War Coming To Azyr?

Pellynor

Reading through the new Cities of Sigmar battletome and I came across an interesting piece of information. It appears war will soon be coming to the God-King realm. Why is this, you may ask? Exhibit A!

Celestial Hurricanum Warscroll

Celestial Battlemage

Add 1 to casting rolls for this model if the battle takes place in Azyr.

This also shows up for the Battlemage warscroll as one of the potential realms to have a battle in.  I'm thinking this may be a hint of things to come after the events of Forbidden Power. Something so big and scary has joined Nagash, and it was nasty enough that Sigmar tried to hide it away.

What do you folks think?

2 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

I would prefer we keep orcs head-butting as far away from this new setting as possible.

More headbutting orruks in the AoS!! Recreate old Archaon-Grimgor fight!! WE DA BEST!!!

But seriously I can't wait for that - it will open new possibilieties as we finally learn something more about geography of Azyr. New battlefields to scratchbuild and new theme armies to convert. Azyrheim Defender Force, Nulnstraße Academy Exploratory Force, so many ideas!!!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Pellynor said:

Reading through the new Cities of Sigmar battletome and I came across an interesting piece of information. It appears war will soon be coming to the God-King realm. Why is this, you may ask? Exhibit A!

Celestial Hurricanum Warscroll

Celestial Battlemage

Add 1 to casting rolls for this model if the battle takes place in Azyr.

This also shows up for the Battlemage warscroll as one of the potential realms to have a battle in.  I'm thinking this may be a hint of things to come after the events of Forbidden Power. Something so big and scary has joined Nagash, and it was nasty enough that Sigmar tried to hide it away.

What do you folks think?

Azyr is also the focus of the next Realm-based WD modelism article. 

And is already a key word in the Chronomantic Cogs warscrolls.

But the Orruk Warclans battletome confirms that Gordrakk will attack Excelsis. 

City not featured in the COS book in terms of rules or artworks - which are yet existing as we saw them in White Dwarf earlier this year :

491950265_FreeCityOfSigmar_Excelsis_Palaces.jpg.bffc13de389ca89025587397b9ff3264.jpg

My call (as said in the rumor thread) :

Next AOS supplement is a Siege supplement in Ghur (the focus shifting from Shyish to Ghur is well established already with Beastgrave, Orruk Warclans and Mawtribes (after Ossiarch Bonereapers - which may got Bone Fortresses as mentioned in the CoS Battletome...) 

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

What's Storm of Chaos? Is that a novella?

Old worldwide WFB campaign with an accompanying campaign book where Archaon lead a huge Chaos invasion of the Empire in the world-that-was. GW uh, leant on the scales quite heavily (because chaos kept losing in the submitted battle results) to keep the story moving forward as intended. They wrapped it up with Archaon killing Valten, supposedly Sigmar re-incarnated, but then getting defeated by former ally orc warlord Grimgor headbutting him. Then Archaon ran away.

It rather stuck in the community memory.

Edited by Arkhanist

19 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Old worldwide WFB campaign with an accompanying campaign book where Archaon lead a huge Chaos invasion of the Empire in the world-that-was. GW uh, leant on the scales quite heavily (because chaos kept losing in the submitted battle results) to keep the story moving forward as intended. They wrapped it up with Archaon killing Valten, supposedly Sigmar re-incarnated, but then getting defeated by former ally orc warlord Grimgor headbutting him. Then Archaon ran away.

Ah, that does sound rather lame. But now, it will be Sigmar who gets headbutted, which is a lot better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

What's Storm of Chaos? Is that a novella?

Oh my sweet summer child (said the 26 year old with only hazy memories of the actual aftermath of Storm of Chaos). I'd say they handled it a wee bit better in End Times but that's probaby because everything didn't ostensibly hinge on the results of a worldwide online campaign.

10 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

If malign portents and/or the back oak were models for future narratives then they shouldn't need to lean so heavily on the results in future..... Just maybe fixing games on warhammer TV 😜

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Ah, that does sound rather lame. But now, it will be Sigmar who gets headbutted, which is a lot better.

I would be very surprised if sigmar himself turned up. You never know, but I'd be very surprised. Especially with the whole psychic awakening thing in 40k also going on. A non hammers of sigmar named Stormcast to duel Gordrakk on the other hand, that I wouldn't be surprised to see. 

That and a Skaven gnaw hole popping up in Azyr at a convenient moment in the plot. 

13 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

That and a Skaven gnaw hole popping up in Azyr at a convenient moment in the plot. 

According to the timeline in the Skaven battletome there is actually at least one gnawhole already hidden somewhere in Azyr that Clan Eshin used to learn about the Stormcast from inside right inside Sigmar's throneroom, so it'd make sense that they'd at least keep some presence in Azyr watching from the shadows. Also it'd be the perfect opportunity to release new Eshin models if GW wanted to get rid of the old monkey rats.

"Archaon's head met that of the Orc Warlord, Grimgor Ironhide. Splintering the Chaos lord's shield and sending him sprawling, Grimgor battered Archaon twice around the face before placing his axe on the tip of his foe's throat. Rather than strike the final blow, Grimgor spared his opponent, letting him slump to the ground. The Orc proclaimed 'Grimgor iz da best!' and quit the field, cheered by his followers."

How is this lame? He was da best (I may be a little biased) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I’m suspicious.  The Witch Hunter and Excelsior Warpriest missing from Cities of Sigmar.  The Order of Azyr is pretty present in the fluff of the AoS Black Library I’ve read.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but there could be a new mortal based Azyr army hiding somewhere ready to come out with this “rules for fighting in Azyr” expansion.  Maybe just wishful thinking!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Morglum Ironhide said:

"Archaon's head met that of the Orc Warlord, Grimgor Ironhide. Splintering the Chaos lord's shield and sending him sprawling, Grimgor battered Archaon twice around the face before placing his axe on the tip of his foe's throat. Rather than strike the final blow, Grimgor spared his opponent, letting him slump to the ground. The Orc proclaimed 'Grimgor iz da best!' and quit the field, cheered by his followers."

How is this lame? He was da best (I may be a little biased) 

Since when does an Orc. especially one as big, strong and brutal as Grimgor show mercy?
The Grimgor miniature is literally holding a severed human head.... and you're telling me it's not lame that he didn't claim Archaon's head given the chance?

It was just a terrible example of plot armor and poor writing. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Remus Prime said:

I’m suspicious.  The Witch Hunter and Excelsior Warpriest missing from Cities of Sigmar.  The Order of Azyr is pretty present in the fluff of the AoS Black Library I’ve read.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but there could be a new mortal based Azyr army hiding somewhere ready to come out with this “rules for fighting in Azyr” expansion.  Maybe just wishful thinking!

The book pretty much only covers cities in Gyran & Aqshy, leaving plenty more options open to come I reckon.