Bad Dice

T10

47 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The whole 'they're collector's items' thing just sounds like making excuses for GW. 

Why can't they have form and function? 

Maybe whoever is put on dice designing duty is bitter about it? They want to be making Plastic Aspect Warriors, or the next generation of Seraphon...but there they are...forced to make dice...🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stratigo said:

GW dice are not in any way balanced. Do some salt water testing.

I would really begin to question my life decisions if I found myself scientifically testing dice for balance. I will leave that to TFG's in 40K 🤣

I am more concerned with something that happened about 5 years ago in WHF 8th edition. A guy had bought some bags of dice off ebay, used them in a tournament and won. But due to some complaints, the dice were tested and several were found to be quite obviously weighted/cooked.

The guy actually voluntarily forfeited, and I have no doubt it was completely accidental. But now I always have the creeping anxiety when I buy cheap dice off amazon or ebay. Especially when those freak rolls occur and swing games.

That anxiety isn't present when both sides are using GW dice. If they end up being imbalanced, at least we are all eating from the same table.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The whole 'they're collector's items' thing just sounds like making excuses for GW. 

Why can't they have form and function? 

I'm not saying it as an excuse. When you look at how expensive they are, and how few are produced, it's kind of clear that they're not really supposed to be these mass-market high-volume dice you get a ton of. 

I'm confident, that GW simply doesn't care. It's a nice gimmick to new releases and if they happen to be useable then good but if not then they have the excuse that they are just something to collect so who cares.

I'm lucky that my Blood Angels dice are useable as well as that they look great. Something that unfortunately can't be said for some of the other faction's dice.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:55 AM, Landohammer said:

I would really begin to question my life decisions if I found myself scientifically testing dice for balance. I will leave that to TFG's in 40K 🤣

I am more concerned with something that happened about 5 years ago in WHF 8th edition. A guy had bought some bags of dice off ebay, used them in a tournament and won. But due to some complaints, the dice were tested and several were found to be quite obviously weighted/cooked.

The guy actually voluntarily forfeited, and I have no doubt it was completely accidental. But now I always have the creeping anxiety when I buy cheap dice off amazon or ebay. Especially when those freak rolls occur and swing games.

That anxiety isn't present when both sides are using GW dice. If they end up being imbalanced, at least we are all eating from the same table.  

If, after like 30 games you notice "hmmm, these dice kinda roll a lot of sixes" and start to use only them, you are already being TFG, but using the thin excuse that "Well I'm not CERTAIN the weights are off" to keep using them.

I'd rather just normal pipped dice with a cool faction symbol on the 6. Thats it. No need for dancing skeletons holding up 3 fingers for a "3." Or tipping his top hat holding two fingers for a "2." No need to have a roll of a "4" be an engraving of the mortarch adjusting his codpiece of fury. 

I wish I could have 30 or 40 of the nurgle blood bowl dice. They are perfect. Chessex wont use any obvious GW symbology on their dice anymore. As I did buy this set and dont have a nurgle team in my blood bowl collection I use them as my AoS nurgle army's casting dice and for priority rolls. 

nurgle-team-dice.jpg.11b61d3c0c9615fae60f887fbd18d06a.jpg

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

15 hours ago, stratigo said:

If, after like 30 games you notice "hmmm, these dice kinda roll a lot of sixes" and start to use only them, you are already being TFG, but using the thin excuse that "Well I'm not CERTAIN the weights are off" to keep using them.

I wish AOS had more situations where 6's were unfavorable. Currently its just bravery tests.

Certain rolls of 6's can be *really* bad in 40k, such as perils of the warp and explosion checks. Probably not enough to outweigh saves and d6 damage rolls but at least its something.