AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

24 minutes ago, Mutton said:

No, because the battalion requires a Butcher, not a keyword butcher, when looking at the requirements. It's referring to the name of the units required, and not the keywords required. So you have to take a regular Butcher for Butcher's Band.

Thanks, That's a shame. 

55 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Does anybody think any of the Gutbuster battalions are worth taking? I think I’d just rather have more gluttons or Ironguts 

More ogres is never a bad choice. None of the gutbuster battalions are amazing, but I think they are definitely worth considering (although I don't expect that anybody will have 3 scraplauncher's ready to go!). The other three battalions all have very good core unit composition. You probably want a starting CP for turn 1 battleshock anyway. Extra artefacts are really good value if you plan to take a frostlord/huskard or two in a mainly gutbusters list and/or if you want to take one of the tribes with their mandatory 1st artefact. The tyrant guard ability definitely has potential (its a shame you cant pass the wounds to gnoblars or gluttons but oh well). The ability to split up wounds across multiple units is especially helpful when there is quite a lot of 1 or d3 wound heals. The goremand ability is ok, I think probably better if used to double heal a stonehorn or two rather than in a pure gutbusters list. The butchers band ability isn't great, but the battalion potentially has all the gutbusters units you want (except another hero or two) making it a reasonable option if you want to be very low drop.

Okay, thoughts on this list?

-

Bloodgullet Mawtribe

Leaders

160 Tyrant, Nice Drop of the Red Stuff, Splatter Cleaver

140 Slaughtermaster, Blood Feast, Greasy Deluge

140 Butcher, Blood Feast, Ribcracker, Shrunken Priest Head

Battleline

400 Ogor Gluttons, paired weapons, bellower, beast skull banner

440 Ironguts, Bellower, Great Maw Bearer

160 Leadbelchers

Battalion

140 Goremand

0 Great Mawpot

166 wounds, 1 cp

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Like 1

Need some mobility i think no ? Like 4 Mournfang ?

I really like this list ! Can we change the tyran by a frostlord on stornhorn ? Delete the leadbelcher maybe i don't know.. I think you juste need some potential pack to crush an objectif on 1-2 turn. 

30 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

-

Bloodgullet Mawtribe

Leaders

Battleline

160 Leadbelchers

Battalion

140 Goremand

0 Great Mawpot

166 wounds, 1 cp

Wow, that’s almost identical to the list I was planning. 

Only difference is my 2nd unit of gluttons is only 3 man, and I spent the last 280pts on a unit of 4 Mournfang. Mostly due to actual model limitations (starting Ogors fresh).

Nice low drop count with the battalion, a little worried about board control with so few units, but Splitting units isn’t worth it. Going to take me a few weeks to get any games in but interested to hear how you go!

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

-

Bloodgullet Mawtribe

Leaders

Battleline

160 Leadbelchers

Battalion

140 Goremand

0 Great Mawpot

166 wounds, 1 cp

I feel like these styles of lists are similar to Ironjawz but without the speed that large groups of infantry need to make it anywhere. How do you cover ground with this?

3 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I feel like these styles of lists are similar to Ironjawz but without the speed that large groups of infantry need to make it anywhere. How do you cover ground with this?

I feel like having 8" move is pretty damn good. It's not going to be as fast as mighty destroyers'd gore gruntas or mawkrushas, but not much is?

Dont know what you want from me lol. Compared to Ironjawz, we dont need warchanters to get damage 2, if our characters die, battleshock immunity still continues, and our units can still kick the ****** out of almost anything.

47 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

I feel like having 8" move is pretty damn good. It's not going to be as fast as mighty destroyers'd gore gruntas or mawkrushas, but not much is?

Dont know what you want from me lol. Compared to Ironjawz, we dont need warchanters to get damage 2, if our characters die, battleshock immunity still continues, and our units can still kick the ****** out of almost anything.

I havent seen all the allegiance or sub-faction stuff. How are they getting 8" move?

5 hours ago, Lucank said:

Trying the following list in a couple of days (really can`t find a list where you can effectively mix GB and BCR):

Bloodgullet Mawtribe

Tyrant                               General, Bloodgullet Atrifact, +2 W trait, 3+ save name                                    
Butcher                            Spell +1 Attack, -1 to hit
Slaughtermaster        Spell -1 Attack

Ogor Gluttons 12x    
Ogor Gluttons   6x    
Leadbelchers     2x     
Ironguts                4x    
Ironguts                4x    
Gnoblar              20x    
Gnoblar              20x    

Goremand         
Extra CP 

1990 total

3 cp to start with for BS immunity

Wont you have to take the blood gullet warlord trait instead of the +2w one?

Blood gullet warlord trait gives longer pile in moves to unit near you.

24 minutes ago, Fabint said:

All Ogors, yeah. Mournfang and Stonehorns can get insanely fast with the new rules.

This special rule „ravenous brutes“ was in the preview for the sub faction and mentioned in combination with the „mest fist mawtribe“.

Are you sure it is an armywide allegiance ability for all ogors?

btw : what about base sizes? The old models are still sold with square bases

Edited by Ragnar72

10 minutes ago, Ragnar72 said:

This special rule „ravenous brutes“ was in the preview for the sub faction and mentioned in combination with the „mest fist mawtribe“.

05F3EE4E-F206-4CB1-9A04-85285CA5CD54.png.f5ec2d379ced33fc22bc4c9a680ab144.png

look, it’s there in the middle of the allegiance abilities list.

the models on squares get packaged with rounds too. My Ironguts did.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ragnar72 said:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_base_sizes_en.pdf

if you have older models like me and need to rebase this is the resource 

• Thanks 1

Played a couple games yesterday using the battletome rules with a Gutbuster force. This was a pretty casual game and I definitely didn't optimize my list, but here are some preliminary thoughts. The good news: Undoubtedly the Ogors are better than they were (wasn't a high bar). Their damage has massively improved, the 8" movement (possibly the best thing in the book) ensures you can get almost anywhere you need to be, and not having to worry much about bravery was a breath of fresh filet.

The bad news: Your big guys are going to get mowed down as soon as anything decent rolls into them. Four wounds with a 5+ save isn't enough to keep them around for long, and even Ironguts fall hard to just about anything if they get attacked back. We also have no protection against mortals...which we all know are abundant in the game. Screens are just as important as ever and you absolutely can't let your damage dealers (Gluts with paired weapons and Ironguts) get charged, otherwise it's over.

Scattered notes:
- The Tyrant performed much better than I anticipated. For several combats he was doing upwards of 10 wounds to units, but I was rolling lucky on the 6's to hit. Without the 6's, he'd do maybe 3 wounds and that's all. Swingy to say the least, but he didn't disappoint me this time.

- Gluts with paired weapons will clobber baddies into dust. Weight of attacks with exploding 6's is so vital to getting through enemy armor saves. I wonder if the best lists simply include many 12-ogor units of these guys.

- Butchers didn't do much. The terrain piece isn't out yet, so no +1 cast, but even if it had been there, I still would have failed most of those 7's needed for our spells. Probably need to go with the Bloodgullet Tribe if you want anything out of your casters. Our guys are really expensive for Lv. 1 wizards. The Slaughtermaster was entirely useless, and the fact you still have to roll on this dumb random table, where only a third of the time you'll get something helpful, is almost insulting. It's constantly disappointing getting 5's or 6's when no enemies are around (because you don't want enemies around him, he sucks in combat). I hated this guy before and I still hate him.

- Ironguts were beasts before the tome and they're monsters after. They can chop up most anything...as long as it doesn't have a good save. Which is the theme for this army. We have no rend. It's a lot of hoping and praying to the Maw that your opponent rolls poorly on those saves, and we don't really have a way to augment that (we have one spell, but as mentioned, our casters aren't fantastic, so it's unreliable at best). I have no idea how this army will be able to handle things with 3+ or 2+ saves, potentially rerolling, potentially ignoring -1 rend. We don't have a source of consistent mortals (again, Trampling Charges are swingy, dependent on unit size and charge roll). Big heroes/monsters with ethereal amulet, or even just anything with a good save is going to be our bane---don't know if we have an answer to it without simply hoping it all turns out well.

- I wouldn't discount Ironfists on Gluttons now that they're unmodified. Had a small unit get charged and ended up dealing something like 6 or 7 mortals back.

- The Sky Pistols artifact was awesome. It's probably not good---but it was fun. I could semi-reliably headshot dudes already in combat to ease up the burden on your other units, or blast through the enemy's screen to get sneaky charges.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Played a couple games yesterday using the battletome rules with a Gutbuster force. This was a pretty casual game and I definitely didn't optimize my list, but here are some preliminary thoughts. The good news: Undoubtedly the Ogors are better than they were (wasn't a high bar). Their damage has massively improved, the 8" movement (possibly the best thing in the book) ensures you can get almost anywhere you need to be, and not having to worry much about bravery was a breath of fresh filet.

The bad news: Your big guys are going to get mowed down as soon as anything decent rolls into them. Four wounds with a 5+ save isn't enough to keep them around for long, and even Ironguts fall hard to just about anything if they get attacked back. We also have no protection against mortals...which we all know are abundant in the game. Screens are just as important as ever and you absolutely can't let your damage dealers (Gluts with paired weapons and Ironguts) get charged, otherwise it's over.

Scattered notes:
- The Tyrant performed much better than I anticipated. For several combats he was doing upwards of 10 wounds to units, but I was rolling lucky on the 6's to hit. Without the 6's, he'd do maybe 3 wounds and that's all. Swingy to say the least, but he didn't disappoint me this time.

- Gluts with paired weapons will clobber baddies into dust. Weight of attacks with exploding 6's is so vital to getting through enemy armor saves. I wonder if the best lists simply include many 12-ogor units of these guys.

- Butchers didn't do much. The terrain piece isn't out yet, so no +1 cast, but even if it had been there, I still would have failed most of those 7's needed for our spells. Probably need to go with the Bloodgullet Tribe if you want anything out of your casters. Our guys are really expensive for Lv. 1 wizards. The Slaughtermaster was entirely useless, and the fact you still have to roll on this dumb random table, where only a third of the time you'll get something helpful, is almost insulting. It's constantly disappointing getting 5's or 6's when no enemies are around (because you don't want enemies around him, he sucks in combat). I hated this guy before and I still hate him.

- Ironguts were beasts before the tome and they're monsters after. They can chop up most anything...as long as it doesn't have a good save. Which is the theme for this army. We have no rend. It's a lot of hoping and praying to the Maw that your opponent rolls poorly on those saves, and we don't really have a way to augment that (we have one spell, but as mentioned, our casters aren't fantastic, so it's unreliable at best). I have no idea how this army will be able to handle things with 3+ or 2+ saves, potentially rerolling, potentially ignoring -1 rend. We don't have a source of consistent mortals (again, Trampling Charges are swingy, dependent on unit size and charge roll). Big heroes/monsters with ethereal amulet, or even just anything with a good save is going to be our bane---don't know if we have an answer to it without simply hoping it all turns out well.

- I wouldn't discount Ironfists on Gluttons now that they're unmodified. Had a small unit get charged and ended up dealing something like 6 or 7 mortals back.

- The Sky Pistols artifact was awesome. It's probably not good---but it was fun. I could semi-reliably headshot dudes already in combat to ease up the burden on your other units, or blast through the enemy's screen to get sneaky charges.

I think even in a mainly gut force a Skal maybe useful, a cheap battalion that adds backfield pressure (take 1 large unit of cats with the hunter in ambush) then several small 2 cat units for screens / zoning / objectives. Although I could be biased as I try to put Skal into everything!

13 minutes ago, Black_Nexus said:

I was trying out yesterday slapping a Frostlord on Thundertusk in the middle of a unit of ironguts and moving them up the field together.

He had the range to attack over them, and he also had the 3" giving out always strike last if you didn't charge. It worked out pretty well

I really like the sound of this, could you tell me more? How many Ironguts did you take with this? 4/8/12? Was it a single unit?

Also I'm interested to hear what the rest of your list was.