Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

So, decided to redo my Darkshard/Executioner alpha strike list I posted on the main CoS thread.

I was thinking about more or less the same thing, only with sorceress and blackguard instead of phoenix temple part. Less durability, but a lot more speed, plus extra caster. Yours might be better, though, i'm not sure how much I gain with speed buff alone.

34 minutes ago, dekay said:

I was thinking about more or less the same thing, only with sorceress and blackguard instead of phoenix temple part. Less durability, but a lot more speed, plus extra caster. Yours might be better, though, i'm not sure how much I gain with speed buff alone.

Initially that was the idea, but they were needed as more of a CC hammer to offset the Darkshard shooting. With such a high committal to the Pistoliers, I needed less of a hammer and more of an anvil. Not that they can't do both incredibly well.

My previous setup had a Ghur Bmage as well for the +2 run\charge.. so if you're running that setup with Blackguard, you may want to fit that in (or Cogs) to get them going up the board quickly. The only problem here is I can't run and charge the Pistoliers, only retreat, shoot, charge and run + shoot. So T1 could be interesting. Stuff should be built by next week so I'll be looking to get a game in as late as the end of the month to test it out.

2 hours ago, NatBrannigan said:

Quick question. Do the Kharadon units in the Battalion count towards the 1/4 limit for the army? Or does being in the Battalion excuse them from that rule?

Not 100% clear.

Main rules:

WARSCROLL BATTALIONS
A warscroll battalion can include allies. They do not count against the limit on the number of allied units you can include in the army.

And the FAQ for the core rules says:

Q: The rules say that a warscroll battalion can include allies and that they don’t count against the number of allies in the army. Does this rule only apply to battalions that share the same allegiance as the army, but that have units from two different factions (a battalion in a Daughters of Khaine army
that has Daughters of Khaine and Stormcast Eternals units, for example)?

A: Yes. The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of. Warscroll battalions that share the same allegiance as an army can always be taken as part of the army, and if they include any allied units, these units do not count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (or against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle)....

So far so straightforward. The problem is, they're explictly not allies. Tempest's Eye are excluded from taking Kharadron as allies on the last page, and the city allegience traits simply says

A Tempest’s Eye army can include KHARADRON OVERLORDS units. 1 in every 4 units in the army can be a KHARADRON OVERLORDS unit. Those units gain the CITIES OF SIGMAR keyword and the TEMPEST’S EYE keyword

So the precedent of allies in Battalions would say the gunhaulers don't count against your limit, but in the rules as currently written there is no exemption from the limit as the allies exception doesn't apply to the kinda-but-not-really-allies rules in CoS.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the FAQ, and the logical answer is that they don't count against the limit - but that's not what the rules currently say. Run it past your opponent until clarified would be my suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Not 100% clear.

However, as you mentioned, nothing in the rules makes Kharadrons allies to Tempest's Eye. They are, for all intents and purposes, standard units, albeit with limitations when it comes to their number. They're more akin to behemoths and warmachines (units within the faction but limited) than allies... So just to be safe I'd assume that battalion gunhaulers count towards the limit as normal.

What needs  clarification more is if Kharadrons and Stormcasts use the same 1/4 limit or two separate ones (in all likeness separate, but we've seen weirder clarifications before ;))

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dekay said:

What needs  clarification more is if Kharadrons and Stormcasts use the same 1/4 limit or two separate ones (in all likeness separate, but we've seen weirder clarifications before ;))

Yeah, being able to have 1/4 CoS warscrolls, 1/4 stormcast, 1/4 kharadron and 1/4 conventional allies - with 3/4 being able to use CoS rules - seems suspiciously flexible. I'm avoiding any significant purchases on that front for now as there's definitely the possibility that could get tightened up given past behaviour.

Edited by Arkhanist

I

8 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

Yeah, being able to have 1/4 CoS warscrolls, 1/4 stormcast, 1/4 kharadron and 1/4 conventional allies - with 3/4 being able to use CoS rules - seems suspiciously flexible. I'm avoiding any significant purchases on that front for now as there's definitely the possibility that could get tightened up given past behaviour.

I mean, that's how it works in Azyr and that's how it works in the rules currently. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed that in a future errata, but it's most certainly doable atm. They'd need to change the rules to make it done any other way- something like "You must have 3 units with the cities keyword built-in already in your list before you can add a stormcast and an overlords unit".

EDIT: Rereading the comment I realize you might mean you know it's possible, but heavily believe they will make it not possible in the future. Which I suppose could be the case, but seeing as they balanced the cities around this I'd expect it would need to be seen as too powerful after players use it for that to happen.

Edited by Drake Arron

16 hours ago, Gwendar said:

So, decided to redo my Darkshard/Executioner alpha strike list I posted on the main CoS thread. I can't take all the credit for this and definitely had some help from certain people, but tried to make something a bit more all-comers and the damage potential out of the Pistoliers absolutely cannot be ignored. A unit of 20 on the charge has shot 80 times which is ~35 damage against a 4+ save on average with the command trait, Hurricanum and Azyros buffs. Hitting them with the +1 attack spell gives 3 attacks each to their melee, turning it into a reasonable threat. Ideally you're wiping a unit on the charge though. PG are there as the hybrid hammer/anvil to hold an objective but can easily take one if needed.

I also briefly considered 20 Dark Riders instead of the PG, but as was pointed out, they likely fair better in Living City to come in off the board edge. 

Hide contents

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Freeguild General on Griffon (320)
- General
- Shield & Runesword
- Trait: Hawk-eyed
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Seerstone Amulet
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Aura of Glory (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
Anointed (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Pistoliers (400)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (100)

Units
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)

Battalions
Aetherguard Windrunners (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

Something that also is interesting, is that the shots in shoot and after charge and charge target need not be the same thing.

If the opponent goes for many squishy roadblck units, you can potentially wipe 3 of the board in a round. I like this list and am building something like it, but with the models I have.

1 hour ago, Drake Arron said:

EDIT: Rereading the comment I realize you might mean you know it's possible, but heavily believe they will make it not possible in the future. Which I suppose could be the case, but seeing as they balanced the cities around this I'd expect it would need to be seen as too powerful after players use it for that to happen.

Well, I wouldn't say *heavily* believe it'll get reversed, just that I'm being cautious. The setup in Azyr and any reasonable reading of the rules is that's how it works currently; it's not written explicitly that you can stack the 1 in 4, but the interaction of the rules is pretty clear. I'm just a bit cynical; too many times I've seen a literal, reasonable and logical interpretation of rules that is uncontroversial be slapped down by GW in a FAQ, going 'of course that's not what it meant, it's this total other interpretation!' - and then for a near identically worded rule in another book and FAQ then ruling the other way. Admittedly most of that experience is in 40k, but I get the feeling from the whole allied battalions mess that it's not unknown in AoS. I guess it's better than when we didn't get FAQs at all and we had to live with sloppy or outright broken units and rules for years at a time, but a little consistency - or tighter rule writing in the first place - would be nice.

In other words, I treat the initial release of a book as a beta, and wait until the FAQ/errata before spending significant money on new toys, just in case...

• Like 1

Another approach:

Spoiler

Sorceress (90)
- General
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Celestial Visions (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Celestial Visions (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Battlemage on Griffon (300)
Knight-Azyros (100)
30 x Black Guard (420)
30 x Darkshards (300)
10 x Bleakswords (90)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
15 x Freeguild Pistoliers (300)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 139

One of those batalion-less lists. I don't like not having an extra artifact and reduced drop number but well. It might work anyway. 

Flying hurricanum is here to keep up with everything else, but honestly I'm not entirely certain if it's worth my only artifact slot. However, It would be a perfect use for a skycutter model...

Infantry blobs up and marches forward, sorceresses burn their retinue to get extra command points - this gives blackguard reasonable chance of 1st turn charge and darkshards guaranteed targets. everything is being kept close to maximise aura effectiveness. Pistoliers just rush forward, possibly buffed by wildform. They are also a secondary target [after blackguard] for aura of glory.

Blackguard don't really need a hurricanum aura to operate, so they can run forward freely.

With that many drop there's of course a high risk I'm not getting the first turn [except for situations where opponent clearly underetimates this army's speed], but well, darkshards and bleakswords have secondary role of being meatshields if necessary.

Opinions, fellow citizens?

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Something that also is interesting, is that the shots in shoot and after charge and charge target need not be the same thing.

If the opponent goes for many squishy roadblck units, you can potentially wipe 3 of the board in a round. I like this list and am building something like it, but with the models I have.

True, but I think shooting 1 unit off, then charging and shooting off another and then still being in range to pile in 3" to another unit and hit with mediocre melee attacks (and now potentially out of range of the Hurricanum and Aura of Glory buff) may put me in a bad position and not likely to occur. I don't have a lot of players putting chaff blocks right behind\that close to each other. I think when it comes to squishy roadblocks (Marauders, Skinks, etc) then the units of 5 would likely go in first as they are great chaff clearers and assess what needs to be done. The unit of 20 is the real hammer of the list and would prefer going after other hammers or breaking defensive blocks on an objective.

That said, shooting a screen with the 20, then charging and shooting the noteworthy unit behind it is totally viable, but all buffs considered you're looking at a good chunk of less damage without all 80 shots going into the scary unit and these guys really don't like getting hit back. A CP will always need to be on hand as that 5 Bravery is abysmal and I can't afford BS tests with them.

4 hours ago, dekay said:

Opinions, fellow citizens?

I like where you're going with it, sort of a hybrid of what I initially went with and ended up changing it to. I agree in not liking the high drop count, nor the missing artifact simply because I think you really need CP here. You have an Adjutant whereas I didn't so I could get away with just having Seerstone Amulet... but I also had an extra CP from the Battalion and bought another for 3 minimum on T1. I felt I needed that as I was having the Sorceress use her CA twice to make both Executioners\Black Guard and the Darkshards run + charge\shoot respectively. I then needed at least a 3rd to potentially auto-run one of them for maximum threat range. That would leave me burnt out so hopefully the spell or Amulet would have given me another to use for another auto-run or something else.

I just ended up making something that didn't need such a crazy amount of CP and the buffs were more self-contained on the units themselves than from CA's. Of course you're also bringing the spell so you may well be fine on CP.. I tend to overestimate how much I need sometimes and just like being 110% sure I'm covered in the event things go fubar 😉

54 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I think you really need CP here.

I hope dual celestial visions with +2 to cast will be enough, but yeah, swapping the cloak for the seerstone might be necessary if it's not enough. Slower hurricanum would need to suffice.

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

True, but I think shooting 1 unit off, then charging and shooting off another and then still being in range to pile in 3" to another unit and hit with mediocre melee attacks (and now potentially out of range of the Hurricanum and Aura of Glory buff) may put me in a bad position and not likely to occur. I don't have a lot of players putting chaff blocks right behind\that close to each other. I think when it comes to squishy roadblocks (Marauders, Skinks, etc) then the units of 5 would likely go in first as they are great chaff clearers and assess what needs to be done. The unit of 20 is the real hammer of the list and would prefer going after other hammers or breaking defensive blocks on an objective.

That said, shooting a screen with the 20, then charging and shooting the noteworthy unit behind it is totally viable, but all buffs considered you're looking at a good chunk of less damage without all 80 shots going into the scary unit and these guys really don't like getting hit back. A CP will always need to be on hand as that 5 Bravery is abysmal and I can't afford BS tests with them.

I was referring to shooting something else in after the charge, indeed.

If you're charging into something, and it only needs very few wounds to kill, (enough that the melee attacks would manage, for instance), shooting it could be wasted potential. As for battleshock, I wanted to use the Patriciers helm on the General on Griffin, but do keep in mind that Pistoleers get to "fight" two times before any "fight first" mechanic appear, loosing 40 shots into the opponent before the opponent can start trying to deal damage. As for receiving, they'll only lose models after they receive their model count in wounds, being two wound units.

5 model units can be chaff clearers, but they can also loose into the unit the 20 stack is charging ionto to soften it up. Having those shots gives you a ton of versatility.

Man, I really want more pistoleers.

26 minutes ago, dekay said:

I hope dual celestial visions with +2 to cast will be enough, but yeah, swapping the cloak for the seerstone might be necessary if it's not enough. Slower hurricanum would need to suffice.

Well, remember you can only attempt to cast 1 per turn so it's good to have redundancy if you end up depending on it. Honestly with the 13" move the Hurricanum gets on T1 and the 10" aura (remember it's models within, not wholly within) you should be good.

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I was referring to shooting something else in after the charge, indeed.

If you're charging into something, and it only needs very few wounds to kill, (enough that the melee attacks would manage, for instance), shooting it could be wasted potential. As for battleshock, I wanted to use the Patriciers helm on the General on Griffin, but do keep in mind that Pistoleers get to "fight" two times before any "fight first" mechanic appear, loosing 40 shots into the opponent before the opponent can start trying to deal damage. As for receiving, they'll only lose models after they receive their model count in wounds, being two wound units.

5 model units can be chaff clearers, but they can also loose into the unit the 20 stack is charging ionto to soften it up. Having those shots gives you a ton of versatility.

Man, I really want more pistoleers.

Yep, their damage potential doesn't have me worrying; they're meant to be a 1-shot kill unit and then move onto the next one. I was just saying if I'm throwing them at 20-30 Hearthguard and can only make 40 shots instead of 80 (by clearing a chaff unit in front of them), I likely won't charge them into that mess. Units like that can slaughter them even with only a few models. But all that is standard variables that I'll obviously deal with on the table... I'm not always great at assessing threats in a vacuum\on paper and that can only be done during the game.

But yeah, all good points and is why I'm really loving this build.... It'll take some practice and trying a lot of stuff to see what works. Still really curious to give Dark Riders a shot one day over the PG, but I think there's enough mobility here without them and they do far better in Living City with their ability to shoot, then move 14" and take an objective.

I'm thinking of trying something fun using the available synergies. General is a Knight Azyros with the Zephyrite Banner and Aetherguard Captain. Nearby are a group of endrinriggers with a chemist nearby turn 1. Can't be retinue unfortunately, so not sure how to handle that. 

Is there any viability to using this group as a heavy alpha strike? Idk the odds based on deployment, but 15" move with a refillable +1 charge is pretty decent. Then maybe add a mage for +1 attack or pistoleers/outsiders to enjoy the +1 to hit. 

Is this viable at all, or just for being silly in games?

Edited by Fotta

20 minutes ago, Fotta said:

I'm thinking of trying something fun using the available synergies. General is a Knight Azyros with the Zephyrite Banner and Aetherguard Captain. Nearby are a group of endrinriggers with a chemist nearby turn 1. Can't be retinue unfortunately, so not sure how to handle that. 

Is there any viability to using this group as a heavy alpha strike? Idk the odds based on deployment, but 15" move with a refillable +1 charge is pretty decent. Then maybe add a mage for +1 attack or pistoleers/outsiders to enjoy the +1 to hit. 

Is this viable at all, or just for being silly in games?

So I'm also very into the idea of an alpha strike list - I think people are sleeping on its potential in favor of shooting-heavy lists (which will probably also be good, don't get me wrong). But the extra movement on turn 1, along with Swift as the Wind letting your general run and charge and always strike first, does grant some serious alpha strike potential to Tempest's Eye.

I also considered Endrinriggers, but wound up going in a different direction - mostly because the idea of an all-cavalry super alpha strike army is my kind of silly fun, and because I love the Stardrake model and would love to have an excuse to use it in games. I'm imagining the following:

-----

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Swift as the Wind
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Freeguild General on Griffon (320)
- Shield & Lance
- Artefact: Smouldering Helm

Battleline

Units
4 x Concussors (480)

Battalions
Aetherguard Windrunners (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 99

-----

A Stardrake running 17-22 then charging turn 1, with a 2+ save re-rolling 1s on the first battle round, plus permanent always strikes first, is something your opponent just can't ignore. And it's low enough drops (3) that you'll probably be able to go second and hope for the double, allowing you to (potentially) retreat and charge again with whatever made it in turn 1. And if the General makes it in turn 1, he's reflecting mortal wounds on a 4+ (5+ after that) with the Smouldering Helm. Now that's my kind of dumb fun.

Is it good? Eh, probably not. But I kind of want to build it anyway.

• Like 2

I have been thinking a lot about tempest eye, and the potential for movement shenanigans.
This is what i found:

- First turn +3 Move
- Always +1 Run
- Chronomatic Cogs +2 move/charge
- Mucisians +1 run/charge
- Wildform (Ghur Battlemage) +2 run/charge
- Command Trait +1 to Charge rolls for units wholly within 12.
- Command Ability: Rapid Redeploy (run and shoot)
- Command Ability Sorcerers
- Artificat: Re-roll Charges wholly within 12" of bearer

Now, this leaves us with a few choices.
Black guard can suddenly move 11" run 5"-10" and then charge 7"-17", re-rolling the charge. for a total of 23"-38" threat range.

But black guard can only get +1 attack from hand of Glory, and +1 to hit from nearby sorceress. Since the sorceress needs to keep up, she needs to be on a dragon. No problem normally, because you can then take a sorceress on foot and take some darkspears as support, shadow warriors for remote objectives, and scourgerunners for harassament. But i want Gotrek, and feel that a dragon is too expensive, and also that i need multiple threats to make sure Gotrek makes it to its destination. I do think that if you are not running Gotrek, the Dark Elves do this tactic better due to the sorceress command ability.

Enter Hammerers and Iron Drakes. For this setup, i will not use the Command Trait for +1 to charge, but rather use the Hawk Eyed trait.

Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
Warden King (110)
Runelord (90)
- General
- Trait: Hawk-eyed
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Aura of Glory (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Celestial Visions (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
30 x Hammerers (360)
10 x Darkshards (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1790 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 88

This list has the following Idea

Irondrakes in the middle, gotrek on one side of the irondrakes, Hammers on the other side. Runelord, Sorceress, and Battle Mage need to linger between the hammerers and Irondrakes to provide the buffs.
I can no longer run and charge, but i now don't have just 1 threat that moves up the board. There is now 3 really hard hitting units that the opponnent has to think about.

Sorceress sacrifices the darkspears to cast cogs on a 5+
Hammerers will gain Wildform from the battle mage and runs (thus move 13+D6).
Irondrakes get Rapid Deploy Command ability (thus moves 9+D6 for a total of 25+d6" threat range).
Gotrek will run aswell for 6" + D6

in Turn 1 this means the Irondrakes will most likely light up their first target with 1 shot each, -2 Rend (from runelord), and 2+ to wound (hawk eyed).
in turn 2, the Irondrakes can stand still, and shoot twice! 
in turn 2, the Hammerers can charge (13"-23" threat range), and gain Warden King Command Ability, Aura of Glory, for 4/3+/3+/1 each.

Gotrek will either be able to just charge, or not charge in until turn 3, that depends how aggressive combat units have been towards the Irondrakes.

I still have 210 points left. I can either demote the darkspears to bleaksword, and add the Celestial Hurricanum without battle mage. This will provide +1 to cast on the sorceress, and +1 to hit on Irondrakes and Hammeres if i place it right. Making both units a lot deadlier, and casting cogs on 4+! However, i can also add in 2-3 Gyrocopters or scourgerunnners, endrinriggers, or shadow warriors for some harassment and remote objective scoring.

What do you all think?
I personally think that Tempest Eye is very interesting and that you can build some fun stuff with this city!

Edited by Knight of Ruin

I think Pistoleers, Outriders or Dark Riders are also tempting objective grabbers, a few bodies more than scourgerunners, 16" is enough to find some lightly armoured targets (though the 9" for pistoleers is quite short) and the 4+ save isn't bad for dark riders (Outriders have 5+, but also rend).

5 hours ago, Knight of Ruin said:

I have been thinking a lot about tempest eye, and the potential for movement shenanigans.
This is what i found:

- First turn +3 Move
- Always +1 Run
- Chronomatic Cogs +2 move/charge
- Mucisians +1 run/charge
- Wildform (Ghur Battlemage) +2 run/charge
- Command Trait +1 to Charge rolls for units wholly within 12.
- Command Ability: Rapid Redeploy (run and shoot)
- Command Ability Sorcerers
- Artificat: Re-roll Charges wholly within 12" of bearer

Now, this leaves us with a few choices.
Black guard can suddenly move 11" run 5"-10" and then charge 7"-17", re-rolling the charge. for a total of 23"-38" threat range.

But black guard can only get +1 attack from hand of Glory, and +1 to hit from nearby sorceress. Since the sorceress needs to keep up, she needs to be on a dragon. No problem normally, because you can then take a sorceress on foot and take some darkspears as support, shadow warriors for remote objectives, and scourgerunners for harassament. But i want Gotrek, and feel that a dragon is too expensive, and also that i need multiple threats to make sure Gotrek makes it to its destination. I do think that if you are not running Gotrek, the Dark Elves do this tactic better due to the sorceress command ability.

Enter Hammerers and Iron Drakes. For this setup, i will not use the Command Trait for +1 to charge, but rather use the Hawk Eyed trait.

Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
Warden King (110)
Runelord (90)
- General
- Trait: Hawk-eyed
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Aura of Glory (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Eagles - Celestial Visions (Tempest's Eye Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
30 x Hammerers (360)
10 x Darkshards (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1790 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 520 / 400
Wounds: 88

This list has the following Idea

Irondrakes in the middle, gotrek on one side of the irondrakes, Hammers on the other side. Runelord, Sorceress, and Battle Mage need to linger between the hammerers and Irondrakes to provide the buffs.
I can no longer run and charge, but i now don't have just 1 threat that moves up the board. There is now 3 really hard hitting units that the opponnent has to think about.

Sorceress sacrifices the darkspears to cast cogs on a 5+
Hammerers will gain Wildform from the battle mage and runs (thus move 13+D6).
Irondrakes get Rapid Deploy Command ability (thus moves 9+D6 for a total of 25+d6" threat range).
Gotrek will run aswell for 6" + D6

in Turn 1 this means the Irondrakes will most likely light up their first target with 1 shot each, -2 Rend (from runelord), and 2+ to wound (hawk eyed).
in turn 2, the Irondrakes can stand still, and shoot twice! 
in turn 2, the Hammerers can charge (13"-23" threat range), and gain Warden King Command Ability, Aura of Glory, for 4/3+/3+/1 each.

Gotrek will either be able to just charge, or not charge in until turn 3, that depends how aggressive combat units have been towards the Irondrakes.

I still have 210 points left. I can either demote the darkspears to bleaksword, and add the Celestial Hurricanum without battle mage. This will provide +1 to cast on the sorceress, and +1 to hit on Irondrakes and Hammeres if i place it right. Making both units a lot deadlier, and casting cogs on 4+! However, i can also add in 2-3 Gyrocopters or scourgerunnners, endrinriggers, or shadow warriors for some harassment and remote objective scoring.

What do you all think?
I personally think that Tempest Eye is very interesting and that you can build some fun stuff with this city!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking of a big unit of hammerers, irondrakes (+king&runelord) and hurricanum to have a badass heavy infantry force push hard up the board 1st round to murder from the centre! It might not be as effective as a cavalry/monster list, but I have dwarves and freeguild models already, not elves and monsters...

I'm not *entirely* convinced there's really room for Gotrek in a 2000 point list, but its definitely a  fun idea. Sorceress + cheap sacrificial darkling unit feels kinda dirty in a dwarf list, but is a decent way to get off cogs or soulscream bridge. The latter is tempting to just bounce the irondrakes and/or hammerers forward in one go - and the drakes can fire twice on the first turn without needing Rapid Deploy either.

Hurricanum doesn't buff the sorceress +1 to cast though, only collegiate arcane wizards alas IIRC.

Edited by Arkhanist
typo
  • Like 1

If the hurricanum doesn't buff the sorceress, i would replace the sorceres + chaff for the hurricanum with battlemage to cast cogs on a 6+.

I don't think Gotrek is competitive with Cities. Seraphon provides skinks for hordes, that can also be resummoned, and the synergy is just generally easier to provide in Seraphon lists than in Cities. That said, i love Gotrek, i dislike Seraphon gameplay (mostly the summoning) and the hidiously old models. Cities can also branch out in Kharadron Overlords and SCE, something i have always wanted, but never wanted to start with a large force immediatly. Cities allows me to dip my toes :)

Refined my 1K list as I realized I needed more bodies to cover objectives so I dropped my second Steam Tank and grabbed some Ironbreakers and a Battlemage. My thinking is that the WK, RL, IBs,& Hammers make one massive attacking wedge while the Steam Tank runs interference/distraction. The two lines of Handgunners protect the Mage and back field objectives, while their Marksmen snipe enemy heroes. No one is going to want to charge those HG's with the Shield of Thorns spell behind it. Super competitive, not really, but fun at 1K if I deploy properly and focus on board & objective control.

Warden King (110)
- General
- Artefact: Seerstone Amulet
Runelord (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
Battlemage (90)
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
10 x Hammerers (140)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Ironbreakers (130)
Steam Tank (200)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Total: 1000 
Wounds: 67

Edited by Televiper11

13 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

How good do people think the Gunhaulers would be in the batallion? Retreating and shooting sounds like a good thing, but I am unsure how it will work out.

From a KO perspective there is basically always something better to spend the points on. They are quite fragile but should work as roadblock which you retreat again, so being able to shoot them is definitely a good skill. 

but it’s the one shot on a 4+. That’s just so unreliable for the points. And if you decide to use them in such a way so you can drop the ‘pile in last bomb’ as a charge response it’s still a 4+ for it to work. 

I would give it a go because of the point reduction they got made it better. But still... 

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

From a KO perspective there is basically always something better to spend the points on. They are quite fragile but should work as roadblock which you retreat again, so being able to shoot them is definitely a good skill. 

but it’s the one shot on a 4+. That’s just so unreliable for the points. And if you decide to use them in such a way so you can drop the ‘pile in last bomb’ as a charge response it’s still a 4+ for it to work. 

I would give it a go because of the point reduction they got made it better. But still... 

If you're unsure, I won't purchase it for a "maybe it will work". I may end up buying a few Kharadron troops because I like their style, but I'll start with the Underworlds warband to investigate further.

• Like 1