Have we played Gaunt Summoners Infernal Flames wrong all this time?

Thalandor

Question

hello everyone.

Cities of Sigmar have brought us new spells. One of them is Elemental Cyclone. It states that you pick an enemy unit within 12 inch. Do I assume correctly, that this means, that the range of the spell is 12 inch and these 12 inch can be improved with the help of a Balewind Vortex or/and an Umbral Spellportal?

In the next sentence, it states, that you roll a dice for every modell within 12 inch. I want to emphasize that this is written in another sentence than where the range of the spell is declared. Does this mean, that this is in fact a second condition to the effect of the spell and not actually the range of the spell? 

For example, you are not allowed to stand next to an umbral spellportal, summon an endless spell and place it on the other side of the second portal, as it technically isn't within x inch of the caster. Within x inch of the caster and cast range of a spell appear to be two seperated conditions to a spell (or any other ability for that matter).

The problem is, that this would mean, that the spell Infernal Flames from the Gaunt Summoner has been played wrong all this time, which I find hard to believe that no one has noticed this by now. Infernal Flames states that "pick one enemy unit that is visible and roll a dice for every modell within 18 inch". If my above assumptions are correct, this means, that the spell has an infinite range to begin with but the second condition "every modell within 18 inch" is not the spell range and thus cannot be improved by any means, including Balewind Vortex, Arcane Sacrifice and Umbral Spellportal.

So there is either a fault in my logic chain or those two spells (and probably some other spells/abilities as well) have been played wrong all this time. What is it?

Edited by Thalandor
added tags
  • Haha 1

1 answer to this question

As far as I am aware the range to cast and the effect range of the spell are two separate things. The second one cannot be increased in any way. It is similar to some niche shooting situations (black dragon breath). The actual damage comes from "count up the models within 6 inches and roll a d6 for each of them". Technically the black dragons breath is infinite range. But you only count up the models within the set range (6") when figuring out damage. I am fairly certain that this was explained in a faq or errata at some point and is a similar issue

The way our group plays it the range to cast would be increased by ex: balewind vortex, but the range for rolling dice for the number of models effected is NOT the cast range. It is a range for the effect and is not specifically boosted by the wording of "increased cast range".

I will look or the faq/errata and see if I can find it as I believe that this is the official ruling (cast range and spell range are two different things).

Edited by TheCovenLord
  • Haha 1