AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Okay everyone. How would you guys rate the following list? I'm trying to go for Boulderheads, obviously, but with enough line troops to cover my bases.

I'm not convinced there is much psynergy here though. I have access to a Feast of Bones Ogor set, which I am trying to use... But I have a horrible suspicion its much less optimal for a Boulderhead Tribe build.
I can use Raiders for Batteline if I make, the Frostlord my general... But only heroes get the Mount Trait - which seems to be the main lure of going Boulderhead mawtribe in the first place. I'm feeling a little stuck.

Any thoughts?

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
 - Mawtribe: Boulderhead
LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Lord of Beasts
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact : Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait : Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Metalcruncher
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait : Rockmane Elder
UNITS
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Blades
6 x Leadbelchers (240)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
WOUNDS: 136

3 hours ago, Arkahn said:

That's the list I really want to try !

- Mawtribe: Underguts

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blubbergrub Stench
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or B

lades with Iron Fists
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

Yeah that’s nice!

in terms of the boulder head list I personally think it pairs well with a Skal allowing ethereal amulet on the FL and a bunch of small cat units just to screen. 

Edited by Reuben Parker

Been tinkering with a few list ideas, wanted to build one centered around some casting, and came up with this. General concept is to keep the butcher near the mawpot, and use the balewind to extend the casting range so that he can still reach things to mess with them. Tyrant getting stuck in will generate a ton of healing combined with the mawpot, and butcher's band supplements that. Frostlord and huskard play spoiler by just being obnoxiously brutal and using the mini-comet

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Crushing Bulk
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast, Greasy Deluge
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
4 x Ironguts (220)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

9 hours ago, Turragor said:

I think you've a cache issue, I can see those traits in incognito mode/ cleared cache - not with an older tab I had open though.

Can you try with a fresh tab and let us know what else isn't there still (if anything)?

Tried it on multiple devices and browser. Incognito tabs work fine, no issues there. If I browse "normally" Ogor Mawtribes don`t even show up anymore.

Should be fine though, since incognito works.

9 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

What the role of maneaters? are they good?  I don't understand why they are still here 😉 

Insight please.

They are mostly there because I‘m still missing three in my collection. ;) 

also, haven’t played with the new book yet, they were the best linebackers gutbusters has. With the run and Charge, shooting attack and rend they are/were great to take and use in your second wave. The frontline hammers were ironguts and 12 bulls and behind the lines were the Maneaters. They allowed me to respond and still do enough damage when and where they hit. And even behind those lines they could help a bit with their shooting which was an added bonus. 

3 hours ago, WindstormSCR said:

Been tinkering with a few list ideas, wanted to build one centered around some casting, and came up with this. General concept is to keep the butcher near the mawpot, and use the balewind to extend the casting range so that he can still reach things to mess with them. Tyrant getting stuck in will generate a ton of healing combined with the mawpot, and butcher's band supplements that. Frostlord and huskard play spoiler by just being obnoxiously brutal and using the mini-comet

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Trait: Crushing Bulk
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast, Greasy Deluge
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
4 x Ironguts (220)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Battalions
Butcher's Band (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

I've been tinkering with more or less the same list.

But yours is invalid without "Nice Drop of the Red Stuff" on the Tyrant is'nt it?

Anyone else watch The Honest Wargamer review of the Ogor Mawtribes battletome? 

I was a bit underwhelmed by the battletome but feel even worse about it now. Doesn't seem like there is anything in the army that is going to allow them to be competitive in the current environment. 

I also read through the ossiarch Bonereapers battletome and it's mad to see the difference in rules. 

6 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by the battletome but feel even worse about it now. Doesn't seem like there is anything in the army that is going to allow them to be competitive in the current environment. 

I also read through the ossiarch Bonereapers battletome and it's mad to see the difference in rules. 

Also go watch the doom and darkness review. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But yes, like discussed before, it you want an op faction this isn’t it. Although I’m confident it will do good. 

Edit: How to insert a build from w-h.com builder?

Allegiance: Destruction
LEADERS
Tyrant (160)
- General
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
UNITS
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Ironblaster (240)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 150
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 1 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 1/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/400

Basically it's 2x Feast of Bones and 1 Start Collecting. What do you think of it?

Edited by Aryann

I've just played a game against an Ironjawz army. The plan was Gift from heavens and we've played 1000 points (no ME).

The lists was:

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 49

And the Ironjawz was:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Get Da Realmgate
- Artefact: Quickduff Amulet
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 990 / 2000
Wounds: 73

The Ironjawz deployed first and started the battle. As they deployed almost all before I could start, I put all my models (6 haha) in the opposite corner of the GGs, so I was face to face with the Megaboss and the 10 Ardboys.

The Megaboss declared Waaagh! and the Warchanter gave 1+ damage to the Brutes, who used MD on the 5 Ardboys to move them forward. Then, he used his artifact to teleport the Brutes face to face with the Huskard, and move the rest. He declared charge with the Brutes, but failed, so he used 1 CP (the last, which was recovered) to make them reroll the charge, and they did! 

After all the Brutes attacks (15 from 3 Brutes at 2+/3+/-1/2 and 9 from the Boss and the Gore choppa at 3+/3+/-1/3), the Huskard survived with 1 wound left (Boulderhead ftw!). As the Brutes were also 3" within the FLoSH, he piled in and destroyed the unit with a bit of help of the Huskard.

On my 1 st turn, I've moved 1 pack and the 2 characters in front of the 10 Ardboys and the Megaboss, and the other pack to the left side in order to block the rest of the Ironjawz army. I used 1 cp on the FLoSH ability and declared charge with the 2 characters and the pack, getting 8 from the pack, 6 from the FLoSH and 10 from the Huskard (rerolled). 16 MW at 4+... 4 Ardboys dead, insane. The FLoSH activated first and attacked with all (except the Punchs) to the Megaboss, and he was wiped out easily (so easily that I lost the Roch horns attacks :/). Then, becaue od the MW and the pile in of the Ardboys, the Huskard and the Pack were with no enemies within 3". The Ardboys caused 2 wounds on the FLoSH.

After that, the game was obviously won for me, but we continued playing, and the FLoSH almost erased the rest of the Ironjawz alone. After the GGs eliminated the 2 Pack, the FLoSH move and charged into the Warchanter and the 5 Ardboys, killing both units. Although the GGs charged and inflicted 5 wounds more, they were killed by the King of the Beasts.

It was a casual game, but the FLoSH showed his raw power. I'm thinking in 2000 points lists, and what I most like is the following:

Leaders
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Wounds: 93

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Let’s keep positive!

1) no two books can ever be “balanced” or equal to each other 

2) this ogre book gives everything ogres could want outside of some easy win button rules. 
Both factions together

lots of MW output 

Faster 

better morale 

builds with good magic / shooting / skirmish objectives  So not just pure melee

3) maybe play styles / builds need to be altered 

4) don’t trust online reviews it’s often cookie cutter and lacks deeper thought.

Even if ogres can’t straight overwhelm certain armies with the new objective rules and things like skal to steal backfield there’s builds that can win on points. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Leaders
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Battalions
Eurlbad (140)

Wounds: 93

I think ethereal amulet is wasted on a huskard instead of a frostlord. As awesome as a 2+ hitting stonehorn is, a 3+ hitting 3+ unreadable save stonehorn is better. 

If it were me, I'd put the Brand of the Svard onto the Huskard and the Ethereal Amulet onto the FLoSH.

At least there is no thread called „Ogor Mawtribes. Hideously overpowered?“ 😂

I don’t know the other armies too well: Are we actually the only army with three dedicated ambush units (frostsaber/hunter/gorger)? If so, that should be an interesting tool which not all are ready to counter.

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beastmaster said:

I don’t know the other armies too well: Are we actually the only army with three dedicated ambush units frostsaber/hunter/gorgers)? 

Well technically all Brayherd units can ambush in BoC allegiance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

I think ethereal amulet is wasted on a huskard instead of a frostlord. As awesome as a 2+ hitting stonehorn is, a 3+ hitting 3+ unreadable save stonehorn is better. 

If it were me, I'd put the Brand of the Svard onto the Huskard and the Ethereal Amulet onto the FLoSH.

100% agree

Used it twice and it was the correct choice both of the times.

That way you have 2 reeeally scary units.

9 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

I ran it last night almost exactly as you just described, whilst the FLoSH wasn't quite as tanky as I expected he did survive and between him and the huskard basically tabled a Slyvaneth army on their own. The command ability to read off the top row of the damage table is very nice.

7 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I don’t know the other armies too well: Are we actually the only army with three dedicated ambush units (frostsaber/hunter/gorger)? If so, that should be an interesting tool which not all are ready to counter.

Most armies have access to some kind of deepstrike. Some can do it with any units, such as idoneth, stormcast or beasts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

You are right mate. I will change that.

26 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I've received my feast of bones boxes: how do you build :

- the ogors? is there some options or all weapons count as the same?

- the leadbelchers: same question

Ogors - the weapons are all the same. Your only choice is between two weapons  and a weapon plus ironfist loadouts.

Leadbelchers - All the cannons count as the same.

18 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I've received my feast of bones boxes: how do you build :

- the ogors? is there some options or all weapons count as the same?

- the leadbelchers: same question

Leadbelchers should only have one build (no banners, etc.) but the Ogors can have either paired weapons (I think more widely preferred, for their "exploding 6s") or club/blade+iron fist (does mortals on save rolls of 6).   I will say, I have played one game with the new book, and ran a 4 man Mourngfang unit with iron fists and the extra little MW output was nice.  To that end, I actually got some pretty good quality MW generation between all of the different things we have.  I got a charge with 8 Leadbelchers that did 6 to a Banshee (rolled a 9 for charge), got Voracious Maw going once, a few here and there from other charges, and some 6s from iron fists.  Not honestly that bad.

26 minutes ago, FPC said:

Leadbelchers should only have one build (no banners, etc.) but the Ogors can have either paired weapons (I think more widely preferred, for their "exploding 6s") or club/blade+iron fist (does mortals on save rolls of 6).   I will say, I have played one game with the new book, and ran a 4 man Mourngfang unit with iron fists and the extra little MW output was nice.  To that end, I actually got some pretty good quality MW generation between all of the different things we have.  I got a charge with 8 Leadbelchers that did 6 to a Banshee (rolled a 9 for charge), got Voracious Maw going once, a few here and there from other charges, and some 6s from iron fists.  Not honestly that bad.

Thx but that makes me even more wonder lol. Breainstorming now. Headache. I have 18 to build. Dunno if I go ironfist or dual weapons.🤪