Has Warcry led to more, and better, scenery being used in your regular AoS games?

JPjr

I guess a lot of people here play in shops and other public spaces like absolute wronguns but aside from that has the release of Warcry led to more interesting looking tables in your regular games? I'm just finally finishing up the Warcry starter set and I have to say, even with a bit to go, having it all laid out it looks lovely.

Sans evidence I always figured one of the many points of both KT & WC was to get people more into using (and so buying of course) more scenery in their games across all formats.

Have to say I've already bought on eBay a couple of extra sprues of pieces I particularly liked (the belltower for example) and I'm definitely looking to both buy more scenery and build some stuff completely from scratch (hills, lakes, rivers etc and a massive Shyishian centrepiece built from an old 80s Castle Greyskull toy). 

I'm weirdly finding it a lot more fun than regular model painting at the moment (though saying that I've always had a big thing for vignettes and dioramas).

• Like 1

Unfortunately the distributor in Russia still haven't delivered even first wave of Warcry, so all my hobby money went for other things, if that wasn't the case I could've used this terrain to play at home. And for the same reason only one local club has it ATM and it's not used in games of AoS.

• Like 1

Im obsessed with terrain and the stormvault and warcry stuff this year has really motivated me. My current fixation is to get enough of the raised plaza pieces from TT Combat painted to create a good city board on multiple levels - this works great for Forbidden Power games in a stormvault! I also grabbed the last box of Citadel Woods from my local GW to add it to the Deathworld Jungle stuff i got from Kill Team last year, which works nicely as dangerous terrain in Shyish, Ghyran, Ghur... or anywhere really!

• Like 3

I'm very envious of the Warcry terrain. I love painting up that sort of thing, as I find it much easier than regular minis for some reason. I generally play stuff like Frostgrave and D&D more than actual warhammer, so tend to have a different baseline of what set ups should look like. What people call a crowded game for warhammer looks like about the minimum I'd use for a frostgrave table (albeit over a smaller area).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Marius said:

My current fixation is to get enough of the raised plaza pieces from TT Combat painted to create a good city board on multiple levels - this works great for Forbidden Power games in a stormvault!

Nice! Yeah I absolutely love the idea of building really intricate cities and interesting wilderness locations for game (probably if I'm honest the idea of making those actually equals or beats my interest in playing games themselves sometimes), something I really want to put a lot more time and effort into over the next year.

Not sure if you saw it but there was a table they build for a stupidly huge Armageddon game in the last White Dwarf that just blew me away. Must have used dozens of Sector Imperialis and Mechanicus sets to create an absolutely ****** HUGE forge world setup, that had buildings big enough for proper 28mm scale Titans to walk through the archways. Absolutely blew me away when I saw it.

Waiting for a book I kickstarted earlier this year to turn up (sadly still a few months away) on  Terrain building that I really hope will inspire me to create some crazy stuff.

• Like 4

I don’t really play AoS but I’ll still comment since I love talking about terrain :)

ever since I got back into the hobby a year ago, I probably devoted 50% of my energy to making terrain. I find it both extremely fun to work on and incredibly satisfying. Especially playing on a textures board, with matching bases and fully painted terrain. I made 4 small buildings from the azyrite ruins, with bases including debris and stone floors, I have some hills, rocks and ancient stone idols, based and primed the azyrite township, primed sigmarite mausoleum, some scratchbuilt mordheim ruins that I want to re-paint. I may get the warcry starter set, but after that I want to make a whole lot more scratchbuilt terrain. If all goes well in a couple months more I should have enough terrain to do at least 5-6 different environment types for warcry.

If I ever do get into AoS proper I’ll probably play 500-1000 pts max games, to be able to cram enough terrain on the board :D

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Moldek said:

with bases including debris and stone floors

what did you use to add a base to the ruins? I've been thinking of adding something, possibly, like that to some of the Warcry ruins. I assumed some kind of thin plastic card would do the job, just so I could add some rubble and foliage around them, but interested to know what you did. Any pics?

I haven't had the opportunity to play in a month, but I suspect that with the new terrain rules and availability of interesting ruins and other things, my regular opponents will be more open to multi-level terrain and generally having more things to move over and climb over on the game table. It really does make for a more enjoyable game if your table looks like a cool place to have a battle in, rather than being a bunch of templates.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Belper said:

No? Why would it? Warcry scenery ( at least the starter set's) is terrible for sigmar. It doesn't block los, doesn't provide cover...it's just not very good.

If you read the OP, they basically state "I like the scenery in Warcry so now I'm actually buying other scenery to use in my AoS games." Not a difficult concept to grasp. 

And even then they could just fiddle around with the Warcry stuff in their own games with their own rules for it. 

Edited by smartazjb0y
  • Like 1

I've made a full 22x30 baseboard with accompanying terrain just for warcry, so yeah definitely!

It's awesome because you don't realize how low cost and relatively easy making terrain is compared to painting up an army up until you try it.

Then you'll also soon realize how useful it is to just *have* terrain handy, especially if you've made something suitably generic that can be used in other systems.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JPjr said:

what did you use to add a base to the ruins? I've been thinking of adding something, possibly, like that to some of the Warcry ruins. I assumed some kind of thin plastic card would do the job, just so I could add some rubble and foliage around them, but interested to know what you did. Any pics?

Basing the ruins is cool, the only downside is that you can no longer stack them to create multiple story buildings. Unless you’re smarter than me and build the base as a partially broken stone floor, without any dirt of ground elements.

I actually used a bunch of transparent plastic offcuts that I bought for next to nothing at a picture frame store. There I also got a lot of thick card offcuts, that I used to create the stone tile floors.

I have some pics in this thread :

I’ll try to remember to take a couple more precise pictures tomorrow to really show the bases :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JPjr said:

I really recommend 6mm MDF, it is light, won't warp and easy to work with. I have the Azyrite Townscape based up on it with the primer drying as we speak. I have used bits of broken up slate tile for rubble - not perfect but it if I paint the rubble to match the ruins I am hoping it will work okay.

I use a hand held jig saw to cut the board in an irregular pattern then a belt sander to bevel the edges. I leave a 1mm straight edge around the sides to avoid the risk of damage to the sides if they were bevelled to a point. I glued the rubble down with PVA then painted PVA over the base before sprinkling on the sand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a problem with that. Line of Sight blocking is an important thing in the game. It's not as critical in AoS because many armies run far more heavily on close combat than ranged attacks and there's quite a few that have hardly any access to ranged units at all. Heck the new Bonereaper army is looking to have only one ranged unit in the trebuchet whilst Slaanesh has only one ranged support leader. 

6 hours ago, InSaint said:

Yes but the problem with WarCry terrain is that some players are starting to emulate the 40k ITC 1st level block LOS rule. 🤣

What does this mean exactly?  I only know that ITC is the unofficial official rules of 40k, I don't know it in depth.

Edited by Dead Scribe

Well, TO can theoretically put anything in the event pack but if it's a stupid rule people will ignore the event. I'm not sure but I think that ITC rules are liked by ultracompetitive players in USA (but better ask someone else).

And I just checked and that rule works slightly differently - 1st floor walls blocks LoS only if both units are outside ruins. If one unit is inside building, normal LoS rules apply.

Edited by michu

It's mostly building around the idea of a wall being a wall rather than a wall being full of little tiny gaps you can just see through. I've no problem with it, fairly set out it simply means that you do have areas where archers can't sit back and just fire away. It also adds value to no-line-of-sight spells and ranged attacks 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stratigo said:

Aos in fact implemented its own full los blocking terrain in the form of trees, which renders the requirement to have full los blocking ruins far less urgent

In AoS basicly each type to terrain can be los blocking if the terrain has the "Overgrown" rule of the Generals Handbook 2019, if it dosn't use a unique scenary warscroll.

Edited by EMMachine