AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! What a city! I just played my first game and it was awesome. So much fun! I'm a Tempest's Eye city mainly but wanted to try this one out. I saw some great ideas on your posts here and put together a list that packed a PUNCH! I was able to table Slaanesh by round 3. Things just went amazing.

Take aways:

The Hurricanum/Luminark combo was sweet! +1/+1 for casting. That 30" laser is nice, the buffs are nice, and the beefy wizards to mine for casting bonus is great. Gave the luminark the Aqshy artefact to regain wounds on d3 at end of Combat. Kept him at 0 the entire game. 

List:

Hurricanum
Luminark - cleansing brooch
Knight Incantor - general
Battlemage - Chamon, HH artefact with all spells
Battlemage - Hysh

20 Handgunners
10 Handgunners
10 Longbeards
20 Irondrakes

Everblaze Comet
Quicksilver Swords
Umbral Spell Portals
Soulscream Bridge

Hallowheart Battalion

Ran a total of 30 handgunners together to provide screens for my wizards. Ran 20 irondrakes and 10 longbeards with Hurricanum and bridges for a teleporting death squad. Ran 2 battle mages, 1 knight incantor, and luminark as my mage bunker with a comet, quicksilver swords, and spell portals. 

Everything just worked out so good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicholunch said:

Whew! What a city! I just played my first game and it was awesome. So much fun! I'm a Tempest's Eye city mainly but wanted to try this one out. I saw some great ideas on your posts here and put together a list that packed a PUNCH! I was able to table Slaanesh by round 3. Things just went amazing.

Take aways:

The Hurricanum/Luminark combo was sweet! +1/+1 for casting. That 30" laser is nice, the buffs are nice, and the beefy wizards to mine for casting bonus is great. Gave the luminark the Aqshy artefact to regain wounds on d3 at end of Combat. Kept him at 0 the entire game. 

List:

Hurricanum
Luminark - cleansing brooch
Knight Incantor - general
Battlemage - Chamon, HH artefact with all spells
Battlemage - Hysh

20 Handgunners
10 Handgunners
10 Longbeards
20 Irondrakes

Everblaze Comet
Quicksilver Swords
Umbral Spell Portals
Soulscream Bridge

Hallowheart Battalion

Ran a total of 30 handgunners together to provide screens for my wizards. Ran 20 irondrakes and 10 longbeards with Hurricanum and bridges for a teleporting death squad. Ran 2 battle mages, 1 knight incantor, and luminark as my mage bunker with a comet, quicksilver swords, and spell portals. 

Welcome to the other side mate! 

Where can I find that artifact, seems to be different ones listed in 1d4chan

Edited by Rune

3 hours ago, Rune said:

Welcome to the other side mate! 

Where can I find that artifact, seems to be different ones listed in 1d4chan

Thanks!

It's a once per battle, heal d3 after combat. Aqshy relic. Should be on id4chan. Search aqshy artifacts.

I didn't realize it was once per game until I played with it. Not ideal, but saved me one cast for that round.

Edited by Nicholunch

20 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I'm assuming it's cast through the Portal.

No, he mentioned casting Elemental Fury through the portal and portal is one spell per turn anyway. I think I figured it out though -- it's the balewind's +6" plus extra gained by the way you set up the balewind. This does make it a bit harder to screen the caster against a first turn attack but it should be doable if you are very precise with positioning. 

• Like 2

Just a quick question for my fellow CoS players, this time regarding the magic. 

Being someone who up till this point avoided using endless spells like the plague. I came to appreciate them a little bit when paired with Hallowheart as it makes it extremely easy to pull them off, plus with the multicasting bonus you go for multiple per turn while still slinging your usual spell without a care in the world.

Now this is where I am a bit confused, but which Endless spells can I pick ?

CoS gets access to the Neutral ones (Vortex and Pendulum), and depending on the City you get to choose also Ghyran or Aqshy > Emerald swarm or Burning head.

Since your city must be from one of the two realms, do you get the option to take them even if you are not playing with Malign Portents rules and are not using any Realm as your battlefield ?

This is not an issue with army specific spells (example Beastmen get their 3 spells regardless of Realm as long as they pay for them), but since CoS does the whole thing differently I am a bit confused as how to go around this.

Since I have to pay points for them pre-game, it means I can always take the 2 neutral ones and then one from Aqshy or Ghyran depending on the city correct ? So I cant bring spells from lets say Hysh or Ulgu, even if I pay points for them, if we are not playing in the realm of Hysh or Ulgu ?

I am asking this in this thread, because I drafted some lists for Hallowheart that use bunch Wizards and endless spells, since this City is perfect for that, but found myself stumbling on the legality of this due to rules/mechanical part.

Again, please forgive my question, if it sounds noobish, but as mentioned above. up till this point I have always, always excluded the Endless spells from my lists, regardless of which army I played, simply because I didnt like the idea of it (those who lived through 8th Ed WFB know just how OP magic used to be, and it left a bad aftertaste even now)

Edited by Myrdin

29 minutes ago, Maturin said:

@Myrdin You can play all the generic endless spells + SCE spells if you've got a SCE caster, and I suppose it works for Sylvaneth too since you can have those in Living city.

Where exactly is this written ? Would prefer to know where to point at, in case my opponent is asking about a proof that I can do that.

Page63: AMPLIFIED SORCERIES only says the spells are empowered regardless of from where they are from

WARRIORS OF THE REALMS - does mention Malign Sorcery, but nothing about you taking any of the basic realm spells.

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

Just a quick question for my fellow CoS players, this time regarding the magic. 

Being someone who up till this point avoided using endless spells like the plague. I came to appreciate them a little bit when paired with Hallowheart as it makes it extremely easy to pull them off, plus with the multicasting bonus you go for multiple per turn while still slinging your usual spell without a care in the world.

Now this is where I am a bit confused, but which Endless spells can I pick ?

CoS gets access to the Neutral ones (Vortex and Pendulum), and depending on the City you get to choose also Ghyran or Aqshy > Emerald swarm or Burning head.

Since your city must be from one of the two realms, do you get the option to take them even if you are not playing with Malign Portents rules and are not using any Realm as your battlefield ?

This is not an issue with army specific spells (example Beastmen get their 3 spells regardless of Realm as long as they pay for them), but since CoS does the whole thing differently I am a bit confused as how to go around this.

Since I have to pay points for them pre-game, it means I can always take the 2 neutral ones and then one from Aqshy or Ghyran depending on the city correct ? So I cant bring spells from lets say Hysh or Ulgu, even if I pay points for them, if we are not playing in the realm of Hysh or Ulgu ?

I am asking this in this thread, because I drafted some lists for Hallowheart that use bunch Wizards and endless spells, since this City is perfect for that, but found myself stumbling on the legality of this due to rules/mechanical part.

Again, please forgive my question, if it sounds noobish, but as mentioned above. up till this point I have always, always excluded the Endless spells from my lists, regardless of which army I played, simply because I didnt like the idea of it (those who lived through 8th Ed WFB know just how OP magic used to be, and it left a bad aftertaste even now)

You don't have to limit yourself to realm specific endless spells. 

All your wizards can cast all the endless spells from malign sorcery (and forbidden Power). Only one endless spell per wizard Per turn though.

Other endless spells requires a wizard with specific keywords. Such as SCE endless spells can only be cast by SCE wizards.

Edited by Rune
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Where exactly is this written ? Would prefer to know where to point at, in case my opponent is asking about a proof that I can do that.

Page63: AMPLIFIED SORCERIES only says the spells are empowered regardless of from where they are from

WARRIORS OF THE REALMS - does mention Malign Sorcery, but nothing about you taking any of the basic realm spells.

Normally, Endless Spells can only be empowered if you play on their very realm. CoS wiazards always sling their empowered version regardless of you playing in a realm or not! That's the power of COS.
Realm spells are only available to you if you play in a realm.

4 hours ago, Myrdin said:

See Malign Sorcery, Forbidden Power, and Cities of Sigmar allegiance abilities.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:32 PM, Nicholunch said:

If you have the time, could describe your whole game ? Do you have pictures ? I'd like to understand how you weren't wiped out of the board T1 (Slanesh can charge T1, right ?). With the units you took, against a charging Maw Crusha+GG, you'd have been in a very bad shape.

40 minutes ago, Maturin said:

If you have the time, could describe your whole game ? Do you have pictures ? I'd like to understand how you weren't wiped out of the board T1 (Slanesh can charge T1, right ?). With the units you took, against a charging Maw Crusha+GG, you'd have been in a very bad shape.

Wouldn't it be possible to just screen it out?

Put 20 of the Handgunners up front and sacrifice them.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

And they do get to Overwatch on the charging unit as well, which is not insignificant either as that pretty much equals to a whole round of shooting. With good rolls unit of 20 firing could theoretically wipe a Mawcrusha in overwatch no ?

4 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

And they do get to Overwatch on the charging unit as well, which is not insignificant either as that pretty much equals to a whole round of shooting. With good rolls unit of 20 firing could theoretically wipe a Mawcrusha in overwatch no ?

Unlikely as they will be hitting and wounding on 3s. 

They only get rend-1. A maw Crusha can be 2+. I had the case, 20 HG fired upon a charging MC. I did unsaved 3wounds :(

On 1/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, Maturin said:

On 1/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, Rune said:

On 1/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, Myrdin said:

Sorry for the delay in responding...

I ran against Slaanesh and marauder spam in 2018 Focal Points. So my screens mostly just had to deny them from taking my objectives and get too many points. I bunkered my beards and drakes to the back end of one objective and the handgunners on the back end of the other. It was positioned enough so that they couldn't teleport or setup inside my territory. The wizards in the backfield. 

If I was running against ironjawz, I'd take my handgunners and screen across my territory. I've been charged enough first turn to let them in to close with their 2" piggy and maw range attacks. Let the handgunners stand and shoot and won't care if they die. Their job will be to forgo a massive charge. If I am made to go first turn...that's trickier cuz then I'm susceptible to a double turn. So a second screen would be needed on setup, just over 3" behind. I'd need to do nothing turn 1 but cast as much into their area to soften the blow...or send my irondrakes out wide to create two fronts for them to choose from. 

That's kind of what I did against Slaanesh. Turn 1 he couldn't reach my units without an amazing charge roll. (10-12") So he took the center objecting and moved everything up. Screen his keepers with 60 marauders across the front. I went bottom of turn 1 and spread my duardin out a little wider to make slaanesh choose which way they went. Took out 55/60 marauders first turn with spells and shooting and battleshock. Didn't get the double. Longbeards barely hung on enough to keep from a 2 keeper charge to my duardin. Very surprised at that. Went bottom of round 2 and did lots more spell attacks. Bridged out to an objective, shot off sylleske, a chariot, 2 keepers. Got the double round 3 and took the board.  

Setup pic

setup.jpg.7370c42c1c0434d5519252ab4be59432.jpg

end of turn 1

1107275240_endof1.jpg.f331534c0a7f982796eca7917c8803b1.jpg

Edited by Nicholunch
  • Like 2

The comet did amazingly. Positioned it right in the middle of his keepers turn 1. Was able to hit two blocks of marauders, all the keeper and sylleske. Did like 18 mw spread around. Threw the spell portal out near his 20 marauders that were kept for teleporting with syl. Cast the spell that does mw on 4+. Killed like 12 more. Threw the swords at the block in the middle objective. Did a bunch of mw. Shot them with the handgunners and my drake torpedo and hurricanum. Only had about 4 left. 19 drakes shot at the 3rd marauder unit that was untouched. Wiped em out. I did a little more than 70 damage turn 1.

Knight incantor was the general with unbinding trait. Her job became dispelling and recasting comet each turn. Luminark took the wounds from the command ability but was able to heal each turn from spell and then artifact.

Edited by Nicholunch
  • Like 3

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier but I've been pondering our Battlemage on his Griffon.

I have a mostly Freeguild focused Hallowheart army and I've found the General on Griffon to be very good.  So now I'm thinking how good TWO griffons would be!  But am I misguided?

The Griffon herself seems pretty choppy but the 5+ save kinda sucks.  The Battlemage's spell is also handy on such a mobile platform.  The mobility of the Griffon doesn't play well with the Hallowheart Battalion but a trio of Battlemages on foot are not too expensive.  

I've rarely ever heard of people using him so what does everyone think him?  

PS: I'm not interested in making my army ultra-competitive.  I know the Sorceress on her Dragon is prolly better but Dark Aelves are evil and smelly! 

Hey everyone, Nighthaunt player here sneaking into your thread. I've got a special request for you all.

I want you to destroy me.

My friend and I play 1500 point lists, give or take 20 points, and ever since I figured out my niche against him he's been unable to really fight back. We're going on some 6 or more games now where I've pretty much won by turn 2 or 3. And these aren't close calls, either.

I want him to have fun, and it's not fun when you're staring down what you feel is an inevitable loss. And he's no slouch, himself, but he's just not been able to dedicate the time to research and experiment to the best of his ability. And that's not his fault, for reasons I can't really get in to. I want to give him a break in the form of a formidable list and a strategy that goes with it, and I'm hoping by asking the experts we can do this for him.

Give me your best lists that tear apart Nighthaunt. Bring your A game. Target my heroes, deal massive mortal wounds, keep me away from your fleshy units, or whatever it is that gives you guys an edge over me.

Make it hurt.