AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 7/19/2021 at 12:06 PM, HostilSpike said:

I don't see a place for the Tyrant anymore. His old appeal was Command Point efficiency Vs Inspiring presence but with there being so many more command points now it seems less relevant.

I can't imagine a list without a Frostlord in it, they're just our best units by a large margin. The FLoTT gained a huge amount of survivability if you take the 5+ Ward Artefact and the worsen rend by 1 Mount Trait.

tyrant is great for smaller 1k games. I've been using mine like a mini-FL, with fateseeker/amulet of destiny/crushing bulk

he's not the greatest, but he is fun!

On 7/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

How about this?  Throwing out 10 spells per turn.  Few armies can unbind that many!  I'm only 2 Slaughtermasters shy of this one....

Capture.JPG

This is MADNESS and I love it. 

Gut magic ftw!

• Like 1

Concidering to compete in a team tournament with the following list:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: None
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Command Trait: Master of the Mournfangs
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Battleline

Units
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Stonehorn Beastriders (320)
- Weapon: Blood Vulture

Total: 980 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 48

It is my first tournament so expectations are low anyway. I still try to figure out if Husskard on SH is a good idea or if I shall cut down 2 Mournfangs to get a Frostfang instead. The frostspear, additional wound and 3+ save look damn crisp to me, especially as many battletactics favor a strong and killy monster hero. 

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realize a HoSH was so cheap compared to the FLoSH!  But with a big unit of Mournfangs I think he'll do very well if you can get the charge off on them.  That's 36 potential damage just from the their tusks.  Levitate is pretty awesome and probably more useful, but I might consider Flaming Weapons on them for extra ridiculous amounts of damage.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:16 AM, Charlo said:

This is MADNESS and I love it. 

Gut magic ftw!

Thank you!  I've gotta find some more bits to cobble together 2 more Slaughtermasters.  I like them over Butchers generally for their random cauldron pluckings.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, Schauer said:

First pass on the list I plan to use for a FLGS RTT in a few months as well as a GT the month after.

Tribe: Thunderbellies

Leaders:

Huskard on Thundertusk (GENERAL) - Storm Chaser - Shatterstone - Rimefrost Hide

Huskard on Stonehorn - Metalcruncher*

Butcher - Blood Feast

Slaughtermaster - Ribcracker

Units
4x Mournfang w Gargant Hackers

4x Mournfang w Gargant Hackers

4x Mournfang w Clubs

1 Gorger

* - Havent had a chance to read the rules too much on enhancements but since I would be taking the Battle Regiment I know I would get an extra enhancement but not sure if that enhancement gets taken with Slaughtermaster getting a spell. If I am in the clear to bring that second mount trait I would take metalcruncher but if not it would be what goes away. 

Basically the idea of the list is to play the edge and clear the distance T1 with the mournfangs ability to R+C. From there on there are a plethora of buffs that can be handed out to the gargant hacker mournfang to make them very dangerous from Linebreakers to Rip+Tear, to all out attack, Bloodfeast, Spineamarrow, and Ribcracker. Club Mournfang's job is to play the consistent damage dealer role but I could also opt for 2 sets of 2 and let them be objective holders. Gorger is only in the list because im left at 1910 points beforehand and there isnt much else I can throw in. If anything he might be able to get a few points of damage in on a backline hero and with the frontline units being held up by the mournfang they should at least have some allies around. All in all its a very aggressive game plan and allows you to score some easy secondary objectives early on in the game with having units in enemy territory since its pretty much guaranteed with the mournfangs ability to run+charge with a 9+2 inch movement. 

Anyone have ideas on some tweaks to the list? My first chance to playtest this will be Saturday so Ill be able to know for sure if it plays as good as I think it will.

So I made a switch up on this list + got to try it out finally.

New List: 

FLoSH
-Metal Cruncher

HoTT
-Shatterstone
-Rimefrost Hide
All other Thunderbellies stuff
Command Entourage

Butcher
-Bloodfeast
Command Entourage
Slaughtermaster
-Ribcracker
Command Entourage

3 Units of 4x  Mournfang with Gargant Hackers
Hunters of the Heartland

2000/2000

I played Savage Gains against Skaven. He had 2 drop vs my infinitely more so he got to choose to go first. He did, positioned his army, and placed down soulsnare shackles on the right side of the board which heavily hindered my right side flanking. Next time I will probably place my butcher in a way where he can better babysit the flank by getting rid of them. 

My turn 1 i advanced everything forward the best I could and got a charge off with my frostlord onto a unit of 10 Acolytes, killing them all. The turn wrapped up quickly after that but do to a mistake on the numbers i needed to capture an objective I missed both a battle tactic plus 2 VPs for capturing that objective so I was down 7-3

Turn 2 they win roll off and go first. In their shooting phase not only do they kill the stonehorn but they also kill the thundertusk. My opponent then moved up a little with the verminlord.

My turn 2 I am able to get two of my mournfang units in to combat. The first unit was given bloodfeast and it went into the verminlord who i also gave a -1 save due to ribcracker. The second unit got +1 to hit thanks to the slaughtermaster and landed their charge into a lightning cannon. Combat phase begins and the unit on the verminlord straight up kill him from full health in a single turn. The buffs played a big art in making this possible. The other mournfang unit easily kill the lightning cannon. Turn ends and while I didnt make back my points lost in the TT and SH dying, I did essentially leave it so that the last threat on the board for me was their unit of 6 Stormfiends. I am also able to tie the game at 15.

Turn 3 I get the double turn which all but ends the game. I dont manage to completely kill off the stormfiends until turn 5 but the rest of his army outside of a warlock was killed this turn making it nearly impossible to win. I end up winning by a final of 35-28

My biggest take aways from this is that the Stonehorn and Thundertusk make a great distraction. Obviously I dont want them both dying in a round of shooting but I feel like when I bring this to a tournament or event the mournfang are going to get ignored a bit because of how unorthodox it is as of late to rely on them to be the damage dealers. Interested to see where this army can go if I didnt get my right side flank hampered because the left side fired off and did a ton of work for me. Cant wait to get some more practice in with this list between now and September/October.

From my opponents perspective, I think he should have given me first go turn 1 and tried to get a doubleturn so that the Stormfiends could melt things. Not sure where it wouldve left us had he gone first turn 3 as I was already in a good spot to win but if he wouldve gotten a doubleturn on battle round 2 I probably wouldve been in an uphill battle to win

also had a ton of fun with the slaughtermaster. What a great model outside of it being finecast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schauer said:

So I made a switch up on this list + got to try it out finally.

New List: 

FLoSH
-Metal Cruncher

HoTT
-Shatterstone
-Rimefrost Hide
All other Thunderbellies stuff
Command Entourage

Butcher
-Bloodfeast
Command Entourage
Slaughtermaster
-Ribcracker
Command Entourage

3 Units of 4x  Mournfang with Gargant Hackers
Hunters of the Heartland

2000/2000

I played Savage Gains against Skaven. He had 2 drop vs my infinitely more so he got to choose to go first. He did, positioned his army, and placed down soulsnare shackles on the right side of the board which heavily hindered my right side flanking. Next time I will probably place my butcher in a way where he can better babysit the flank by getting rid of them. 

My turn 1 i advanced everything forward the best I could and got a charge off with my frostlord onto a unit of 10 Acolytes, killing them all. The turn wrapped up quickly after that but do to a mistake on the numbers i needed to capture an objective I missed both a battle tactic plus 2 VPs for capturing that objective so I was down 7-3

Turn 2 they win roll off and go first. In their shooting phase not only do they kill the stonehorn but they also kill the thundertusk. My opponent then moved up a little with the verminlord.

My turn 2 I am able to get two of my mournfang units in to combat. The first unit was given bloodfeast and it went into the verminlord who i also gave a -1 save due to ribcracker. The second unit got +1 to hit thanks to the slaughtermaster and landed their charge into a lightning cannon. Combat phase begins and the unit on the verminlord straight up kill him from full health in a single turn. The buffs played a big art in making this possible. The other mournfang unit easily kill the lightning cannon. Turn ends and while I didnt make back my points lost in the TT and SH dying, I did essentially leave it so that the last threat on the board for me was their unit of 6 Stormfiends. I am also able to tie the game at 15.

Turn 3 I get the double turn which all but ends the game. I dont manage to completely kill off the stormfiends until turn 5 but the rest of his army outside of a warlock was killed this turn making it nearly impossible to win. I end up winning by a final of 35-28

My biggest take aways from this is that the Stonehorn and Thundertusk make a great distraction. Obviously I dont want them both dying in a round of shooting but I feel like when I bring this to a tournament or event the mournfang are going to get ignored a bit because of how unorthodox it is as of late to rely on them to be the damage dealers. Interested to see where this army can go if I didnt get my right side flank hampered because the left side fired off and did a ton of work for me. Cant wait to get some more practice in with this list between now and September/October.

From my opponents perspective, I think he should have given me first go turn 1 and tried to get a doubleturn so that the Stormfiends could melt things. Not sure where it wouldve left us had he gone first turn 3 as I was already in a good spot to win but if he wouldve gotten a doubleturn on battle round 2 I probably wouldve been in an uphill battle to win

also had a ton of fun with the slaughtermaster. What a great model outside of it being finecast. 

Did they shoot with the 6 Stormfiends to Froslord of Stonehorn and Huskard on Thunderstrusk with the witch Stone, More More Wrap Power and vigurous injection? I have never won this type of list. 

Only with a specific underguts list with three cannons killing their skyre heroes (so as to cancel stormfiends combo).

With a few number of screens it is imposible to get enough near to do a melee fight vs stormfiends. 

Edited by Sartxac

2 hours ago, Sartxac said:

Did they shoot with the 6 Stormfiends to Froslord of Stonehorn and Huskard on Thunderstrusk with the witch Stone, More More Wrap Power and vigurous injection? I have never won this type of list. 

Only with a specific underguts list with three cannons killing their skyre heroes (so as to cancel stormfiends combo).

With a few number of screens it is imposible to get enough near to do a melee fight vs stormfiends. 

Storm fiends plinked a few wounds on the frostlord with the windlauncher but the real kicker was a lightning cannon powered up and it rolled a 1 for the power die. Even with the 5+ shake 12 mortal wounds sent my way was enough to drop him. Then the other lightning cannon blasted my thundetusk down to 2 and the verminlord finished it off by chucking its orb at me. Luckily for me I was able to tie up those stormfiends long enough i didnt ever really need to worry about them.

13 hours ago, Schauer said:

Storm fiends plinked a few wounds on the frostlord with the windlauncher but the real kicker was a lightning cannon powered up and it rolled a 1 for the power die. Even with the 5+ shake 12 mortal wounds sent my way was enough to drop him. Then the other lightning cannon blasted my thundetusk down to 2 and the verminlord finished it off by chucking its orb at me. Luckily for me I was able to tie up those stormfiends long enough i didnt ever really need to worry about them.

Ok, stormfiends without improvements are a mediocre unit.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:37 AM, Charleston said:

It is my first tournament so expectations are low anyway. I still try to figure out if Husskard on SH is a good idea or if I shall cut down 2 Mournfangs to get a Frostfang instead. The frostspear, additional wound and 3+ save look damn crisp to me, especially as many battletactics favor a strong and killy monster hero. 

You can consider a FloSH if you definitely need that one hero to survive. In any scenario where you don't, the HoSH is imo better value. The Frost Spear is complete trash against hard targets in this edition, averaging barely 1 damage even if buffed to 2+, 2+, and Ogors already have a lot of other good sources of damage against soft targets.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, EldritchX said:

You can consider a FloSH if you definitely need that one hero to survive. In any scenario where you don't, the HoSH is imo better value. The Frost Spear is complete trash against hard targets in this edition, averaging barely 1 damage even if buffed to 2+, 2+, and Ogors already have a lot of other good sources of damage against soft targets.

3+ save is far better than 4+ in v3 

1 hour ago, Arkahn said:

3+ save is far better than 4+ in v3 

It's far better for one unit in your entire army per phase/turn, because AoD and Mystic Shield are thus limited. It's much less so for the others. For these others, the lower cost of the HoSH works out to higher resilience per point. The relevant offensive output per point of HoSHs is also comparable or better.

Edited by EldritchX

I almost painted a Clan Skryre army a few months back, but too many bills and too little time to play MORE armies, so I sold 'em and stuck with the meaty boyz.  Glad I did.  I have Iron Warriors if I wanna play 30k/40k :0

With Skaven in general it does seem they kinda fall apart if we can get rid of the heroes (especially because of the crappy bravery).  Though they're not super great without Underguts, I do think a unit of Leadbelchers comes in real handy for hero sniping, and some vultures if going the heavy BCR route.  Haven't ever tried an Ironblaster, but those are pretty cheap actually.  Maybe Maneaters can make good assassins too....if only they could hide in units of Gnoblars and surprise people!

What do you guys think about this Kraggy list? It doesn't use a Mawtribe instead it goes all in on Command points. I think it does a few things well:

-It has super tanky units. Kragnos and Runetokens FLOSH are naturally bulky and All Defense makes Ironguts pretty tanky as well. All of the big hitters are independent and, because all your buffs come from Command points, you can super easily move them to whichever unit needs it the most that turn.

It's super low on wounds and model count but I think it would take a turn or 2 to kill one of the threats and the all of them can do some serious damage. Kragnos gives Ogors some anti-magic which is much needed.

I'd love to give it a few games on TTS before buying Kraggy. 

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (430) in Battle Regiment
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Icebrow Hunter (125) in Command Entourage
- General
- Command Trait: Winter Ranger
Kragnos, The End of Empires (695)
UNITS
8 x Ironguts (490)
2 x Frost Sabres (55)
2 x Frost Sabres (55)
2 x Frost Sabres (55)
2 x Frost Sabres (55)
TOTAL: 1960/2000

I'd probably group 2 of the cat units into 1 bigger unit to outflank with the Hunter, but that's a neat weird army.  The CP route is intriguing and I think could pay off pretty well going for Battle Tactics.  I used the Hunter once like that in 2.0 and it was pretty fun injecting the CA nitrous into the Ogor fueltank.  Yet another way to play the Mawtribes for the low low price of 125 points!  And Stonehorn Beastriders would still be battle-line with a Hunter General.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

Oh, and I have an old plastic Glutton/Bull converted into a Slaughtermaster, but this guy just has a nice big belly, no gut-plate hole.  Anyone know what those bodies were from?  I can't find any other plastic Ogres like that.

I'll snap a picture later tonight.

Here he his...see that big belly?  No gutplate hole.  I'd love another 2 of those bodies.

DSCF0234.JPG

Edited by Lord Krungharr
added picture