AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

41 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Greetings. I just rebased my Ogre Kingdoms army from the old world. My plan is to try to play it in a competitive enviroment next year. But I wonder how an army like Ogor mawtribes could compete with armies like Slaanesh? We feel like a depravity points buffet 😅

I don't have too many games  of the Slaanesh  matchup under my belt, but wow does it feel like an uphill battle. I feel like you would have to  lean towards a shooty list with some gnoblars to put up  a fight.  Besides that, I haven't had too many games that felt unwinnable. As for actual competitive play?

There was a pretty big tournament in Sweden last week with a Mawtribes player in Top 5. I believe the only game he lost was to the Slaanesh player. Obviously one placing  does not make conclusive evidence, and hopefully we'll get a clearer picture with more big tournies. But I feel like they're a very solid army to look into that can pull results.

23 minutes ago, mrgambit said:

I don't have too many games  of the Slaanesh  matchup under my belt, but wow does it feel like an uphill battle. I feel like you would have to  lean towards a shooty list with some gnoblars to put up  a fight.  Besides that, I haven't had too many games that felt unwinnable. As for actual competitive play?

There was a pretty big tournament in Sweden last week with a Mawtribes player in Top 5. I believe the only game he lost was to the Slaanesh player. Obviously one placing  does not make conclusive evidence, and hopefully we'll get a clearer picture with more big tournies. But I feel like they're a very solid army to look into that can pull results.

I'm kind of wondering about that. The way Skaven deal with them is just massive amounts of spells. Just blocking lanes, slowly chipping them away. It's pretty much a counter list which I don't see doing well in general. But maybe multiple spelcasters with endless spells castled around the mawpot with several lines of gnoblars and 2/3 hard hitting units behind that. 

No experience with it but it's something bouncing around in my head so thought I put it down ;) 

3 hours ago, mrgambit said:

I heard that he cheated/played the army wrong. Something about doing mortal wounds where he shouldn't 😣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I heard that he cheated/played the army wrong. Something about doing mortal wounds where he shouldn't 😣

Hi, who played wrong?? Do you have any more information about this, like a statement or something? I'm from Sweden and I know who the mawtribes player is.

2 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Are you saying that others competitive players don't knew the rules of the mawtribes? 

For other part, in the tournament the others players were be in the middle low positions. Specially the beastclaw players. The player in the top 5 only did spam of 36 ogors.

Edited by Sartxac

7 hours ago, Sauriv said:

Hi, who played wrong?? Do you have any more information about this, like a statement or something? I'm from Sweden and I know who the mawtribes player is.

The one who placed 5th at the tournament. I don't have any more intel. I just said "Wow Ogor mawtribes in 5th place?" And a couple of guys who were at the tournament said that he cheated or played them wrong. Don't know if that's true or not 😊

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

I'm kind of wondering about that. The way Skaven deal with them is just massive amounts of spells. Just blocking lanes, slowly chipping them away. It's pretty much a counter list which I don't see doing well in general. But maybe multiple spelcasters with endless spells castled around the mawpot with several lines of gnoblars and 2/3 hard hitting units behind that. 

No experience with it but it's something bouncing around in my head so thought I put it down ;) 

That could be neat! If I can manage it I might try to get a few more games in to test out a few theories like that.  Someone smarter than I will probably have figured some clever list by then.

35 minutes ago, mrgambit said:

That could be neat! If I can manage it I might try to get a few more games in to test out a few theories like that.  Someone smarter than I will probably have figured some clever list by then.

Hehe that’s my strategy as well. Even though I have a big ogor army from the old world by the time I rebase everything the top list will be figures out. (And I’ll just end up doing something different because of my pathological need to be different 😂)

45 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Most of the Mawtribes armies were BCR, and we know they're overcosted.

Übercannons, GluttonButcher feast or vanilla mix are the most efficient and competitive.

Based on what? 

2 hours ago, MKsmash said:

The Honest Wargamer stats do not look good for Mawtribes. 45% win rate isn't great...

Not unexpected. Lots of old players returning. Not yet build into optima forma. I’m convinced it’ll improve. But if it will go much over 50% I would be surprised. (50% I would be happy with personally) 

• Like 1

Hey all :)

After my current Maggotkin project, I'm planning on a 1k Mawtribes army for general games and possibly to team up for AoS double events.

Here is a draft I've been toying with....using the Gluttons and Ironguts to hammer through, Frost Sabres/Gravetide to help with screening etc. Butcher/Slaughtermaster for buffing/support.

Any thoughts?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 86

Or I just go full "smash face" with BCR 😂

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 49

Edited by NinjaBadger7
Add more info

On 11/30/2019 at 9:03 AM, Sartxac said:

Are you saying that others competitive players don't knew the rules of the mawtribes? 

For other part, in the tournament the others players were be in the middle low positions. Specially the beastclaw players. The player in the top 5 only did spam of 36 ogors.

The Stonehorn/Mournfang Thunderbellies list didn't do great, not BCR in general. The others did use quite a few Gluttons as well, even Bloodgullet, but they didn't have any Gnoblars or Hunter/cats.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Hey all :)

After my current Maggotkin project, I'm planning on a 1k Mawtribes army for general games and possibly to team up for AoS double events.

Here is a draft I've been toying with....using the Gluttons and Ironguts to hammer through, Frost Sabres/Gravetide to help with screening etc. Butcher/Slaughtermaster for buffing/support.

Any thoughts?

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- General
- Cleaver
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 86

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 49

Looks good. But you do know you can get an extra spell on both the butcher and the Slaughtermaster for being Bloodgullut right?

1 hour ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Yes thank you 😊

But for some reason Warscroll Builder wouldn't give me the option (that reason could be me 😂)

Yeah it’s why I don’t use it often. It’s usually more accurate to make it yourself. Great tool though. 

what spells will you be taking? 

Edited by Kramer

1 hour ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

This was my thinking...any thoughts?

20191201_111636.jpg

well you can;t cast ribcracker twice in a turn. So that's a bit of redundancy which I don't know if you need. I'm actually starting to like Fleshcrave Curse, ithout having tried it though, to weaken or kill things. You won't use it often but the Butcher will be front and centre so it will be the one casting Bloof Feast and tyour endless spell most likely. Having a second choice of mortal wounds spell is nice. That way you can keep your slaugtermaster closer to the Pot for the +1 as well because his spells have more range. (Boof feast is also 18 but wholly within limits it a bit.)

Do you know what you'll end up playing against?

16 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

In your second list I would split the 2 mournfang units. Then you can turn the stonehorn riders into a huskard togive you the option of the command ability and to get another mount trait.

I think clubs seem stronger than hackers on mournefangs but that might just be person Al preference.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

well you can;t cast ribcracker twice in a turn. So that's a bit of redundancy which I don't know if you need. I'm actually starting to like Fleshcrave Curse, ithout having tried it though, to weaken or kill things. You won't use it often but the Butcher will be front and centre so it will be the one casting Bloof Feast and tyour endless spell most likely. Having a second choice of mortal wounds spell is nice. That way you can keep your slaugtermaster closer to the Pot for the +1 as well because his spells have more range. (Boof feast is also 18 but wholly within limits it a bit.)

Do you know what you'll end up playing against?

Admittedly I was taking ribcracker twice for redundancy but I see the point of taking something else rather than something that may not get used. I suppose Fleshcrave is a bit risk/reward but handy in the right situation 😊

Well I'm looking at using the list in casual/general games and some tournaments so I'm trying to make it as "well rounded" as it can be within reason!

4 hours ago, Frowny said:

In your second list I would split the 2 mournfang units. Then you can turn the stonehorn riders into a huskard togive you the option of the command ability and to get another mount trait.

I think clubs seem stronger than hackers on mournefangs but that might just be person Al preference.

Funnily enough I did spot that after my post - with the spare 20pts swapping the beast riders for a HoSH and separating the mournfangs.

With the 1 in 4 rule for horn blowers/standard bearers - where do we stand with units of 2 for the mournfang? 

What's up everyone, I've been lurking this forum for a while, liking some cool lists and enjoy seeing the vibe of the new book release.

I'm an IJ player looking to build a second army and I really like these fat boys. What's the general consensus of mixing BCR and Foot Ogors? I have to say, I like both kinds and am a fan of good looking models, so I'm thinking I'd enjoy a nice mixed army. I've been watching many book reviews so far but I wanted to get your opinion on the matter. Like mixing mournfangs and gluttons, or a stonehorn and ground units, etc. Would appreciate some insight about this. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jabbuk

11 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

What's up everyone, I've been lurking this forum for a while, liking some cool lists and enjoy seeing the vibe of the new book release.

I'm an IJ player looking to build a second army and I really like these fat boys. What's the general consensus of mixing BCR and Foot Ogors? I have to say, I like both kinds and am a fan of good looking models, so I'm thinking I'd enjoy a nice mixed army. I've been watching many book reviews so far but I wanted to get your opinion on the matter. Like mixing mournfangs and gluttons, or a stonehorn and ground units, etc. Would appreciate some insight about this. Thanks in advance.

You can mix them just fine, most of the buffs in the book can be applied to either BCR or Gutbusters, the restrictions tend to fall in terms of unit type rather than faction keyword.  The Frostlord on Stonehorn is a solid combat monster that can slot into most lists that can spare the points, the various Thundertusks I would not personally consider to be that valuable right now, but that may change with points adjustments down the line.  Mournfang are interesting as their damage output can be quite weak, especially if they don't get the charge, but they are faster than infantry ogors, and I find two model squads with Ironfists quite a valuable tool at times.

• Like 1