With Cities of Sigmar now a thing, what Made to Order runs do you want?

Kyriakin

38 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Was made to order the last chance to buy? If not:

as answer to your question: Dreadspears/Darkshards, Chariots but certainly not the Drakespawn knights

Do you mean the old versions of those units? 'Cause all of those kits are still in production.

As for me, it'd be the old empire engineers (even the mechanical steed one) or the old bright mage, I mean just look at this madman!

abempfirewizard.jpg

• Like 2

I have been looking for two cheap plastic Empire Knights to get my eight strong unit of the old Knights of the Blazing Sun models up to ten for use in a fun mixed order army. Being plastic I think getting lucky and finding a good price on some second hand ones will be where it is at.

6 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Honourable mention: Metal Corsairs would be cool to use as Anvilguard Black Guard or Executioners (the old metal Corsair Musician was badass).

That one corsair champion might be the best dark elf model ever made. You can practically see him gazing over a sacked village on a winter morning.

.img43f4bda950938.jpg

I love Kislev but frankly the range was pretty mixed in quality. The Kossars were cool, Tzar Boris was brilliant but stuff like the winged lancers were better in concept and design than in execution.

Otherwise... these Empire captains were great. Even got two-handed weapons, would fit right in as Freeguild Generals, both are better and more characterful models than the current plastic one.

719c072a49f86c76663e72974789a8fb.jpg

1c1a147d9aa90a6dd0c6043f23b963ca.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'd love to get a few of the older wood elf models. Ariel, Orion, some of the lords, like the one on a giant stag.

For empire models the engineer on mechanical horse would be awesome, as would the old halflings (I picked up the hot pot the other month, so there is precedent for that!)

I'd love to get a lot of the older dwarven thane models, and some of their classic engineers, but most of all I would love Malakai Makaisson's Gobline Hewer, its such an awesome model, and such a classic element of the dwarfs lore!

Really the sky is the limit when it comes to old dwarf models. They are such a characterful range, that everything looks cool.

And on the non Order front I'm of course still waiting for them to do Ushabti, so that I can grab a few more of them for my Tomb Kings.

• Like 1

I am not sure if they have done a Made-to-order plastic release yet, but the old Fanatics kit. It had some great bits in it for converting, like the snotlings, mushrooms, potions, and a squig. I only ever got one of those boxes, but it provided my 40k Warboss an attack squig, as well as a wealth of objectives for my AoS Grots. Also that 8th edition goblin shaman I never got a hold of before being discontinued.

Thought a bit more about this - and aside from the entirey of Kislev, I think a few choice selections from Dogs of War could be a ton of fun.

Lumpin Croop's Fighting ****** & the Halfling Hotpot

This would sell like Mootcakes. Being able to build a halfling Cities of Sigmar army would be so much fun for people.

Lumpin.png.f9e4720342cc864c1c7be792c3087613.png

Long Drong's Slayer Pirates

4N9fdB2.png.1a760dbd8290cbd26681b1af3222aff6.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

Did Lumpin Croop's fighting ****** get caught in the swear filter?

EDIT: oh my giddy aunt it did, hilarious!

I used to frequent English football (soccer) forums, and "Scunthorpe United" always got hit.

Edit: But not here though, apparently.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

If they had the old 7th edition exectutioners, the ones without the stupid skull masks, I would buy tonnes of them. Probably my favourite models from when I played as a kid that I then ruined and lost :(

I have three of these I believe. Dipped my toe into dark elves a long time ago and never really got going with them. 

I am liking the fact that they are 65% chainmail. Talk about an easy unit to paint...

img45c5baf5e7f22.jpg

Also, the Dark Elf troops are one of the few examples where it isn't a forgone conclusion for me that I prefer the current line (Diazettes are the other that come to mind). I mean, look at these guys and the Corsairs above - they're awesome. Mounts and monsters? Sure, I'll take the plastic, but for troops I'm not so sure. Either way, these could be great stand-ins for something else (e.g. Greatswords) in a Dark Elf themed army.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

I am liking the fact that they are 65% chainmail. Talk about an easy unit to paint...

Beautiful models....but the downside is the separate swords which need to be individually pinned on (and will nonetheless break).

32 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

img45c5baf5e7f22.jpg

Also, the Dark Elf troops are one of the few examples where it isn't a forgone conclusion for me that I prefer the current line (Diazettes are the other that come to mind). I mean, look at these guys and the Corsairs above - they're awesome. Mounts and monsters? Sure, I'll take the plastic, but for troops I'm not so sure. Either way, these could be great stand-ins for something else (e.g. Greatswords) in a Dark Elf themed army.

IMO the corsairs, black guard, and executioners are all clearly better than the plastics that would follow. I actually like the riders for the dark riders and cold one knights better than the plastics, but its no contest with mounts factored in.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, Kyriakin said:

I can sum up my feelings in four words:

Kislev. All of them.

Honourable mention: Metal Corsairs would be cool to use as Anvilguard Black Guard or Executioners (the old metal Corsair Musician was badass).

Untitled.png

I lucked out and found a lot of ~12 metal corsairs on EBay awhile back and won the auction for $1. The models look amazing, I was really shocked no one else bid on them. I'll work them in some how!

I want Kislev, some of the old empire engineers, and metal dark elves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobeau said:

I lucked out and found a lot of ~12 metal corsairs on EBay awhile back and won the auction for $1. The models look amazing, I was really shocked no one else bid on them. I'll work them in some how!

I want Kislev, some of the old empire engineers, and metal dark elves.

Ebay can be very touch and go in my experience. Contested auctions can become crazy, but there is a lot of stuff just waiting for someone to "buy it now", and when you get an uncontested auction there can be some very good deals. I think sometimes we (and sellers" assume that because things are rare, that means that there will be more of a demand for them than there actually is. All the sellers with super rare stuff keep listing it at insane prices, but i've not seen much evidence that anyone actually pays those prices, at least not often. If you plan your budget accordingly, it can be fairly easy to get oop models. I'd say that they can be as cheap as building an equivalent new army if you play your cards right, although the scale of the models will obviously be smaller, even if you are paying the same price as the newer, bigger version!

18 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Ebay can be very touch and go in my experience. Contested auctions can become crazy, but there is a lot of stuff just waiting for someone to "buy it now", and when you get an uncontested auction there can be some very good deals. I think sometimes we (and sellers" assume that because things are rare, that means that there will be more of a demand for them than there actually is. All the sellers with super rare stuff keep listing it at insane prices, but i've not seen much evidence that anyone actually pays those prices, at least not often. If you plan your budget accordingly, it can be fairly easy to get oop models. I'd say that they can be as cheap as building an equivalent new army if you play your cards right, although the scale of the models will obviously be smaller, even if you are paying the same price as the newer, bigger version!

I've been trying to get a box, or just 10 Freeguild Archers (Empire Archers/Huntsmen), but that has not yet resulted in success for a reasonable price. Not that I really need them, as I still have about 30 bretons I have no plan for, but still, I really like that set.

6 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I've been trying to get a box, or just 10 Freeguild Archers (Empire Archers/Huntsmen), but that has not yet resulted in success for a reasonable price. Not that I really need them, as I still have about 30 bretons I have no plan for, but still, I really like that set.

Yeah, that one will be tough. Unbuilt plastics are much harder to find, and right now there are bound to be loads of Empire enthusiasts trying to track some down.

Back when Tomb Kings were discontinued I was in the same position of trying to find a box of Tomb Guard. I had a set with swords, but wanted to have both weapon options going forwards. I couldn't find a new kit at a reasonable price, and couldn't find any already built ones with the right weapons. In the end I had to get some with a mix, and take them apart and rebuild them using my spares. It cost more than I would have liked, but I was willing to splash out a bit to make my army apocalypse proof.

You might see sets of empire archers come down in price a bit once the chaos of the squatting blows over, but finding unused sprues gets harder the longer you go on.

When I wrote my first post I was mainly thinking about older metal models, which tend to be easier to get in good condition. So long as all the pieces are there, they can fairly readily be stripped, or rebuilt and repaired. Plastics don't hold up as well, and the more affordable ones tend to have been assembled by drunk chimpanzees who had no idea how a model was supposed to go together.

I have some high elf spearmen who came with something, and they so wonky and badly painted that I've never quite been able to bring myself to do anything with them. I forget what else I got in that bundle, but the High elves certainly didn't add anything to its value.

Conversely I've had great luck putting together 90's era chaos dwarf and lizardmen armies. Most of the models are metal, with just a few fairly monopose plastics. The bigger warmachines and beasts were a bit pricey, but I bided my time and got a few good deals on them. I've also been able to collect all the different coloured battlemages, which was a much easier project, since it was all character models, and so it was just a case of finding affordable offers where the staffs were either intact or repairable. Trying to get multi part plastic kits though is always going to be more of a challenge, unless they are something like old battle line troops which were just sold in such numbers for such a long time that unused sprues still circulate.

50 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, that one will be tough. Unbuilt plastics are much harder to find, and right now there are bound to be loads of Empire enthusiasts trying to track some down.

Back when Tomb Kings were discontinued I was in the same position of trying to find a box of Tomb Guard. I had a set with swords, but wanted to have both weapon options going forwards. I couldn't find a new kit at a reasonable price, and couldn't find any already built ones with the right weapons. In the end I had to get some with a mix, and take them apart and rebuild them using my spares. It cost more than I would have liked, but I was willing to splash out a bit to make my army apocalypse proof.

You might see sets of empire archers come down in price a bit once the chaos of the squatting blows over, but finding unused sprues gets harder the longer you go on.

When I wrote my first post I was mainly thinking about older metal models, which tend to be easier to get in good condition. So long as all the pieces are there, they can fairly readily be stripped, or rebuilt and repaired. Plastics don't hold up as well, and the more affordable ones tend to have been assembled by drunk chimpanzees who had no idea how a model was supposed to go together.

I have some high elf spearmen who came with something, and they so wonky and badly painted that I've never quite been able to bring myself to do anything with them. I forget what else I got in that bundle, but the High elves certainly didn't add anything to its value.

Conversely I've had great luck putting together 90's era chaos dwarf and lizardmen armies. Most of the models are metal, with just a few fairly monopose plastics. The bigger warmachines and beasts were a bit pricey, but I bided my time and got a few good deals on them. I've also been able to collect all the different coloured battlemages, which was a much easier project, since it was all character models, and so it was just a case of finding affordable offers where the staffs were either intact or repairable. Trying to get multi part plastic kits though is always going to be more of a challenge, unless they are something like old battle line troops which were just sold in such numbers for such a long time that unused sprues still circulate.

Getting any Archers to me is not yet possible under some $80.

I think I'm just going to invest in more greenstuff to change my bretonnian archer bodies to be more like the empire archers.

• Like 1