AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

Hi, noob question. 

Does a Stormcast benefit from Whitefire Retinue? 

Because I have read information it doesn't work. Maybe you can point me to an FAQ. I don't own or play the army/Battletome tho. 

Edited by Xil

13 minutes ago, Xil said:

Hi, noob question. 

Does a Stormcast benefit from Whitefire Retinue? 

Because I have read information it doesn't work. Maybe you can point me to an FAQ. I don't own or play the army/Battletome tho. 

Yes.  Because stormcast specifically gain the Cities of Sigmar keyword as well as the city keyword, they are a part of the city and can join the battalion.

Only other wizards

”You can use this command ability once per turn at the start of your hero phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly Hallowheart Wizard Hero and roll a dice. That Wizard suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to that roll. In addition, until the start of your next hero phase, add the number of mortal wounds suffered by that Wizard and not negated to casting rolls made by other friendly Hallowheart Wizards while they are within 12" of that Wizard.”

Hi guys, 

Building up to 2k from my old empire so no scourgerunnerchariot spam or phoenix guard. I still want to make a good list out of what I got so I post this here in hope of geting some feedback what to do better? 

Strategy in this list is quite simple: balewind vortex+roaming wildfire, ever blaze comet, umbral spell portal+elemental syclone for first hero phase mortal wounds,

followed by soulscream bridged crossbows and handgunners boosted by hurricanum and hold the line..

Also hurricanum and shadow warriors shoot.. Halberdiers run behind main force.. When enemy gets close, survivors use soulscream bridge to back off behind halberdiers.. 

Hallowheart.pdf

10 hours ago, KW2019 said:

Hi guys, 

Building up to 2k from my old empire so no scourgerunnerchariot spam or phoenix guard. I still want to make a good list out of what I got so I post this here in hope of geting some feedback what to do better? 

Strategy in this list is quite simple: balewind vortex+roaming wildfire, ever blaze comet, umbral spell portal+elemental syclone for first hero phase mortal wounds,

followed by soulscream bridged crossbows and handgunners boosted by hurricanum and hold the line..

Also hurricanum and shadow warriors shoot.. Halberdiers run behind main force.. When enemy gets close, survivors use soulscream bridge to back off behind halberdiers.. 

Hallowheart.pdf 1.03 MB · 11 downloads

What other units do you have?

I've ran a very similar build as yours before. What I've concluded. Not that fond of the batallion, since the drop count didn't matter that much nor the artifact. Issue is you do run a Freeguild general so you might need it. I ended up changing to SotW for that reason. 

Not that fond of the Knight Incantor and comet either. Did do some crash things but did it help in the difficult games? Nah not really. 

To help you, what units do you have?

4 hours ago, Rune said:

What other units do you have?

I've ran a very similar build as yours before. What I've concluded. Not that fond of the batallion, since the drop count didn't matter that much nor the artifact. Issue is you do run a Freeguild general so you might need it. I ended up changing to SotW for that reason. 

Not that fond of the Knight Incantor and comet either. Did do some crash things but did it help in the difficult games? Nah not really. 

To help you, what units do you have?

Iron weld arsenal artillery, melee freeguild infantry, outriders, flagelants, wizards, empire knights, evocators, sequitors, archers for shadow warriors, and idoneth deepkin for allies.. im willing to make some purchases of needed.

I was thinking of a version without freeguild general, replaced with more shadow warriors. Or a version with evocators and sequistors where sequistors empower both units.

Also thought about removing incantor and comet to replace with sorceress and 10 bleakswords for sacrifice. 

2 hours ago, KW2019 said:

Iron weld arsenal artillery, melee freeguild infantry, outriders, flagelants, wizards, empire knights, evocators, sequitors, archers for shadow warriors, and idoneth deepkin for allies.. im willing to make some purchases of needed.

I was thinking of a version without freeguild general, replaced with more shadow warriors. Or a version with evocators and sequistors where sequistors empower both units.

Also thought about removing incantor and comet to replace with sorceress and 10 bleakswords for sacrifice. 

Stick to the flair with the general. However, a Frostfire Phoenix and Phoenix guards should probably be your first investment.

I would remove the Knight Incantor and Comet. I'd get the horde discount on the Freeguild guard by going for 40. Also great for warding brand.

I'd also change the 2 shadow warriors to 2 Tree Revenants. They can teleport every round, which is critical in a build like yours to move around the map easier.

I'd go 30 Handgunners and 30 Crossbowmen, probably not worry about not having a retinue. 

I'd remove the batallion, and change that for another wizard and a command point. You'll have 3 wizards, they could have Phas Protection, Transmutation of Lead, and Wildform/shield of Thorns.

I'd get Geminids, portal, bridge and, a fourth of your choice (purple sun or Balewind probably best).

I am starting a hallowheart army, and I am trying to figure out the best way to use hand gunners and crossbowmen? Do these units need to be buffed and chaff walled? I assume they are hard to play because to get the buffs they cannot move? 

6 hours ago, Mace108 said:

I am starting a hallowheart army, and I am trying to figure out the best way to use hand gunners and crossbowmen? Do these units need to be buffed and chaff walled? I assume they are hard to play because to get the buffs they cannot move? 

Almost all shooters are better when not having moved. 

If you're using Handgunners you don't need screens, they are a screen in themselves. You can use them with the Hurricanum and ignite weapons to get them to 2+/2+. Use a Soulscream Bridge go get them in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I just posted something similar in the Tempests Eye discussion ( so apologies if it seems familiar), but I am relatively new to CoS and have been trying to design my starting list. I think I have narrowed it down to Tempests Eye and Hallowheart so tried to make a starting list that shares many of the same units so I can switch between cities. Here is what I came up with:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells
- Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Crystal Aegis
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Warding Brand
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Elemental Cyclone
- City Role: General's Adjutant
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Roaming Wildfire
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (420)

The spells are by no means set in stone and I could actually use some help determining who should take what. I figured this could give me a lot of really solid shooting and spells while the Greatswords hold the line as best as they can. Obviously Phoenix Guard could be substituted for this purpose as well. Any help as to whether this looks like it might have teeth and if it would be effective on the table would be most appreciated! :)

5 hours ago, Rogue Sun said:

Hey everyone, I just posted something similar in the Tempests Eye discussion ( so apologies if it seems familiar), but I am relatively new to CoS and have been trying to design my starting list. I think I have narrowed it down to Tempests Eye and Hallowheart so tried to make a starting list that shares many of the same units so I can switch between cities. Here is what I came up with:

Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells
- Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Crystal Aegis
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade
Battlemage (90)
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Warding Brand
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Elemental Cyclone
- City Role: General's Adjutant
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (420)

The spells are by no means set in stone and I could actually use some help determining who should take what. I figured this could give me a lot of really solid shooting and spells while the Greatswords hold the line as best as they can. Obviously Phoenix Guard could be substituted for this purpose as well. Any help as to whether this looks like it might have teeth and if it would be effective on the table would be most appreciated! :)

Its a list.  However, a few things to look at.

First off, you are bringing a sorceress without any darkling coven units.  I would not recommend this, because she doesn't have a way to get a casting bonus outside of the command point, while all your battlemages will be getting +1 if they are near the hurricanum.  I would recommend swapping her for either another battlemage, or a stormcast caster.  A battlemage gives you another caster with a +1 near the hurricanum, and it isn't like you are repeating the warscroll spell with them either.  A knight-incantor gives you a much tankier caster who comes with a once per game auto-dispel, while a Lord-Arcanum gives you someone who can cast an Empowered Arcane bolt (which will always do d3 damage, but can sometimes do d6).

Next up, you are bringing sisters of the watch.  If you read their warscroll again, you will notice that they get extra shots if they don't move.  However, you have no way to get them in range outside of moving.  Because of this, I would advise you either look into an alternative shooting unit, or look at bringing the Soulscream Bridge so you can re-setup (doesn't count as a move) with it to get your sisters in range.

Third, greatswords.  While greatswords are great hammer units, and one of the killiest melee infantry available, they are only 30 wounds with a 4+ save.  They also only have 6 bravery.  To get a good use out of them, they really, really need a screen so that they aren't the first thing that your opponent hits when they come racing at you.  However, in this army, they are functioning AS the screen, which is really, really expensive.  If you want an elite unit to screen with, swap them out for Phoenix Guard (effectively 60 wounds with a 4+ save) and bring the Emerald Lifeswarm to make them really annoying.  Or if you are just looking for a screen for your sisters, look at running freeguild guard, as you will get more wounds at far fewer points to prevent your opponents from getting too close to your sisters/mages.

Lastly, you aren't running any endless spells.  Especially in Hallowheart, it really benefits you to consider running several, like the Umbral Spellportal, or the Emerald Lifeswarm, or the Soulscream Bridge.  And you even have 6 casters with 2 casts per turn who can cast it too.  Take a look at those again and decide if any would improve your gameplan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all :)

I've started work on a Hallowheart army whilst in isolation and wanted some help with getting a rough 1000pts list up and running.

So far I own/will own soon:-

• Battlemages x 2
  • Sorceress x 2
  • Phoenix Guard x 10
  • Freeguild Guard x 10
  • Darkshards x 10
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 10
  • Hurricanum x 1
  • Shadow Warriors x 10
  • Sisters of the Thorn x 5
  • Knight-Incantor
  • Lord-Arcanum
  • Malign Sorcery
  • SCE Endless Spells

Any ideas on the must have units? 

I'm thinking of a Battlemage, Sorceress + Knight-Incantor for the heroes + Shooty units for battleline, then some Phoenix Guard for some resistance. Then maybe a few endless spells to round it off?

17 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Hey all :)

I've started work on a Hallowheart army whilst in isolation and wanted some help with getting a rough 1000pts list up and running.

So far I own/will own soon:-

• Battlemages x 2
  • Sorceress x 2
  • Phoenix Guard x 10
  • Freeguild Guard x 10
  • Darkshards x 10
  • Freeguild Handgunners x 10
  • Hurricanum x 1
  • Shadow Warriors x 10
  • Sisters of the Thorn x 5
  • Knight-Incantor
  • Lord-Arcanum
  • Malign Sorcery
  • SCE Endless Spells

Any ideas on the must have units? 

I'm thinking of a Battlemage, Sorceress + Knight-Incantor for the heroes + Shooty units for battleline, then some Phoenix Guard for some resistance. Then maybe a few endless spells to round it off?

Soulscream Bridge

30 shooters (personal preference SotW)

20 additional Phoenix Guards

Perhaps a unit of Tree Revenants 

Perhaps a Nomad Prince and an annointed (for different lists)

Edit: didn't notice that it was 1k list. Honestly don't know then

Edited by Rune

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone think that the eternal guard from wanderers are a good unit to try when combined with Hallowheart? They don’t have the ward save of the Phoenix guard, but they have some really good armor saves and can provide a fairly good screen. Anyone try it out?

also, made an (almost) all Cavalry list for hallowheart, and wanted to share because I think it looks fun. May not be good, but it looks fun! All spells are subject to change if needs be, but I think I have enough magic to be annoying, plus a big hammer in the form of evocators on dracolines and a bunch of wild riders. Had to give the thermalrider cloak to the nomad prince to allow him to keep up too. Also can change shadow warriors with pistolers just for some added fun.

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy - City: Hallowheart
LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (320)
- Lore of Whitefire : Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Roaming Wildfire

Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)
 - Lore of Whitefire : Ignite Weapons
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Warding Brand

Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Warden of the Flame - Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak

UNITS
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (520)

- Lore of Whitefire : Elemental Cyclone
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Ignite Weapons

- Lore of Whitefire : Elemental Cyclone
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell : Roaming Wildfire

10 x Wild Riders (260)

5 x Wild Riders (130)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Edited by Acid_Nine

• 1 month later...

With the latest news Hallowheart armies must adapt to new times... Battlemages may go up in points (still not sure until the pdf is out), but today someone posted images of endless spells, and soulscream bridge is up from 80 to 100 points (an we will only cast 3 endless spells).

Any thoughts?

16 hours ago, japaricio said:

With the latest news Hallowheart armies must adapt to new times... Battlemages may go up in points (still not sure until the pdf is out), but today someone posted images of endless spells, and soulscream bridge is up from 80 to 100 points (an we will only cast 3 endless spells).

Any thoughts?

Hard to say at this point. Depends what other changes comes about. Depends also on what other meta changes there are.

Everblaze comet against Tzeencth/Seraphon is great for instance, but not worth its points against Orruk lists.

It could mean a more close combat focused Hallowheart list. Phoenix Guard and Phoenixes. Lifeswarm, Geminids, Palisade would be good endless spells for that.

But if other points drop, it could still mean bridge + portal + Comet. With shooting heavy lists.

18 hours ago, Rune said:

Hard to say at this point. Depends what other changes comes about. Depends also on what other meta changes there are.

Everblaze comet against Tzeencth/Seraphon is great for instance, but not worth its points against Orruk lists.

It could mean a more close combat focused Hallowheart list. Phoenix Guard and Phoenixes. Lifeswarm, Geminids, Palisade would be good endless spells for that.

But if other points drop, it could still mean bridge + portal + Comet. With shooting heavy lists.

We may see the use of Gyrocopters to support our lines in certains matchups? I mean, even using Phonenixes me may struggle capturing objectives. We may stay with our Phoenix Guard in an objective for a long period of time with a good suport and re-rolls from Phoenix, but it leaves a lot of the table open and a lot of points in an objective.

What would you say for a Meeting Engagement a list like this:

Spearhead
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

Main Body
Knight-Incantor (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Warden of the Flame
- Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds
Freeguild General (100)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells
- City Role: General's Adjutant
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Swords and Shields

Rearguard
Battlemage (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Ignite Weapons
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds
- City Role: General's Adjutant
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 65

I think it's better to run the freeguild general to buff my handgunners, better than an anointed running with the PG. I would play a defensive role around my core of handgunners protected by freeguild guard, and behind them the freeguild general, the battlemage and the knight-incantor. And the my PG would do the offensive role suported by magic (both offensive and defensive).

The Endless Spells I think that are the ones that mostly fit this army, one to heal the PG, and the other one to bother my opponent's advance towards my handgunners.

I tried many Cities-lists in Meeting Engagements and found out the hard way, that lists like yours tend to be too slow for that format. I tried a similar list with a hurricanum and PG and until i reached and secured a target, my opponent had all of the other targets. ME is even more about movement than pitched battles - especially because you do not have as many turns as in pitched battle games. You have to think about what kind of spells you want to speak in the turns your mages arrive, because in the beginning you often do not have targets in range or defensive spells that make sense - keep in mind that if in your first turn everything is out of range you do not have many hero-phases left to cast. Also you are gonna get problems especially against other armies with a lot of flyers or armys that can port or summon. You do not have a single fast unit and lets be honest: 10 guard aren't gonna do much against anything so the only unit to threaten other targets is your PG. Also you are gonna need to move your gunners, which reduces their shooting-power drastically - keep that in mind.

In my lists I try to reduce the rearguard to a minimun (aetherwings for example) and try to get 2 fast moving (best flying) units into the spearhead to secure 2 targets in the first turn if possible.

And if i remember correctly, ME allows only one endless spell.

There is an own thread about "ME with cities of sigmar" - if you change your list you can also post it there to get feedback especially for ME-Games.

Hope i could help 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just diving into AoS and Cities of Sigmar. I like wizardy stuff and have played maybe 5 games with Stormcast eternals. They are ..not good right now. I am starting a Hallowheart Army but struggling on where to go with it. I like dwarfs, and I like magic. I realize the two don't go together but this is what I have so far =:

Celestial Hurricanum with Mage. 

4 battle wizards 

Tons of SCE heroes to choose from: Arcanum on gryph, incantor, Arcanum on tauralon

Battleline and Other are where I am struggling. I currently have 10 Longbeards, and 10 Ironbreakers. I'd like to stay away from the terribly ugly Freeguild models, and was thinking of getting 10 irondrakes. 

Stormcast models I have 10 evocators, 3 on dracoline (I like these). Some longstrikes etc etc

I still need to buy endless spells etc, but that's what I got to work with. Any suggestions? Tons of hammerers etc?

Edited by ProbablyBalthus19

@ProbablyBalthus19

Just about every competitive Hallowheart list is built around a core of wizards and a Celestial Hurricanum. Right now the mix of Wizards is probably looking like the CH, a Knight-Incantor, a Sorceress, and then maybe 1-2 other wizards (possibly a Battlemage, possibly a second Knight-Incantor, possibly a Lord-Arcanum).

Beyond that core of wizards you've got a number of ways of approaching it. Some lists go completely ranged, usually with a mix of crossbows and handgunners. Others take some melee, typically Phoenix Guard.

If you want to stick to wizards and duardin, then your best bet is probably a core of wizards plus a Runelord, some Irondrakes and Longbeards. Irondrakes can function in the place of crossbows/handgunners, but keep in mind that their range is a bit short. They hit really hard though. You will need the Runelord to be your general for battleline reasons most likely. You will definitely want to take Soulscream Bridge in this list.

Another option is to focus on melee, in which case you will want a Warden King and some Hammerers plus Longbeards for screening. The problem here is that your army will be very, very slow. Anything your Hammerers touch will disintegrate though.