AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

17 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

@ProbablyBalthus19

Just about every competitive Hallowheart list is built around a core of wizards and a Celestial Hurricanum. Right now the mix of Wizards is probably looking like the CH, a Knight-Incantor, a Sorceress, and then maybe 1-2 other wizards (possibly a Battlemage, possibly a second Knight-Incantor, possibly a Lord-Arcanum).

Beyond that core of wizards you've got a number of ways of approaching it. Some lists go completely ranged, usually with a mix of crossbows and handgunners. Others take some melee, typically Phoenix Guard.

If you want to stick to wizards and duardin, then your best bet is probably a core of wizards plus a Runelord, some Irondrakes and Longbeards. Irondrakes can function in the place of crossbows/handgunners, but keep in mind that their range is a bit short. They hit really hard though. You will need the Runelord to be your general for battleline reasons most likely. You will definitely want to take Soulscream Bridge in this list.

Another option is to focus on melee, in which case you will want a Warden King and some Hammerers plus Longbeards for screening. The problem here is that your army will be very, very slow. Anything your Hammerers touch will disintegrate though.

Thank you very much for this info. It's extremely helpful. I have a lord arcaum on Tauralon as well. With him being able to cast three spells think he'd be a good general? My only concern with him and the hurricanum is 540 points tied up in just 2 units.

28 minutes ago, ProbablyBalthus19 said:

Thank you very much for this info. It's extremely helpful. I have a lord arcaum on Tauralon as well. With him being able to cast three spells think he'd be a good general? My only concern with him and the hurricanum is 540 points tied up in just 2 units.

Personally I don't think the tauralon is a good option. He has 3 spell casts but his signature spell is not very good and his abilities are mostly irrelevant. You can take a Knight-Incantor and a Lord-Arcanum on foot for 270 points and get 4 spell casts, two cycle of the storm activations, 1 extra wound, 2 signature spells that are actually good, access to a marginally useful command ability and a single use auto-unbind. For me that's a slam dunk of the tauralon.

The tauralon is mobile, but if nothing else in the army is you won't be able to protect him adequately. If you make him the general you lose access to the bodyguard and adjutant rules (plus any other battleline benefits which are often really important, especially if you are trying to avoid using freeguild units).

I think if you want a mobile hero you want to make him as tough as possible, which typically means an Anointed on Frostfire Phoenix. A frostie can actually operate independently to a degree, whereas the tauralon will be a sitting duck.

If you want more magic just take more foot wizards, and if you want a mobile hero take a frostie.

25 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Personally I don't think the tauralon is a good option. He has 3 spell casts but his signature spell is not very good and his abilities are mostly irrelevant. You can take a Knight-Incantor and a Lord-Arcanum on foot for 270 points and get 4 spell casts, two cycle of the storm activations, 1 extra wound, 2 signature spells that are actually good, access to a marginally useful command ability and a single use auto-unbind. For me that's a slam dunk of the tauralon.

The tauralon is mobile, but if nothing else in the army is you won't be able to protect him adequately. If you make him the general you lose access to the bodyguard and adjutant rules (plus any other battleline benefits which are often really important, especially if you are trying to avoid using freeguild units).

I think if you want a mobile hero you want to make him as tough as possible, which typically means an Anointed on Frostfire Phoenix. A frostie can actually operate independently to a degree, whereas the tauralon will be a sitting duck.

If you want more magic just take more foot wizards, and if you want a mobile hero take a frostie.

Well that settles that :D I'll keep using my hurricanum and battlewizards/knight incantor for now and start building up my duardin.

Just now, ProbablyBalthus19 said:

Well that settles that :D I'll keep using my hurricanum and battlewizards/knight incantor for now and start building up my duardin.

Best melee infantry will very likely continue to be Phoenix Guard. Ranged you can use dwarfs, as Irondrakes are pretty good and you can also use a unit of Longbeards.

For other cities, Greatswords might be interesting now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, what do you guys think of this list?

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- City: Hallowheart
LEADERS
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Battlemage (110)
- City Role : General's Adjutant
- Mortal Realm : Ghur
Sorceress (90)
- Artefact : Agloraxi Prism
Anointed (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Warden of the Flame
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Allies
UNITS
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100) - retinue
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Halberds and Shields
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Halberds and Shields
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
- Allies
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Soulscream Bridge (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 131

I'm preparing for a tournament in November. We don't know which battleplans will be used yet so it may be subject to change but I'm open to any comment/

LEADERS
Anointed (100)
- General
- Artefact : Whitefire Tome - Elemental Cyclone
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Whitefire : Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Elemental Cyclone
Battlemage (110)
- Lore of Whitefire : Ignite Weapons 
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Roaming Wildfire
- Mortal Realm : Azyr
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)
- Lore of Whitefire : Crystal Aegis
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Sear Wounds
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Lore of Whitefire : Roaming Wildfire
-  City Role : General's Adjutant
-  Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Warding Brand

UNITS
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)

- City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (90)

BATTALIONS
Whitefire Retinue (140)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)

The goal is obviously to throw a ton of MW at the opponent while the phoenix guards rush the middle of the table to capture the objectives.

I can cast 9 (10 with the vortex) spells each turn. The sorceress will stay in the back protected by her sacrifices bleakswords and will throw MW at the ennemy through the portal.

The battlemage will sit on the vortex and try to use his spell+ roaming wildfire to hit as many units as possible.

The longbeards offer a MSU tankiness and can dispell the gnashing jaws or any other endless spell if needed.

The list has a lot of AoE mortal wounds and is quite tanky but will struggle getting to the opponent (for example if you need to burn objectives) and will have a hard time controling many objectives at the same time.

I thought about adding some shadow warriors but I don't know how to make them fit in the list.

Im unsure how much hallowheart actually needs the whitefire retinue. The command ability already gives so much extra +to cast. You could drop that to get down shadow warriors. You already have quite a few drops so I'm not sure if will actually help you get turn order much. The artifacts also aren't that useful I think. I also think darkshards will be better than bleak swords for some minor shooting for you.

The current core seems to be 

Hurricanum, knight incantor, (2 of 3 of sorceress, battlemage, lord arcanum). 

Most common spells-vortex, spellportal, comet, bridge, sometimes feminists or lufeswarm or something cheap.

Edited by Frowny

4 hours ago, spenson said:

I'm preparing for a tournament in November. We don't know which battleplans will be used yet so it may be subject to change but I'm open to any comment/

LEADERS
Anointed (100)
- General
- Artefact : Whitefire Tome - Elemental Cyclone
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Whitefire : Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Elemental Cyclone
Battlemage (110)
- Lore of Whitefire : Ignite Weapons 
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Roaming Wildfire
- Mortal Realm : Azyr
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)
- Lore of Whitefire : Crystal Aegis
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Sear Wounds
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Lore of Whitefire : Roaming Wildfire
-  City Role : General's Adjutant
-  Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Warding Brand

UNITS
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)

- City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Longbeards (100)
10 x Longbeards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (90)

BATTALIONS
Whitefire Retinue (140)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)

The goal is obviously to throw a ton of MW at the opponent while the phoenix guards rush the middle of the table to capture the objectives.

I can cast 9 (10 with the vortex) spells each turn. The sorceress will stay in the back protected by her sacrifices bleakswords and will throw MW at the ennemy through the portal.

The battlemage will sit on the vortex and try to use his spell+ roaming wildfire to hit as many units as possible.

The longbeards offer a MSU tankiness and can dispell the gnashing jaws or any other endless spell if needed.

The list has a lot of AoE mortal wounds and is quite tanky but will struggle getting to the opponent (for example if you need to burn objectives) and will have a hard time controling many objectives at the same time.

I thought about adding some shadow warriors but I don't know how to make them fit in the list.

What about adding Aetherwings? They are so strong for 40 points. Or Tree Revenants for 80.

And if you want mortal wound spam, I'd also add an Everblaze Comet.

And I'd probably ditch either the Annointed, as you don't need him for the battleline requirements, or a unit of Longbeards and then keep him as the general. 

I'd also increase the 20 PGs to 30.

I'd also ditch the batallion, or change the list so you have fewer drops. Batallion doesn't give you much here.

17 minutes ago, Frowny said:

Im unsure how much hallowheart actually needs the whitefire retinue. The command ability already gives so much extra +to cast. You could drop that to get down shadow warriors. You already have quite a few drops so I'm not sure if will actually help you get turn order much. The artifacts also aren't that useful I think. I also think darkshards will be better than bleak swords for some minor shooting for you.

The current core seems to be 

Hurricanum, knight incantor, (2 of 3 of sorceress, battlemage, lord arcanum). 

Most common spells-vortex, spellportal, comet, bridge, sometimes feminists or lufeswarm or something cheap.

I think that's a wonderful auto correct. Geminids and feminists 😅

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time lurker but never posted, what better place to start than my favorite city

I like the potential of the command ability but can never reconcile the risk of killing one of my wizards, thankfully the anvil has provided a way around this

An Alfe wizard with +3 wounds and regenerate is only 90 points, 

This wizard can likley use the command ability at least twice a game without having to use other forms of healing plus I do like a couple of the anvils spell options (curse of damnation and raise dead would be hard to chose between for me)Could also throw on arcmage and still only be 120 points 

Thoughts on this?

24 minutes ago, Blair said:

Hey guys, long time lurker but never posted, what better place to start than my favorite city

I like the potential of the command ability but can never reconcile the risk of killing one of my wizards, thankfully the anvil has provided a way around this

An Alfe wizard with +3 wounds and regenerate is only 90 points, 

This wizard can likley use the command ability at least twice a game without having to use other forms of healing plus I do like a couple of the anvils spell options (curse of damnation and raise dead would be hard to chose between for me)Could also throw on arcmage and still only be 120 points 

Thoughts on this?

Anvil characters may not be allowed in tournaments, but if you're not playing those it's a great idea! You can always put it on a Celestial Hurricanum or Luminark of Hysh- both with wizards have the required keyword and enough wounds to take the damage. 

• 1 month later...

Going for a list something along these lines; yet to do fine deets like points / equipment but...

Hallowheart allegiance

Nomad Prince as general

Sorceress on Dragon

Sorceress on foot possibly x 2 if I can wangle it

Fleetmaster

Assassin

White Battlemage on Luminark

10 Darkshards

10 Corsairs w handbows

20 Sisters of the Watch x 2

40 Corsairs w blades

5 Sisters of the Thorn x 2

10 Shadow Warriors

10 Executioners

16 Wildwood Rangers

10 tree revenants

Couple of Stormcasty things or maybe a Scourgerunner?

6 Blood Knight Mercs conceivably inc a vamp lord

Presumably given it's Hallowheart some endless spells

How does this vaguely look...?

Edited by Lord of the Isle

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

@spenson I've just started trying out more defensively oriented Hallowheart lists -- different from what you posted but in the same ballpark. Still working on various configurations but I think the idea has real legs.

Hallowheart is in an awkward spot right now. You will have a very hard time against kharadrons, ossiarch, seraphon, lumineth and stormcast. Basically any meta army will get first turn and snipe your heroes. 

The list I made doesn't work anymore. If you want to be competitive you need to have very few drops (2 max) or a way to survive the first turn.  

I have yet to find a way to win against Teclis or 60+ sentinels.

Edited by spenson
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, spenson said:

Hallowheart is in an awkward spot right now. You will have a very hard time against kharadrons, ossiarch, seraphon, lumineth and stormcast. Basically any meta army will get first turn and snipe your heroes. 

The list I made doesn't work anymore. If you want to be competitive you need to have very few drops (2 max) or a way to survive the first turn.  

I have yet to find a way to win against Teclis or 60+ sentinels.

Just out of curiosity how many games have you put in against these opponents?

Yes,new meta are armys that delete heroes at ramged so halowheart is 100% rip for tournamemts.

No way to win vs kroak,teclis,alpha strike  kharadrons,one drop shooty stormcast or bonereapers catapult.

Its a 100% autoloose vs these armys so halowhearth have dissapeard from every top 10 tournament since this new meta.

Rigth now citys only have one viable list and that it is kfc list of karl franz and cavalry

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Just out of curiosity how many games have you put in against these opponents?

I played at least 2 games against each except seraphon (never played yet) and ossiarch (only 1 game that went very wrong because my opponent managed to get like 50% of 6+ FNP and 75% with his gothizzar ).

Lumineth wasn't even funny. I played against a list with Teclis and another one with 70 archers.

On the other hand I had one game against some Ogor (2-3 drop BCR are a pretty good army against the current meta) and it went quite well.

@Doko I think this is a huge exaggeration and I'll provide evidence below.

@spenson that's way too few games to draw firm conclusions. I'm not saying you are wrong, but just that we don't have nearly enough experience to know yet and I'm certainly not discouraged from trying. I haven't gotten any games with Hallowheart vs LRL, Seraphon or KO yet but I hope to get some in soon. That said, I have played these matchups some with armies that are even more vulnerable to this kind of opponent than Hallowheart. I have a bunch of games with a Tempest Eye 3-4 runelord Ironbreaker lists against LRL and some games with OWC 3-4 wardokk lists against LRL and other similar opponents.

Each of those two lists relies heavily on 3-4 5 wound heroes with minimal defense against mortal wounds (a 6+ after save at best), and although I generally lost these matches I was able to keep the games fairly close.

Hallowheart has a bunch of advantages vs these other lists. Even one or two casters can still get a lot of work done, and you can protect your general with honored retinue for at least a little while. You've got the 6+ shrug from the Luminark and you also have the 5+ spell ignore. Those two things makes it much less likely for your heroes to get wiped out in one (or even two) turns.

Teclis is a tough problem for sure, but the worst thing he can really do on turn 1 is Storm of Searing White Light. He can only send one spell through spellportal, so it's going to be tough for him to really stack damage up until later turns. Between the 6+ shrug and 5+ spell ignore, SoSWL will only do a little more than 1 wound on average to each hero.

Kroak is a similar situation. He just can't do that much to you on turn 1 if you deploy properly unless the dice go horribly against you. You should be able to zone the Skinks and Salamanders off your heroes for at least a turn.

OBR catapults are a bit of a different animal. They will kill Sorceresses and Battlemages in one go pretty easily (assuming 4 attacks they will average 6.17 wounds). They will also do the same amount of average damage against Sisters of the Thorn, which is not enough to reduce the unit to non-wizard status. Against the Knight-Incantor they will only do an average of 2.47 wounds. The average against the luminark is 5.55 wounds. And of course you can cut the numbers in half against the general (assuming it's a foot wizard). Agloraxi Prism can help as well. All of these numbers assume no cover either. After the first turn their shooting gets MUCH worse because of the sheer number of hit maluses that you can dish out. Even if they take 4 crawlers they are going to have a hard time killing all of your heroes on turn 1, and if you want to nudge this matchup in your favor you can err more on the side of taking SCE wizards. Regardless though even if they do kill your heroes in the first couple of turns a quad crawler build is going to have a lot less killing power against stuff like Phoenix Guard, so you may still be able to win on points.

Sentinel spam lists will undoubtedly be hard to crack. I'm not going to deny that. But I suspect such lists will have real problems with parts of the meta and I'm not sure that we will be seeing them that often.

Shootcast seems to me like it will play out a lot like the OBR matchup but I'm not certain.

Anyway, this is all theorycraft and I'll need to get a lot of games in before I really settle on any firm conclusions.

I'll also note that some of the lists I've drawn up are substantially different from yours (and from each-other), and I could see some of the changes materially impacting these matchups.

• Like 2

Just wanted to post a quick update. I've gotten three games in using three different (but relatively similar) Hallowheart builds. One was vs. Legion of Chaos ascendant and two were against Fangs of Sotek Kroak lists. The game against LoCA felt like a very favorable matchup. I did have solid luck managing to shrug two 6mw spells on my Incantor, but even if I had failed I think the game would have been in my favor.

I lost both games against Kroak, but I left with the sense that the matchup is very winnable. Throughout both matches basically everything that could go wrong did. In both matches I made major deployment errors. In the first one I was mistaken about the opponent's drop count (he told me the wrong number) and deployed with the idea of having the turn choice when in fact I didn't. I also could have had the drop choice by choosing to drop first (which I of course would have done had I realized we had the same drop count instead of him being at +1). In the second match he got to take the board edge with the Realmshaper Engine but I of course promptly forgot what the damn thing does and then remembered part way through deployment. I had to either leave a large unit vulnerable to battleshock or allow him to hit basically all of my heroes with the engine because there was a huge terrain feature in my deployment zone. If I hadn't been so dumb about this I'd have been starting from a better position.

Across both games combined I managed to fail every single spell shrug against Stellar Tempest and rolled over 2 only one time for my command ability, and even that time I only got +3. I also consistently rolled poorly on key spells. I only got spell portal off on a good roll once, and my opponent rolled an unmodified 11 to unbind it XD. I also lost all turn priority rolls in both games except the final roll of the second game, and by that point I was already conceding as I didn't have time to continue and the game while not completely out of reach was a long shot for me. In that game I had just had a unit of two salamanders take out my Luminark (with Agloraxi Prism!) that was at 10/11 after shooting it and then nailing the 9" charge.

Overall though despite the bad rolling my general predictions were accurate. I never felt like my heroes were threatened on turn 1, and I only lost the Luminark on turn 2 that one game because I was aggressive with it and got unlucky. Kroak was only threatening because of Stellar Tempest, and that went about as badly as it could have for me. The one time I was in range to auto-unbind it I confused myself into unbinding the wrong spell, and like I said before I failed all my spell shrugs. And twice it dealt 20 mortal wounds when an average roll was 13.

I was able to screen my heroes effectively against shooting on turn 1, and by the time turn 2 rolled around I had been able to dish out enough hit maluses/kill enough support heroes that the Skink blocks were not really much of a threat to my heroes. The main problem was that those Stellar Tempests and the lack of my resolving any cyclones meant that I was getting out bodied pretty quickly. But that could have easily gone the other way, or been more even and in either case I think I would probably have been ahead especially if I hadn't compounded my poor luck with loads of mistakes.

2 games is still a tiny sample, but I feel slightly more confident now that the matchup vs Kroak is very winnable.

A few more game results --

Against gore pilgrims Khorne on Forcing the Hand:  very lopsided in Hallowheart's favor. Not going to make much of this.

Against 2x Mortek Crawler Mortis Praetorians OBR on Battle for the Pass: also lopsided in Hallowheart's favor, although some of this was a result of poor rolling from my opponent early in the game.

I'm definitely not going to claim that the OBR matchup is easy based on the results of that game, but again I think it validated my impressions that the matchup is very winnable. I honestly never felt like my heroes were all that threatened. I'm sure he could have splattered my Sorceress but I could have lived with that.

• Like 1

Another game in last night against Changehost on shifting objectives. He was running LoC, 6 flamers, 2x3 flamers, 2x10 pinks, changeling, blue scribes,  herald, and geminids. Eternal Conflagration. Ended with a convincing victory for Hallowheart. Rolls were pretty even with each of us getting our fair share of bad and good. Again, shouldn't make too much of one game but I do think that it at least provides evidence against the notion that this matchup is somehow an "auto loss".

• Like 1

It is a fact at tournament lvl where players both have top lists,top skills etc the numbers show that hallowheart have dissapeared from the top 10.

Only the list of karl franz and cavalry show in the top 10

Everyone can post here and says that i win with this or that but nobody cares low lvl games or casuals, at tournaments is a fact that hallowheart is dead

It is obvious that it was a exageration says 100% autoloose because it is imposible,but at tournament level are hard matchups that likely are lost and it is the reason that hallowhearts cant get to top 10 anymore because it cant win 5 games in a row due to all these likely lost machups that moreover are all meta armys.

Edited by Doko

@Doko I'm playing against serious competitive players from around the world. Not just local club games. And your assertion that "nobody cares low lvl games" is plainly not true. The vast majority of people who play this game aren't top table GT level players. You may not care about anything but those results, but you don't speak for the entire community.

Furthermore, the major tournament scene is a mess right now. There just isn't that much data for high level tournament results since the pandemic started. There are fewer events drawing fewer players. Hallowheart may not be making top 10s because fewer players are playing Hallowheart. That could be because people see the army as not good enough or it could be that other armies are just more in fashion. Even super high level players don't just pick the faction that they think is most OP. Many top tournament players also choose the factions that they like. They also will frequently move on to a new faction if they are bored with the one they have been playing.

Even when Hallowheart was doing really well it didn't see a whole lot of play, and that certainly wasn't because it wasn't good enough at the time.

If your only metric for what lists are worth trying/playing is the lists that have already gone 5-0 at a GT, then you're basically only ever going to be copying a very narrow subset of other peoples lists until the end of time. I'm not interested in doing that (although I'm not above doing to sometimes either, I like a balance personally!)

As an aside, I think the whole "4-1" list concept is largely a myth. In my opinion there are two kinds of "5-0" lists:

• Obviously broken lists that managed to make it to publication
  • "4-1" lists that either get lucky or are piloted by a highly skilled player

To me there is absolutely no point in the former category unless you will still want to play that faction when it gets nerfed, because it will get nerfed. If you are lucky you will be left with a "4-1" army, and if you are unlucky your former broken OP top dog list will be unplayable. I don't know about you but it takes me a while to build, paint and practice with a list. It's not worth the investment for at best 6 months of tournament advantage if I'm not going to want to play the army once it gets nerfed.

So that leaves with the latter category: play a good list, accept that it has bad matchups, and focus on developing your skill. You can 5-0 by being better than your opponents, getting lucky with the dice or getting lucky in drawing favorable matchups. Similarly, you can bomb by making mistakes, rolling poorly, or drawing bad matchups.

There really is no way around this problem. There are no lists that will make up for a lack of skill at the top tables of a GT, and no lists that are immune to poor matchup/dice luck.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, swarmofseals said:

A few more game results --

Against gore pilgrims Khorne on Forcing the Hand:  very lopsided in Hallowheart's favor. Not going to make much of this.

Against 2x Mortek Crawler Mortis Praetorians OBR on Battle for the Pass: also lopsided in Hallowheart's favor, although some of this was a result of poor rolling from my opponent early in the game.

I'm definitely not going to claim that the OBR matchup is easy based on the results of that game, but again I think it validated my impressions that the matchup is very winnable. I honestly never felt like my heroes were all that threatened. I'm sure he could have splattered my Sorceress but I could have lived with that.

What's the list you are rolling with recently?