Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

14 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

I like the idea of some handgunners+general, my heroes would in that case be;

Hurricanum

Warden King

Runelord

Freeguild general 

Okay, with a  Warden King and Runelord, Ironbreakers and Longbeards are really make sense as a line that wil hold

Say 3x 10 Handgunners with long rifle, General

30 Longbeards (with Aura of Glory and both Runelord buffs, and Ancestral Grudge, they slap)

2x runelords

Warden king

Hurricanum with Battlemage

3x5 Pistoleers or Outriders (alternatively, 3x gyrocopters and Dark Riders)

23 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

Thanks!

Can you explain why you pick longbeards over hammerers, also should i equip the longbeards with greataxe or shield?

Think i should protect the handgunners with these longbeards or add some freeguild guards?

Points cost mostly, and the Longbeards have a few tricks in their grumbling.

Longbeards with all their buffs have 3/2+/3+(reroll 1)/-2/1

Hammerers with all the buffs have 4/2+/3+/-2/1, but don't give rerolls to other disposessed and cost 40 points more. Kingsguard probably won't matter with a Warden king, though MW's are a good thing to have.

EDIT: Yes, I think these are perfect to protect your Handgunners. If you push the handgunners in the backs of the Longbeards, they can shoot before your opponent reaches the Longbeard line (assuming 1"reach on their side).

With shields, they'll have a better save, but less attack. Whether you want this depends on the opponents and your own playstyle.

Edited by zilberfrid

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Points cost mostly, and the Longbeards have a few tricks in their grumbling.

Longbeards with all their buffs have 3/2+/3+(reroll 1)/-2/1

Hammerers with all the buffs have 4/2+/3+/-2/1, but don't give rerolls to other disposessed and cost 40 points more. Kingsguard probably won't matter with a Warden king, though MW's are a good thing to have.

With shields, they'll have a better save, but less attack. Whether you want this depends on the opponents and your own playstyle.

Ah, so the units of longbeards give the buffs to eachother?

7 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

Ah, so the units of longbeards give the buffs to eachother?

That is how I understand it, yes.

If you want pretty Handgunners, you could look into Skitarii Rangers. The masks make sense in TE because of the altitude and Kharadron connection, and their guns fit AoS better than 40k (in my opinion). They are more expensive though. Similarely Cawdor gives beautiful sculpts in a lower tech, more religious theme (though also more expensive). 

Darkshards and with more work Black Arc Corsairs can also be converted to be Handgunners, (no bow, stick a tube on top of the crossbow).

Handgunners themselves are really, really ugly.

Pistoleers and Outriders look perfectly fine, but if you have lots of money the Sulphurhounds would fit the Skitarii theme very well. I myself consider that, at 3x the price, it's not worth it.

A last option would be to get more Pistoleers, and use the Outrider coats, heads and guns on other legs and arms.

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

That is how I understand it, yes.

If you want pretty Handgunners, you could look into Skitarii Rangers. The masks make sense in TE because of the altitude and Kharadron connection, and their guns fit AoS better than 40k (in my opinion). They are more expensive though. Similarely Cawdor gives beautiful sculpts in a lower tech, more religious theme (though also more expensive). 

Darkshards and with more work Black Arc Corsairs can also be converted to be Handgunners, (no bow, stick a tube on top of the crossbow).

Handgunners themselves are really, really ugly.

Pistoleers and Outriders look perfectly fine, but if you have lots of money the Sulphurhounds would fit the Skitarii theme very well. I myself consider that, at 3x the price, it's not worth it.

A last option would be to get more Pistoleers, and use the Outrider coats, heads and guns on other legs and arms.

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/landsknecht-missile-troops

Thinking about using these as proxy for handgunners.

45 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/landsknecht-missile-troops

Thinking about using these as proxy for handgunners.

Do note that they are quite a bit smaller than GW models (but brilliant, I also have them).

If you keep it to historicals, you can easily make a coherent army though:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknechts-pikemen for guard (try to get some swords and shields) or https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/warlords-of-erehwon/products/dwarf-heavy-infantry for dwarves (they will be slimmer than GW dwarves)

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/thirty-years-war-1618-1648/products/pike-shotte-cavalry-plastic-boxed-set?variant=31469101940816 for your Pistoleers

you could also go really cheap with Perry, https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/war-of-the-roses-1455-1485/products/dark-ages-mercenaries-european-infantry-1450-1500?variant=31468932300880, this has swords and shields in it and still a few guns.

Edited by zilberfrid

33 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Do note that they are quite a bit smaller than GW models (but brilliant, I also have them).

If you keep it to historicals, you can easily make a coherent army though:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknechts-pikemen for guard (try to get some swords and shields) or https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/warlords-of-erehwon/products/dwarf-heavy-infantry for dwarves (they will be slimmer than GW dwarves)

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/thirty-years-war-1618-1648/products/pike-shotte-cavalry-plastic-boxed-set?variant=31469101940816 for your Pistoleers

you could also go really cheap with Perry, https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/war-of-the-roses-1455-1485/products/dark-ages-mercenaries-european-infantry-1450-1500?variant=31468932300880, this has swords and shields in it and still a few guns.

Thanks for the tips but the handgunners is enough for me :) do i need to buy other bases to make them correct for aos?

4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

There are 25mm rounds in the box

Alright i think i got a plan for my 1.5k list.

Hurricanum with battlemage

2x runelords

Warden king

Freeguild General

30 handgunners (3 units of 10)

30 longbeards

3 gyrocopters

The last points i could spend on either 10 shadow warriors or a helblaster volley gun. 

Just now, Icefighter said:

2x runelords

Warden king

Freeguild General

30 longbeards

3 gyrocopters

The last points i could spend on either 10 shadow warriors or a helblaster volley gun. 

Sounds like a fun build!

For the dwarves, just get 3x SC Greywater Fastness, that gives you armoured dwarves (which don't have long beards, but should work), six hero characters and the Gyrocopters. You could easily use the Cogsmiths as Volleygun crew, and all the Ironblasters you have left should be able to make you a nice dwarven looking Volleygun.

22 hours ago, Icefighter said:

2x runelords

Warden king

Freeguild General

30 longbeards

3 gyrocopters

for the price of a box of Shadow Warriors be warned the unit is good, not great.  They would benefit you, and dropping first turn have a 3+ save in cover which is pretty good.  Fight almost as good as Swordmasters and shoot almost as well as SotW.  As a utility unit in your army they will server well but I would recommend something BL to hand back and help with objectives or against Deep Strike units.  ShadowWarriors could be this unit.  Not sure a lone helblaster will do much for you.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

for the price of a box of Shadow Warriors be warned the unit is good, not great.  They would benefit you, and dropping first turn have a 3+ save in cover which is pretty good.  Fight almost as good as Swordmasters and shoot almost as well as SotW.  As a utility unit in your army they will server well but I would recommend something BL to hand back and help with objectives or against Deep Strike units.  ShadowWarriors could be this unit.  Not sure a lone helblaster will do much for you.

It's too bad the Gunhauler is 130pts, it's sort of artillery that functions as shadow warriors for stealing points.

One option would be the Knight Incantor. Ugly, but survivable wizard.

Another is a unit of Thunderers with rifles. Good range, and probably kitbashable from the Cogsmiths and spare guns.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

It's too bad the Gunhauler is 130pts, it's sort of artillery that functions as shadow warriors for stealing points.

One option would be the Knight Incantor. Ugly, but survivable wizard.

Another is a unit of Thunderers with rifles. Good range, and probably kitbashable from the Cogsmiths and spare guns.

Or another 10 unit longbeards?

Btw sinse i go with the longbeards for their buffs, do i go with 3x units of 10? If I go 1 unit of 30 i dont have any units to use them on.

32 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

Or another 10 unit longbeards?

Btw sinse i go with the longbeards for their buffs, do i go with 3x units of 10? If I go 1 unit of 30 i dont have any units to use them on.

Tough to say. The 21st to 30th longbeard are only 40 points, so that's quite the value, bigger groups take buffs better (general buffs 3 handgunners though), and they also buff the heroes.

Maybe Ironbreakers or a second battlemage? (Is already in the Hurricanum set).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my list: it's mostly based on units I have at the moment rather than what would be super competitive, but I think it may kick a butt or two...

Freeguild General with Hawk-eyed and Patrician's Helm

20 Freeguild Guard, sword and shield

20 Handgunners

20 Sisters of the Watch

20 Eternal Guard

10 Phoenix Guard

1 Celestial Hurricanum with wizard

1 Luminark of Hysh with wizard

1 Steam Tank with commander

1980 points.

The idea is to have a pike and shot strategy with the melee infantry standing in a chevron shaped line with the Eternal Guard on the left, the Freeguild Guard with the general in the centre and the Phoenix Guards on the right, supported by the aftershave from the Luminark and no battleshock tests from the Patrician's Helm, while the Sisters (shooting with 2+ and 2+), the gunners and the two magic wagons shoot the enemy. The tank stays in the rear so it can charge any flanking enemies but also shoot the enemy with its long distance weapons so it's not useless if there aren't any flankers. If they stay together almost the entire army should benefit from Hawk-eyed, Patricians Helm, Aura of Protection and Portents of Battle. I got a game coming soon, we'll see if it works...

• 1 month later...

It's surprising to me no TE players have bothered with AoS 3 yet or posted here??   Sad panda.

At any rate I'm thinking along the lines of Wanderers and mixing in a few other things.

I think a Beastmage of Ghur (on Griffon) next to a Hurricanum is a good boost for +2 right now and it solves my problem of MSU vs large units for Sisters of the watch behind a larger units of Eternal Guard.  

Anyone else been playing TE?

I have been looking into Tempest's Eye lists, although I am mainly concentrating on Soulblight right now. I still think TE is a good city for a lot builds. The Irondrakes gunline for example.

I am not 100% on how the Irondrakes combo works, but I know in the past it involved teleporting a bunch of Irondrakes and a Runelord up the table with Soulscream Bridge, so that they can shoot and still get their bonus that turn. There is no reason to do this anymore, since Cities Endless Spells are no longer empowered and you can get +1 to hit very easily in other ways. In Tempest's eye, Irondrakes get +3" movement turn 1. They also get +1 to run rolls and +1 to run on their warscroll. The Ghur mage can now give them +2 more to run reliably. Even on an average run roll of 3, they will move 4"(base)+3"(TE allegiance)+3"(average run roll)+4"(run bonuses)=14" turn 1. And the TE command ability Rapid Redeploy means they still get to shoot. I think Tempest's eye is super good at getting those great infantry units Cities has access to into position.

You can use the same combo for Greatswords. Give the Ghur mage the arcane tome to turn him into a 2 cast wizard and he can even give them +1 attack from Aura of Glory, as well. And Greatswords with an extra attack just kind of destroy anything they touch. You could even call this a budget combo at 300 for 20 Greatswords and 115 for the mage.

I have noticed, though, that points are a bit tighter this time around. I used to run three Steam Tanks as a casual list, which was about a third of my budget and usually still allowed me to run whatever I wanted for the rest of my army. Now, I find myself actually having to make decisions, haha.

Points are sure tight.  Oh boy Sisters of the Watch going up and getting a few nerfs sure baffled me.  What I think is GW really weighs in on MW output as top tier, and,.. if we are seeing 2+ rr1 saves with a save pool of +2/3 that's not totally unfounded...  

Are there some reliable benefits for Sisters of the Watch to get a casting bonus on their spell?  I think a larger block of EG with some save stacking on it could be good but in a lot of settings getting a spell off on a 7+ with no bonuses in the current meta seems near impossible...

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Points are sure tight.  Oh boy Sisters of the Watch going up and getting a few nerfs sure baffled me.  What I think is GW really weighs in on MW output as top tier, and,.. if we are seeing 2+ rr1 saves with a save pool of +2/3 that's not totally unfounded...  

Are there some reliable benefits for Sisters of the Watch to get a casting bonus on their spell?  I think a larger block of EG with some save stacking on it could be good but in a lot of settings getting a spell off on a 7+ with no bonuses in the current meta seems near impossible...

Easiest way to boost sisters of the watch is to stick them next to a stardrake.  Other than that though, there isn't any other way for them to boost their casting, as everything else either specifies wizards, or another sub-set of the cities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 1:25 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have been looking into Tempest's Eye lists, although I am mainly concentrating on Soulblight right now. I still think TE is a good city for a lot builds. The Irondrakes gunline for example.

I am not 100% on how the Irondrakes combo works, but I know in the past it involved teleporting a bunch of Irondrakes and a Runelord up the table with Soulscream Bridge, so that they can shoot and still get their bonus that turn. There is no reason to do this anymore, since Cities Endless Spells are no longer empowered and you can get +1 to hit very easily in other ways. In Tempest's eye, Irondrakes get +3" movement turn 1. They also get +1 to run rolls and +1 to run on their warscroll. The Ghur mage can now give them +2 more to run reliably. Even on an average run roll of 3, they will move 4"(base)+3"(TE allegiance)+3"(average run roll)+4"(run bonuses)=14" turn 1. And the TE command ability Rapid Redeploy means they still get to shoot. I think Tempest's eye is super good at getting those great infantry units Cities has access to into position.

You can use the same combo for Greatswords. Give the Ghur mage the arcane tome to turn him into a 2 cast wizard and he can even give them +1 attack from Aura of Glory, as well. And Greatswords with an extra attack just kind of destroy anything they touch. You could even call this a budget combo at 300 for 20 Greatswords and 115 for the mage.

I have noticed, though, that points are a bit tighter this time around. I used to run three Steam Tanks as a casual list, which was about a third of my budget and usually still allowed me to run whatever I wanted for the rest of my army. Now, I find myself actually having to make decisions, haha.

The bonus that irondrakes get from not moving is an additional missile attack, not +1 to hit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending one reads latest raw for core rules regarding subfactions:

Hero: 190

Assassin - 80: General (HawkEye), BattleBat

Knight Azyros - 110: Adjunct, Artifact (Searstone Amulet or Arcane Tomb (depending how tou read the enhancement raw), VangaurdBat

Battleline: 465

3x Dark Riders - 345 (115); Full Command, VangaurdBat

1x Shadow Warriors - 120: Full Command, Retinue, BattleBat

Other: 345

1x Scourge or Drakespawn Chariot - 80: BattleBat

1x Sisters of the Hunt - 130: Spell (Aura of Glory & Celestial Visions (if I understand how enhancemf works correctly)), BattleBat

1x Grundstok Thunders - 135: 5 man, FullCommand. All w/ Aethershot Rifle, Sarg w/ TwinBarrel, BattleBat

Total 1000

Edited by Arathorn185
Forgot BattleBat on some units