Units
5 x Dark Riders (110)
5 x Drakespawn Knights (170)
20 x Shadow Warriors (220)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

I think is a good base, is what I can use of my old wood elf army, it has a lot of mobility and distance and I love going with two dragons. 

From here I can remove Dark riders and play 1500 with 2 blines. And for going 2k y have 3 options:

- Treelord ancient and Brachwraith. By making a wyldwood and the option of summoning 10 dryads each turn. Of course the wyldwood can make my "cities" units some damage but I can focus a zone with the treelord and magic and dryads and support from distance. Also going with 2 dragons and a treelord I know my friends will focus a lot on them leting me go here and there with the units. Here we should change the sorcerer for an assassin general and make 2x 10 shadow warriors to have the 3 blines

- Remove Dark riders and Knights. Change sorcerer by Assassin to make shadow warrior line and introduce Alarielle. 2 dragons and Alarielle summoning 20 dryads. 

- Going on with aelfs. Sisters of the thorn, 10 more Eternal Guard and 10 wildwood rangers. 

So what do you think? for now I will use options 1 and 2 because I wanna finish painting and going into scenery for represent the living city. Later maybe I will take sisters of the Thorn because they are so so soooooo cool models

• Like 1

The old base size chart put Nomad Prince on a 32mm base.  Is this still the case as the picture on their website looks like he's on a 25.  It doesn't say what base he comes with in the description.  My Nomad Prince is currently on a 25 and I am kitbashing a second, so want to make sure I get it right.  Hasn't mattered much up to now, as I've been playing other armies while waiting.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

The old base size chart put Nomad Prince on a 32mm base.  Is this still the case as the picture on their website looks like he's on a 25.  It doesn't say what base he comes with in the description.  My Nomad Prince is currently on a 25 and I am kitbashing a second, so want to make sure I get it right.  Hasn't mattered much up to now, as I've been playing other armies while waiting.

They're on a 32mm in the book, Page 49 of Cities book for reference

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Download from WH community the pdf: Base Sizes (updated on march 2019).

In there all wanderers are 25 mm wit exclusion of prince which is 32 mm.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Seems today I'm gonna be disagreeing with you a lot.

Phoenix guard and Eternal Guard server 2 different roles in the army. PG at 160 point with 2 attacks 3+ 3+ -1 rend  4+ save are the elite infantry role. Tougher version of Wildwood rangers, great swords and Executioners. EG at 130 points are the defensive hold your own objectives unit at 2 attacks 3+ 4+ 0 render 4+ save should be used to camp your objective and get the 1+ save, hit and wound bonus. Give them Armour of Thorns and they become immovable  with a 2+ save return MW on 6s. They are the expensive side of the objective holders like Freeguild Guard, longbeards and Dreadspears.

Fear of MW on an 4+ save infantry blob is really not something I consider a lot.

130 points for sit and hold is to much in my opinion.

Sequitors for 130 are wide better. Arakanout company for 120 are wide better, liberators for 100 are better. :)

Welcome to the new wanderers world. And if you want to really sit and get an objective, you need to avoid mortal wounds. If not against FEC Slanesh you are meat.

Anyway, I was also considering a couple of War Hydras instead of durthu. Opinions?

Edited by Raffonerd

23 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all. So here is my starting army:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City

Leaders
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Lance of Spite & Shield
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Exile Blade & Repeater Crossbow
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
Sorceress (90)

Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)

Units
5 x Dark Riders (110)
5 x Drakespawn Knights (170)
20 x Shadow Warriors (220)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Wounds: 98

I think is a good base, is what I can use of my old wood elf army, it has a lot of mobility and distance and I love going with two dragons. 

From here I can remove Dark riders and play 1500 with 2 blines. And for going 2k y have 3 options:

- Treelord ancient and Brachwraith. By making a wyldwood and the option of summoning 10 dryads each turn. Of course the wyldwood can make my "cities" units some damage but I can focus a zone with the treelord and magic and dryads and support from distance. Also going with 2 dragons and a treelord I know my friends will focus a lot on them leting me go here and there with the units. Here we should change the sorcerer for an assassin general and make 2x 10 shadow warriors to have the 3 blines

- Remove Dark riders and Knights. Change sorcerer by Assassin to make shadow warrior line and introduce Alarielle. 2 dragons and Alarielle summoning 20 dryads. 

- Going on with aelfs. Sisters of the thorn, 10 more Eternal Guard and 10 wildwood rangers. 

So what do you think? for now I will use options 1 and 2 because I wanna finish painting and going into scenery for represent the living city. Later maybe I will take sisters of the Thorn because they are so so soooooo cool models

I think option 2 looks the best. Alarielle is a spectacular model, and a blob of 20 dryads never hurt.

I think a cities of sigmar army is very open to proxy some minis. This are my "proxys" of my army:

- Twilight sisters on Forest Dragon act as Dreadlord on Black Dragon equiped with blade and crossbow.

- High Elf Lord on Dragon acts as Dreadlord on Black Dragon with Lance and Shield.

- My 15 old monopose wood elf archers + 5 wood elf scouts and act as 20 shadow warriors.

- 10 Glade guard are now 10 Sisters of the Watch.

- The high elf Dragon nobles act as drakespawn knights.

- Spire of Dawn Hight elf on griffon act as freeguild general on griffon

- Sea guard Spire of Dawn elfs are Eternal Guard.

- wood elf Glade riders are Dark riders.

I don't know if this makes me depressed or happy to at last use my old elf models. I think the only thing not proxy is a unit of 10 eternal guard, but it is a game and Im enjoying finishing painting them as a nice army so who cares... if u wanna use a hawk rider as a gyrobomber just put the correct base size and go on :)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, Raffonerd said:

Anyway, I was also considering a couple of War Hydras instead of durthu. Opinions?

If you want to make use of "Strike then melt away" after coming on via hidden paths, then Hydras won't work as their ranged attack is only 9" and they'll have no target.  You would need a Hero nearby in any case to use the ability.  If you are only deepstriking them and hoping for the charge, then Hydras are not bad given they can charge on 3D6 and use the best two..  Your opponent can't ignore them and they do have some healing.  I've been considering them and weighing them against the Kharibdyss and I think I'm favouring the Kharibdyss, mainly as it's healing works each turn rather than just yours - I realise its dependant on killing a model but hopefully it should be able to do that.  I like the idea of two and I think you would need two to give your opponent pause for thought.

Durthu without a Wyldwood isn't as reliable or killy enough for me and to get a Wyldwood, you'll need to take a Treelord Ancient, which then starts to eat a lot of points.  At that point it becomes your main strategy around which to build the rest of your army.  As I don't intend to mix Sylvaneth with my Wanderers (self-imposed lore reasons) anyway, its not something I have considered actually doing.

I have to acknowledge that I have not used either and have only been thinking about them. If anyone has actual play experience, it would be good to hear it.

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (100)
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Trait: Druid of the Everspring - Ironoak Skin
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Lifesurge (Living City Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Battleline
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
20 x Wildwood Rangers (260)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Cage of Thorns (Living City Wizard)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Greatswords
5 x Wild Riders (130)
5 x Wild Riders (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

This is my first attempt at a Living  City army lists. Thoughts Concerns? Let me know.

• Like 1

@blubearbare I'd recommend bringing the Wild Riders in a single group of 10 - they are kind of a guided missile of a unit, and you really don't want them to bounce off something - which is a real possibility with 4s to wound. With 10 models attacking, you can basically guarantee enough wounds to make it worthwhile on whatever they charge into.

I'd also recommend not bothering with an Arch-Revenant to babysit your Kurnoth Hunters, since they really don't need the buff to hit. Instead, you could bring a unit of 10 Shadow Warriors, which are a great multi-purpose unit for whatever you need them for.

I'm very new to AOS but tempted to jump in and build a Living Cities army (mostly because I like the lore and mix of units) which must include Gotrek (just because I like him). The other part of the challenge is to keep costs down, so I'm basing my army on a couple of start collecting boxes; Greywater Fastness and Sylvaneth. Putting these together with a few units that I just like the look of thematically brings me to something like this; 

Leaders
Warden King (110)
- General
Cogsmith (60)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
Branchwych (80)

Battlemage (90)
Treelord Ancient (300)

Battleline
10 x Ironbreakers (130)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
1 x Gyrocopter (70)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (100)

War Machines
Helstorm Rocket Battery (130)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 102

Is this in any way feasible? Not competitive of course, but does it essentially work as a cohesive whole? The other big question I have is does this army have enough casting the get Cogs and Wildform down to give Gotrek his movement boosts?

Thanks. 

Edited by Sputnik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sputnik said:

I'm very new to AOS but tempted to jump in and build a Living Cities army (mostly because I like the lore and mix of units) which must include Gotrek (just because I like him). The other part of the challenge is to keep costs down, so I'm basing my army on a couple of start collecting boxes; Greywater Fastness and Sylvaneth. Putting these together with a few units that I just like the look of thematically brings me to something like this; 

Leaders
Warden King (110)
- General
Cogsmith (60)
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
Branchwych (80)

Battlemage (90)
Treelord Ancient (300)

Battleline
10 x Ironbreakers (130)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
1 x Gyrocopter (70)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (100)

War Machines
Helstorm Rocket Battery (130)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 102

Is this in any way feasible? Not competitive of course, but does it essentially work as a cohesive whole? The other big question I have is does this army have enough casting the get Cogs and Wildform down to give Gotrek his movement boosts?

Thanks. 

1st impression - seems too heavy on heroes point. Very thin battle line

not sure if it works or not though

6 minutes ago, rockmanko said:

1st impression - seems too heavy on heroes point. Very thin battle line

not sure if it works or not though

Thanks, that makes sense. I might switch the Treelord Ancient into a basic Treelord and put the 100 points saved into battleline. 

Decided to give Living City a go this weekend at a little FLGS event. Took the weekend out at 3-0, overall I was really pleased with the list, I actually think it surpasses Hallowheart for me going forward. 

List was:

Spoiler

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix - General (Ironoak Artisan), Spear of the Hunt
Runelord
Battle Mage - Hysh, Life Surge
Sorceress - Ironoak Skin
Sorceress - Cage of Thorns
20x Phoenix Guard
20x Darkshards
10x Bleakswords
20x Iron Drakes
10x Shadow Warriors
5x Sisters of the Thorn
Scourge Runner Chariot
Scourge Runner Chariot
Balewind Vortex

I played against:

Hedonites w/heavy BoC elements (my actual army I lent a friend) [Knife to the Heart]. This was a tough game but I know how (my) opponent's army worked inside out. I was able to use my fairly heavy shooting component to control the kind of damage he could do to me. I also deployed far off the line to take the bite out of his speed. One of the things that really impressed me with Living City here was that I had enough serious threats to take his objective that he couldn't just leave token models back to hold it. I won the major on turn 4.

Legion of Grief [Focal Points] - This was a really great game, my opponent used a lot of movement tricks and positioned very well to help him stay competitive in the scoring. That said the ability to threaten one side of the board with Irondrakes and the Phoenix really let me bully him to keep a points lead. I did feel the burn for paying for decent rend on a lot of units in this game but even then the volume of dice the shooters put out overwhelmed a lot of the ethereal saves. Phoenix guard were very impressive in this game, especially when paired with having a -1 to hit and -1 to wound in some cases. 

Seraphon [Duality of Death] - My toughest game of the weekend for sure, our local Seraphon player I think plays the army very well. He had lower drops than me so his goal was to take both objectives on turn one and then teleport off one objective and castle on another to basically force me to take the 2nd objective from his Dino Fort. I think the play was strong but he under estimated my shooting output and I was able to take one objective on the bottom of my turn - pairing that with a big double turn (I think his biggest mistake was going first this game) I was able to fully clear him from half of the table and then get aggressive on his side where on turn 4 I took his objective and broke his progressive scoring. Overall a really tight game and one that I'm sure could go both ways depending on a few key dice rolls.

All in all I really liked playing Living City. I felt like the mobility was fantastic, the City has good synergy with a nice chunky Frostheart (who gets down to a 2+ if the Sisters get mystic shield off on him). Cage of Thorns was really helpful all weekend, it helped me slow down certain elements of my opponents army (and is down right nasty when cast on support heroes who need to keep wholly within for buffs). I'm sure there's room for improvement in the list (I'd love to get Soulscream in somewhere) but I really felt like LC gave me the opportunity to put together a well rounded list that could play most game types. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I've been considering getting a Drakesworn Templar to use as my General with Ironoak Artisan and the Jade Diadem.  This would put him on a 2+ save and each save of 5+ means he heals one wound.  He has no defence against MW, but, with 16 wounds to start and the 1 heal per turn, he should be pretty survivable.

What do people think.

Could take a Lord-Castellant for even more healing, but that is probably overkill.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Hi, I've been considering getting a Drakesworn Templar to use as my General with Ironoak Artisan and the Jade Diadem.  This would put him on a 2+ save and each save of 5+ means he heals one wound.  He has no defence against MW, but, with 16 wounds to start and the 1 heal per turn, he should be pretty survivable.

What do people think.

Could take a Lord-Castellant for even more healing, but that is probably overkill.

Yeah that is a very cool combo, but  unfortunately the Jade Diadem was FAQ'ed to work activate on  unmodified rolls of 6.

Skærmbillede 2019-10-22 kl. 09.10.13.png

16 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

Decided to give Living City a go this weekend at a little FLGS event. Took the weekend out at 3-0, overall I was really pleased with the list, I actually think it surpasses Hallowheart for me going forward. 

List was:

Hide contents

Runelord
Sorceress - Ironoak Skin
20x Phoenix Guard
20x Darkshards
10x Bleakswords
20x Iron Drakes
10x Shadow Warriors
5x Sisters of the Thorn
Scourge Runner Chariot
Scourge Runner Chariot
Balewind Vortex

I played against:

Hedonites w/heavy BoC elements (my actual army I lent a friend) [Knife to the Heart]. This was a tough game but I know how (my) opponent's army worked inside out. I was able to use my fairly heavy shooting component to control the kind of damage he could do to me. I also deployed far off the line to take the bite out of his speed. One of the things that really impressed me with Living City here was that I had enough serious threats to take his objective that he couldn't just leave token models back to hold it. I won the major on turn 4.

Legion of Grief [Focal Points] - This was a really great game, my opponent used a lot of movement tricks and positioned very well to help him stay competitive in the scoring. That said the ability to threaten one side of the board with Irondrakes and the Phoenix really let me bully him to keep a points lead. I did feel the burn for paying for decent rend on a lot of units in this game but even then the volume of dice the shooters put out overwhelmed a lot of the ethereal saves. Phoenix guard were very impressive in this game, especially when paired with having a -1 to hit and -1 to wound in some cases. 

Seraphon [Duality of Death] - My toughest game of the weekend for sure, our local Seraphon player I think plays the army very well. He had lower drops than me so his goal was to take both objectives on turn one and then teleport off one objective and castle on another to basically force me to take the 2nd objective from his Dino Fort. I think the play was strong but he under estimated my shooting output and I was able to take one objective on the bottom of my turn - pairing that with a big double turn (I think his biggest mistake was going first this game) I was able to fully clear him from half of the table and then get aggressive on his side where on turn 4 I took his objective and broke his progressive scoring. Overall a really tight game and one that I'm sure could go both ways depending on a few key dice rolls.

All in all I really liked playing Living City. I felt like the mobility was fantastic, the City has good synergy with a nice chunky Frostheart (who gets down to a 2+ if the Sisters get mystic shield off on him). Cage of Thorns was really helpful all weekend, it helped me slow down certain elements of my opponents army (and is down right nasty when cast on support heroes who need to keep wholly within for buffs). I'm sure there's room for improvement in the list (I'd love to get Soulscream in somewhere) but I really felt like LC gave me the opportunity to put together a well rounded list that could play most game types. 

Why spear of the hunt if effects only the knight?

17 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

List was:

Reveal hidden contents

Runelord
Sorceress - Ironoak Skin
20x Phoenix Guard
20x Darkshards
10x Bleakswords
20x Iron Drakes
10x Shadow Warriors
5x Sisters of the Thorn
Scourge Runner Chariot
Scourge Runner Chariot
Balewind Vortex

I played against:

Hey man sounds cool, glad you're having success with the living city, I'm still finding it a little hard to get the placement of units correctly.

Just a couple of questions though,

How do you get the -1 to hit and -1 to wound? Is this a spell I've missed?

How did you get the Frostheart Phoenix down to 2+ save? 4+ to a 3+ with any spell 12" but mystic spell re-rolls 1s on the save, unless I've missed this changing back?

2 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

Hey man sounds cool, glad you're having success with the living city, I'm still finding it a little hard to get the placement of units correctly.

Just a couple of questions though,

How did you get the Frostheart Phoenix down to 2+ save? 4+ to a 3+ with any spell 12" but mystic spell re-rolls 1s on the save, unless I've missed this changing back?

Spell are Sorceress one + Bmage hysh = -1 hit

-1 Wound living city spell

Lvg City Command trait +1 Ts and +1 to wound (only on anoited).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raffonerd said:

Why spear of the hunt if effects only the knight?

Affects the mount for the purpose of fight first on the charge (which is what really matters) - the bonus rend for the rider's Halberd is just icing. 

5 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

@Raffonerd hit the nail on the head. Ironoak Skin and Pha's protection give you the -1 to hit and wound and Ironoak Artisan give you +1 to save and wound taking the Frostheart to a 3+ and then casting Mystic Shield (assuming you're in the range for the Phoenix's ability) gets you down to a 2+ (and obviously re-roll 1s from Mystic Shield). 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Affects the mount for the purpose of fight first on the charge (which is what really matters) - the bonus rend for the rider's Halberd is just icing. 

This point is not so clear about this. Because phoenix says: artifactes affects only anoited attacks. So, this excludes affecting the mount with everything: strike first too.

Edited by Raffonerd

2 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

This point is not so clear about this. Because phoenix says: artifactes affects only anoited attacks. So, this excludes affecting the mount with everything: strike first too.

You can't fight first with the rider and then fight with the mount later. 

It fights as one model and due to the relic it fights first on the charge 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kore5022 said:

You can't fight first with the rider and then fight with the mount later. 

It fights as one model and due to the relic it fights first on the charge 

If it's like this i'll move into living city asp. :)

My painted phoenix finally has it's space.

• Like 1