AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

I played a game this weekend, 2v2, with a Living City army at 1250, almost entirely Wanderers. My list was a NP with Ironwood Artisan and the Spear of the Hunt, a Ghur Battlemage adjutant with Ironoak Skin, 20 EG, 10 WWR, 5 Wild Riders, 10 SotW, 5 SotT with Cage of Thorns, and two groups of 10 Shadow Warriors. My ally was a Nurgle player who had a Sorcerer on a Manticore, Rotigus, three groups of Plaguebearers, and a Choas Beast.

Our opponents were an FEC army with a group of 12(!) Crypt Horrors, an Archregent, and a couple other buff heroes and a Tzeench player with 6 surfer Enlightened, a LoC, a Magister, and a bunch of acolytes, and horrors.

My general observations are that EG properly buffed with Ironoak Skin and the SotT signature spell are scary enough that not even an imperial crapton of Crypt Horrors wants anything to do with them. Sadly, my Wild Riders bounced off the Crypt Horrors and failed to do any significant damage - 4s to wound is generally atrocious, at least for me. I'm still going to keep them, as a sample size of 1 is not even a blip, but I can see that they'll be very swingy - and probably worth putting 10 on the field for more certain damage output.

Because of the nature of scenario, a lot of my cooler tricks didn't come into play - I didn't get my NP into combat, and there were too many things happening on the periphery for me to properly buff the units I got into combat. I did infiltrate with my SotW, which did serious work, both on their attack and overwatch - their MW generation is pretty satisfying. I did get to use the LC command ability to shoot-and-scoot my SotT out of harm's way, and I can see the clear potential there. I also infiltrated with my WWR and got the charge into the LoC - and chunked a goodly amount of wounds off, even with 10 models. In retrospect going with 10 EG and 20 WWR would probably have been enough to kill the dude - good to keep in mind for later.

Also, +1 to run and charge with a musician is wonderful in CoS. Really helpful!

Lastly, the real standout unit for me were the Shadow Warriors (The only not-Wanderers in the list!). I infiltrated first turn with one of them and killed the enemy Magister before he could magic our faces off, and the second group came in the next turn to menace the Archregent and tie up the Horrors in combat for just a bit longer, which really helped out. For their utility and damage output, they are definitely useful to bring to any game, especially for their points.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, adreal said:

How are people dealing with the low amount of cp we get in this city?

I think this city leans pretty hard into alpha-striking and burning command points very fast and early, and so the long-term generation of them isn't as much of a consideration. If you're banking on punching a large hole in your opponent's offensive capability with your initial assault, you really won't have the legs to go for a longer match if that fails, so it's not going to matter as much as it would in a more grindy, less tricky city, which is going to need those command points to grant battleshock immunity, reroll hits, and otherwise shore up infantry blocks.

edit - On the converse, if it strikes you, you could go for a second-turn offensive push and bank your command points, which would give you 2-4 to use on your second-turn assault, 3-5 if you bought an additional command point for your list. That should be enough to carry out your ambush, which is largely the point of the city's strategy.

Edited by overtninja

Heading of to the Bloodshed in the Shires event in 2 weeks, taking this

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Deepmire Cloak
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Lifesurge (Living City Wizard)
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
Knight-Azyros (100)
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Cage of Thorns (Living City Wizard)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
6 x Desolators (600)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Have had about 10 games so far, reasonable results, felt in most games barring a priority roll here and there.  Liking the cities so far, lots of options but keep coming back to the Living city as my choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Heading of to the Bloodshed in the Shires event in 2 weeks, taking this

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Deepmire Cloak
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Lifesurge (Living City Wizard)
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
Knight-Azyros (100)
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Cage of Thorns (Living City Wizard)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
6 x Desolators (600)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

Have had about 10 games so far, reasonable results, felt in most games barring a priority roll here and there.  Liking the cities so far, lots of options but keep coming back to the Living city as my choice.

Basically my first list for this city. 

Which problems did you find out mostly?

What do you think about:

- 1 Prince

- 6 Desolators 

+ 1 Assasin general

+ 3x10 Shadow warriors

+ Durthu GhyrStrike

You have 2k as Total.

Edited by Raffonerd

7 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

What do you think about:

- 1 Prince

- 6 Desolators 

+ 1 Assasin general

+ 3x10 Shadow warriors

+ Durthu GhyrStrike

You have 2k as Total.

What are your battleline with -1 Prince?

29 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

What do you think about:

- 1 Prince

- 6 Desolators 

+ 1 Assasin general

+ 3x10 Shadow warriors

+ Durthu GhyrStrike

You have 2k as Total.

Desolators are more tanky than Durthu, much quicker as well and Sisters need prince to really work at their best. 

Shadow warriros are a good unit, considering swapping a unit of chariots for them at some point potentially.   But having played the warriors they aren't as amazing as some make out, and die very fast.

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I’m not sold on that. Same shots as SotW but rend and sotw get better with ambush and the NP. Weight of fire can make up for rend. 

The mortal wounds make up for rend I find, you get a got block of 30-40 hits and you're averaging 5-7 mortal wounds plus the weight of saves they have to do.

• Like 1

I have been really faffing about with what to add to my models that survived the culling, finally decided to go with something.

I'm going to add in the anvilgard start collecting box, everything is pretty cheap in the box, so my list will look like

Nomad prince- general, druid of the Everspring circle, ironoak skin

Nomad prince- spear of the Hunt

Battlemage- cage of Thorns

Black ark fleetmaster

20 eternal guard

30 sisters of the watch

5 sisters of the thorn-life surge

10 wild wood rangers

5 wild riders

10 Shadow Warriors

10 black ark corsairs- crossbows

Scourge runner chariot- high beast master

War hydra

Extra command point

Plan is for the sisters and a nomad prince to hidden path, and just put out the hurt 

Eternal guard, battle mage, prince and sisters of the thorn to form a bunker on a objective 

Hydra, wild riders, wwr, chariot and corsairs to do things in the middle

Hi Living City fellows,

I need some advise on battleline / units advise

Thinking if I should add more hunters or Wild Hunter

Or I need some shooting units?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Leaders Points
Nomad Prince (General) 120
Battlemage / Sorceress 80
Battlemage 80
Lord-Celestant
Lord-Castellant 120
Arch-Revenant 100
Battleline  
Eternal Guard (20) 260
Sister of the Watch (20) 320
Sisters of the Thorn 130
Kurnoth Hunters (3) Sword 200

Emerald Lifeswarm 50
Extra Command Points (1) 50
Total Points 1610
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well, I would drop the arch revenants. Hunters are very self sufficient. His best thing is his command ability which you don't really have a great Target for. I would also drop the celestant and castellant. Support heroes with nothing to support. Alternatively you could add 10 sequitors who are amazing with a castellant  Now you have a nice strong 1250 point list. 

From there I would add what you think is cool or awesome. Maybe a drycha for assassination charges or some shadow warriors for more cool tricks.

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Well, I would drop the arch revenants. Hunters are very self sufficient. His best thing is his command ability which you don't really have a great Target for. I would also drop the celestant and castellant. Support heroes with nothing to support. Alternatively you could add 10 sequitors who are amazing with a castellant  Now you have a nice strong 1250 point list. 

From there I would add what you think is cool or awesome. Maybe a drycha for assassination charges or some shadow warriors for more cool tricks.

Thanks! I will consider it

Originally I just think celestant and castellant is cool so I add in!

• LOVE IT! 1

In my opinion Np is unefficient for its cost. 

1 cp + 120 points = 170 to have +1 hit. You can put 30 SoW then which is better. Assassin general is a low cost supporting hero that can be useful everywhere and unlocks the SW as bline.

Edited by Raffonerd

19 hours ago, Osprey07 said:

What's your guy's opinion on using old warhawk riders as gyrobombers?

I have some of those and planned to use them as prosecutors - better fit for the profile in my opinion, gyrobomber has both toughness and firepower of a bit greater scale than what you'd expect from a guy on a bird ; )

Also, a question to Living City players: has anyone tried using a horde of 20 dark riders for the ambush-shoot-move-charge tactic yet?

16 hours ago, Raffonerd said:

In my opinion Np is unefficient for its cost. 

1 cp + 120 points = 170 to have +1 hit. You can put 30 SoW then which is better. Assassin general is a low cost supporting hero that can be useful everywhere and unlocks the SW as bline.

Can you put the general aside at the start of a battle?

Even if you do I think you will still miss the HERO phase for 1/2 chance CP farming

Prince is not only +1 hit for one units but all units within the range

+he got an extra skill (the bird)?

Living city is quite good at mitigating the books main weaknesses (no CP, not easy to get first turn)

Attached is the list I’m thinking of, it’s essentially a change host -with elves (Tree Host?) Emphasis on mobility and threat range.

Everything that can move fast or shoot long range would start on, while the archers and drycha would ambush. Mounted sisters will really help with endless spells getting exactly where I want, magic loads and then shoot loads more to wipe off units. Tried to have as many multiwound to benefit from regrow.

19F8AD44-9725-4EB4-847F-F3998CBC5EB9.png

4 hours ago, rockmanko said:

Can you put the general aside at the start of a battle?

Even if you do I think you will still miss the HERO phase for 1/2 chance CP farming

Prince is not only +1 hit for one units but all units within the range

+he got an extra skill (the bird)?

So I read the princes command ability wrong