AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

6 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm wondering that too.  Magic is really good and CoS mages get +1 to cast endless spells.  I played today with a Beast Mage and he got off nothing, even with +3 to cast Cogs,..  

On another note: if a Runelord takes the Curse from the BRB, which is normally on a 4+, does it replace his curse or is it in addition?  And then more importantly is it cast on a 4+ or a 2+ (as per his warscroll)?

Thanks kindly

If you give your Runelord Curse it will be in addition to his normal prayers (warscroll) . Same as when a wizard gets an additional spell from a spell lore.

Unfortunately Curse will still only go off on a 4+. The 2+ is specific for the Runelords warscroll prayers only.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm wondering that too.  Magic is really good and CoS mages get +1 to cast endless spells.  I played today with a Beast Mage and he got off nothing, even with +3 to cast Cogs,..  

On another note: if a Runelord takes the Curse from the BRB, which is normally on a 4+, does it replace his curse or is it in addition?  And then more importantly is it cast on a 4+ or a 2+ (as per his warscroll)?

Thanks kindly

I'm fairly sure he adds Curse to his list of prayers you chose from. You can still only do one and you'll have to choose between the warscroll one or curse.

As for Warsong/TLA. I don't think Living City is the right place for that. A Warsong with cogs and portal is absolute carnage but even in Sylvaneth with the 3-dice-cast in Gnarlroot it's sometimes hard to pull off. In LC you'll have even less buffs to casting, apart from the +1 to endless spells. TLA is great now but that's mainly because of his command ability in combination with Kurnoths. I don't think paying 295(?) points for a +1 to Warsong casting is a good points investment. After dropping his woods he contributes pretty much nothing. 

If you want to run the Warsong I'd take just him and forget the TLA, you have much stronger options for that amount of points.
And if you want to run the TLA I'd personally do that with Kurnoths or a Durthu instead. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Thanks kindly

Taking a generic curse doesn't remove warscroll ones, though he can only pray a certain amount of times. And unless a priest gets a BUFF to his prayers, they are still on a 4+. His warscrolls prayers are listed as 2+ but that only applies to those 2. He uses the general rules for priests for the generic ones.

On the magic side of things, I think the Warsong/Ancient combo is SUPER good. Need to look over the Sylvaneth lore more, as that will make or break how useful that is. The Ancient is fine by himself, but it is all really expensive to add...

• Like 1

On another note, finally played my first game of AoS 3.  

30 sisters are good.  garrisoned they just ate things alive, especially with some save stacking (was facing xbows with an extra pip of rend from a spell)

They indeed were my MVP just annihilating anything they pointed at.  If only their Unleash Hell was 9" bwaahahah.

I think I'm going to try 2 x 20 EG, 3x10 Sisters (I could run up to 90 so that number will flit around).  I think it would make the Nomad Prince's cmd ability more effective and I might drop the Hurricanum although man it's so good and Chain Lightining plus Maelstrom is SUPER GOOD.  Maybe i deployed bad but it was constantly taking out several models from my core-node each turn.

Yndrasta is also worth her points.  She fights great, stays alive well and her utility is pretty handy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to run a silly not really competitive list for Living Cities. I'll need 3 units of 3 eatherwing for it. Since GW only sells with units I don't want (will never use) and ill only ever run in private, fun at home games I really don't want to fork out the $200 to buy them from GW (there also hens teeth on Ebay etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions for Alt cheap minis I can proxy for there use?

On 8/25/2021 at 7:05 PM, Thugmullet said:

I'm looking to run a silly not really competitive list for Living Cities. I'll need 3 units of 3 eatherwing for it. Since GW only sells with units I don't want (will never use) and ill only ever run in private, fun at home games I really don't want to fork out the $200 to buy them from GW (there also hens teeth on Ebay etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions for Alt cheap minis I can proxy for there use?

What about Drukhari Razorwings?  

Have you looked through the website?  

What about alternatives?  You are looking for a flying (maybe swarm) of animal-like based 40mm bases.  Try thinking outside the box too.  Like old Warhawk Riders to count as one?  Especially if you have a Wanderer based army.  If not, think about things like that.  What would fill some space on a 40mm base that checks the boxes an opponent would expect to be reasonable.  

Thank you all for response.

I'll check them all out.

Unfortunately with the changing of the Wyldwood rules I'm having a rethink. The aetherwings were to fill out the 12 slots needed to get Durthu, a treelord ancient and Alerielle into the game. The treelord was to put down 3 different woods within his 18' so that teleporting Durthu +2 attack could actually be of use. Then there was to be 8 msu units just to grab objectives and be a general roadblock while the big monsters teleported around and killed stuff..and got points. But with now being back to 1 wood in one location... Its not going to work.

And yes,  to answer the obvious question, at the point when your playing this many Sylvaneth units in this style army. Would it just be a better army if you played it as sylvaneth? ..yes!!
 But it looked fun.

Edited by Thugmullet

On 9/1/2021 at 4:06 PM, Thugmullet said:

Unfortunately with the changing of the Wyldwood rules I'm having a rethink. The aetherwings were to fill out the 12 slots needed to get Durthu, a treelord ancient and Alerielle into the game. The treelord was to put down 3 different woods within his 18' so that teleporting Durthu +2 attack could actually be of use. Then there was to be 8 msu units just to grab objectives and be a general roadblock while the big monsters teleported around and killed stuff..and got points. But with now being back to 1 wood in one location... Its not going to work.

This is the core of a good Gnarlroot army.  Just FYI.  I know because I just used Alarielle, Durthu, Ancient, Drycha, uh,.. 3x5 Trevs and did very well.  

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

This is the core of a good Gnarlroot army.  Just FYI.  I know because I just used Alarielle, Durthu, Ancient, Drycha, uh,.. 3x5 Trevs and did very well.  

Thanks for the FYI. I really didn't think it would be a serious list. Was just looking for a fun list to run against a good mate. Might have to switch to Sylvaneth and pick up some tree revs now...you got me thinking.

The cities list was :

Allerielle

Treelord Ancient

Durthu

Assassin

3x 10 Freeguild Guard

3x 3 aetherwings

2x 1 gyrocopters

3 drops.

And would pop a treelord from Allerielle just to keep the monster mash theme.

Assassin is only there cause he's 80 points and I need a general.

Thought it could hold its own...
But not be a truly competitive list.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:46 PM, Thugmullet said:

Thanks for the FYI. I really didn't think it would be a serious list. Was just looking for a fun list to run against a good mate. Might have to switch to Sylvaneth and pick up some tree revs now...you got me thinking.

The cities list was :

Allerielle

Treelord Ancient

Durthu

Assassin

3x 10 Freeguild Guard

3x 3 aetherwings

2x 1 gyrocopters

3 drops.

And would pop a treelord from Allerielle just to keep the monster mash theme.

Assassin is only there cause he's 80 points and I need a general.

Thought it could hold its own...
But not be a truly competitive list.

AoS Coach just posted a podcast (I think it's on  youtube also?) where he interviews a Living City player using Alarielle.  

He has good points about Cities of Sigmar and Sylvaneth, etc.  Worth a listen.

4 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Even if it doesn't I probably wouldn't deep strike him anyway. 32" threat range on his ranged attack and 28" of move with the command ability is plenty to get him where he needs to be. Plus you want him on the table in the hero phase.

Yes all correct, it was more of a joke based on the experience with the huge base of Alarielle

Have a question hoping I can get an answer for.

Let me make my usual apologies if it has been covered previously.

I have problem working out enhancement for armies. Not general enhancements, I get the rules here ok.

I'll outlay the problem.

I wish to make the Frost pheonix a wizard. No problem to do so, I simply give him my 1 artifact enhancement I get with army to start with.

Now I want him to have access to the core book spell lore.

Do I have to spend another enhancement to do so or do all wizards have access to this by default?

On 7/22/2021 at 8:32 PM, Popisdead said:

I heard on the Honest Wargamer a guy went 5-0 with this

TBH i'm not sure what he if anything he ambushed unless it was all the shooting.  With smaller boards do the Irondrakes work up front?  Also with the new Wildwoods it gives a Durthu 3 platforms to teleport around.  Yndrasta is good for utility.

Can you ( or anyone) elaborate on "new Wildwoods" ? Did the rules change for Wildwoods? I didnt see anything about them

4 hours ago, Rahatlin said:

Can you ( or anyone) elaborate on "new Wildwoods" ? Did the rules change for Wildwoods? I didnt see anything about them

They changed the wyldwoods so that 1 wood could be set up in 3 different places instead of 1. Effectively making 3 wyldwoods in 3 different locations for every Wyldwood you put down.

It has now been changed again with last update so it's back to how it was.. You can put down 1, 2 or 3 pieces of wood scenery but only in 1 location. You can find the new wyldwoods warscroll on the latest Sylvaneth FAQ.

As a side note. It's very clearly a mistake but if you check the new aos app it has given Alarielle Verdant Blessing on her warscroll.. 😂. So she can just make trees for Living City now.

Edited by Thugmullet
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Thugmullet said:

As a side note. It's very clearly a mistake but if you check the new aos app it has given Alarielle Verdant Blessing on her warscroll.. 😂. So she can just make trees for Living City now.

I came here to ask about this. I noticed on the new app that Verdant Blessing is not in (or as it was just above...) Sylvaneth spell lore and instead Warsong Revenant has it on their warscroll as does Treelord Ancient (as well as still having Silent Communion). And also Alarielle from what you say.

For the sake of my Living City I'm hoping this isn't a mistake. The fact it's appearing on a number of warscrolls (and discppeared from the spell lore section) makes me inclined towards a delibrate thing and not a mistake. But the implications would be huge.

Edit: In fact it looks like on the new app all Sylvaneth Wizards apart from Karthaen/Skaeth's Wild Hunt get verdant blessing on their Warscroll.

So, Branchwraith - 95 points for a Dryad Factory (VB then Roused to Wrath) - seems a bargin!

Edited by EntMan

6 hours ago, EntMan said:

I came here to ask about this. I noticed on the new app that Verdant Blessing is not in (or as it was just above...) Sylvaneth spell lore and instead Warsong Revenant has it on their warscroll as does Treelord Ancient (as well as still having Silent Communion). And also Alarielle from what you say.

For the sake of my Living City I'm hoping this isn't a mistake. The fact it's appearing on a number of warscrolls (and discppeared from the spell lore section) makes me inclined towards a delibrate thing and not a mistake. But the implications would be huge.

Edit: In fact it looks like on the new app all Sylvaneth Wizards apart from Karthaen/Skaeth's Wild Hunt get verdant blessing on their Warscroll.

So, Branchwraith - 95 points for a Dryad Factory (VB then Roused to Wrath) - seems a bargin!

They did the same thing with the invigorating aura spell in soulblight. I’m guessing the devs didn’t realize the implication of putting these on the warscroll. 

17 minutes ago, Androidjones said:

They did the same thing with the invigorating aura spell in soulblight. I’m guessing the devs didn’t realize the implication of putting these on the warscroll. 

Am I right that if this stands then any faction that can have Sylvaneth allies (not just coalition) can do this? It must get faq'd or the app updated surely? I'll enjoy it while it lasts though.

23 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Am I right that if this stands then any faction that can have Sylvaneth allies (not just coalition) can do this? It must get faq'd or the app updated surely? I'll enjoy it while it lasts though.

An app error doesn't override rules imo. Unless we get an FAQ saying its intentional I'm not going to let bad programming affect my games.

If we treated errors as rules then nobody can bring endless spells (error: you can only bring one of [insert endless spell that I only have one of]) among many other things. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

An app error doesn't override rules imo. Unless we get an FAQ saying its intentional I'm not going to let bad programming affect my games.

If we treated errors as rules then nobody can bring endless spells (error: you can only bring one of [insert endless spell that I only have one of]) among many other things. 

Yes. Agreed.

Core Rules, GHB, FAQs, Faction Books and White Dwarf (if they say it's accepted) are the rules. Everything else is a simply a platform to view those rules. If the platform does not agree with the rules from these places then the platform is wrong. That's my thinking on this anyway.

• Like 1