AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

1.000 point list.

I’m attending a small team charity tournament, 1.000 points (Vanguard) for each player.

My friend is bringing ‘Big WAAAGH’, an Ardfist battalion with a lot of Ardboys and some spellcasters, so he basically wants to be as much in close combat as possible. The trick is that whenever at Ardboy regiment gets destroyed, he can spend a command point to see (4+) if he gets a new Ardboy regiment back, so the sooner some of his regiments dies, the better.

With him bringing the bodies for close combat and some magic, I’m unsure on how I best complement his army list. Normally I would have gone for a big block of Gluttons with a butcher behind, but this might distract our enemies from killing the Ardboys fast, so I don’t think its worth getting into combat with large regiments. His weakness is mainly speed and therefore the objective game.

My first though was to go for an all BCR with a FLoSH, a Stonehorn Beastrider and some Mournfangs, this would give me a lot of punching power and mobility, but with nothing to do while holding the objectives.

This lead me to the following ideas:

FLoSH (Ethereal Amulet)

Skal Battalion:
Icebrow Hunter
5 x 2 Frost sabres
1 x 2 Frost sabres
1 x 2 Frost sabres
1 x 2 Frost sabres
1 x 2 Frost sabres

2 drops, FLoSH because he hits like a truck and is quite tanky, meanwhile deep striking the Hunter and the large regiment of Frost Sabres, while the small units of Frost Sabres zone out enemy deep strikes and take objectives.

Alternatively for some ranged support, which doesn’t really feel worth it without the Undergut tribe, but if I take them, then I’ll have to include a battalion if I want the artifact ‘Grusome Throphy Rack’ for the Iron Blasters, so its kinda meh so maybe I should just drop the Tyrant for a butcher and the Ironblasters for more Leadbelchers?

Tyrant (Grusome Throphy Rack)
6 Leadbelchers
2 Ironblasters

Skal Battalion:
Icebrow Hunter
2 x 2 Frost sabres
1 x 2 Frost sabres

Any other suggestions?

9 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I hadn't seen that bit.

Still does not make me want to play thundertusks. 320 points is just far too much for 2 prayers and their terrible snowball. I guess I'm more frustrated with the low base output of the warscroll though. It does too little damage against almost every target for a 300 point model. For 300 points in any other army, you could be getting 4 prayers or even 6 prayers that go off on 3's or so, not 2 prayers, and occasionally they'd come with other with other useful buffing features.  Looking at a fyreslayers runesmiter (Who is really very similar) for only 240 points makes me sad. 

It should work out to do better damage than my Lord of Change who is more expensive and doesn’t come with the benefit of being 10 models.

8 hours ago, Frowny said:

Thundertusks also seem pretty useless, just not nearly enough ranged output for a 300 point model to justify it on that end.

No one seems to be noticing that Thundertusks gained 2 movement, 3.5 MWs on charge, 20% ranged damage output on large units, mount and allegiance traits, and greater objective holding ability (more relevant on units with ranged attacks) while dropping in cost.

A charging TT averages 9.5 MWs on a large unit before any attacks are even made. They aren't even more squishy in melee when you factor in how their -1 to be hit stacks with the new -1 to be hit spells and better chances to get Geminids off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, EldritchX said:

No one seems to be noticing that Thundertusks gained 2 movement, 3.5 MWs on charge, 20% ranged damage output on large units, mount and allegiance traits, and greater objective holding ability (more relevant on units with ranged attacks) while dropping in cost.

A charging TT averages 9.5 MWs on a large unit before any attacks are even made. They aren't even more squishy in melee when you factor in how their -1 to be hit stacks with the new -1 to be hit spells and better chances to get Geminids off.

Hey hey hey, this is the Internet no place for reasoned and well thought out opinions :)  

Some good points I was down on TT but maybe need to give another look. Stonehorn does just feel so juicy though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EldritchX said:

Thank you for motivating me to finish painting the model 😄

Maybe with some yhetees he should be a reasonable objective holder in smaller games. I’ll try and see 😎

3 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

Aw, man. So it’s back to basics. Tyrant not worth it, single HoTT not worth it. Hunter&.Sabers yes, Gluttons only if 12. Butcher rebasing. 

And I thought I almost had an army. 😅

Well can't judge the HoTT thing. But everything else is highly debatable. The Tyrant ability on screens of gnoblars is amazing. And even with the bravery buff for eating it really hurts if ogors run. So there is definitely a point for it to be made against shooting armies. 

The rebasing thing is annoying. Just ordered new bases, just now realised also need 50mm for my maneaters. 

17 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I would just buy a base of the right size, then fill it with a cooking device big enough that the base doesn’t look too empty. 😊

Oh that's definitely my thought process :)

I've seen a model cauldron (well plastic toy!) on Amazon that looks to be a similar size but I just wanted the official size for a comparison.

@XhilaYou could try to build a list based around assassination and shooting from a distance.  I'm not saying it'll at all be good, but it may be something to think about:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Winter Ranger
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
40 x Gnoblars (200)
1 x Grot Scraplauncher (120)
Junkmob (100)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

Aim to take out blobs with your Scraplaunchers.  Aim to either assassinate with the Hunter+Frost Sabres, or else cap objectives. Gain D3 CP every round that the Hunter is in ambush and use it to reroll ones in shooting for the Tyrant/Scraplaunchers.   Your buddy might appreciate you removing screens for him, so he can get stuck in with things in the back. 

Again, not saying it's good.  But might be something to consider.

3 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Yeah I looked at that picture too but it seemed like it could have been a perspective issue at the time. The feet would be hanging over on a 40mil base though. So I think you’re right. Hopefully they update it soon.

I made that one before the book released so here's an update :D 

40mm left, 50mm right

butcher base.png

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ryanguy88 said:

@XhilaYou could try to build a list based around assassination and shooting from a distance.  I'm not saying it'll at all be good, but it may be something to think about:

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Winter Ranger
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
40 x Gnoblars (200)
Junkmob (100)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

Aim to take out blobs with your Scraplaunchers.  Aim to either assassinate with the Hunter+Frost Sabres, or else cap objectives. Gain D3 CP every round that the Hunter is in ambush and use it to reroll ones in shooting for the Tyrant/Scraplaunchers.   Your buddy might appreciate you removing screens for him, so he can get stuck in with things in the back. 

Again, not saying it's good.  But might be something to consider.

With the pistol artifact take the +1 damage vs monsters big name and he will be gunning them down in now time :)  

19 hours ago, Frowny said:

I don't see much love for BCR, but I'm not sure why. 

I think a lot of it is just because this is the first time that Gutbusters have had a battletome and all of the goodies that come with it. So there's gonna be a lean towards all of the excited  Gutbuster players wanting to discuss their brand new toys.  But I feel like It'll even out in the coming weeks as more and more people want to  explore the other side of the mawtribes.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mrgambit said:

I think a lot of it is just because this is the first time that Gutbusters have had a battletome and all of the goodies that come with it. So there's gonna be a lean towards all of the excited  Gutbuster players wanting to discuss their brand new toys.  But I feel like It'll even out in the coming weeks as more and more people want to  explore the other side of the mawtribes.

It also seems like some BCR player (maybe most, hard to say) feel let down by the book. BCR has been pretty meh for a while, and not a lot has changed. They definitely got some buffs, but there seems to be a somewhat common conception that this was a missed opportunity to totally rework and (ideally) improve the faction. Instead, BCR seems to be a clumsily forced army that is just here to get by in 2.0.  I’m not saying this is necessarily true, but it doesn’t seem likely that pure BCR is going to be a top competitive contender. 

1 hour ago, FPC said:

It also seems like some BCR player (maybe most, hard to say) feel let down by the book. BCR has been pretty meh for a while, and not a lot has changed. They definitely got some buffs, but there seems to be a somewhat common conception that this was a missed opportunity to totally rework and (ideally) improve the faction. Instead, BCR seems to be a clumsily forced army that is just here to get by in 2.0.  I’m not saying this is necessarily true, but it doesn’t seem likely that pure BCR is going to be a top competitive contender. 

I might have been annoyed by a total rework if it changed the roles and functions of units a lot. I'm happy that BCR units largely remained unchanged but got improvements tacked on.

I guess some people might be stuck on the idea of BCR being an army by itself, but I started when Ogres were a single book, so I'm glad that BCR units now have in-faction (buffed!) wizards once again, even if they aren't similarly themed. In fact, before release, I was a bit worried that the themed Allegiances would only apply to either GB or BCR keywords, so I was happy to see that wasn't the case.

The improvements to BCR units seem to have mostly gone under the radar so far, but I believe they're more significant than many think at the moment. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Also your Huskards on Thundertusks get 1 Blizzard Speaker prayer attempt(not globally limited to 1 per turn like the Everwinter prayers)and 1 prayer attempt for Everwinter prayers(pg 71); and they cumulatively buff each others’ Blizzard Speaker prayers, and three of the Mawtribes get a +1 buff to a specific Everwinter prayer.

So you can get your Blizzard Speaker prayers down to at least 2+(unsure of prayers autofail on 1s but if they don’t you can table failure out of possibility) and one of the Everwinter prayers down to 3+.

Why can buff so many times?Can't understand,can you explain more?

9 hours ago, FPC said:

I can't help but feel that I got a different Mawtribes book to every one else...the BCR are frankly amazing. All they needed to make them competitive was the might makes right rule, everything else is just bonus, and boy is it a lot of bonus. I've played 6 games with pure BCR and 1 combined with gutbusters...and that's the last time the gutbusters will ever grace my table, they just don't compare in away way to the BCR stuff which over 6 games is so far undefeated.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Karragon said:

I can't help but feel that I got a different Mawtribes book to every one else...the BCR are frankly amazing. All they needed to make them competitive was the might makes right rule, everything else is just bonus, and boy is it a lot of bonus. I've played 6 games with pure BCR and 1 combined with gutbusters...and that's the last time the gutbusters will ever grace my table, they just don't compare in away way to the BCR stuff which over 6 games is so far undefeated.

Report us your list and which army did you play already ? 

Just now, Arkahn said:

Report us your list and which army did you play already ? 

I posted the list a couple of pages back when I reported winning a 1 day tournament with it but you can find it before for your convinience:

Spoiler

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)

- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture

- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient

Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
-
 Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
-
 Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

I've switched between the ethereal amulet and thermalrider cloak on the frostlord a couple of time, ethereal rarely helps as few things get chance to attack him. Did admittedly help against shootcast but I find moving 19" and flying to be far more terrifying

As to what I've fought: Slyvaneth, Shootcast, Ironjawz, Fyreslayers, LoN, Khorne

Could any of my opponents have won? Certainly, double turn for BCR is ridiculously strong though, 3 of those games ended top of turn 2, two of them top of turn 3. So far shootcast is the only army I haven't tabled and they ended turn 5 with 2 liberators left (to my 1 frostlord + 1 mournfang).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arkahn said:

@Karragon really want to try your list ! A slaughtermaster / butcher can be a good addition no ? Molten entrails might be powerful ! 

In most cases +1 dmg hasn't been necessary, the stonehorn's horns are already 4dmg each on the charge. I played against Khorne on Tuesday night and in 4 rounds of combat with 3 stonehorns I think I only got as far as the hooves twice without everything already being dead. Also he's slow, needs to stay near the cauldron for the +1 cast so he's probably going to be out of range and ultimately he's only a 1 cast wizard, most armies will either shut him down fairly easily or at least have a fair chance of stopping his cast.

It's a good fun list, you get lots of practice apologising to your opponents for ending the game on turn 2...😅 from what everyone was saying before it game out I was expecting a middle of the pack army that I could play in friendly games but it's a lot stronger than people give it credit for 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Karragon said:

In most cases +1 dmg hasn't been necessary, the stonehorn's horns are already 4dmg each on the charge. I played against Khorne on Tuesday night and in 4 rounds of combat with 3 stonehorns I think I only got as far as the hooves twice without everything already being dead. Also he's slow, needs to stay near the cauldron for the +1 cast so he's probably going to be out of range and ultimately he's only a 1 cast wizard, most armies will either shut him down fairly easily or at least have a fair chance of stopping his cast.

It's a good fun list, you get lots of practice apologising to your opponents for ending the game on turn 2...😅 from what everyone was saying before it game out I was expecting a middle of the pack army that I could play in friendly games but it's a lot stronger than people give it credit for 

Good work! 

A few people dabbling with Eurlbad it seems :). I definitely feel as the core of a BCR based force it’s very strong. 

Mine doesn’t have HoTT but some more Mournfang and some support / chaff models but I may have to give him a try.