AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

9 hours ago, gedrekt said:

I just ordered some KO Endrinrigger balloons an rudders to kitbash with my Ironguts.  I've been wanting to do a pirate themed Ogor army, but I wasn't sure how to make the Ironguts fit thematically. Now I'm thinking give them old-timey brass diving helmets and the KO floaty bubbles and make them underwater monster hunters.

I'll have to snag an Endrinmaster to ride Master Blaster style on the back of an Ogor to use as a second Tyrant. He'll be the one who makes and maintains all the tech for my Gutbusters.

I was all happy that I got a huge lot of Ogors for cheap, but now that I want to stick KO bits on everything this could turn out to be a pretty expensive army.

That’s dope! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

Only base size I can see that changed in the photos of the GW studio Mawtribes models is the Butcher from 40mm to 50mm:

butcher-rebased.png

Not sure if that'll carry over to the base size document or not though!

There are some inconsistencies with Gloomspite and the base size document. Unless they updated it loonboss with cave squig is still on 25mm when clearly he shouldn't be. The base size document was sorely needed when it came out but I don't think GW keeps it up to date (and frankly they don't need to other than these rare cases with old models). 

I'll be rebasing my butcher to a 50mm. Seems like the intent.

Yetis and Frost sabres still seem excellent. Yetis hit less hard than ogors by a good bit, but can pull fairly good schenanagins with their 6 in pile in. 

I was considering a skaal, Hunter with at least 1 big unit of frost sabres and a unit of yetis for a nice and sneaky alpha strike with a big unit of yetis to follow up. Then when they retaliate I can pop always strike first to double down on it. 

Are their any ways to buff to hit rolls easily? So much of this plan hits on 4s Which can be quite swingy. I know there is the generic command ability. The pot is pretty random so hardly reliable.

Honest question....outside of battalions that require them, does anyone actually see a reason go take a Butcher as opposed to a Slaughtermaster?  I don’t think either of their spells are better than lore spells, and the Butcher lacking cauldron abilities for the same cost just seems silly. Am I missing something?

I thought maybe in Bloodgullet for the bonuses but I believe that’s keyword BUTCHER so it applies to both.

Thinking about getting big ovals that are Slaughtermaster size and boring out a Butcher sized hole, adding a cauldron, and calling it a day. That way if I do want to run a Butcher I still can.

Edited by FPC

5 minutes ago, FPC said:

Honest question....outside of battalions that require them, does anyone actually see a reason go take a Butcher as opposed to a Slaughtermaster?  I don’t think either of their spells are better than lore spells, and the Butcher lacking cauldron abilities for the same cost just seems silly. Am I missing something?

I thought maybe in Bloodgullet for the bonuses but I believe that’s keyword BUTCHER so it applies to both.

Thinking about getting big ovals that are Slaughtermaster size and boring out a Butcher sized hole, adding a cauldron, and calling it a day. That way if I do want to run a Butcher I still can.

The only reason to take the regular Butcher is if you really like the Voracious Maw spell or the battalion. To be frank I think both of these guys are 20 points too expensive for what they're doing; but we also kind of need them.

56 minutes ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

Do yall think the lead Belchers are worth taking due to the relatively cheap source of -1 rend? I'm thinking I'd be less worried about suicide charging some leadies rather than my precious iron guts.

I will be definitely be trying it out. 
same for the Maneaters. With their -1 shots, -1 rend attacks. And run and charge they already were great backfield defenders but now with the +2 move they might also work as suicide can openers. Really  interested If there is a place for them. 

7 minutes ago, FPC said:

I've seen a lot of back and forth on Slaughter vs Butcher.

I'm mainly a BCR player, though, and I'm considering running a Goremand for the double cauldron and to gain an artefact.  I don't see any reason to not pick one up (all the models in it are great), and some of the artifacts for butchers are great (I assume Slaughtermasters can take those?).

5 minutes ago, Mutton said:

The only reason to take the regular Butcher is if you really like the Voracious Maw spell or the battalion. To be frank I think both of these guys are 20 points too expensive for what they're doing; but we also kind of need them.

I’d rather chance the 7 casting value on the better lore spells for sure. I guess battalions are important considerations.

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

Yetis and Frost sabres still seem excellent. Yetis hit less hard than ogors by a good bit, but can pull fairly good schenanagins with their 6 in pile in. 

I was considering a skaal, Hunter with at least 1 big unit of frost sabres and a unit of yetis for a nice and sneaky alpha strike with a big unit of yetis to follow up. Then when they retaliate I can pop always strike first to double down on it. 

Are their any ways to buff to hit rolls easily? So much of this plan hits on 4s Which can be quite swingy. I know there is the generic command ability. The pot is pretty random so hardly reliable.

I’ve been thinking of trying mix Skal with Torbad, using that as a way to get it to 2 drops, but Torbad is just so expensive! 3 beastriders minimum!? It’s a neat battalion, certainly, but so expensive. Which is a shame. Technically can just barely fit it together, but you’d have a wasted artifact [can only seem to get 2 heroes in that], and not nearly as many yetis or kitties as I’d like. 

So I played Ogre Kingdoms back in the day and happily converted my Ogres to Ogors when AoS first came out. Once it became apperant no book was coming for them I dropped the game.

Now with the great maws blessing it seems we have a book (yay!) but as I've never played AoS 2.0 my question is what's good for them now? Also, as stated since I'm unfamiliar with 2.0 are battalions necessary now? Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, AmonRa said:

So I played Ogre Kingdoms back in the day and happily converted my Ogres to Ogors when AoS first came out. Once it became apperant no book was coming for them I dropped the game.

Now with the great maws blessing it seems we have a book (yay!) but as I've never played AoS 2.0 my question is what's good for them now? Also, as stated since I'm unfamiliar with 2.0 are battalions necessary now? Thanks in advance.

Welcome back. I don’t have the answers either. Nobody has as nobody playtested much yet. But lots of advice theory based floating around. 

before the tome there were a couple of things I played that I really liked. Some inspired by Doom and Darkness over on YouTube which will certainly feature Ogor updates soon. 

for me 12 ogor unit(s) are a must and amazing. Very hard to shift take up a lot of space and now should be able to compete objectives more due to might is right. 
it combined very well with the Tyrants command ability to make them immune to battleshock. 
speaking of which, that ability works on gnoblars. So those cheap bodies become a lot more steady. 

all the rest is speculation and educated guessing imo. Useful of course, but playing some games is your best bet 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AmonRa said:

? Also, as stated since I'm unfamiliar with 2.0 are battalions necessary now? Thanks in advance.

In general Battalions vary from army to army; however the 2.0 Battletomes have generally had pretty solid battalions. They tend to have one "super expensive" one along with a selection which can range from flavoursome to really powerful and all inbetween. 

So until the tome is out and people really pour over it we can't say. There are preview videos up on youtube right now which go through most of the two new tomes. So search up the Ogor battletome on youtube and have a listen. It will also give you an idea of the rest of the army.

All told the 2.0 Battletomes have been pretty solid. Most are powerful and do well, a couple area bit weaker than ideal and there's a few that area bit more powerful. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FPC said:

I don't really know. But I would guess the normal Butcher might be better in melee combat than the Slaughtermaster?

The Slaughtermaster has a 2D6 attack with 3+ hit and 3+ wound and no rend and a gnoblar attack with 3 attacks, 5+ hit and 5+ wound with no rend. Both attacks are dealing 1 damage.

For the Butcher you can choose:

1. 3 attacks, 3+ hit and 3+ wound with -2 rend and 2 damage

2. 3 attacks, 3+ hit and 3+ wound with -1 rend and 3 damage

I would assume that the normal butcher is propably better against models with a high save (If they don't have the ability to ignore rend). I mean for a magician he isn't that bad in melee combat.

Edited by Infeston

Butchers are actually really capable in combat for wizards. Just had a game where mine managed to see off a unit of ardboyz which my opponent found rather surprising. Honestly I think your fine going either butcher or slaughter master. I’ll probably be taking one of each.

5 minutes ago, Nubl0 said:

Butchers are actually really capable in combat for wizards. Just had a game where mine managed to see off a unit of ardboyz which my opponent found rather surprising. Honestly I think your fine going either butcher or slaughter master. I’ll probably be taking one of each.

Really? With just the 3 attacks, no buffs? Numbers don’t back up him being a good fighter. Maybe better than some other wizards but not amazing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FPC said:

Really? With just the 3 attacks, no buffs? Numbers don’t back up him being a good fighter. Maybe better than some other wizards but not amazing.

Capable doesn’t equal amazing right? 
the answer is already there in his comment ;) 

Do you guys think a tyrant is even necessary? I mean I don't think he's bad, but given ogres will have bravery 8 or higher in combat and are 4 wound models I'm not sure how usefuk his command ability is. I wonder if you're better off banking the cp and saving it for inspiring presence. Otherwise the tyrant doesn't offer much utility. 

I was thinking a frostlord might be better, you get a prayer, a mount trait, a better charge and the beastclaw mortal wound trait. Plus speed and more damage. 

Something like... 

Bloodgullet 

Frostlord on stonehorn general

Butcher

Slaughtermaster 

Gluttons and ironguts

Maybe a battalion so you can give the frostlord ethereal? 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Do you guys think a tyrant is even necessary? I mean I don't think he's bad, but given ogres will have bravery 8 or higher in combat and are 4 wound models I'm not sure how usefuk his command ability is. I wonder if you're better off banking the cp and saving it for inspiring presence. Otherwise the tyrant doesn't offer much utility. 

I was thinking a frostlord might be better, you get a prayer, a mount trait, a better charge and the beastclaw mortal wound trait. Plus speed and more damage. 

Something like... 

Bloodgullet 

Butcher

Slaughtermaster 

Gluttons and ironguts

Thoughts? 

Thats exactly the list I will try in a few days. I have a minimum of leadbelchers and a battalion along with what you listed.

But no prayers for the FloSh afaik

26 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Something like... 

Bloodgullet 

Butcher

Slaughtermaster 

Gluttons and ironguts

Thoughts? 

I sort of agree with you. The FLoSH doesnt get prayers though. Not a huge bummer but it's just on the huskard on ttusk.

I've been wondering about Stonehorns in general. With the +1 to hit on horns trait, you're 6/3/3/-2/3. With the boulderhead artefact your horns hit on 2s(!).

I was thinking of running 2 FLoSH. One with the horns trait, and the other with the boulderhead artefact and the Metalcruncher trait. I think doing auto d6 mortals at the start of the combat phase is really good.

@Walrustaco don't forget, that in one BCR Tribe all Monster can get a Mounttrait. So both FLoSH can have +1 to hit on Horns. On top of that our Stonehorns do +1 Damage when they charged.

6 Attacks on 2/3/-2/4 average 12 1/3 damage. Average just by the Horns. Imagine Eurlbad still gives +1 Damage on all Attacks. 16 2/3 Damage only with Horns!

Just now, Bademeister said:

@Walrustaco don't forget, that in one BCR Tribe all Monster can get a Mounttrait. So both FLoSH can have +1 to hit on Horns. On top of that our Stonehorns do +1 Damage when they charged.

6 Attacks on 2/3/-2/4 average 12 1/3 damage. Average just by the Horns. Imagine Eurlbad still gives +1 Damage on all Attacks. 16 2/3 Damage only with Horns!

Yeah, it's just that it says you cant duplicate mount traits I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1