Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Not saying your advice isn't bad. It is good!

Any army that can screen you won't be benefiting from the bridge much though. 

Even if your opponent can screen you with the bridge, just having it does 2 things for you.

First, it forces your opponent to spread out with their screening, as a 24" range bridge can easily allow you to divert your forces to one side or another.  Also, while the bridge is generally best on turn 1 for an alpha strike, it can still be useful in later turns as well as sudden mobility.

Second, the threat range of a unit of hammerers on turn 1 is 16".  If they run turn 1, then can go 9"+d6 (4" + 3" + 1" from musician + 1" from tempest eye ability).  This means that your turn 2 threat range is 26-31".  Heck, if we run turn 1 and turn 2, we move a grand total of 15 + 2d6", which finally gives us a turn 3 threat range of 19+4d6" (23-43").  Something to point out here - the maximum threat range with the bridge is 36 + 2d6", so 38-48", though a more realistic threat range is more like 30+2d6.  So just having the bridge is enough to get a unit as far as it would go in 3 turns, even if that does mean running over a screen when doing so.

I'm not saying that your opponent can't screen you when you have the bridge.  However, I am saying that it adds enough to your list that just the threat of bridging is enough to force your opponent to react, and give you an advantage.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:22 PM, Maddpainting said:

I've been preparing for Adepticon for a couple months now. My list int he local area is by far the best most OP ****** there is and will be nerf for 100% sure. Another person version just won a major GT in Poland.

Mine is with 4x10 Shadow Warriors, 15 Chariots, 1 unit of Freeguild (body guard) 2 Fleetmasters, and 2 Hurricanum's. I had a list progression on another topic i did a couple months back asking if it was OP and it for sure is.

I'll most a picture later today of my list fully out, as i'm still WiP painting it, but its finished enough for a quick pic.

Hey! Its a huge compliment for me that you guys are taking a closer look to my list. Im open for brainstorm! 

On 2/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, feraxil said:

Looks like he went 1-1 final day. He missed out on 4 hobby points, if he had 15 like the rest of them instead of 11, he would have been 2nd.

Yep. I didnt have time to paint it all on a good level. I lost to idoneth deepkin. One of the few counters

PS. Im a liberator -> god help

Edited by edisonofsigmar

On 3/21/2020 at 3:00 AM, edisonofsigmar said:

Hey! Its a huge compliment for me that you guys are taking a closer look to my list. Im open for brainstorm! 

Yep. I didnt have time to paint it all on a good level. I lost to idoneth deepkin. One of the few counters

PS. Im a liberator -> god help

Mind telling us a bit about how your list plays out?

Just curious as there are for sure some interesting choices in there. Specifically the Flamespyres. What's their role? Only 5 MWs only a fly by seems a lot to pay for 300 points, so I guess they are doing something else as well.

Doesn't your general just die loosing Hawk Eyed on everyone? Seems fairly crucial for the damage output, though perhaps just relying on the damage from the MWs on 6s?

Love to hear how a game plays out - just pick any game you played.

Okey so we need to take into account what is the meta: OB, Tzeentch, Ogres, Slaves are top armies. 
Most of them dont like mortal wounds so whole idea is to destroy opponents with MW. In some cases (slaves and ogres) we encounter deepstrike/teleport high speed. So we need to have some screen. 

My main goal was to create an army that is very tough, does well on most of scenarios. 

Flamesfire Phoenix is the best behemot in the game IMO, for sure in our army. Does 5 MW, screens and if he gets up when he dies our opponent is just f***ed. 
Okey he isnt superb in terms of combat, but if he jumps onto enenmy he can stand there for ever. There are still 3 places and duality -> phoenix does similar job as morathi. Super tough. 

Chariots of course -> its like super crazy retarded op unit. They should cost like 200 or more. 18 wounds. You invest 150 to have 18 wounds. You need to consider that people will try to kill your shooting. In hallowheart you have 60 wounds in all of your shooting units while it costs much more (if your using bridge and handgunners). 30 inches of shooting range is a lot. You dont need magic, bridge etc. 

I dont really care about my general -> if he dies im happy because people dont kill chariots

So I took the most mobile units and the most tough and hitting. To counter meta. Im running around shooting like maniac. 

Example of a battle:

Im playing OB with catapults on duality -> their best scenario. He goes 30 mortek on one and 10 mortek on second objective. First turn I focused shooting and phoenix poop on 30. It went all down. Next turn I took down second objevtice and blocked catapults with phoenixes. Next turns I shoot everything till table. 

Most of games look like this: Opponent kills several chariots or is stuck into phoenixes and you shoot him till table. 

We have counters of course: I guess seraphon on terradons could be HUGE counter and Idoneth deepkin, some slaves to darkness rosters. Except from that we destroy our opponents hard. 

My newest roster - to counter seraphon a little bit: (im testing it still)

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - City: Tempest's Eye Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix (300) - Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60) - General - Command Trait: Hawk-eyed

Battleline

3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
3x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 0 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 190

27 minutes ago, edisonofsigmar said:

Okey so we need to take into account what is the meta: OB, Tzeentch, Ogres, Slaves are top armies. 
Most of them dont like mortal wounds so whole idea is to destroy opponents with MW. In some cases (slaves and ogres) we encounter deepstrike/teleport high speed. So we need to have some screen. 

My main goal was to create an army that is very tough, does well on most of scenarios. 

Flamesfire Phoenix is the best behemot in the game IMO, for sure in our army. Does 5 MW, screens and if he gets up when he dies our opponent is just f***ed. 
Okey he isnt superb in terms of combat, but if he jumps onto enenmy he can stand there for ever. There are still 3 places and duality -> phoenix does similar job as morathi. Super tough. 

Chariots of course -> its like super crazy retarded op unit. They should cost like 200 or more. 18 wounds. You invest 150 to have 18 wounds. You need to consider that people will try to kill your shooting. In hallowheart you have 60 wounds in all of your shooting units while it costs much more (if your using bridge and handgunners). 30 inches of shooting range is a lot. You dont need magic, bridge etc. 

I dont really care about my general -> if he dies im happy because people dont kill chariots

So I took the most mobile units and the most tough and hitting. To counter meta. Im running around shooting like maniac. 

Example of a battle:

Im playing OB with catapults on duality -> their best scenario. He goes 30 mortek on one and 10 mortek on second objective. First turn I focused shooting and phoenix poop on 30. It went all down. Next turn I took down second objevtice and blocked catapults with phoenixes. Next turns I shoot everything till table. 

Most of games look like this: Opponent kills several chariots or is stuck into phoenixes and you shoot him till table. 

We have counters of course: I guess seraphon on terradons could be HUGE counter and Idoneth deepkin, some slaves to darkness rosters. Except from that we destroy our opponents hard. 

My newest roster - to counter seraphon a little bit: (im testing it still)

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - City: Tempest's Eye Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix (300) - Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60) - General - Command Trait: Hawk-eyed

Battleline

3x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 0 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 190

So if you aren't really depending on Hawk Eyed, have you thought about Living City? You'd have a much easier deployment, able to move after shooting, healing 1 wound on all your chariots and phoenixes each turn and having much better spells.

Also agree the phoenixes are great. Mostly people opt for the frost phoenix though for the -1 wound aura. I think I'll try and test one of each.

Also thought just 10 guards would serve as a retinue, making the hawk eyed more likely to stick

• Like 1

To move after shooting I need CP also I dont need to move after. I need to move before. Im not getting +1 to save first turn and 3+ to move. I dont have hawk eyed. Im not depending on hawek eyed but it is HUGE buff.  Frostheart phoenix isnt that great. In this kind of armies you need synergies. This army is so fast that this guards will be a problem, they will be useless. But of course If you will test it and it will do fine let me know. 

My list for Adepticon is/was 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
LEADERS
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)- General - Command Trait : Hawk-eyed
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280) - Artefact : Patrician's Helm
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60) - City Role : General's Adjutant 
UNITS
10 x Freeguild Guard (80) - Swords and Shields - City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)

The Shadow warriors are so fun to play with in this list. I wouldn't be able to play without them anymore.

Edited by Maddpainting

1 hour ago, Maddpainting said:

My list for Adepticon is/was 

LEADERS
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)- General - Command Trait : Hawk-eyed
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280) - Artefact : Patrician's Helm
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60) - City Role : General's Adjutant 
UNITS
10 x Freeguild Guard (80) - Swords and Shields - City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)

The Shadow warriors are so fun to play with in this list. I wouldn't be able to play without them anymore.

Is the extra command point worth it over perhaps Emerald Lifeswarm?

On 3/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Rune said:

Is the extra command point worth it over perhaps Emerald Lifeswarm?

For em yes, b.c in TE you can run and shoot, so turn 1 i could run and shoot up to 3 units of Scourges, or if i need too force 1 to run 6" and shoot with another one running and shooting.. Turn 1 15" base movement, then 1+D6 and still shoot (16+D6) for 3 units is very strong IMO. 

Also i forgot, i changed the relic on the 1 Hurricanum to Thermalrider

Has anyone used any of the big kharadron ships in tempests eye? The allure of +1 to hit and wound on an ironclad is tempting.... And +1 hit and wound on endrinriggers seems solid as well... Moreover you could put the general inside it, maybe with his advisor making them very very hard to snipe.

You'd need a lot of small units to enable the 1 in 4 things.

17 hours ago, Frowny said:

Has anyone used any of the big kharadron ships in tempests eye? The allure of +1 to hit and wound on an ironclad is tempting.... And +1 hit and wound on endrinriggers seems solid as well... Moreover you could put the general inside it, maybe with his advisor making them very very hard to snipe.

You'd need a lot of small units to enable the 1 in 4 things.

I've debated grabbing an ironclad + 15 thunderers + Celestial Hurricanum (general w/ thermalrider cloak + hawk eyed).

However, while this is a neat idea, Ironclad + 15 thunderers is 870 points... that is a HUGE portion of the army.  Knowing that you need to get at least 6 other units in the remaining 1130 points is also rather rough.  Its doable, but I'm not sure that it is going to carry its weight.

What I'm actually more interested in is grabbing a few gunhaulers.  Load them with drill cannons and they can potentially do 3 mortals across the board.  Load them with cannons, and at 24" they only need +1 to hit to hit on a 2+/2+.  Also, if you take 3 of them, you still have 1500 points for the remaining 9 units that you will have to bring along.

If you are going to run them though, there are 2 things that I am looking at to get good points and units coverage.  The first is the freeguild general + 3 handgunners.  For 400 points, this gives us a solid block for both shooting and screening.  Additionally, that gives you 3 long rifles which you can use to pick off opposing hero's.  The second thing I'm looking at is units of individual gyrocopters.  At 70 points a piece, they are fast, and they give you a solid gameplan against hordes, while an ironclad or gunhaulers gives you pretty good damage against monsters/elite units.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 1:42 AM, Maddpainting said:

For em yes, b.c in TE you can run and shoot, so turn 1 i could run and shoot up to 3 units of Scourges, or if i need too force 1 to run 6" and shoot with another one running and shooting.. Turn 1 15" base movement, then 1+D6 and still shoot (16+D6) for 3 units is very strong IMO. 

Also i forgot, i changed the relic on the 1 Hurricanum to Thermalrider

I suggest using a Knight-Azyros instead of one of your Hurricanums. Re-roll 1s to hit adds more damage than +1 to hit when the unit deals mortal wounds on 6s. Or perhaps do both :)

NTY, I hate the idea that he has to be within 10" of an enemy, he is only 5 wounds, also it won't work turn 1 as he loses his DSing ability in CoS. Sure he is cheap, but its not reliable. And his once a game D3 MW's only works if he is within 8", that means he is a 1 and done character, I'll get 1 turn with his buff and damage and thats it, where the Hurricanum i keep it on the table almost all game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rune said:

I suggest using a Knight-Azyros instead of one of your Hurricanums. Re-roll 1s to hit adds more damage than +1 to hit when the unit deals mortal wounds on 6s. Or perhaps do both :)

For aesthetic purposes, no Knight Azyros will stain my army. Perhaps wings on Karl Franz a lot later on, but not the KA.

• Haha 1

I’ve always been in love with the dwarfen asthetics of the old world, and with the release of the cities of sigmar battletome, I’ve tried some cities out with the duardins I own right now.

the city that I really enjoyed most was that of tempest eye.

that +1 to the save and +3 to the move characteristic is incredible for the duardins.

and with the few smallish buffs like aura of glory or hawk eyed, this dwarfs can even punch through enemy lines without a sweat.

with that said, I thought of a list that I might consider using in future.

And since I’m not as experienced with the dwarfs, and their book of grudges, (of which my name is probably mentioned several times) I thought I’d asked the more veterans of the tempest eye’s city.

so here’s my list:

Leaders
Warden King (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed  
- Artefact: Seerstone Amulet  
Runelord (90)
Runelord (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant 
Battlemage (90)
Cogsmith (60)

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (330)
20 x Longbeards (220)
- Great Axes
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
30 x Irondrakes (450)
20 x Hammerers (280)

Artillery
Cannon (140)
- Allies (mercenaries)
Cannon (140)
- Allies(mercenaries)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 133

IMG_20200316_012139.jpg.71ce397aa8c5d81aa4b25a2a55a7de40.jpgIMG_20200316_012115.jpg.62b55812f3f87db3d4f819e461cb8db0.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 8:26 AM, zilberfrid said:

For aesthetic purposes, no Knight Azyros will stain my army. Perhaps wings on Karl Franz a lot later on, but not the KA.

You can always headswap them and turn em into statues like I have done here

Edited by Rune

44 minutes ago, Rune said:

IMG_20200316_012139.jpg.71ce397aa8c5d81aa4b25a2a55a7de40.jpgIMG_20200316_012115.jpg.62b55812f3f87db3d4f819e461cb8db0.jpg

You can always headswap them and turn em into statues like I have done here

Everything you change about them improves them (though I doubt I'll do as good a job as you), but I dislike the whole Stormcast deal, the shoulders, the body proportions, the 40k weapons, the other weapons, the religious overtones, their lore, their heads.

Everything except the Aetherwings, Gryph Chargers and the Gryph hounds, basically.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to CoS and would love some help coming up with my starting list(s). I've been debating between a Tempests Eye and a Hallowheart force and decided to try and build a list that shares many of the same units to try and do both. Here is what I came up with for Tempests Eye:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm
- Lore of Eagles: Aura of Glory
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Celestial Visions
- City Role: General's Adjutant
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Strike of Eagles
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (100)
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (420)

I know Scourgerunners are the new hotness right now, but going all in on them isn't terribly appealing from a starting standpoint, so I figured one unit of 3 will have to do. I *could* maybe drop the greatswords down to 20 and make them the Honored Retinue and then squeeze in another 3 Scourgerunners, but I'd definitely like to here your take on my list! Any help is appreciated. :) 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:56 AM, Rogue Sun said:

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to CoS and would love some help coming up with my starting list(s). I've been debating between a Tempests Eye and a Hallowheart force and decided to try and build a list that shares many of the same units to try and do both. Here is what I came up with for Tempests Eye:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm
- Lore of Eagles: Aura of Glory
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Celestial Visions
- City Role: General's Adjutant
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Eagles: Strike of Eagles
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (420)

I know Scourgerunners are the new hotness right now, but going all in on them isn't terribly appealing from a starting standpoint, so I figured one unit of 3 will have to do. I *could* maybe drop the greatswords down to 20 and make them the Honored Retinue and then squeeze in another 3 Scourgerunners, but I'd definitely like to here your take on my list! Any help is appreciated. :) 

With so many sisters of the watch you could definetly use a Soulscream bridge here for teleporting ranged death star.  Sisters shooting on 1+/2+ are very scary.

28 minutes ago, Arkahn said:

Hello guys, I want to start a TE list and I need to know your pro & cons between the scourgerunner chariot list and the aetherguard windrunners list. 

And which one is the best overall ? 

Thanks ! 😉

Scourgerunner spam is definitely the strongest of the two. If you enjoy winning, but not having particularly interesting games then go for that.

To me, It's not fun for you or the opponent. It's the same unit 18 times. Has no particular interactivity. Played it a few times on Tabletop Simulator though, and it absolutely crushes. Not something I'd invest in building though.

4 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

So are any of the Kharadron Overlord units worth taking in TE? Someone is trying to convince me 10 Thunderers is better than 20 Irondrakes... 

I think they have some merit but I’m not fully convinced 

As a dwarf player of all sorts I’d say no. That’s not true imo. Unless you also take a frigate. That movement is  extremely valuable. And it’s 60 pts cheaper. 
but irondrakes are easier to buff, more bodies, more shots, battleline, better save against shooting.