AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

I think it wouldn't be too hard to use the bellower arm up by his face and a ton of greenstuff to make a big gout of flame. Just support it with a single pin for structure. I use paperclips.

I'm surprised at how many people are using gluttons. They just don't seem that great, but I guess easy access to rr wounds has a lot of value and they are nearly the cheapest bodies in the codex. That being said the lack of rend  across the board seems like it could be a problem. I ran 700 points  of ogors into 400 points of bonereapers the other day and with the rerollable 3+ save on their basic infa try failed to do more than like 3 wounds...  

It doesn't surprise me that the list with tactical tools is doing the best though. Screens and objective grabbers win games. 

Short answer. Get blood feast on them. If you can throw enough dice at something it will go down eventually. Especially with 2 dmg on every fail. There is also a spell that gives enemy units -1 to save. And multiple ways of dealing mortal wounds. 

Gluttons are A+ tier. You just faced the one army that can take the beating. In my game of yesterday I've had my 12 Gluttons beat an Megaboss on Mawcrusha (eventually) completely unbuffed. And another group of gluttons that was buffed to all hell left an 20 man group of Ardboyz on 6 models remaining. They are fragile though. But for their costs Gluttons are absolutely one of the best units we have (and maybe in Destruction as well).

• Like 2

Yesterday i did a battle with this list:
Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait : Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact : Splatter-cleaver
- Mount Trait : Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blood Feast and Greaz Debyge.
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails and Bibracker.
UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

Vs Non competitive army of skavens and blades of khorne

Allegiance: Khorne more Skavens
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst
- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Arch-Warlock (160)

-General. More more wrap Power. Deranged Inventor
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
-Artefact: Suspicuous Stone.
Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Warplock Jezzails (140)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (250)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

After the battle i think that army of enterely or mostly  Beastclaw Raiders is the weak version of a competitive Ironjawz list. 6 objectives in the map, the add points equally to the actual round.

The battle trait Might Makes Right is excellent, with only one big monster i conquered the objectives. The problem is the magic, with only the Khorne Skulls my butchers didn't nothing in the battle (-2 to cast spells) despite having the mawpot... Two vultures were insufficient to sniper one hero of 5 wounds (the Bloodthirster killed my Beastriders in the turn two after his double turn).

Use Eurlbad is very good. We need take other mount trait and artefact, the use of the mawpot to heal our units is pretty. With a big effort our Mournfag packk could kill anything in a charge (+2 charge with the Granitetooth and his natural +1, the cp of the huskard St and the spell to do one attack more with all melee weapons). I loss only for 1 point (36vs35) in this funny battle.

Edited by Sartxac
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, FPC said:

Average damage from 700 points of Gluttons should be much higher than 3....assuming all of them get to strike. Not by a lot, but 3 damage is lower than what should be average. Did one of you roll really poorly/well?

There are plenty of targets that Gluttons thrive. They’re widely regarded as a great battleline for good reason.

Not a whole lot higher. 12 gluttons that all get in, with 36 swings and 12 bites generate about 4.9 wounds on avg to mortek guard with 3+ petrifex with full rerolls. That being said. with decent 4+ MW on the charge rolls and one or two dice to not be average and you just bodied the 10 man  unit. 30 man squads are a difference story. You are gonna want a metal cruncher flosh for that nonsense. 

In my last game against OBR my bright and shiny stars were leadbelchers. That 1 rend makes the WORLD of difference vs Mortek Guard.  knocking that avg damage from 4 and change to 7 + on average dice.  I always bring atleast 10 Leadbelchers with me, they are money every game. 

5 hours ago, Sartxac said:

Yesterday i did a battle with this list:
Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait : Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact : Splatter-cleaver
- Mount Trait : Old Granitetooth
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blood Feast and Greaz Debyge.
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails and Bibracker.
UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

Vs Non competitive army of skavens and blades of khorne

Allegiance: Khorne more Skavens
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst
- Artefact: Halo of Blood
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Arch-Warlock (160)

-General. More more wrap Power. Deranged Inventor
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
-Artefact: Suspicuous Stone.
Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (250)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

After the battle i think that army of enterely or mostly  Beastclaw Raiders is the weak version of a competitive Ironjawz list. 6 objectives in the map, the add points equally to the actual round.

The battle trait Might Makes Right is excellent, with only one big monster i conquered the objectives. The problem is the magic, with only the Khorne Skulls my butchers didn't nothing in the battle (-2 to cast spells) despite having the mawpot... Two vultures were insufficient to sniper one hero of 5 wounds (the Bloodthirster killed my Beastriders in the turn two after his double turn).

Use Eurlbad is very good. We need take other mount trait and artefact, the use of the mawpot to heal our units is pretty. With a big effort our Mournfag packk could kill anything in a charge (+2 charge with the Granitetooth and his natural +1, the cp of the huskard St and the spell to do one attack more with all melee weapons). I loss only for 1 point (36vs35) in this funny battle.

I keep telling myself that Bloodgullet is a trap, that hard casting 7's as an army ability is trash, and then I make my army bloodgullet anyways.  I never seem to get more than one spell off a round, even with the extra casts. I never seem to stay near the mawpot because your army tends to move towards the enemy quickly and if you stay with the pot you will get out of range rapidly.  Doubling down on the ability to cast amazing spells, with a subpar chance seems silly. But you know, meatfist sucks so here I am. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

I keep telling myself that Bloodgullet is a trap, that hard casting 7's as an army ability is trash, and then I make my army bloodgullet anyways.  I never seem to get more than one spell off a round, even with the extra casts. I never seem to stay near the mawpot because your army tends to move towards the enemy quickly and if you stay with the pot you will get out of range rapidly.  Doubling down on the ability to cast amazing spells, with a subpar chance seems silly. But you know, meatfist sucks so here I am. 

At least the CA is very solid in Bloodgullet.

The CA is decent, the relic is one of the better ones forced on you for taking a tribe. Our spell lore is in the running for one of the best in the game, except for the 7 to cast on most and no "good" ways to get bonuses.  I think it was Doom and Darkness review where he said casting spells in mawtribes is like gambling. You are just hoping one goes off, not counting on all of them to go off." Or something along those lines and thats pretty close to the truth. Our spells are so decent, that just one going off is enough to help your army win whatever fight its about to embark on and that is saying something. I just see so many people say they played into army X with +1/2/3/4/whatever to deny and they didnt cast anything all game. 

Has anybody had any success with Firebelly and a balewind vortex? Seems kinda cheeky and sneaky to hang out behind your line and deal consistent mortal wounds to people who engage your gluttons. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hebroseph said:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Balewind Vortex? You get to sit next to the pot and still have the reach.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Balewind Vortex? You get to sit next to the pot and still have the reach.

I proxied it in one match, and my opponent just moved away from me. That could of just been placement, we play with terrain heavy tables in my meta, and it makes putting the pot where i need it kinda inconvenient

8 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

How people had a chance to run double Frostlord on Stonehorn? As someone interested in lower model count army I was wondering how viable that type of a list would be. 

It would depend on how the rest of your list was built. All stonehorn is not a terrible thing, but it has some glaring weaknesses. Namely every loss, is 10 Objective holders gone so depending on the mission, this can be devastating very quickly.  If you took 2 i think a battalion would be mandatory so they both could have mount traits. Ethereal amulet and metalcruncher on one to wear down their good armor save units, and another with clatterhorns to one shot units is a decent choice. 

2 hours ago, Hebroseph said:

It would depend on how the rest of your list was built. All stonehorn is not a terrible thing, but it has some glaring weaknesses. Namely every loss, is 10 Objective holders gone so depending on the mission, this can be devastating very quickly.  If you took 2 i think a battalion would be mandatory so they both could have mount traits. Ethereal amulet and metalcruncher on one to wear down their good armor save units, and another with clatterhorns to one shot units is a decent choice. 

Just run Boulderhead. Then both FLoSH get a mount trait and every model gets an extra wound. Plus all the other stuff is pretty decent in a monster mash list.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Just run Boulderhead. Then both FLoSH get a mount trait and every model gets an extra wound. Plus all the other stuff is pretty decent in a monster mash list.

Boulderhead locks you into a warlord trait and a relic. Now granted Boulderhead is one of the better tribes we can take, it shouldnt be seen as auto include if you are taking 2 Big BCR riders. Taking them in Bloodgullet and giving your FLosh the splatter cleaver so that he heals both of them every time he kills a model will give you way more value than +1 hitpoints. If you play in a very shooty meta, you could run them as Winterbite for the -1 to hit that first turn while in your territory. That plus the off chance that your Frost Lords spear can grow in damage each turn is kinda neat. 

If you play BCR, odds are you have a hunter and 4 cats. If so Skal is an easy and great Battalion to run. Deepstriking is one of the strongest abilities in the game, along with free CP, Free Relic, Free Mount Trait, all rolled into one low low cost package. 

After all of that, yes, sometimes its just easier to run in Boulderhead, but the army is too new to just make broad sweeping assumptions like you always need to run X tribe if Y is true. 

8 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

Boulderhead locks you into a warlord trait and a relic. Now granted Boulderhead is one of the better tribes we can take, it shouldnt be seen as auto include if you are taking 2 Big BCR riders. Taking them in Bloodgullet and giving your FLosh the splatter cleaver so that he heals both of them every time he kills a model will give you way more value than +1 hitpoints. If you play in a very shooty meta, you could run them as Winterbite for the -1 to hit that first turn while in your territory. That plus the off chance that your Frost Lords spear can grow in damage each turn is kinda neat. 

If you play BCR, odds are you have a hunter and 4 cats. If so Skal is an easy and great Battalion to run. Deepstriking is one of the strongest abilities in the game, along with free CP, Free Relic, Free Mount Trait, all rolled into one low low cost package. 

After all of that, yes, sometimes its just easier to run in Boulderhead, but the army is too new to just make broad sweeping assumptions like you always need to run X tribe if Y is true. 

Yeah MB, I thought you were replying to the guy who recommended 2 FLoSH and 4 SHBR

I'm finding taking the battalions an issue because it has to be Huskards to count towards the min requirements. 

I haven't got the full list or details mapped out yet, but I'm trying to make a BD list with FLoSH, HoSH and HoTT work, getting the most out of the free mount traits. 

I don't find that the other relics are so good that there worth paying 140 points for a battalion, when points are at a premium already in BCR lists. 

I have a Bloodgullot list i'm happy with but to continue painting I also need a Underguts list to keep painting towards something. I just order a second Ironblaster so don't have more of those. Also don't have a Frostlord (until christmas if I understood the shocked reaction when I suggestion ordering a BCR SC yesterday 😂)

Any suggestions based on this?

Underguts
120 FireBelly - Gnoblar Blast Keg - Tongues of Flame
160 Tyrant - General - Mass of Scars - Fateseeker - Trophy rack
120 Hunter
120 Cats x 6
220 IronGuts x4
400 LeadBelchers x10
400 Gluttons x12 - Two weapons
240 IronBlasters x2
100 Gnoblars x20
120 Tyrant's GutGuard

Hunter and Cats set up last. forcing my opponent to keep somethings back and hopefully letting him come on in waves rather that as a block. If the cats add no value to deepstrike i'll use them as an extra screen. Tyrant and Gutbusters will run of in a second wave to take out enemy heroes with trophy rack. As long as possible keeping the Ironblasters in range as well. Two big blocks of Ogors to claim objectives. 

I could drop some Gluttons for a butcher or go for 8 Ironguts. 
I also don't have the models but could go for two gorgers for the backfield threat instead of the Hunter with Cats for some backfield pressure. 
Book got me really excited! Can't stop painting now!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I have a Bloodgullot list i'm happy with but to continue painting I also need a Underguts list to keep painting towards something. I just order a second Ironblaster so don't have more of those. Also don't have a Frostlord (until christmas if I understood the shocked reaction when I suggestion ordering a BCR SC yesterday 😂)

Any suggestions based on this?

Underguts
120 FireBelly - Gnoblar Blast Keg - Tongues of Flame
160 Tyrant - General - Mass of Scars - Fateseeker - Trophy rack
120 Hunter
120 Cats x 6
220 IronGuts x4
400 LeadBelchers x10
400 Gluttons x12 - Two weapons
240 IronBlasters x2
100 Gnoblars x20
120 Tyrant's GutGuard

Hunter and Cats set up last. forcing my opponent to keep somethings back and hopefully letting him come on in waves rather that as a block. If the cats add no value to deepstrike i'll use them as an extra screen. Tyrant and Gutbusters will run of in a second wave to take out enemy heroes with trophy rack. As long as possible keeping the Ironblasters in range as well. Two big blocks of Ogors to claim objectives. 

I could drop some Gluttons for a butcher or go for 8 Ironguts. 
I also don't have the models but could go for two gorgers for the backfield threat instead of the Hunter with Cats for some backfield pressure. 
Book got me really excited! Can't stop painting now!

I like the list. I'm a big fan of a hunter and a cat pile as a way to put pressure on the opponent. Sure they die to a stiff breeze, but it still requires your opponent to turn and address them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

You need a Butcher with the spell that "transform" your Rhinox into Monsters... If you play in the Realm of Shadows you need a secondary plan for your Ironblasters

That's a good call. Worth losing 3 guts and the Flame spell for? 🤔 Probably. I'll give it a go because it does seem like a big help. And an easy cast. 

This list is for friendly games only (unless it ends up surprisingly good, haha) and we rarely play with realm rules. But very very true. If you want Underguts at a tournament you need that plan B if Shadows is in the pack. I do think we suffer less from it than ranged lists such as Cities as we still can fight with our shooting units. 

48 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Has anyone ever converted the Mournfang Riders into Ironguts? I know they are kinda of crouched down and in a sitting pose but do you think it's possible?

The legs wil be too bendy fo my tastes. I'll add a side by side in a minute. The weapon swap does work and does look cool though. Thinking of getting a Start collecting and don't want to field Mournfang?

Side by side  (and the latest addition to show my painting progress since getting back in the hobby 😂)

4FE9AD1E-DF5C-411E-B590-53F94778B777.jpeg.10bf00888d56b51723ad3d55f293f3c3.jpegA35A72CC-E606-4E00-98FB-A87E5A60EDB3.jpeg.8bd39f3c0d87ec8a4791c03be170589e.jpeg

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1