AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

@Kadeton

I managed to get in a 4 way game last night, using proxies to represent the Ogors. One word... BRUTAL! However, I didn't realise 'til after the game that 'Brand of the Svard' only grants +1 to hit on the mount only, and not the rider. I'll have to clear that up with my opponents and apologise 😅

• Like 1

Hello friends,

This week I am going to play after a long time (****** covid) a game to AOS with my dear Ogres, the game is against Stormcast and my list is:

400120000801-337427-2.jpg

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron
- Lore of Gutmagic: Fleshcrave Curse
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Blood Feast

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
8 x Ironguts (440)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Artillery
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamanbo said:

Hello friends,

This week I am going to play after a long time (****** covid) a game to AOS with my dear Ogres, the game is against Stormcast and my list is:

400120000801-337427-2.jpg

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Greasy Deluge
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Artefact: Wizardflesh Apron
- Lore of Gutmagic: Fleshcrave Curse
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Blood Feast

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
8 x Ironguts (440)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Artillery
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)

Battalions
Goremand (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

I really think this list would benefit more from being Underguts instead of Bloodgullet. Also you could use the 2nd artefact you get from your battalion to give your tyrant the trophy rack. I like it otherwise. Hope you have fun!

On 3/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, Verminlord said:

Thinking about returning to this army with this list. 

Boulderhead, artifacts not sure yet.

The plan is to use 2cp T1 to bully both gnoblar units, who will be strung out so that both are within 3 of the Tyrant and also on or threatening an objective. Tyrant can then move up the board/ be used as charge bait. And Jorlbad of course giving my big beasties what is effectively run&charge T1.

Anyone have experience with gnoblars? I know they'll die quick, but that's damage not going into stonehorns. I wish I could bully my clanrats and leave them without a baby sitter that's for sure.

Screenshot_20210324-151506.jpg

So I've tried the list out against slaanesh seekers with glutos and the 6" pile in battalion. Even with fight twice (after summoning a keeper) he was only able to kill one of the units of fearless gnoblars. Having two screens to stretch out blocking alpha/deepstrike and threatening objectives without going all in with a stonehorn was invaluable. The mournfang act as mini screens that can also threaten lightly defended objectives in a pinch.

I was able to pick my fights much more easily, and be more conservative with my monsters. Once the opponent goes for the gnoblars, stonehorns rush in and wreck shop while tagging objectives for +10 bodies. If the gnoblars are ignored, they continue to stretch out and screen off more of the board while tagging objectives.

The tyrant is no slouch in combat either, and I can leave him behind to protect back objectives without feeling too bad about it. I did give him long strider for 10" move while hungry in case I needed to throw him up to charge something.

I out dropped my opponent but even if I hadn't, the list has tools to screen and play safe T1.

Won my game and the list was a blast to play. Highly recommend experimenting with gnoblars! I may try the list with eurlbad next, as I rolled horribly for my d6 jorlbad hero phase move.

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 7:16 AM, Verminlord said:

So I've tried the list out against slaanesh seekers with glutos and the 6" pile in battalion. Even with fight twice (after summoning a keeper) he was only able to kill one of the units of fearless gnoblars. Having two screens to stretch out blocking alpha/deepstrike and threatening objectives without going all in with a stonehorn was invaluable. The mournfang act as mini screens that can also threaten lightly defended objectives in a pinch.

I was able to pick my fights much more easily, and be more conservative with my monsters. Once the opponent goes for the gnoblars, stonehorns rush in and wreck shop while tagging objectives for +10 bodies. If the gnoblars are ignored, they continue to stretch out and screen off more of the board while tagging objectives.

The tyrant is no slouch in combat either, and I can leave him behind to protect back objectives without feeling too bad about it. I did give him long strider for 10" move while hungry in case I needed to throw him up to charge something.

I out dropped my opponent but even if I hadn't, the list has tools to screen and play safe T1.

Won my game and the list was a blast to play. Highly recommend experimenting with gnoblars! I may try the list with eurlbad next, as I rolled horribly for my d6 jorlbad hero phase move.

Gnoblars save lives!  At least that's what I've been told before, and now you've proven it.  I might have to get a bunch and not try very hard when painting them  :)

Never had good luck running a Tyrant, but I guess his CA is useful for this purpose; I didn't get that he can move off and the little buggers remain fearless without him in range.  Reading, words.....

• Like 1

Anyone ever try running 4 Frostlords on Stonehorns, and then just 3x3 Gluttons?  Seems pretty fun.  SHBRs are nice and all but the lords do so much extra damage, and can all get a mount trait in Boulderhead, plus the wound and their 3+ save.  Ugh, gonna have to magnetize and alter a couple of my SHBRs now.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:51 AM, HostilSpike said:

So I'm getting this error in Azyr now, did something change?

Screenshot_20210330-114250_WH AoS.jpg

It’s my understanding that this changed when GW removed much of the malign sorcery content from match play, including the realm artifacts from the malign sorcery book. 

Whoa, that's a lot of yhetees!  Never seen those in action.  I think Winterbite lets them run and charge and pile in like 9" or something and reroll wound rolls.  I'm taking a look at the book in my nook tonight.  Intriguing.

Assuming the Firebelly gets his spell off they'd be at -2 to hit in their deployment zone.  But his spells almost never go off when I've used him.

11 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

So we can’t even use him lol. 

he also looks pretty runty in this pic, a bit sad haha.

Doesnt the Ogor Keyword allow us too? I agree though I thought he would be a bit taller, maybe it's his posing as his leaning in to a swing? Standing upright he would be bigger.

Edited by KingBrodd

13 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

Interesting, but I don’t get it too. Wintertouched is not really worth it with such small units.

Looks like Yhetees  can run and charge if they start the charge wholly within 16" of a Thundertusk, and also are battleline if a Thundertusk is the general, and are eligible to fight with 6" of an enemy and can pilein 3" extra too.   I would definitely make the Frostlord on Stonehorn general otherwise.   Trying to remember the tome but they can also fight at the start of the combat phase if within like 12" of the general, and they can add 1 to their wound rolls from an aura, AND Call of the Blizzard can return a slain yhetee to a unit, AND they have a natural -1 to hit in melle, plus the Winterbite -1 to hit from missiles whilst in their own territory.

Definitely a whole crapload of stacking buffs, both defensive and offensive.  Still the Thundertusk can be pretty easily sniped with enough shooting or just magic MW or a couple Lightning Cannons, or just getting crammed by a couple good charging Stonehorns.  Then the Yhetees would be pretty easily dealt with.  They don't hit very well and only have a 6+ save.  Frankly I'd bet on Bloodgullet Ironguts over this.  But if I somehow get ahold of tons of Yhetees for cheap I'll give it a try for sure!

• Like 1

A friend who was active in WHFB tournaments some time ago told me that it is always a good go to build a list of outside the meta as man people won´t see what is comming for them. When you expect all current meta-lists, it is likely that a Yheti list suprises you so much you recognize what it is up too when it is too late. 

• Like 1

Greetings fellow fatties! Not wanting to start a new thread over this, so:

1. How do people in general feel about Ogres on square bases being used in AoS? Any experiences with it? And how do square bases play out in gameplay terms anyway?
  2. Are there any comparison pictures of the new WHQ Ogre next to other models from the Ogre range? He looks like a perfect character model to me.
  3. How well das the WH:U warband play as part of a "normal" army list?
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Darnok said:

1. How do people in general feel about Ogres on square bases being used in AoS? Any experiences with it? And how do square bases play out in gameplay terms anyway?

Based on the online store Ogors come with 40mm round bases. They used to be on 40mm square bases. That means, technically...

...you are able to get a larger footprint with the square bases due to fact that a diameter of 40mm square is roughly 1.4 times wider than a 40mm round base.

...you won´t get any benefit in combat though.

I never cared about the bases when I played AoS in casual games. In tounaments I think you have to go with the round bases.

23 hours ago, Darnok said:

2. Are there any comparison pictures of the new WHQ Ogre next to other models from the Ogre range? He looks like a perfect character model to me.
  3. How well das the WH:U warband play as part of a "normal" army list?

1) Amazing for a few games to get your feet wet or try something out, but  but not great for a long time, as it does give for some wonky advantages and disadvantages (based on being able to squeeze more models in to B2b)

2) No Idea

3) He plays quite well. I've posted this before, but in general, deepstrikes are already quite useful for pinning enemies on their home objectives. Relative to a standard hunter, he is pretty cost effective, taking a few more points, but comes with the 3 gnoblars who are great at sitting on a home objective. He is definitely usable, but people often prefer the flexibility of the normal hunter, who can take a general trait if you want the frost sabres to be battleline or can take a bigger squad of sabres if desired. But if you just want the hunter, I think he is almost a strict upgrade.

51 minutes ago, Frowny said:

1) Amazing for a few games to get your feet wet or try something out, but  but not great for a long time

Eh, when I build and paint models the bases are one of the first things glued on and one of the last things done. Definitely no changing bases around on painted models! I guess my Ogres will end up as a "casual AoS army", since I like the option to field them in WHF as well - and round bases in WHF are something I avoid whenever possible.

To be honest: I have so many Ogre models, I might do both in the end... :ph34r:

as it does give for some wonky advantages and disadvantages (based on being able to squeeze more models in to B2b)

Not true for Ogres, at least not for the infantry. Almost all of them come on 40mm squares for WHF, and 40mm rounds for AoS - so on square bases they are actually at a disadvantage. Cavalry - on the oval bases - should work out similarly, but I never thought about those too much.

3) He plays quite well. I've posted this before, but in general, deepstrikes are already quite useful for pinning enemies on their home objectives. Relative to a standard hunter, he is pretty cost effective, taking a few more points, but comes with the 3 gnoblars who are great at sitting on a home objective. He is definitely usable, but people often prefer the flexibility of the normal hunter, who can take a general trait if you want the frost sabres to be battleline or can take a bigger squad of sabres if desired. But if you just want the hunter, I think he is almost a strict upgrade.

Good to hear, thanks for the detailed response! Sound to me like both versions of the Hunter have their pros and cons, none being the strictly better option. Excellent!