AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Hey Tyrants :)

Im pretty new to the Mawtribes and I want to Point out, that I always buy, paint and Play fluff themed.

I started by picking up a Battleforce Box and added a Maw Pot, 3 Maneaters, a Butcher and a Firebelly. I plan to run a Gutbusters List. The idea is to have always the Tyrant as the General, because he always is! I get 12 Gluttons, 4 Ironguts, 4 Leadbelchers,  1 Cannon and a Gargant with the Battleforce. For me the perfect start to the Mawtribes. But I cant decid which Tribe I will run. The Bloodgullet sounds really nice and the mechanism to boost our Magic is cool, but I think Ogors will only buff through Magic and should not rely on it tooooo much. Is there a better Option? Or should I go without a Special Tribe? I think I will only add 1 Box of Ironguts in the future, so there is not much Budget left to add other things. I know the Maneaters are not that good, but in this case for me its the rule of cool!

Sorry for my english, Im from Germany!

Regards

John

The thing about Bloodgullets is that the 6" pile in is a great buff in its own right, and the Slaughtermaster's pot is not magic dependent (especially with a Goremand Battalion). 

So you can buff your units even without relying on magic - although it can be a very nice upside, when you're facing an army that doesn't dominate magic (which is still most of them).  

I'd say that the Splatter Cleaver and Nice Drop are good enough to make Bloodgullets worth consideration even without the magic buffs.

@Eorek

Hello, 

I like how you build your list. I have some question :

- 1 : In to your gluttons pack, why you go for iron fist instead of pairing club ? You target something specially ? 

- 2 : Do you think you can go for a msu gluttons pack ?  Same hp, less letality but you can take more units.

- 3 : With the actual meta, do you think taking a Balewind vortex is a great choice ? (I think not but ..)

Same as you i'm playing bloodgullet all the time, but your choice to go on Winterbite trib was so smart 🙂👍

20 minutes ago, Zorki said:

@Eorek

Hello, 

I like how you build your list. I have some question :

- 1 : In to your gluttons pack, why you go for iron fist instead of pairing club ? You target something specially ? 

- 2 : Do you think you can go for a msu gluttons pack ?  Same hp, less letality but you can take more units.

- 3 : With the actual meta, do you think taking a Balewind vortex is a great choice ? (I think not but ..)

Same as you i'm playing bloodgullet all the time, but your choice to go on Winterbite trib was so smart 🙂👍

1. I feel like a unit of 12 gluttons kill anything that doesnt have like... rerollable +2 save etc, and for that you need mortal wounds, and the fists provide that, also they will take a huge hit at some point.  And then the fists cause a decent amount of damage. 

2. They get a regiment discount. Also I want a deathstar that I can go and take the big fights stacked with buffs(works better in blood gullet. But quite decent in winter bite and having a 48 wound block for 400p taking the midfield is real potent. If I went msu I would always go 4 ironguts instead as they are an alot better solo unit.

3. I feel that I am not running a balewind in blood gullet due to 3 reasons: tzeentch, lumineth, seraphon. You never get to cast it and the ectra spell you get from bloodgullet gets dispelled more times than not.

I actually updated my list quite a bit since my last post.

i really wish I had room for a firebelly... him getting off his spell is a gamebreaker vs some armies... but the cats are needed for many objectives and the gnoblars are almost a must have as a screen.

Screenshot_20210223-032638_Chrome.jpg.def6360cb5351d37910182923eb27437.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, Televiper11 said:

I recently picked up the Battleforce box and am getting ready to paint it up. My question is about the Ironblaster. I’m pretty down on it’s WS, seems like you need to run like 3+ in Underguts and then handcuff your Tyrant to it.  Thoughts on it?

Pretty much, unless you're running the Ironblaster Support kit in Underguts it won't perform well. In Underguts with support they're pretty good.

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

What are everyones thoughts of Corpse Eater?

I really like him....he looks like a proper old school ogre, like he came from an orc and goblin army from the 1990s.

It'll be interesting to view his warscroll but if it's not that great.....he'll make a nice addition to a unit of maneaters.

15 hours ago, Gutlord said:

I really like him....he looks like a proper old school ogre, like he came from an orc and goblin army from the 1990s.

It'll be interesting to view his warscroll but if it's not that great.....he'll make a nice addition to a unit of maneaters.

I also really like him. Aesthetically he looks incredible and personally wouldnt be opposed to see updated Gluttons in his silhouette with Gut Plates.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

What are everyones thoughts of Corpse Eater?

He’d look too civilized for my army, as I envision it. But, yeah, he would fit Ogors in general as a new Maneater. 
Personally, I prefer my Fisheaters for that role, keeping with my overall Ice Age/Winterbeast hunt theme:

7E8F138B-AF68-45C5-8B8E-750834EE0995.jpeg

5 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

Just from this little blurb, I already love his personality.

Screenshot_20210303-222444.png

'Grab that dead culture out of the gutter' I bloody love that.

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

He’d look too civilized for my army, as I envision it. But, yeah, he would fit Ogors in general as a new Maneater. 
Personally, I prefer my Fisheaters for that role, keeping with my overall Ice Age/Winterbeast hunt theme:

7E8F138B-AF68-45C5-8B8E-750834EE0995.jpeg

Mate these are incredible!! You're Ice Age themed Factions are beautiful.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Gave Eurlbad Boulderhead a shot at a tournament yesterday and ended up placing in 3rd (granted with one bye victory for being lucky)

I had a bye matchup against the TO who brought Nurgle. It was my first experience against them so I'll admit I was a little surprised when blight kings cleared the entire map and charged me top of turn 1. It was a very close loss for me but being a friendly I wasnt sweating it too much, plus the TO was a really nice guy so it was a fun game. 

Game 2 I got to take on Sons in the ultimate low model count fight. They stayed back turn 1 and I took the bait and pressed forward, killing one of the smaller gargants. Top of turn 2 they won priority (big yikes since the model I killed was the only one that was in combat) and charged into me with each mega gargant plus one of the smaller ones. They do charge damage on a 2+ and my opponent got diced unfortunately on the charge rolls, rolling 3/4 1's. After that point I was able to really pile in the damage on them in combat phase, and was shaking damage with my 5+ like it was 2+ and the game effectively ended by turn 2, with my oppoent losing two mega gargants in a single turn and a min squad of mournfang doing the same to a mancrusher. It was one of those games where the dice just did not agree with my opponent and while I think mawtribes have the advantage in this matchup, I think the game wouldve been much closer with even average dice. 

Game 3 I was playing for top of the table against IDK in shifting objectives. This was my first matchup against IDK and knowing what I know now I would have played them much differently. I took turn 1 priority and moved up to take all 3 objectives and was baiting them to come forward. Little did I know, this army really loves their alpha strikes too! I lost a metal cruncher and my beastriders by the top of turn 2 and while the shifting 3 VP objective was going in my favor, eventually i just could not hold up to the damage those eels and the turtle did and I was done for by turn 4. 

All in all I had a lot of fun and the people at this event were very nice people. Im happy I got to experience these three matchups as my local meta has different factions than what was being played at this event so the next time when I face these armies, I think I know how to deal with them better going forward (especially IDK as I dont think I could have whiffed any harder on how to play them!)

I REALLY liked the rune tokens, but wasnt so much sold on the Eurlbad bonus. Part of me wants to try including some wizards instead for molten entrails and ribcracker, and to have some presence in the enemy hero phase. it would take a bit to set it up, but a FLoSH with Entrails and its damage bonus for completing a charge sounds really powerful and ribcracker would be a nice way to remove some save utility 

Gave Eurlbad Boulderhead a shot at a tournament yesterday and ended up placing in 3rd (granted with one bye victory for being lucky)

I had a bye matchup against the TO who brought Nurgle. It was my first experience against them so I'll admit I was a little surprised when blight kings cleared the entire map and charged me top of turn 1. It was a very close loss for me but being a friendly I wasnt sweating it too much, plus the TO was a really nice guy so it was a fun game. 

Game 2 I got to take on Sons in the ultimate low model count fight. They stayed back turn 1 and I took the bait and pressed forward, killing one of the smaller gargants. Top of turn 2 they won priority (big yikes since the model I killed was the only one that was in combat) and charged into me with each mega gargant plus one of the smaller ones. They do charge damage on a 2+ and my opponent got diced unfortunately on the charge rolls, rolling 3/4 1's. After that point I was able to really pile in the damage on them in combat phase, and was shaking damage with my 5+ like it was 2+ and the game effectively ended by turn 2, with my oppoent losing two mega gargants in a single turn and a min squad of mournfang doing the same to a mancrusher. It was one of those games where the dice just did not agree with my opponent and while I think mawtribes have the advantage in this matchup, I think the game wouldve been much closer with even average dice. 

Game 3 I was playing for top of the table against IDK in shifting objectives. This was my first matchup against IDK and knowing what I know now I would have played them much differently. I took turn 1 priority and moved up to take all 3 objectives and was baiting them to come forward. Little did I know, this army really loves their alpha strikes too! I lost a metal cruncher and my beastriders by the top of turn 2 and while the shifting 3 VP objective was going in my favor, eventually i just could not hold up to the damage those eels and the turtle did and I was done for by turn 4. 

All in all I had a lot of fun and the people at this event were very nice people. Im happy I got to experience these three matchups as my local meta has different factions than what was being played at this event so the next time when I face these armies, I think I know how to deal with them better going forward (especially IDK as I dont think I could have whiffed any harder on how to play them!)

I REALLY liked the rune tokens, but wasnt so much sold on the Eurlbad bonus, those this could be due to me rerolling 6's to hit turn 1 vs nurgle and getting blasted against IDK. Part of me wants to try including some wizards instead for molten entrails and ribcracker, and to have some presence in the enemy hero phase. It would take a bit to set it up but a FLoSH with Entrails and its damage bonus for completing a charge sounds really powerful and ribcracker would be a nice way to remove some save utility 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

You could say we are the Skaven of Destruction 😄

That's why my biggest hope for 3.0 outside of a new kit for Sons of Behemat is a Lumineth/Gloomspite Gits relaunch for Ogors.

Update Butchers, Gorgers, Yehtees, Maneaters and Slaughtermasters. Give more dynamic sculpts such as the Chaos Warriors to Gluttons, Ironguts and Gnoblars. New Frost Sabres and Icebrow Hunters. MORE BEASTS.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, Schauer said:

So how does Boulderhead / Eurlbad actually beat IDK? I played against a  Dhom-hain list with reroll hit rolls after charges and reroll all wound rolls against Monsters. All units have -1 to hit because they count as covered in round 1. Except for my Frostlords on Stonehorn nothing in my army matches multiple charged eels (Akhelian Ishlaen Guard). They are hard to hit and ignore rend.

Do I have to accept that their alpha strike with eels is stronger then our charges and deploy for a counter charge? Should I use my Mournfang Packs as screen?

• Like 1