Is "Add damage to Each hit/crit" to strong?

Maddpainting

Q: Some rules add to or subtract from the damage points allocated by each hit or critical hit from an attack action. In cases like this, does this apply to every hit and every critical hit scored by that attack action?
A: Yes.

EDIT: they changed the abilities to QUADS, as someone showed me (I see that part for some reason, Mobile reading is hard for me), is that to good still?

Edited by Maddpainting

I don't mind it as much if that's all the quad does.

I have a serious issue with those that interpret the "Sneaky Stab" Gloomspite quad as adding to each hit/crit. Note that their ability does not include the word each, so I don't believe it is intended to add to each.

It would be beyond broken if it did add to each as it already allows a bonus move and a bonus attack. Adding to each would effectively make it the equivalent of the universal quad combined with the other "add to each" quads.

I would absolutely refuse to play with someone insisting on an "add to each" Sneaky Stab.

• 3 weeks later...

The alternative is that it’s just Rampage +d6 damage. Bit lame for the only faction quad. Sometimes it’d  just be Rampage +1 damage big whoop.  If that were the case I’d rather they just give Gitz a different quad entirely. 

Not saying you’re wrong just that both interpretations have their ****** sides imo. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, Xeperi said:

The alternative is that it’s just Rampage +d6 damage. Bit lame for the only faction quad. Sometimes it’d  just be Rampage +1 damage big whoop.  If that were the case I’d rather they just give Gitz a different quad entirely. 

Note that most Faction [Quad] abilities are just a buffed Rampage. Corvus Cabal get +1S if they moved down a floor. Daughters of Khaine get +1S if they moved 6" or more. Flesh-Eater Courts get +1A if they're within 1" of a friendly. Cypher Lords get to fly on that move.

Gloomspite Gitz getting to add (value) to the overall damage – i.e. +1 to +6 – would be totally in line with these buffs.

Gloomspite Gitz getting to add (value x attacks) to the overall damage – i.e. +5-+36 – would be absolutely insane.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:31 PM, Pickle The Hutt said:

Exactly. I have to believe that the word "each" was specifically left off for this reason as it's well beyond anything that any other quad provides otherwise.

Another note: there are three other abilities in the game that use the "add damage equal to the value of this ability" phrasing. Two are also [Quads], one is a [Triple].

• Stormcast Eternals: Aimed Strike specifies "to each hit or critical hit", and works across an entire activation. However, it is also locked to the Longstrike Crossbow, which only has one attack to begin with. It also doesn't give a bonus attack or bonus move, which means the intended use is for you to use the ability, shoot your Longstrike Crossbow twice, and deal up to (Value x 2) extra damage. +2-12 damage out to 20" range, assuming both attacks hit.
  • Splintered Fang: Paralysing Venom specifies "to critical hits", which is less clear, but certainly suggests it triggers on every critical hit. It also works across the whole activation. However, it doesn't give a bonus move or attack, and the warband doesn't have any (real) ranged attacks to begin with. This means the intended use is for you to already be within attack range, use this ability, and attack twice. The fighters in the warband have 3-4 Attacks (snakes aside...) meaning you'll average 1-1.33 critical hits per activation, and deal an average of (Value) or (Value x 1.33) extra damage - with the potential for a lucky break. This is less than the Stormcast Eternals, and harder to get into position for - but it has a secondary "paralysing" effect, and can potentially swing much higher if you're lucky.
  • Daughters of Khaine: Heartseekers adds the damage "to each critical hit" and works across an entire activation. However, it is locked to the Melusai Blood Stalker, who has 2 attacks. This means she's actually dealing an average of (Value/3) extra damage per attack action.

Frankly, Gloomspite Gitz getting (Value) extra damage on top of a full [Quad] ability is already very strong - but hopefully this comparison demonstrates that (Value x Attacks) would be beyond the pale even without the bonus move/action you also get from Sneaky Stab.

Edited by Revlid
  • Like 1