AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Has anyone tried Maneaters? By math, they work out the hardest hitting in the codex if you assume they are charging after their throwing attacks. Kinda somewhere between a leadbelcher and an irongut. 

Limited because they are 30 dollars per model.'

I'm thinking of converting some though I really want to see a new plastic Maneater with them being based off the Mortal Realms. So you'd have like a Fyreslayer Maneater or an Idoneth Deepkin Maneater. Most importantly, there would be a Female Daughter of Khaine Maneater. Preferably, eating a Freeguild soldier. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, savka14 said:

Guys i want one big guy on my army. Cant decide between frostlord on stonehorne or thundertusk. I love both models.

Frostlord on Stonehorn is the clear competitive win I think. You could always get a 2nd one, its cheap as far as big centerpiece models come and is in the Start Collecting.

32 minutes ago, HostilSpike said:

Just to double check before my tribes hit the table, if a Butcher casts Blood Feast on a unit of Gluttons they go up to 4 attacks with Clubs/Blades and 2 attacks with their Gulping Bites each right?

Correct! It’s nice on Mournfangs too. And really anything with multiple attacks, which we have a lot of.

• Thanks 1

For maneater models I was going to convert/kit bash some as pirate ogres (a common theme I know!) using the pistols from the mournfang kit and some other bitz/greenstuff to flesh them out a bit more.

I figure with the pistol and hand weapon with some extra flashy bits and green stuff they should stand out enough from regular gluttons to be obvious as to what they are.

Ultimately I plan on making most/all my ogres into pirate ogres, but starting with some kitbashed maneaters gives me an out if I change my mind on the army as a whole being pirate themed (then it’s just a unit of pirate ogres which may look out of place but that’s kind of the maneater units vibe: ninja ogre I’m looking at you!)

Admittedly I will probably pick up the current pirate sculpt too to tie the unit together a bit more cohesively if I feel he will add to the units appearance. If he makes them look like the shoddily greenstuffed ogres I’m sure they’ll end up being then maybe I’ll exclude that specific model from the unit.

So I had a fantastic match recently against Khorne that showed the Strength and weaknesses of a lot of the new stuff we have. We played Battle for the Pass. Here were the lists:

Me (Bloodgullet)

Tyrant (Splatter-cleaver, Red-stuff, Fateseeker)

Butcher (Shrunken Priest Head, Blood Feast, Ribcracker)

Slaughtermaster (Wizardflesh Apron, Greasy Deluge, Molten Entrails)

Stonehorn Beastrider (Blood Vulture)

4 Ironguts 

4Ironguts 

12 Gluttons (Double clubs)

4 Leadbelchers

Goremand

Gutguard

He had:

Insensate Rage Bloodthirster

Insensate Rage Bloodthirster

Skarbrand

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

10 Reavers

10 Reavers

Slaughterpriest

Slaughterpriest

Khorgorath

5 Flesh Hounds

Council of Tyrants

I won initiative and let him go first. He just moved his units and scored a point. On my turn, I moved my units up and cast Entrails on the Beastrider. He charged into Skarbrand and instantly killed, then got wounded heavily by a Bloodthirster. Note: Stonehorns are not as durable as they used to be. Use with caution. From there, I had some more nice attacks but gradually started going downhill. My Tyrant died quickly (Gutguard isn't all that great) and my Slaughtermaster was derped by his general, the WoK Bloodthirster. The Leadbelchers eventually took him down (they are quite good) and my Gluttons occupied another Bloodthirster. Irongut unit one beat up his priests, disposing of both, while Irongut unit two beat up his Flesh Puppies to a pulp. However, he summoned back another Bloodthirster, my Belchers fled from battleshock, and my ironguts were wiped out. All I had left was a heavily damaged unit of Gluttons engaged with a buffed Bloodthirster, 10 Reavers, and a Khorgorath. They eventually died. After the Reavers fled from some battleshock, it was just my Butcher versus two extremely wounded Bloodthirsters, one Khorgorath, and 5 Flesh hounds (the hounds and one of the 'Thirsters had been summoned). 

I was ahead on points, but had to do some math to see if I could win. I figured out that I had to charge my Butcher into combat with one of the Thirsters, win, and survive for my oppponents last turn. The Butcher killed the Bloodthirster with Trampling Charge (which is FANTASTIC) and was then charged by a Khorgorath. The Butcher survived unscathed, and I won 21-19! First Mawtribes VICTORY!

My opinion on units:

Tyrant: Great command ability, nasty when he gets to attack, will be targeted and killed quickly if he is not properly defended, good for fighting heroes but not chaff

Butcher: Awesome, powerful in melee, good wizard

Slaughtermaster: Cauldron is very good, especially on 3-4, must place him very close to other units to be good, heals himself lots but must survive an attack (a little squishy)

Gluttons: Lots of dice and good on paper, lots of wounds, but swingy attack because no rend and will die quickly even in units of 12 if enough force is concentrated.

Leadbelcher: Surprisingly good. Nice in melee, nice shooting. Like 'em.

Ironguts: Honestly not a whole lot tougher than gluttons so be careful so that they always attack their target first before they can be attacked as every one lost is huge, massive damage when they attack

Beastrider: Honestly, I think I want some more testing first. Huge damage, especially when buffed, but not as durable and good in prolonged combat. Can't quite tell how good they are yet,

Goremand: Really good, minimizes drops extremely. APPROVED!

Gutguard: Meh. Difficult to use super well, though nice against shooting. Doesn't minimize drops very well.

Changes: I think next time I would take out the Gutguard and Beastrider and replace it with a block of 12 more Gluttons.

From what I've seen so far, mostly Gutbusters or mostly BCR will work better than all mixed list. I want to try BCR with a bunch of Butchers or Slaughtermasters or an Underguts list, who actually very powerful if you equip the right artefacts and put the right arty's in.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think due to synergy they do lend to being predominantly guts or BCR. A list I think combos both quite well though is the following 

boulderhead 

FLoSH brand metalcruncher 

FLoSH ethereal black clatterhorn

hunter general 

2 slaughtermaster molten entrails, ribcracker 

12 gluttons 

8 & 3x2 cats 

Skal

it kind of builds on what I used to think playing BCR previously when you only had 400 points for allies and wanted both butchers and a blob of 12 bulls and couldn’t take both. 

This gives 2 hard hitting monsters that can always fight at top bracket, Skal shenanigans, magic support and a big blob of gluttons for objective play and killing horde. 

2 hours ago, Eocosa said:

For maneater models I was going to convert/kit bash some as pirate ogres (a common theme I know!) using the pistols from the mournfang kit and some other bitz/greenstuff to flesh them out a bit more.

I figure with the pistol and hand weapon with some extra flashy bits and green stuff they should stand out enough from regular gluttons to be obvious as to what they are.

Ultimately I plan on making most/all my ogres into pirate ogres, but starting with some kitbashed maneaters gives me an out if I change my mind on the army as a whole being pirate themed (then it’s just a unit of pirate ogres which may look out of place but that’s kind of the maneater units vibe: ninja ogre I’m looking at you!)

Admittedly I will probably pick up the current pirate sculpt too to tie the unit together a bit more cohesively if I feel he will add to the units appearance. If he makes them look like the shoddily greenstuffed ogres I’m sure they’ll end up being then maybe I’ll exclude that specific model from the unit.

Are you allowed some non GW stuff? Titan Forge has pirate themed ogres that may also make a good mix.

• Like 1

HEROES

Icebrow Hunter (120) - General - Command Trait : Winter Ranger  
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
UNITS
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
10 x Frost Sabres (200)
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
3 x Gorgers (240)
3 x Gorgers (240)
2 x Gorgers (160)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 1980/2000

Start the game; everyone is in deepstrike. Farm command points while your opponent worries about worthless garbage like "objectives" and "victory points". Turn 2, you stay in deepstrike; remember, Slaanesh can't farm depravity if Slaanesh can't find you. Turn 3, you stay in deepstrike; your opponent can't kill any of your models if they don't even know where they are. Turn 4, you stay in deepstrike; you can't lose an objective if you never had it in the first place. Turn 5, you stay in deepstrike. Your general? In deepstrike. Your heroes? In deepstrike. 100% of your units? In deepstrike. At this point, you should have around a dozen command points, if not more; you will not spend them, because you will stay in deepstrike. You do not leave deepstrike.  MFin gorgers, baby.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Because Slaanesh is the current meta-boogeyman  and one of the worst matchups for Mawtribes I've been thinking about what list might do best vs them. Started with the idea of 3 x Tyrants and 3 x 60 gnoblars and ended up with this.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars 
Tyrant (160)
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron 
- Lore of Gutmagic: Greasy Deluge
Firebelly (120)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg 
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Tongues of Flame

Battleline
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
60 x Gnoblars (270)
60 x Gnoblars (270)
1 x Grot Scraplauncher (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Junkmob (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 216

It's not strictly the best list vs Slaanesh, but the idea is this would be something you could take to a tourney. The second artifact might be better as the Bloodrock talisman for the lifeswarm combo, or grisley trophy rack for KoS killing. 

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff! 
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack 
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols 
Firebelly (120)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver 

Battleline
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades

Units
60 x Gnoblars (270)
60 x Gnoblars (270)

Battalions
Junkmob (100)
Goremand (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 203

Possibly stronger option going from 9 to 5 drops. and you get ribcraker

Edited by Electricferret
Posted wrong list

21 minutes ago, Electricferret said:

Because Slaanesh is the current meta-boogeyman  and one of the worst matchups for Mawtribes I've been thinking about what list might do best vs them. Started with the idea of 3 x Tyrants and 3 x 60 gnoblars and ended up with this.

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
Tyrant (160)
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Firebelly (120)

Battleline
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
60 x Gnoblars (270)
60 x Gnoblars (270)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Junkmob (100)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

It's not strictly the best list vs Slaanesh, but the idea is this would be something you could take to a tourney. The second artifact might be better as the Bloodrock talisman for the lifeswarm combo, or grisley trophy rack for KoS killing. 

I think a good all round list but also good for slaanesh as can take out the heroes. 

Underguts

tyrant mass of scars, Gruesome trophyrack 

2 Slaughtermasters keg, blubbergrub stench, Fleshcrave curse 

12 glutton 

2x4 ironguts 

4 ironblasters 

20 gnoblars 

Tyrant Guard 

1980 (could go cheap endless but trying for triumph is probably better)

the cannons shoot for around 15 wounds -2  with CA activated and then if stench goes off they combine charge for 14 MW on average. This way the build can actually handle multiple keepers in a single turn. I think the ironblasters on points are a lot better but you could also do 10 leadbelchers instead of the gluttons for more shooting  

Edited by Reuben Parker

Just now, Reuben Parker said:

I think a good all round list but also good for slaanesh as can take out the heroes. 

Underguts

12 glutton 

2x4 ironguts 

4 ironblasters 

20 gnoblars 

the cannons shoot for around 15 wounds -2  with CA activated and then if stench goes off they combine charge for 14 MW on average. This way the build can actually handle multiple keepers in a single turn. 

How do you hit heroes surrounded by 60 gnoblars? Kidding of course, but yea shooting is probably better I just wanted to se what kind of gnoblar list I could write and would consider playing.

4 hours ago, Electricferret said:

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
Tyrant (160)
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Firebelly (120)

Battleline
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
60 x Gnoblars (270)
60 x Gnoblars (270)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Junkmob (100)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff! 
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack 
Tyrant (160)
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols 
Firebelly (120)
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver 

Battleline
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades

Units
60 x Gnoblars (270)
60 x Gnoblars (270)

Battalions
Junkmob (100)
Goremand (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 203

Possibly stronger option going from 9 to 5 drops. and you get ribcraker

I gave thought about this as well. 60 gnoblars to just swarm them. But having no experience against double or tribale keepers lists, will you be able to force it that way? Because with the speed difference and the fly artefact, that sounds iffy. 

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I gave thought about this as well. 60 gnoblars to just swarm them. But having no experience against double or tribale keepers lists, will you be able to force it that way? Because with the speed difference and the fly artefact, that sounds iffy. 

Definitely not. I'd wager you'd still lose +70% of the time against any player who is even half familiar with the game. Just started as a thought experiment as to what might have a slightly higher win percent.

Edited by Electricferret

4 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Underguts

12 glutton 

2x4 ironguts 

4 ironblasters 

20 gnoblars 

Tyrant Guard 

the cannons shoot for around 15 wounds -2  with CA activated and then if stench goes off they combine charge for 14 MW on average. This way the build can actually handle multiple keepers in a single turn. I think the ironblasters on points are a lot better but you could also do 10 leadbelchers instead of the gluttons for more shooting  

The 4 ironblaster, +1 to hit and double shots combo has 42% to do 14 or more wounds to a 4+ save. That’s without protective saves from artefacts. 
84E32E44-3B8A-4459-9797-94C74720F870.jpeg.2c446115c2003cfa9086f133ac2094dc.jpeg

What about 2x10 Leadbelcher, Gnoblar screens for them, therefore  a Tyrant and big boys to finish them off (chargemortals and metalcruncher).

I still think Slaneesh is an autolose, since it is designed for winning vs Mawtribes. But under the right circumstances... who knows.

13 minutes ago, Lucank said:

What about 2x10 Leadbelcher, Gnoblar screens for them, therefore  a Tyrant and big boys to finish them off (chargemortals and metalcruncher).

I still think Slaneesh is an autolose, since it is designed for winning vs Mawtribes. But under the right circumstances... who knows.

Yeah it’s a tough one. There might be something in debugging one and just taking the hits on the chin. Frost Lord on rhundertusk. Native -1 to hit. Add greasy deluge. Ethereal amulet. But the spell isn’t given, you still give up A lot of DP and then there is one or two more keepers to deal with. 

there is no ever winter gimmick for an opponent striking last right? 

3 hours ago, Lucentia said:

One of the thundertusk mount traits is a 3" always strikes last aura so long as the TT didn't charge.

No that’s too unreliable, especially as you want impact hits vs Slaanesh to with a bit of luck bracket them before combat. 

on a completely different note. Does anybody have a good/cheap 40mm base source? 

Oh, I'm not suggesting it would be reliable versus Slaanesh, just noting it as one of the few sources of activation meddling in the mawtribes book.  It is quite good against other combat armies which don't have their own way to alter the activation sequence, mind.

• Like 1