AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Take a look:

Boulderhead Mawtribe (+1 hp for mammoths, +1" bubble move for general...)

Frostlord on Stonehorn, general, brand of the sward artefact (+1 to hit for mount), mount trait: d6 mortals to an enemy with a 4 or better save

Huskard on Stonehorn, mount trait: +1 to hit rolls with horns

Butcher, additional spell: -1 to save or +1 attack

Stonehorn Beastriders

Mournfangs x4

Mournfangs x4

Gnoblars x20

Frost Sabres x2

2000pts

Eurlbad (6 to hit = 1 mortal wound)

119 wounds, most 4+ save, 5 drops

Ok so i'm not sure for the second artefact, +1 spell for butcher or auto dispell for huskard. 3 mammoths to maximise the charge capacity. If all the guys from the formation are in contact we have around 12 mortals per fight without charge or everwinter trait. Huskard can boost the mourfangs to deal 4 attacks 4+/3+/-1/dmg3 per mount in charge, stackable with butcher sorcery. Gnoblars and frost sabres help to control or deny teleportation. Great mobility and resilience, lots of mortal with eurlbad, charge, voltur, everwinter and sorcery, few drops, not so bad in counter magic in the firsts turns...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Capable doesn’t equal amazing right? 
the answer is already there in his comment ;) 

I’m more just making the point that, if his experience was a Butcher “seeing off” a unit of Ardboys, that’s far from typical. I’d be shocked if a single unbuffed Butcher killed even 5 Ardboys, as both Butcher weapons average under 3 damage against them. It would take 4-5 rounds on average for the Butcher to kill 5 Ardboys. That may in fact be better than some other wizards but I’d hardly call it capable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Is a full mounted army viable?

Several Ironblasters behind some mournfangs units and few big dady stonehorns/thundertusks

Of course! That's pretty close to the spirit of BCR! A mountain of beastflesh and ogor avalanching towards your opponent.

This style of army used to really struggle with objective holding. However the new rule where monsters and ogors count as more bodies for objective capturing was aimed specifically at combating this weakness. Its hard to say how effective this rule change will be until more people try it out.

Edited by PensivePanther

On 10/27/2019 at 4:19 AM, gedrekt said:

I just ordered some KO Endrinrigger balloons an rudders to kitbash with my Ironguts.  I've been wanting to do a pirate themed Ogor army, but I wasn't sure how to make the Ironguts fit thematically. Now I'm thinking give them old-timey brass diving helmets and the KO floaty bubbles and make them underwater monster hunters.

I'll have to snag an Endrinmaster to ride Master Blaster style on the back of an Ogor to use as a second Tyrant. He'll be the one who makes and maintains all the tech for my Gutbusters.

I was all happy that I got a huge lot of Ogors for cheap, but now that I want to stick KO bits on everything this could turn out to be a pretty expensive army.

I read that and though I had to share this dude I made a while ago for some proxyed allies for my kharadron that finally will probably join my Ogor mercenary themed army :

zEIFomb.jpg

Edited by Djoblo
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 4

6 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Do you guys think a tyrant is even necessary? I mean I don't think he's bad, but given ogres will have bravery 8 or higher in combat and are 4 wound models I'm not sure how usefuk his command ability is. I wonder if you're better off banking the cp and saving it for inspiring presence. Otherwise the tyrant doesn't offer much utility. 

For utility no, I don't think he's that good though maybe for gnoblars. I suspect gnoblar screens will become a thing in a lot of MawTribes lists. He does look like a pretty good beatstick for 160 points though, especially since you can build him to be really fast, tanky, or killy depending on the Big Name, Command Trait, and Artifact.

Do you guys think a tyrant is even necessary? I mean I don't think he's bad, but given ogres will have bravery 8 or higher in combat and are 4 wound models I'm not sure how usefuk his command ability is. I wonder if you're better off banking the cp and saving it for inspiring presence. Otherwise the tyrant doesn't offer much utility. 

I like with the tyrant the way to buff cannons.  If you're going to run Ironblasters, having the tyrant only artifact for the +1 to hit vs monsters/heros in 12, and the shoot twice ability in 12 makes him a decent 'cannon bodyguard'.

• Like 2

Do you guys think a tyrant is even necessary? I mean I don't think he's bad, but given ogres will have bravery 8 or higher in combat and are 4 wound models I'm not sure how usefuk his command ability is. I wonder if you're better off banking the cp and saving it for inspiring presence. Otherwise the tyrant doesn't offer much utility

Things have changed of course but he used to be invaluable before the book and the trick has only become more effective with his command ability not requiring him to stay alive. 

at least invaluable when you play the objective game. Both gnoblars and 12 ogor blocks that won’t battleshock give you so much board control. 

i never wanted to commit to 60 gnoblars before the book dropped but even little strings of 20 gnoblars make really useful screens.

dont know how it will play out with the new movement difference though. But even then. 12 ogors bullied into battleshock immunity will be mainstay I’m willing to bet

all that said as a beat stick the frost Lord looks amazing to me. But that’s my feeling based on the warscrolls and rules as we know them so far. 

2 hours ago, GlanceOnASix said:

I like with the tyrant the way to buff cannons.  If you're going to run Ironblasters, having the tyrant only artifact for the +1 to hit vs monsters/heros in 12, and the shoot twice ability in 12 makes him a decent 'cannon bodyguard'.

Finally the justification I needed to own 4 Ironblasters 😁

I think with longstrider big name a tyrant+Ironblasters could be an amazing monster hunting clique. Tyrants fast enough to keep up and 2+ hitting  hailshotte sounds like it could be as good as cannonball. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mincemeat said:

Finally the justification I needed to own 4 Ironblasters 😁

I think with longstrider big name a tyrant+Ironblasters could be an amazing monster hunting clique. Tyrants fast enough to keep up and 2+ hitting  hailshotte sounds like it could be as good as cannonball. 

Yeah I'm thinking about something like:

UnderGuts:
Tyrant 
-Longstrider (Movement 8 )
-Artifact -Trophey Wrack (Units wholly in 12 inches targeting Hero/Monster +1 Hit)

4 Ironguts 
Cannon 
Cannon 
Tyrant Gut Guard Battalion 

Butcher 
-Blubbergrub Stench, Cast on a 5+, Rhinoxes are monsters for charges while in 18 of caster.
-General
-Massive Scars

Butcher 
-RibCracker cast on a 7+, Pick an enemy unit in 18 and visible, subtract 1 from save rolls
-Artifact - Gnoblar Blast Keg

10 Leadbelchers 
4 Leadbelchers 
60 Gnoblars 
Cannon 

Edited by GlanceOnASix
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Since Troggoths can be allies I wonder if the Troggoth hag has a place in this army? She's expensive but her spell is nice.

I think a Frostlord on Stonehorn would be better---he has better offensive and defensive capabilities, and can synergize with the Mawtribe spells and abilities.

1 hour ago, Zorki said:

Witch artefact and command trait you take for the Flostlord on stonehorn ?

photo5312039101454723932.jpg.353cabf1df1252afde4ad0d0d64658d2.jpg

Well, to suit the ghostly background of my Frostlord and his Shyish origin, it will be the Eatheral Amulette, providing him an unrendable Ghostsave. Which, concidering the 3+ and the 5+ aftersave, is quite a bit of cheese, also concidering all that heal abilities that are incoming :D

My only concern lies in the drawback of having Gluttons beeing slower than Mournfangs, which will definitely tempt to split the army (which ends up in bis loses in most cases from my experience). I also really need to find something as a counterpart to a Butcher on a Ghost-Level. Tought about some sort of Soul-Siphoner and an Ogor using an magical soulstone instead of a mawpot as Slaughtermaster.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

16 minutes ago, Charleston said:

photo5312039101454723932.jpg.353cabf1df1252afde4ad0d0d64658d2.jpg

Well, to suit the ghostly background of my Frostlord and his Shyish origin, it will be the Eatheral Amulette, providing him an unrendable Ghostsave. Which, concidering the 3+ and the 5+ aftersave, is quite a bit of cheese, also concidering all that heal abilities that are incoming :D

My only concern lies in the drawback of having Gluttons beeing slower than Mournfangs, which will definitely tempt to split the army (which ends up in bis loses in most cases from my experience). I also really need to find something as a counterpart to a Butcher on a Ghost-Level. Tought about some sort of Soul-Siphoner and an Ogor using an magical soulstone instead of a mawpot as Slaughtermaster.

Could do a slaughtermaster dragging around a casket full of souls. Or have a regular butcher be done kind of grave digger. Love your stuff btw

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Just bought a start collecting beastclaw raiders box. How should I build it? I also have:

2 Tyrants

1 Butcher

24 Gluttons with 2 weapons

24 Gluttons with ironfists

8 Ironguts

10 Leadbelchers

20 Gnoblars

2 Ironblasters

Safest thing would be to magnetize both the head of the big guy and the rider weapon options so you can use 4 out of 6 options (and a spare rider you can easily convert in a icebrow Hunter if you feel inspired). With the mournfang pack it's pretty close, both options are really good but given the recent buff to clubs i'd go for them , more consistent damage and the ironfist is a nice bonus (also it looks so good).

13 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Just bought a start collecting beastclaw raiders box. How should I build it? I also have: [...]

I also just made the move to the Mawtribes and ordered 2 Feast of Bones sets and a Beastclaw Raiders SC box. Somehow I don't like the Ironblaster so I'm looking for help in building a 1000 pt list with the rest of the units from these boxes