AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

You know while Brag has been regulated to being just another Maneater, doesn't he make an excellent Butcher stand in? I mean his entire purpose back then was to be an Ogre Executioner.

1 hour ago, Barkanaut said:

So how do Ogre Mawtribes stack up power level to other armies? Also any big changes to the Beastclaw Raiders if I want to run them mono? 

I'd say Mid to Mid High Tier depending on how you go with them. They're no Skaven or FEC, but I think GW has done a pretty good job of making 2.0 books at least mid tier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I have another question regarding the assembly of Gluttons that I hope you guys can help with.  In the sprues for 6 gluttons, and on the picture on GW website, we see 2 Gnoblars. That being said, on the warscrolls, the only mention there is about these guys is the guy in the banner, the Lookout dude. 

What are these guys for and what are their stats, etc? Do we build 2 foot Gnoblars per 6 Gluttons? If someone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.

GW themselves used to place them on the igor bases. Their just decoration. That said save them up as i now have more than 25 which saves me a box. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKsmash said:

I have a question about something that I simply do not understand, specifically your 3rd sentence (as I've seen this before).  

"The Butcher model though, has got to be the ugliest model I have ever seen and almost turned me off to buy the army altogether."

I mean no offense @Jabbuk, but an ugly model turning off from buying an army? C'mon now.

I can get disliking a model, even HATING it, but stopping you from starting an army is just silly. 

If someone could explain to me all the all-out despise at the Butcher (and yhetees, for that), it would be much appreciated.

It's cool man, no offense taken and I can understand why you would think that. I think in the end it's all about how important it is to you and how much care you put on them when you paint them, etc. I'm on the side of the spectrum where I really like putting a lot of care and I enjoy having an army that looks good, because that's important to me. It's kind of a projection of myself.

Having models that I consider don't look good to me, and that are key army components means that I will always see them and it does bother me. It's a personal preference and I totally understand that some ppl might not understand. That being said, I love A LOT of the model designs and it's enough to convince me to go forward with it.

Got a win against Clan Pestilens in an escalating league, 1500 pts. Played Focal Points in the Realm of Beasts and each of us had a store-provided Ghorgon to use.

My list: 

No Tribe

1 Tyrant w/ Trophy rack

1 Slaughtermaster w/ Questionable Hygiene

2 x 12 Gluttons. One w/ Double weapons, one w/ Ironfists.

4 Leadbelchers

40 Gnoblars 

Balewind Vortex

Skaven List (from what I remember):

Pestilens

Verminlord Corruptor w/ Sword of Judgment

Plague Priest on Furnace

3 x Plague Priests

2 x 40 Plague Monks

15 Plague Censer Bearers

Failed all my spells the whole game so that was useless.

Managed to go first. Bullied a big 12 Glutton block, parked the 40 Gnoblars in front of them to prepare for a charge as they moved towards the center.

Charged the Gorgon into a group of Censer Bearers, and did a grand total of 3 damage. Retaliation did a few wounds. They would be there for half the game, but the Ghorgon would eventually kill them, eat a plague priest, and kill the other plague priest.

The center area got charged by all the Plague Monks, and the Ghorgon. Gnoblars were nearly wiped out by one unit of Monks, and then both unit of Monks got halfway wiped by Gluttons piling in, before they themselves took a fair number of losses from the second squad of piling in Monks.

It was a back and forth after that. Gluttons get wiped, another squad charges in to wipe out a unit of Monks.

The Tyrant charged and killed the Ghorgon though.

The Leadbelchers also moved forward to provide support, but they simply acted as a roadblock.

The second unit of Gluttons held their own against the remaining unit of Plague Monks, the Furnace, and the Verminlord though. 

Enough for me to constantly claim the central and two objectives every turn. At the end of it, I got tabled. And only the Furnace and a single Plague Priest remained. But I was far enough ahead in Victory points to grab the victory.

Odd rulings in Focal Points though. Does a monster you control for a turn in the Realm of Beasts in that scenario count as a unit for the purpose of claiming objectives? Only applied at the end of the game there where I was tabled, but since my opponent has the closest models to it, the Ghorgon's control shifts to me. Can I use that to grab objectives?

• Like 2

I'm thinking on this list to play in future tournaments. What all of you think of this?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

I'm absolutely in love with the Boulderhead tribe + Eurlbad combination. Even the "humble" Huskard become a beast with the Brand and the Metalcruncher. Slaughtermaster to buff the Gluttons and a healing over the FLoSH. 3 drops I think it's really good to get 1st turn or to give it to the opponent if the situation needs it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MirelurkCakes said:

A little confused about the ogor glutton standard bearer wording, can you have a lookout gnoblar and beast skull in a unit of 6 or do you need a unit of 12 to take both?

You need a unit of 12, sadly. However, you're not going to take Ogors in a unit smaller than 12 though right? 😉

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MirelurkCakes said:

A little confused about the ogor glutton standard bearer wording, can you have a lookout gnoblar and beast skull in a unit of 6 or do you need a unit of 12 to take both?

You can take both in a unit of 6 as it specifically states one of each per 6. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

I'm thinking on this list to play in future tournaments. What all of you think of this?

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

I'm absolutely in love with the Boulderhead tribe + Eurlbad combination. Even the "humble" Huskard become a beast with the Brand and the Metalcruncher. Slaughtermaster to buff the Gluttons and a healing over the FLoSH. 3 drops I think it's really good to get 1st turn or to give it to the opponent if the situation needs it.

I toke a similar list to this, I ended up giving up turn 3 against a skaven tide list which destroyed me with two warp cannons and magic. He got a double turn and that was it. I would drop the frost Lord or gluttons and take 10 leadbelchers. The leadbelchers help force your opponent to not sit back and nuke from afar. 

Quick question. Might have Ogors game soon against cites of Sigmar. First time with Ogors. Likely top face Gotrek Gurnson (maybe 2000 points).
So I'm thinking of hurling chaff at him to slow him down. Either Frostsabers (40k Fernis wolves) or Gnopblars I actually can make 20 from Ogor units I have but for more, I'm using my blood reavers (left over form original AOS battle box) as "counts as". What would people recommend?

I feel Gnobalrs would be good but slow and Frostrsbaers need a hunter to really work (which I haven't got a nice conversion for yet)

5 minutes ago, BionicRope64 said:

Quick question. Might have Ogors game soon against cites of Sigmar. First time with Ogors. Likely top face Gotrek Gurnson (maybe 2000 points).
So I'm thinking of hurling chaff at him to slow him down. Either Frostsabers (40k Fernis wolves) or Gnopblars I actually can make 20 from Ogor units I have but for more, I'm using my blood reavers (left over form original AOS battle box) as "counts as". What would people recommend?

I feel Gnobalrs would be good but slow and Frostrsbaers need a hunter to really work (which I haven't got a nice conversion for yet)

I would go with Gnoblars. They will be a pain in the ****** and provide lots of dice against him, which will be necessary.

1 hour ago, Soolong said:

I toke a similar list to this, I ended up giving up turn 3 against a skaven tide list which destroyed me with two warp cannons and magic. He got a double turn and that was it. I would drop the frost Lord or gluttons and take 10 leadbelchers. The leadbelchers help force your opponent to not sit back and nuke from afar. 

What else did you face against? The FLoSH with Amulet is a good counter of that shooting, isn't it? A 3+ unrendable paired with a 5++ with 14 wounds (that you can heal through Slaughtermaster) is something that can attract almost all the shooting of the enemy. Anyways, yes, I think that swap the Gluttons to Leadbelchers can be viable if needed.

@Zorki I have to look more careful through the spells. I liked Blood Feast because it converts the Gluttons into an unstoppable force.

3 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

I have to look more careful through the spells. I liked Blood Feast because it converts the Gluttons into an unstoppable force.

I had a Blood-feasted Slaughtermaster cauldron-buffed unit of 12 Gluttons attack a unit of 10 liberators. 49 dice 2+ to hit (6's inflicting 2 hits) 3+ to wound (re-rolling all fails cuz Bloodgullet command ability) no rend (sadface) 2 damage apiece. Needless to say, the liberators died.

8 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

What else did you face against? The FLoSH with Amulet is a good counter of that shooting, isn't it? A 3+ unrendable paired with a 5++ with 14 wounds (that you can heal through Slaughtermaster) is something that can attract almost all the shooting of the enemy. Anyways, yes, I think that swap the Gluttons to Leadbelchers can be viable if needed.

@Zorki I have to look more careful through the spells. I liked Blood Feast because it converts the Gluttons into an unstoppable force.

A 3+ means nothing in a MW spam meta (warp cannon does MW for instance), the 5++ is nice but against a lot of attacks your struggle,  Also I wouldn't relie on the slaughtermaster healing/buffing because of 'wholly within' and our large base sizes, you will have to make an objective choice and split up your army. 

So I played in a one day tournament on Saturday, 18 players, which I won. Whilst not the most competitive bunch of players and with no overly gamey lists (no Slaanesh), my maw tribes were pretty dominant. The list was: 

Spoiler

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)

- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture

- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient

Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
-
Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
-
Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

I played against Anvils Stormcast, pig heavy Ironjawz and magma-pipe Fyreslayers. The only 2 models I didn't manage to kill was a pair of liberators in game 1, both other games I tabled my opponents. No one managed to kill the Frost Lord. Now, none of that is to say that the BCR were overpowered, none of my opponents felt that they couldn't win. Game 3 against the Fyreslayers for instance would have gone very differently without a double turn, but they are, appropriately, a snowball army, once they start to get the upper hand it's hard to push them back. They're also loads of fun.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Soolong said:

A 3+ means nothing in a MW spam meta (warp cannon does MW for instance), the 5++ is nice but against a lot of attacks your struggle,  Also I wouldn't relie on the slaughtermaster healing/buffing because of 'wholly within' and our large base sizes, you will have to make an objective choice and split up your army. 

Just to add to this.  The wholly within is helped by the big slaughter master base. Move him sideways up with the ogor unit in front and you’ll be good. Two big units might be hard though. 

@Soolong I’m probably wrong but there is not much in the game that is better defended against mw than things with a 5++ right? Or am I missing some combo’s? 

Regarding the slaughtermaster conversion ideas, I have to look at my feast of bones kit, but I’m thinking about seeing if the catapult disc part from the ironblaster/scraplauncher kit (sorry, I don’t know the proper term for that part of a catapult) and having some Gnoblars holding it up, maybe with the gnoblar holding the torch/match from the leadbelcher kit, and have “Great Wok” instead of a Great Cauldron.  Will let folks know if the sizing works once I start fiddling with it.

This is the list I'm currently trying. I've only managed 1 game with a friend so far, but I was pleased with how it performed. The magic support from the slaughtermasters allows 4 spells per turn (a mystic shield for the FLoSH, both buff spells, and a debuff if in range) and slightly better than a coin flip odds of getting the +1 to hit bonus on my unit of 4 Mournfang which, when combined with the Huskard command ability, makes them hit like a truck. Still relatively new to AoS and very new to the faction though so I would certainly be open to other's thoughts.

- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact : Splatter-cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blood Feast, Ribcracker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails, Greasy Deluge

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers

BEHEMOTHS
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 99

36 minutes ago, Jraak said:

This is the list I'm currently trying. I've only managed 1 game with a friend so far, but I was pleased with how it performed. The magic support from the slaughtermasters allows 4 spells per turn (a mystic shield for the FLoSH, both buff spells, and a debuff if in range) and slightly better than a coin flip odds of getting the +1 to hit bonus on my unit of 4 Mournfang which, when combined with the Huskard command ability, makes them hit like a truck. Still relatively new to AoS and very new to the faction though so I would certainly be open to other's thoughts.

- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact : Splatter-cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic : Blood Feast, Ribcracker
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails, Greasy Deluge

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers

BEHEMOTHS
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

BATTALIONS
Eurlbad (140)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 99

How have you found the big mournfang bases? They felt so unwieldy to me previously. 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

How have you found the big mournfang bases? They felt so unwieldy to me previously. 

I've found them to be fine. The models are stable on them. Getting all of them in with units larger than 4 can be challenging though.

• Like 1

I recently had a very frustrating loss against Shootcast. He used Ballistas to really annoy me, but I was winning for most of the game. However, at the end he used a command ability that allowed him to bring back a unit of 10 liberators once they died anywhere on the board on a 5+. He got this off twice, resulting in my loss of 23-25. If the command ability had gone off only once, I might have had a chance. 

The units all performed very well, including  a unit of 12 buffed Gluttons one-shotting his unit of 10. I learned that the Tyrant is difficult to use on his own, as he is much less dangerous now.  Ironguts kicked ass, including a unit of 4 killing a unit of 10 Vanguard-Hunters. Slaughtermaster is ultimately far better than the Butcher unless you plan on using them for melee (which I would not recommend because of their 5+ save).

I think I will take out the Gutguard (IT IS GARBAGE, DO NOT USE!) and my SHBR and replace it with another unit of 12 Gluttons. After that, I got some Boulderhead lists to try out!

11 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

Regarding the slaughtermaster conversion ideas, I have to look at my feast of bones kit, but I’m thinking about seeing if the catapult disc part from the ironblaster/scraplauncher kit (sorry, I don’t know the proper term for that part of a catapult) and having some Gnoblars holding it up, maybe with the gnoblar holding the torch/match from the leadbelcher kit, and have “Great Wok” instead of a Great Cauldron.  Will let folks know if the sizing works once I start fiddling with it.

I’m thinking of something similar. File down the “scrap” And use some spare heads, skulls, meats from various Ogors, etc.  Size shouldn’t be too off, and really only the base size is important.

Edited by FPC