Army composition around Gotrek

Battlefury

Hello ladies & Gentlemen!

I am thinking about an army composition for 1000 points, that would have Gotrek as the core piece.

Technically he can be an ally to any order faction,  but he could also be a regular unit in a duardin army, as I see.

Does anyone have an idea how such an army would look like?

Cheers///

Any army of 1000 poins that have 520 points of that army tied to one  model with 4" move gonna faill in every battleplan.

Im sorry but is the true. The enemy gonna kite your gotrek and he wont can get to any objetive with 4" move.

But if you want play him,i guess any army with very low cost so you can bodys to grab objetives would be the best

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Battlefury said:

I am thinking about an army composition for 1000 points, that would have Gotrek as the core piece.

Technically he can be an ally to any order faction,  but he could also be a regular unit in a duardin army, as I see.

Cheers///

Seraphon?   That way you can start to summon in extra bodies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Battlefury said:

Cheers///

What’s your aim? Fluffy and fun? 

1 hour ago, Neomaxim said:

I mean... even at 2000pts, overcoming his mobility is an issue.  Adding Chronomantic Cogs can help a bit, but that's even more investment.

1 hour ago, Greven said:

Go idoneth, then one factionmakes your allies use the tides of death table, run and charge etc.. plus for 1 cp u can make him run auto..

Ive ran him on a 1000 pts in a doubles GT, and it massacred just about everything 🥰

The idoneth option sounds fun and effective.

There are several options in the cities of sigmar book for magically assisting Gotrek.

Ghur battlemage from any city plus-minus cogs (easiest to cast in hallowheart obviously) will make him super-speedy but cogs is a lot of points in 1000pt list.  

Flying Gotrek with wings of fire from hammerhal spell lore and enough command points to run 6' or re-roll charges whenever necessary.  Healing from any city with enhanced lifeswarm and hallowheart, living city and phoenicium have direct healing spells too. The alternative to making gotrek faster is to make your enemies slower! Use endless spells, living city/phoenicium city spells, chamon/ulgu battlemages to achieve this. The other alternative to making Gotrek faster is to force your opponent to come to you. Hallowheart or greywater fastness seem like attractive options for this but it will be a bit difficult to achieve at 1000pt with gotrek being over half your army. 

With a couple of battlemages you can really make the rest of a 1000pt army out of whatever battleline you already have or can get at an affordable price. Something like a Hallowheart list with:

Gotrek 520

Chamon Battlemage - general - sear wounds + whatever else you like 90pt

Ghur battlemage - adjutant - 2 spells you want 90pt

10xFreeguild guard - honoured retinue- battleline 80pt

10xLongbeards - 110pt - battleline

10xlongbeards - 110pt - battleline 

• Like 1

More generally, at 2000 pts, has anyone had success using Gotrek? 

I've thought about using him to start a cheap second army as he's reasonable from a money for points department and he's the original character that got me into Warhammer way back, but would like a fun army to play. I just haven't seen him in lists at all. 

13 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I've thought about using him to start a cheap second army as he's reasonable from a money for points department and he's the original character that got me into Warhammer way back, but would like a fun army to play. I just haven't seen him in lists at all. 

I've only theorised. Amber mage is a given, and I like either Living City to spread the threat, or Hammerhal to give some spring in his step (with wings).

Cogs isn't worth it, you don't want the rest to be fast.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, Dr Ben said:

The idoneth option sounds fun and effective.

There are several options in the cities of sigmar book for magically assisting Gotrek.

Ghur battlemage from any city plus-minus cogs (easiest to cast in hallowheart obviously) will make him super-speedy but cogs is a lot of points in 1000pt list.  

Flying Gotrek with wings of fire from hammerhal spell lore and enough command points to run 6' or re-roll charges whenever necessary.  Healing from any city with enhanced lifeswarm and hallowheart, living city and phoenicium have direct healing spells too. The alternative to making gotrek faster is to make your enemies slower! Use endless spells, living city/phoenicium city spells, chamon/ulgu battlemages to achieve this. The other alternative to making Gotrek faster is to force your opponent to come to you. Hallowheart or greywater fastness seem like attractive options for this but it will be a bit difficult to achieve at 1000pt with gotrek being over half your army. 

With a couple of battlemages you can really make the rest of a 1000pt army out of whatever battleline you already have or can get at an affordable price. Something like a Hallowheart list with:

Gotrek 520

Chamon Battlemage - general - sear wounds + whatever else you like 90pt

Ghur battlemage - adjutant - 2 spells you want 90pt

10xFreeguild guard - honoured retinue- battleline 80pt

10xLongbeards - 110pt - battleline

10xlongbeards - 110pt - battleline 

Refering to the warscrolls I don't really got what you mean with the ghur & chamon wizards.

Basically I like the idea to support him as best as possible with mages.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-battlemage-en.pdf

I played a 1,000pt game recently where I had this:

Gotrek

Lord Celestant

3X Palladors

5 Liberators

5 Liberators

Played v ironjaws so we were always going to get into a fight. What i didnt realise until he was on the table is that Gotrek creates a significant fear factor for your opponent. They don't want to go anywhere near him. When he did get into combat he killed 10 brutes in one go and the rest of the battle my opponent moved everything away from him (i ran Gitrek every time inviti g a charge) rather than get close.  I should have taken a wizard though as the greenie player teleported his other units all around the place and i lost because it was the battleplan where if you control 2 you instawin. 

Against a strong close combat army I can well see Gotrek creating an aura of fear - makes him ideal to plod forward and secure an objective. However at the same time, esp at 1K points, it means a good half your army is basically being avoided. Which means the other half has to pick up the slack fighting the opponent. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 4:41 AM, dmorley21 said:

I played him in a 2000 pt list with Seraphon against Slyvaneth last weekend.  He died in round 3 of a 5 round game, but I think if my opponent hadn’t been fixated on him after he killed 6 Kurnoth hunters with Greatswords in Round 2, I might have lost Lord Kroak.  Also, those 6 Kurnoth hunters were headed in Kroak’s direction when they were slaughtered by Gotrek.  I won the game and killed the opponent's army.

Played him in 2 tournaments. 3 games and 5 games. Never died (though taken to 2 wounds) and in most games killed his own points or more. Main benefit was the enemy trying to kill him so much they didnt target the rest of the army 

I aim to use him again in April at WetCoastGT to get my 3rd Gotrek slot for the  "Gotrek Glorious Gotrek" thing