AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

I know that many people dont care for top list or tournaments.

But here we were speaking about tournaments.

Myself never have played a tournament with more than 25 players.

Also i never have played a top list because im a perfectionist builder that need per example 50 hours to build the hurricanum or 5 hours to build one single model of one unit (i use xacto knife to clean joints of the matriz,then file with 1200 sandpaper and then 2000 sandpaper,and i use this same method in the 100% of the mold lanes of the every model untill the model have 0 mold lanes,also i fix every joint so be invisible with thin glue and sandpapers or if it is big with green stuff but i cant have a model with any visible gap)

Per example i started a dispossesed army 2\3 years ago with the tempest eye boxes and when i had around 1300 points built then citys came and my dispossesed were dead,then i started to finish my army with some citys model as hurricanum together my old disposeseds. It isnt a competitive list because i only bougth models that i allways loved after play as kid at age of reckoning and i didnt cared for rules.

So it is imposible to me play any competitive because i need maybe around 3\4 years only to build my army(unpainted,paint takes more ages)

Whats my point,i am not play competitive lists and i dont care about competitive because i cant follow the meta,but i like know whats good, theoeycrafting etc and it is fun so i know that hallowhearth per example isnt top 10 rigth now but as i say this i play and win and have fun with my halowhearth dispossesed army and i dont care if it is top or not.

Other reason that is hard that i follow the meta is because i dont like aos models,i love fantasy models and i just buy fantasy models. I tried start fyreslayers but after 1000 points i came back to my citys because i dont feel nothing seeing aos models but every fantasy model give me buterflies in my belly when i see it.

Lol long post with no sense sorry guys

Btw this is my list after 4 years building it:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Battlemage (110)
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
Runelord (90)
Runelord (90)
Warden King (100)
Knight-Incantor (120)

Battleline
10 x Darkshards (100)
30 x Ironbreakers (270)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields

Units
1 x Gyrobombers (80)
1 x Gyrobombers (80)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Battalions
Whitefire Retinue (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

I gonna try anvilguard lists when i build the black dragon from the new boxe together my dragonlord of high elf

Edited by Doko
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Not keen on sharing the details quite yet but suffice to say I've been playing around with builds that are very different from the "classic" Hallowheart lists. No bridge here!

Keep fighting the good fight, Swarm!

Anyone have any success with running 6 evocators on dracolines? 520 points is a big investment, but they seem really good. I've run 3 in a 1k game and they did some work against Lumineth. Just trying to see if anyone has any better experience with them.

3 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Not keen on sharing the details quite yet but suffice to say I've been playing around with builds that are very different from the "classic" Hallowheart lists. No bridge here!

I figured as much, bridge lists are for the most part dead. Supporting Phoenix Guards has been the approach lately. Keen to hear what's been working for you though, getting tired of running the same builds and out of inspiration.

7 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

@ProbablyBalthus19 they hit pretty hard on the charge particularly with empower up. It's a shame they can only cast empower as they'd be really sweet in Hallowheart without that restriction. I probably wouldn't use them in builds that are intended to be at the top of the competitive spectrum but they're far from bad!

Makes sense. Don't know if I'll ever play competetively, but right now it fills points in my army. I'd love some freeguild..but they look terrible lol.

28 minutes ago, Uziel said:

Maybe you could convert some Kairic Acolites, or other models and use them as freeguild.

I for example, use my old bretonnian men at arms as Freeguild Guard with halberds.

That's an idea. I've been trying to find conversions but failing. The old sculpts are just so bad. My current 1k list is:

Celestial Hurricanum

Battlemage

battlemage

10 Longbeards

10 ironbreakers

3 evocators on dracoline.

Looking to pick up 20 irondrakes, and was looking to get 20 handgunners to fill out battleline but they just look terrible :(

I haven't gotten any further games in with Hallowheart since last posting but should have much more time to test starting late this week.

In the meantime, at least in theory I like my matchup against new Idoneth. I'm fairly confident that their new tools -- while good in the meta -- are not very good against my build. I'm very much not sure about DoK though. I suspect classic DoK is favored against me, but new melee snake builds I think I probably have a favorable matchup against. Morathi Blood Stalker builds are probably going to be a horrible matchup, but I would be surprised if that doesn't end up getting nerfed.

20 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I haven't gotten any further games in with Hallowheart since last posting but should have much more time to test starting late this week.

In the meantime, at least in theory I like my matchup against new Idoneth. I'm fairly confident that their new tools -- while good in the meta -- are not very good against my build. I'm very much not sure about DoK though. I suspect classic DoK is favored against me, but new melee snake builds I think I probably have a favorable matchup against. Morathi Blood Stalker builds are probably going to be a horrible matchup, but I would be surprised if that doesn't end up getting nerfed.

Hehe you are such a tease. Nobody knows your list so hard to really use what you are saying for any good.

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Hehe you are such a tease. Nobody knows your list so hard to really use what you are saying for any good.

That's absolutely fair, and I apologize for my glibness! My main motivation is to encourage people to keep playing Hallowheart, keep trying new things out etc. as I am confident that there are very strong Hallowheart lists still out there.

Back in feb/march this year I decided I was going to collect a new army. I decided on a cities of sigmar army because I loved the flagellants models. 

3 months later I had spent $$$ and effort to painted up 30 hand gunnners, 40 flagellants, the Celestial Hurricanum with battle mage, 2x battle mage, free guild general, 30 crossbowmen, 20 phoenix guard also painted up some shadow warriors and the soul scream bridge. 

Went along to a grand tournament in Australia. I  ran the hallowed heart list with a strategy of using the soul scream bridge to gain movement, Arcane channeling with searing wounds to get plus to cast, warding brand on the flagellants,  pha protection on PG, etc.  Played 5 games, lost 4 out of the 5. The meta included many really good, fast hard hitting armies and although I still had fun overall at the GT I didn't really like playing my army. I actually recorded how many spells went off each game, and even with the CH/BM giving the large plus to cast I still failed a large number of spells  (around 20 casts) over the 5 games. 

Sticking with the models I switched to temptus eye. After the GT during the next couple of months I played 3 to 4 games and roughly I dropped a battle mage for a knight incantor to get an auto dispel, split the crossbowmen into 3 x 10, dropped the free guild general and flagellants for aetherwings and evocators on dracolines. After playing through several games with temptus eye I really enjoyed the faster movement turn one and the extra save. 

I have just played a one day tournament using temptus eye and won 2 out of 3 games, almost wining the 3rd game (initiative roles!), the list I used was a more optimsed temptus eye list and have found even more ways to optimise it now. I am loving playing the temptus eye lists. 

I guess the reason I am posting this is so if someone else drops $$$ on a new army based on theory hammer in cities and does not love the play style once they have collected it, then keep switching it up, as cities has huge amounts of options, you will be able to find your play style by switching some units around, changing the battle traits etc. 

good luck, have fun! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello! I'm hoping to play some different factions until the Beasts of Chaos receive an update. I've enjoyed Cities of Sigmar and I'm discovering the following to be rather successful. Rather than focus on the bonus to casting potential of Hallowheart, I've built my list to benefit from its magic resistance and the expansive immunity to battleshock its general can provide. Together, these have let me build out two solid demigryph knight units which otherwise are somewhat vulnerable to battleshock and spell-sniping.

The list has its two greatsword units take backfield objectives. The demigryph knights and general on griffon charge forward to secure midfield objectives. The runelord and hammerers take the center of the board, hopefully benefiting from the Crystal Aegis spell to further enhance its survivability. The two sisters of the thorn units maneuver where needed.

Here's the list. I look forward to your feedback!

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Freeguild General on Griffon (320)
- General
- Shield & Greathammer
- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade
Runelord (90)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - Crystal Aegis

Battleline
6 x Demigryph Knights (360)
- Cavalry Halberd
6 x Demigryph Knights (360)
- Cavalry Halberd
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)

Units
20 x Hammerers (280)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Lore of Whitefire: Warding Brand
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

Thanks for this feedback. I considered Hammerhal, but Hallowheart ends up being a better fit and more productive. It is a matter of survivability. Hallowheart's magic resistance is really useful in the current environment, as is the blanket immunity to battleshock. Meanwhile, Hammerhal might offer a bit more initial punch on the charge, but this list provides more flexibility so to not be dependent on always getting the first strike. Instead, Hallowheart helps it be better at counterpunching. This is why I went with cavalry halberds on the demigryph knights,  rather than lances.

Is there anything in the list that is particularly interesting or catches your eye, both in terms of the build itself and how I described its use?

Seems a good plan.

Maybe i changed the greatswords to a unit of 20 and then the middle board for dwarfs,the cavalry one side,and then the greatsword the other side.

Its a good list and gonna be fun for sure.

I never tried sisters,i built mine as wild riders and i usually bring the hurricanum + stormcast mage for hallowhearth lists

• 2 weeks later...

Quick updates... thank you for the suggestion of collapsing the Freeguild Greatswords into a single, 20-model unit. That was a helpful call.

I also changed the Runelord's artefact to the Agloraxi Prism. Keeping the Runelord alive to ensure the Hammerer unit's immunity to Battleshock is important; the Agloraxi Prism, combined with Look Out Sir!, helps deter opportunistic sniping.

Overall, the list is surprisingly competitive and fun. Please let me know if you have any further feedback to share, even if simply to note what strengths you see in it which I could continue to enhance. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have a pretty competitive local scene, which is what I built this list around. A few things, first, 50 points to play with, what to do? I love the synergy between the eternal guard, nomad prince and sisters of thorn, if warding brand and armor of thorns go off, the EG have a chance to do 2 MW per damage taken. looking for any feedback, thanks!                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

List Name: Hallowheart Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - City: Hallowheart

LEADERS:

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280) - Artefact: Agloraxi Prism - Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Warding Brand

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons - City Role: General's Adjutant - Mortal Realm: Hysh

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Crystal Aegis - Mortal Realm: Ghur

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons - Mortal Realm: Azyr

Nomad Prince (120) - General - Command Trait: Famed Spell-hunter - Artefact: Whitefire Tome - Elemental Cyclone

Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage (270) - Lore of Whitefire: Crystal Aegis - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds

UNITS:

30 x Eternal Guard (330)

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Roaming Wildfire

BATTALIONS:

Whitefire Retinue (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS: 

Balewind Vortex (40)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

41 minutes ago, Joffre said:

So, I have a pretty competitive local scene, which is what I built this list around. A few things, first, 50 points to play with, what to do? I love the synergy between the eternal guard, nomad prince and sisters of thorn, if warding brand and armor of thorns go off, the EG have a chance to do 2 MW per damage taken. looking for any feedback, thanks!                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

List Name: Hallowheart Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - City: Hallowheart

LEADERS:

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280) - Artefact: Agloraxi Prism - Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Warding Brand

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons - City Role: General's Adjutant - Mortal Realm: Hysh

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Crystal Aegis - Mortal Realm: Ghur

Battlemage (110) - Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons - Mortal Realm: Azyr

Nomad Prince (120) - General - Command Trait: Famed Spell-hunter - Artefact: Whitefire Tome - Elemental Cyclone

Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage (270) - Lore of Whitefire: Crystal Aegis - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds

UNITS:

30 x Eternal Guard (330)

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130) - Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone - Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Roaming Wildfire

BATTALIONS:

Whitefire Retinue (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS: 

Balewind Vortex (40)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

max 3 endless spells

On 1/20/2020 at 3:34 AM, Nicholunch said:

pic

Is you hurricanum mounted on the back of a KO frigate?  Cool idea.  

Would you share a close up, please?

Im curious about picking one up for Anvilgard, but the original model just doesnt do it for me