Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

2 hours ago, Griffounet said:

And what if you drop both one pack of 30 ironbreakers and aetherwing to add a Prime ? He smash hard, he is a leader and he can be drop anywhere on the table...

I don't think he would have helped in that particular game. Prime just doesn't do that much for his points cost. If you wait to charge up his mace he will come in too late to have an impact, and if you don't he doesn't do nearly enough damage (especially against Light of Eltharion or Teclis with the ethereal spell).

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

I don't think he would have helped in that particular game. Prime just doesn't do that much for his points cost. If you wait to charge up his mace he will come in too late to have an impact, and if you don't he doesn't do nearly enough damage (especially against Light of Eltharion or Teclis with the ethereal spell).

Not to mention a 9” charge. Such a gamble. Or you put him on the board but that’s just 8 wounds on a 3+ save and no after save 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Oh wow. Never noticed that! That’s amazing! Now I might even add him to the painting pile. 

And it's once per turn. So you can also make an auto save in your opponents turn, and change a dice in your own turn.

• Like 1

Two possible lists:

1x Celestial hurricanumw/battlemage

1x Freeguild general on griffon, general, gawk-eyed

10x arkonauts

1x ironclad

10x pistoliers

10x pistoliers

5xpistoliers

3x gyrocopters

Aetherguard windrunners

Or

1x Celestial hurricanumw/battlemage

1x Freeguild general on griffon, general, gawk-eyed

15x pistoliers

10x pistoliers

10x pistoliers

5x pistoliers

10x outriders

5x outriders

3x gyrocopters

Aetherguard windrunners

Thoughts?  Also, what is the right outrider/pistolier ratio? 3 small squads of copters or the single big one? Certainly in the 2nd list lower drops is nice, 1st list does better if forced to take t1 anyway since you can run up the ironclad and make a nice 2+save wall with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 12:32 AM, Frowny said:

Thoughts?  Also, what is the right outrider/pistolier ratio? 3 small squads of copters or the single big one? Certainly in the 2nd list lower drops is nice, 1st list does better if forced to take t1 anyway since you can run up the ironclad and make a nice 2+save wall with it. 

If you see what's being fielded at tournaments, they generally go 1:2 outrider : pistoliers, and they have very little outside of those, it is a 2-drop list. 

Hello there! When I first though of collecting CoS my idea was to make it Anvilgard, taking into account that most of the models I own were from the dark elf range. Sadly, I realized that the rules of that city kind of suck, and that I could make it work better with Tempest Eye. Reading in this threat, I found a list made by Leemer, that was very simmilar to the one that I created for Anvilgard, so making some adjustments I came up with this list (the one not in spoiler)

Spoiler

Leemer list:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Shield
- Command Trait: Swift as the Wind
- Artefact: Incandescent Rageblade
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Eagles: Aura of Glory
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Celestial Visions
Knight-Azyros (100)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
20 x Darkshards (200)
20 x Executioners (240)

10 x Drakespawn Knights (260)
2 x Concussors (220)
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

My list:

Leaders
Knight-Azyros (100)
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Eagles: Aura of Glory
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Tyrant Shield
- Command Trait: Swift as the Wind

¿Zephyrite banner?
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Celestial Visions

Battleline
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Drakespawn Knights (260)
3 x Drakespawn Chariots (210)

Units
2 x Tempestors (190)
30 x Executioners (300)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

I wanted to use Concussors at the begining, but I would need two command points for the Dreadlord and the Sorceress. But I´m thinking that maybe the Tempestors would be a better choice, as the aura of the Hurricanum is already very crowded, with the tempestors I could also shoot to a enemy unit which could be capable of activate before mine (Dragon strike first and another unit would charge, so for the third activation the idea is to protect that unit with the -1)

For the artifact, I was thinking about getting the Zephyrite Banner to secure charges, but I have serious doubts about who should wear it (the obvious choice is the Hurricanum, but he is already a juicy target) the other only option is the dragon, as the rest of the heroes are too squishy...

What do you think of the list??

Edited by Jymmy

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me why outriders are used so much? On paper they don't do much damage.

The reasons I see:

Cheap and fast 5 man segments

Fit into the battalion

Have good range and can therefore do chip damage from objectives.

What buffs for them are normally used? I see why pistoliers are very good and used, but outriders don't catch my eye yet. I saw some converted duardin on polar bears on youtube and therefore am quite interested if I should convert some outriders as well.

9 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

saw some converted duardin on polar bears on youtube and therefore am quite interested if I should convert some outriders as well.

Dont know about outriders. But this sounds brilliant as Demi gryph knights as well 

3 hours ago, AlmGandix3 said:

What buffs for them are normally used? I see why pistoliers are very good and used, but outriders don't catch my eye yet. I saw some converted duardin on polar bears on youtube and therefore am quite interested if I should convert some outriders as well.

A few reasons

1) Given the base size of pistoliers, it is not possible to fit all of them in combat in many situations. Especially since one of the best tricks of pistoliers is to charge peripherally and only tag one corner enemy miniature (and shooting with your whole squad on the way in) to minimize how much damage you take back. More pistoliers would not actually increase your damage or combat potential, whereas outriders can shoot from the back.

2) Doesn't increase drops- fits in battalions

3) While their damage is ****** at baseline, it goes up very very well with + hit buffs. If by some miracle you can get them in range of a Hurricanum+freeguild general+ azyros, they actually do about as much damage  than irondrakes or handgunners. with those buffs, for example, 150 points gets you 22.5 shots at 3+/2+/-1/1 compared to only 20 shots for the irondrakes or 15 for handgunners. Most lists will include at least a hurricanum and the +wound artifact while some will include an azyros as well, so it isn't totally far fetched to get a few good buffs.  They have some other disdvantages (no stand-and-shoot like the handgunners), worse save than the irondrakes), but also a few advantages (much faster, fallback+shoot, more wounds than comparable points of irondrakes, better save than handgunners), and under the right circumstances, their damage is respectable. 

4) In some ways, they require less support than other shooty options. Most CoS lists need a way to get their ranged firepower into range turn 1, be it living cities deepstrike, darkshards run+shoot with a sorceress or irondrakes with a bridge in hallowheart. Outriders can just..... walk forward and shoot. You need to invest points in the +hit and wound buffs, but not in the mobility buffs like some of their competition. 

5) You mentioned it, able to chip from objectives. 

All around not amazing, but they have a semi-unique role. I think if they weren't in the battalion, you wouldn't see them, but the low drops is quite important as well. I hope they change that rule for going first sometime down the line. 

I also agree that duardin on polar bears feel a bit more like demigryphs. If I were making duardin outriders, I'd do so by putting irodrakes on fenrisian wolves.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

@Frowny @Kramer

I thought about your comments on the size and found the tundra wolves from mantic do you think those would fit better for pistolier/outrider size?

I especially like these models since they already got armor that fits the duardin asthetic

Oh I meant. I don’t know about why outriders from a rules perspective. 

if you feel the bear cav are cool outriders. Just do it. 

• Like 1

Yup. Rule of Cool. Do Bears or mantic wolves or whatever you'll enjoy painting and playing. 

GW Fenrisian wolves are about the size of other horse type GW models (marauders, outriders, pistoliers). No idea about the mantic ones. 

I am more imagining you converting an awesome army with both! Bear cavalry as demigrphys and wolves as outriders etc. For comparison, I made a fenrisian wolf drawn scourgerunner chariot for a more dwarven feel. Never quite finished the army or paintining it though, but it was pretty easy to do.

IMG_20191023_143729.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks,

My main army is ogors: mostly just a charge and smash in play style.

Want a change and was thinking of cities (as I have quite a few 28mm historicals which can be repurposed) and tempest eye as I can include some fantasy elements (keen on some KO and stormcast models). Seems to offer some fun with shooting, magic, and movement shenanigans.

So far I have come up with the current list based on models I own or am going to get regardless.

Any thoughts for how to finish it off?

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
Knight-Azyros (100)
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (190)

Battleline
10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (200)

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (200)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (130)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

You can't have that many ko without more cities units. You'll need to drop at least one from your current setup and add something else for 1500k or be pretty committed to adding small units to get you to 12 for 2k. I think the endrinmaster is your weakest link currently.

With that many pistoliers and the gunhauler already I would consider a Freeguild general on griffon and the battalion. Fall back and shoot and charge are awesome on the pistoliers.

Also since you mention you are interested in stormcast and ko, you can't go too wrong just buying whatever you think is coolest.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:22 PM, Frowny said:

You can't have that many ko without more cities units. You'll need to drop at least one from your current setup and add something else for 1500k or be pretty committed to adding small units to get you to 12 for 2k. I think the endrinmaster is your weakest link currently.

With that many pistoliers and the gunhauler already I would consider a Freeguild general on griffon and the battalion. Fall back and shoot and charge are awesome on the pistoliers.

Also since you mention you are interested in stormcast and ko, you can't go too wrong just buying whatever you think is coolest.

Shouldn't it work if the gunhauler was an ally? Then he only got 2 from the allegiance. 2/8 KO (allegiance) 1/8 stormcast (allegiance) 1/8 KO (ally)

• 3 weeks later...