AoS 2 -Greywater Fastness Discussion

Brodylan

12 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Eorek

I love those lists, but you're mad (mad!) if you're running Gotrek in a CoS list with no Emerald Lifeswarm. Our lifeswarm is probably one of the best Gotrek enhancers available in the game.

Dont think he has been even close to dying in any of my games ^^.

Been considering trying that list in The living city though.

Edited by Eorek
  • Like 1

So quarentine unfortunately has me sapped for motivation when it comes to building and painting... HOWEVER i have totally done at least SOME stuff. So whilst I have pretty much no list in mind for this army anymore here's some of the cool undead city or sigmar pirate conversions I've done.

(Apologies for bad photos my phone camera is literally cracked. When I finish these I wanna get some digital camera shots of them done)

Hurricanum:

IMG_20200519_204818.jpg.929aff100c1d9b7680d20e1408977da0.jpg

As you can see he's changed a lot from my earlier posts and blog post and he's looking pretty mean! Still a far cry from being finished but he's definitely one of my faves.

Steam tank:

IMG_20200519_204829.jpg.6ff62e2740234f857becddf80bb28376.jpg

My banshee possessed steamtank walker. This will be the basic conversion for any regular steamtanks I do, I have a converted mortis engine pirate ship steamtank thing for my commander one though. Little bit of a disconnect between those models for sure but this is mostly a 'for fun' project so it's not too big a deal if they don't look that similar.

Kharibdyss:

IMG_20200519_204837.jpg.c9e225a53bab2973273d8be78e4b61ba.jpg

He's pretty and you can't not have a sea monster if you're doing pirates. Probably not a good unit but once again... Super pretty.

I'm also currently wondering whether I could make a stardrake work so I can stick a vampire on top of it and finally have a big meanie dragon. But the answer to will it work is probably not if I go greywater (and is it really fun undead pirates without having enough points for artillery?) I'm also planning to make some pistol wielding spectral Siren shadow warriors as my next conversion unit so that will be fun.

Just generally looking for some fun melee units to compliment my beasties and handgunners, I'm not too worried about being competitive as like I said, mostly a for fun project.

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So this be my current thinking for a competitive (yes I know, competitive Greywater, Heresy!!), list,

Thoughts welcome!!

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Greywater Fastness
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Anointed (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Drillmaster
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Smog: Choking Fumes
Runelord (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Knight-Venator (110)
- Artefact: Mastro Vivetti's Maginificent Macroscope

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (270)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
30 x Irondrakes (450)
3 x Gyrocopters (180)
5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)
- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Soulscream Bridge (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 137
Also should note I'm still tossing up on whether to take more fellas as the list is currently), or swap out 10 Breakers and a Copter for  a Warden King, or just drop the Lifetakers and take the extra Breakers+Copter.

All thoughts of course welcome! 🥰

Edited by TaurielBlack
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:37 AM, Eorek said:

Gyrocopters! Any C&c is appreciated.IMG_1843.JPG.8e17ac8e46da929a7c7e02c3b3f8f920.JPG

First thought: I love them 💗

Second thought: I love them and they're perfect 💗💗💗

Third thought: Where do you live, because there are a couple of Gyrocopter propeller bits I use twice in all my converted gyrocopters, and usually have to end up buying a second gyrocopter for...

7 hours ago, TaurielBlack said:

Hell yeah man, they look sweet! Mostly Gryocopter parts with those mechcanicus flyer dudes' wings?

yea, you basically reshuffle the hell outta a gyrocopter. hardest part is making the body of the plane. 

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

First thought: I love them 💗

Second thought: I love them and they're perfect 💗💗💗

Third thought: Where do you live, because there are a couple of Gyrocopter propeller bits I use twice in all my converted gyrocopters, and usually have to end up buying a second gyrocopter for...

Thank you ^^ I donated my spare gyrocopter bitz to a friends project though : <

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm putting together a cosy all dwarf list. Even though its mostly for fun, do you guys think it has any bearing? 😀

Leaders
Runelord (90)
- General
- Artefact: Steam-piston Plate Mail
Runelord (90)
Warden King (100)
Cogsmith (60)

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (270)
30 x Irondrakes (450)
30 x Hammerers (360)

Artillery
Helstorm Rocket Battery (130)

Battalions
Greywater Artillery Company (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejnar said:

I'm putting together a cosy all dwarf list. Even though its mostly for fun, do you guys think it has any bearing? 😀

Leaders
Runelord (90)
- General
- Artefact: Steam-piston Plate Mail
Runelord (90)
Warden King (100)
Cogsmith (60)

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (270)
30 x Irondrakes (450)
30 x Hammerers (360)

Artillery

Battalions
Greywater Artillery Company (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

I love the flavor.  One thing I would encourage is getting Longbeards in there as well as something that can add some speed.....Gyrocopters come to mind.  That way you can contest/take objectives that your other guys will not get too.  I like the 30 man blocks for discounts but saving some points by going down will allow you to take the Longbeards which give you more buffs to layer.  Also drillmaster is less good unless your are going to the runelord with the Iron Drakes (which should be the first unit you cut to 20 since you don't get a horde discount there) as the Cogsmith gives the Helstorm Rocket Battery rerolls already just for being around. them.  I think if you cut all 3 units to 20 that will give you the Longbeards and the Gyrocopters in a 3 man unit exactly.  I will tell you from experience I love the Irondrakes but they are sad without a bridge BUT they deter people from coming on a flank with just normal guys so there is a bit of strategy with them.  My list is very similar except I broke duardin rank and have a unit of Shadow Warriors as well to go deep into opposing territory.  I just use Old Quarrellers with cloaks instead of the dirty elf models.  

• Like 1

@Dejnar

Oof! Off to a solid start, but I'd get some Gyrocopters or allied Kharadron Skywardens in there to grab objectives, and unless you prefer the Ironbreaker models (the best reason to use any unit), consider swapping them out for great weapon Longbeards.

I've not played very many games of AoS in the last 12 months owing to the current situation in the UK, but have written guides on getting the most out of Dispossessed units and Greywater Fastness armies if they're of interest:

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2020/02/the-lonely-realmsphere-guide.html

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2020/02/the-lonely-realmsphere-guide-greywater.html

:) 

33 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

@Dejnar

Oof! Off to a solid start, but I'd get some Gyrocopters or allied Kharadron Skywardens in there to grab objectives, and unless you prefer the Ironbreaker models (the best reason to use any unit), consider swapping them out for great weapon Longbeards.

I've not played very many games of AoS in the last 12 months owing to the current situation in the UK, but have written guides on getting the most out of Dispossessed units and Greywater Fastness armies if they're of interest:

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2020/02/the-lonely-realmsphere-guide.html

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2020/02/the-lonely-realmsphere-guide-greywater.html

:) 

I can attest this stuff is awesome very well written @Double Misfire

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

I have two copters laying around. I was also thinking about a dwarf hurricanum. I dont really mind the Ironbreakers and I only have 10 longbeards. The main goal is not tournaments with this army though I feel that Fastness may have some bearing in my local meta.

I have read your guides already. Great stuff mate! :)

I'll keep tinkering. Shame Steam tank seem so lackluster. But I might miss something. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. I'm a new player to AoS and my friend is organising some 500pt games for when COVID allows. I bought the Cities of Sigmar handbook + Greywater Fastness boxset honestly like well over a year ago but I'm only now getting round to actually putting it together.

Can anyone recommend a decent 500pt list for Greywater Fastness? I know they're not the strongest army but thematically I love them. Think my friends have a Stormcast army, a Nighthaunt army and possibly one Skaven.

So far I've built my Warden King, Cogsmith and - apparently - 1x Ironbreaker so that's a set of 10x Irondrakes out of the window haha. Choosing Gyrocopter > Gyrobomber.

500 pts is not easy 😉

I would recommand (if you only want to play dwarves):

1 runelord with Ghoul Mere Ranger (friendly units wholly within 12can run and shoot) and steam piston plate mail (+1 mv and + 1 save)
1 runelord (general adjudant)
10 longbeards with shields
10 irondrakes
1 Gyrocopter

500pts in the nose

You can shoot, you can grab objectives, you have the runelords to buff your units and for dispelling

Or
Warden king with Ghoul mere Ranger
Cogsmith with the magnificient macroscope
10 irondrakes
10 Ironbreakers
1 Gyrocopter

480pts

Edited by Crashnarf

9 hours ago, Crashnarf said:

500 pts is not easy 😉

I would recommand (if you only want to play dwarves):

1 runelord with Ghoul Mere Ranger (friendly units wholly within 12can run and shoot) and steam piston plate mail (+1 mv and + 1 save)
1 runelord (general adjudant)
10 longbeards with shields
10 irondrakes
1 Gyrocopter

500pts in the nose

You can shoot, you can grab objectives, you have the runelords to buff your units and for dispelling

Or
Warden king with Ghoul mere Ranger
Cogsmith with the magnificient macroscope
10 irondrakes
10 Ironbreakers
1 Gyrocopter

480pts

Cheers for the reply! Yeh I think my friend is saying we should all go 500pts first to see if we want to continue before we spend more cash haha.

I guess the second list is easier for me to achieve because of my start collecting boxset but would the first list be more effective on the board?

14 hours ago, Nymzee said:

Cheers for the reply! Yeh I think my friend is saying we should all go 500pts first to see if we want to continue before we spend more cash haha.

I guess the second list is easier for me to achieve because of my start collecting boxset but would the first list be more effective on the board?

Your friend is right I think, better try before buying more stuffs.

In fact, you can play the 2 by using proxy. In a friendly 500pts game, both lists will work, even If I think that the second is, indeed, less effective than the first one.

• 3 months later...

So as apparently Greywater fastness conversion/kitbash projects are something I consistently gravitate toward I have decided that I have an idea for my next heavy conversion army project. This one based entirely off some cool artwork I once saw.

So my project I'm planning is gunpowder elves (*angry dwarven screams in the distance*) one of the main unit ideas I have for now is sisters of the watch but with magical glowy muskets instead of bows and potentially shadow warriors with pistols replacing their bows. Obviously with AoS3 on the horizon trying to build a list right now is perhaps not the easiest of jobs but I figure for a project like this it's better to go with cool models/units rather than 'what works right now'. 

One of thing difficulties I'm having with this project idea though is working out how best to do war machines such as steam tanks or volley guns etc, whether to just have them as they are with elf crew or whether there might actually be better models to base off to give a more elven motif. Any suggestions/ideas on good kits / ideas to look at would be heavily appreciated! And also as I doubt we'll get a new book anytime soon whether anyone can advise on any particular standout units to try and include or avoid within greywater.

3 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So as apparently Greywater fastness conversion/kitbash projects are something I consistently gravitate toward I have decided that I have an idea for my next heavy conversion army project. This one based entirely off some cool artwork I once saw.

So my project I'm planning is gunpowder elves (*angry dwarven screams in the distance*) one of the main unit ideas I have for now is sisters of the watch but with magical glowy muskets instead of bows and potentially shadow warriors with pistols replacing their bows. Obviously with AoS3 on the horizon trying to build a list right now is perhaps not the easiest of jobs but I figure for a project like this it's better to go with cool models/units rather than 'what works right now'. 

One of thing difficulties I'm having with this project idea though is working out how best to do war machines such as steam tanks or volley guns etc, whether to just have them as they are with elf crew or whether there might actually be better models to base off to give a more elven motif. Any suggestions/ideas on good kits / ideas to look at would be heavily appreciated! And also as I doubt we'll get a new book anytime soon whether anyone can advise on any particular standout units to try and include or avoid within greywater.

Shadow Warriors and Sisters of the Watch are both still really useful. You could also make pistoliers from Doomfire Warlocks/Dark Riders and give them pistols. Gyrocopters are great in Grey water, so maybe floating chunks of rock with elves on swivel guns as counts as? Irondrakes are also excellent, perhaps have some elves behind pavises with guns resting on them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

Shadow Warriors and Sisters of the Watch are both still really useful. You could also make pistoliers from Doomfire Warlocks/Dark Riders and give them pistols. Gyrocopters are great in Grey water, so maybe floating chunks of rock with elves on swivel guns as counts as? Irondrakes are also excellent, perhaps have some elves behind pavises with guns resting on them?

Swivel gun elves sounds like a really interesting idea! Could definitely make some interesting floating rocks for them. I have some of the greenstuff world arcane rollers so can have nice sigil patterns on them. And I absolutely love pavises so may have to try that Irondrake idea too! Will probably want to use plasticard for that and paint nice runes on the front of them or something. Dark riders as pistoliers also sounds like a pretty simple and safe option, can use them again if I want outriders too. Thanks for the help! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Swivel gun elves sounds like a really interesting idea! Could definitely make some interesting floating rocks for them. I have some of the greenstuff world arcane rollers so can have nice sigil patterns on them. And I absolutely love pavises so may have to try that Irondrake idea too! Will probably want to use plasticard for that and paint nice runes on the front of them or something. Dark riders as pistoliers also sounds like a pretty simple and safe option, can use them again if I want outriders too. Thanks for the help! 

No problem :)

If you need a swivel gun, GW used to make some decades ago and you can usually find them on eBay. There were 2 different ones - it's my opinion that the one with the aiming pole out the back of the gun looks better. It originally had dwarf crewmen, but I used one in my old Dogs of War army with human crew and it looked fine.

• Like 1