AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

Hi there! I am new to AOS, I have a question when drafting my List on Azyr.

So we know  only 1 in every 4 units can be SCE.

When I am adding Celestar Ballista in Artillery, the App said the list is Invalid as there is too many SCE.

So is it true that I cant solely use Celestar Ballista, but need to add another 3 non-SCE Artillery?

Or is it just an App Issue?

I am wondering am i the only one who thinks the living city is going to be  one hell of a army to fight?  Between  hidden path, shadow warriors and tree revenants. A living city army can just deploy or redeploy in reaction to the enemies battle plan. That seems verry powerfull.  More so since a lot of  cities of sigmar units get bonuses if they don't move. And placement is not movement.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Zappgrot said:

I am wondering am i the only one who thinks the living city is going to be  one hell of a army to fight?  Between  hidden path, shadow warriors and tree revenants. A living city army can just deploy or redeploy in reaction to the enemies battle plan. That seems verry powerfull.  More so since a lot of  cities of sigmar units get bonuses if they don't move. And placement is not movement.

I believe that too 

but I don’t know what could be our best options for the shoot and melt away ability of our army . What units should we place for the maximum utility of our command ability ? 

I am thinking a 30 units of sisters of the watch firing and then moving away and maybe Durthu for a killer charge but I don’t know what to think else for both a shooting attack and the a killer charge .

12 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I believe that too 

but I don’t know what could be our best options for the shoot and melt away ability of our army . What units should we place for the maximum utility of our command ability ? 

I am thinking a 30 units of sisters of the watch firing and then moving away and maybe Durthu for a killer charge but I don’t know what to think else for both a shooting attack and the a killer charge .

Drycha, dreadlord on black dragon with a crossbow, Alarielle are three off the top of my head.

11 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

I believe that too 

A stardrake? 

7 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

A stardrake? 

O wait that is not a real shooting attack so ;-( 

But the ability can be usefull even if you don't charge.  For insance a unit of 5 darkriders standing sideways can block of a lot of the board. Sometimes  stopping a big thread from moving is all you need.   Just use the  command ability to move the darkriders in front of the unit and stall it.  Reducing those two keepers of secrets to m3 and then killing the darkriders is sure  to ****** of the slaanesh player

7 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

O wait that is not a real shooting attack so ;-( 

But the ability can be usefull even if you don't charge.  For insance a unit of 5 darkriders standing sideways can block of a lot of the board. Sometimes  stopping a big thread from moving is all you need.   Just use the  command ability to move the darkriders in front of the unit and stall it.  Reducing those two keepers of secrets to m3 and then killing the darkriders is sure  to ****** of the slaanesh player

You could use the Drakesworn Templar, like I did with my list; it's a stardrake with a real shooting attack! I won't take credit for the idea though, that came from a discord I'm in :P

EDIT: Only question would be how much you want to devote to buffing it. Since you can do some neat stuff to buff it in CoS (I took a Hurricanum and Hysh battlemage for pha's protection as well as the usual Lord- Castellant that comes with stardrake lists), but if you don't have alternative stuff to use the buffs on it may not be worth it.

Edited by Drake Arron
  • Thanks 1

The living city allows me to play the units I love (Palladors, Drycha and wanderers) from different armies under the same banner ! I could squeezed all the units in a list, the only thing I wanted to add is an endless spell like Lifeswarn... What do you think ? 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City

Leaders
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Cage of Thorns (Living City Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
Lord-Aquilor (180)
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Lore of Leaves: Lifesurge

Battleline
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)

Units
20 x Shadow Warriors (220)
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (360)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins

Total: 2000 / 2000

All the wanderers units will be on the table T1 and Drycha/Palladors/Aquilors/Shadow Warriors will come later to adapt and strike. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hi all. 

Old wood elf player and owner of Sylvaneth army. I was thinking of taking the battlemage on griffon and make it with an aelf head. Is it worth it? what do u think?

I own sorcerer, Sorcerer on black dragon (I use my sisters of twilight Forest Dragon because its super cool model), lord on black dragon, nomad prince, and for sylvaneth I own treelord ancient and alarielle... I think I have so many magic if I want but that griffon is too cool so what do u think? is there a limit on how many monsters an army can have? :P

And anyone has thought on making the alarielle bug as a mount for something??? This city is driving me crazy cause I will make scenery too for them

Living City    

Realms:
Azyros    100 (Adjoint)
Prince - Gen    120 (Ts +1, Spear)
30 x SoW    480
6 x Desolators    600

Fields:
30 x Eternal    330
5 x SoT    130 - Cage  
Bmage    90 Hysh - Heal
Sorceress    90 - Buff 

Cp    50

Total    1990

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

It is definitely strong, but tempered by the scarcity of Command Points.  Unlike other cities, we do not have any artefacts, spells or abilities to generate them. We have to make do with  Adjutant, Battalion and buying one.  I have looked at the Battalion, but it's not for me.  I do like the flexibility of the army, though.

@Martsb The list looks good! Maximum birdboys. The only thing I'd change is divide the Shadow Warriors into two groups of 10; you lose nothing for doing so (you actually gain a shot for having two champs!), you can more easily fit them in terrain, and you have more options for placement.

I'd be interested to hear how it plays, if you end up fielding it!

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

It is definitely strong, but tempered by the scarcity of Command Points.  Unlike other cities, we do not have any artefacts, spells or abilities to generate them. We have to make do with  Adjutant, Battalion and buying one.  I have looked at the Battalion, but it's not for me.  I do like the flexibility of the army, though.

I think the batelion is hot garbage. The unit in it arn´t all that great and the buff isn´t that great either. But i gues it will see some love from old woodelf players

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

I think the batelion is hot garbage. The unit in it arn´t all that great and the buff isn´t that great either. But i gues it will see some love from old woodelf players

Only old wood elf players that bought a ton of Wyldwood rangers at the tail end of 8th... which is not a ton, lol.

9 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

I'd bring maybe 2 units of 20 and another of 10, I think, and bring a NP with them, and a beast caster to give them +2 charge, which would get the unit you want into combat on a 5+ roll. Without it it's a 7, which is still pretty good. As someone who also owns 10 Wild Riders, I'd bring them in for the fun too, and maybe use the beast caster on them, because I really want them charging in for -2r/2dmg attacks.

It could work, is what I'm saying - and if you alpha'd with them, you could charge up the field with some speedy boys on the other side, and sandwich your opponent before they got going anywhere.

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, overtninja said:

I'd bring maybe 2 units of 20 and another of 10, I think, and bring a NP with them, and a beast caster to give them +2 charge, which would get the unit you want into combat on a 5+ roll. Without it it's a 7, which is still pretty good. As someone who also owns 10 Wild Riders, I'd bring them in for the fun too, and maybe use the beast caster on them, because I really want them charging in for -2r/2dmg attacks.

It could work, is what I'm saying - and if you alpha'd with them, you could charge up the field with some speedy boys on the other side, and sandwich your opponent before they got going anywhere.

From my perspective it´s just that  the  rangers are just bad for thier points. Paying for the detachment is a even bigger sink .  So it´s kind of putting me on the back foot.  Sure a great charge could do a lot. But  you can die it whit so manny other and better units. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zappgrot said:

From my perspective it´s just that  the  rangers are just bad for thier points. Paying for the detachment is a even bigger sink .  So it´s kind of putting me on the back foot.  Sure a great charge could do a lot. But  you can die it whit so manny other and better units. 

There are a fair number of elite infantry in CoS, but at least in my local meta a lot of people run lots of monsters, so I've had good luck running groups of 20 WWR around. They obliterate any monster they touch reliably. I'd certainly agree that Greatswords are have greater overall damage output, but are more expensive and slower. I can't think of other melee infantry I'd want to tactically insert into my opponent's eyeballs for the same cost, at least with what I normally face (bunch of greater demons and such, mostly).

2 hours ago, Raffonerd said:

Living City    

Realms:
Azyros    100 (Adjoint)
Prince - Gen    120 (Ts +1, Spear)
30 x SoW    480
6 x Desolators    600

Fields:
30 x Eternal    330
5 x SoT    130 - Cage  
Bmage    90 Hysh - Heal
Sorceress    90 - Buff 

Cp    50

Total    1990

How do you intend on keeping your Knight-Azyros alive for more than your alpha strike? I've been thinking about using one, but I don't see him being that useful. 5 wounds are very easily inflicted by an average hero phase, nowadays.  Or do you rather see him as a "nice to have but not overly important to the grand scheme"?

The Spear of the hunt says that the bearer fights at the start of the combat phase if they charged in the same turn.  So, if a hero with the spear and, say, some WWR both charged, the hero fights at the start of the combat phase and then we go into alternate activation and I pick my WWR to fight.  Therefore, unless my opponent has a unit that fights first, both my units fight before my opponent picks a unit to fight. 

Logically this sounds right, but would like a second opinion.

• LOVE IT! 1

40 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The Spear of the hunt says that the bearer fights at the start of the combat phase if they charged in the same turn.  So, if a hero with the spear and, say, some WWR both charged, the hero fights at the start of the combat phase and then we go into alternate activation and I pick my WWR to fight.  Therefore, unless my opponent has a unit that fights first, both my units fight before my opponent picks a unit to fight. 

Logically this sounds right, but would like a second opinion.

Yea that is how it works. If it is your turn. You can get the hero to fight before everything else and then pick a unit like normal 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

Yea that is how it works. If it is your turn. You can get the hero to fight before everything else and then pick a unit like normal 

Yup, it's why it's so devastating.  Get 2 good melee units in their backfield turn 1.  Both shoot, both move, then both make an easy charge move.  Then because of the spear, both fight first (unless they can mess with strike order also).

Just remember that to reliably do it first turn, you need to buy that extra command point.   Otherwise you have to buy that pretty terrible battalion or rely on a 50/50 roll, which won't make it reliable.

Hi all I have been daydreaming of a full Steam Tank list since I've picked up the Cities battletome when it came out. I know the obvious city for these clanking behemoths would be Greywater Fastness but the more I think about it the more I think The Living City has great potential for Steam Tanks.

Every tank will be able to globally heal itself by 1.

The General Tank takes the Druid trait and the Lifesurge Spell.

Empowered Emerald Lifeswarm for even more healing.

Tanks can ambush so they can always be in a good starting position.

At the moment I'm thinking of this as possible list. Everything is subject to change but my intention is to run a minimum of 3 tanks.

Steam Tank Commander (General)
Druid of the Everspring Circle
Lifesurge

Cogsmith

Battle Wizard
Fireball
Ironoak Skin

Battleline:

Steam Tank x3

Freeguild Guard x40
Sword & Shields

Other
Gyrocopters x3

Greatswords x20

Shadow Warriors x10

Endless Spells:
Emerald Lifeswarm

Malevolent Malestrom

+1 Command Point

I really would like to try to make something like this work. What are your thoughts?

12 hours ago, Thalandor said:

How do you intend on keeping your Knight-Azyros alive for more than your alpha strike? I've been thinking about using one, but I don't see him being that useful. 5 wounds are very easily inflicted by an average hero phase, nowadays.  Or do you rather see him as a "nice to have but not overly important to the grand scheme"?

The things is: do you  think that with 30 SoW and 6 desolators in da face, they are going to focus azyros? And even if he dies who cares :)

You can place it inside SoW, so it applies also in the countercharge.

Edited by Raffonerd
  • Haha 1