AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

21 minutes ago, KydbrookP said:

Yeah, artefact does seem better than the Druid trait. Feel like maybe some interesting uses.

Trolling with Deepmire Cloak is a great idea

Stick the tome on a fleetmaster and you have a 70 point wizard with a 3+ save against shooting. 

Edited by SentinelGuy
  • Like 1

I think she fits quite nicely. It seems We have a lot of choices when it comes to bringing in a big monster/hero off of Hidden Path.

Durthu, Drycha and Dreadlord are still good. Although I love Ynndrasta I think I'd lean more into using a Monster for sweet Roars and Stomps. But it seems like there are lots of good options.

I’ve been trying to decide whether to buy SotW or crossbows, and think I’m veering towards crossbows. If I’m dropping sisters into hidden paths to try to take out enemy shooting, the enemy only needs to put their glass cannon more than 7” behind their flank screens and the sisters can’t reach. Whereas crossbows with 24” range seem trickier to defend against. And much cheaper in points now too.

What do people think?

On 6/18/2021 at 10:20 AM, Goldmund said:

What do u think about adding Yndrasta to a living city army? She has a nice shooting attack, grants bonuses also to CoS armies and is survivable.

Well, right now she is deeeefinetly underpirced. While her actual damage is not that impressive (Dreadlord even without Breath attack does 1-2 more wounds than her on average), her utility is pretty great. She is quite tanky, debuffs monsters, revives Stormcasts and gives battleshock immunity, both in AOE. If you want her to be used purely as a solo fighter, probably don't take her, unless you really need a monster hunter. If you want her to be in the middle of your formation, together with 1-2 Stormcast units and some melee CoS, then take her for sure. But she looks like a frontline fighter, not nessesarily someone for deepstriking.

But beware, that she will get a price increase in the future. +50 at least, probably be even more, as her utility for Stormcasts is insane for just 300.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, KydbrookP said:

I’ve been trying to decide whether to buy SotW or crossbows, and think I’m veering towards crossbows. If I’m dropping sisters into hidden paths to try to take out enemy shooting, the enemy only needs to put their glass cannon more than 7” behind their flank screens and the sisters can’t reach. Whereas crossbows with 24” range seem trickier to defend against. And much cheaper in points now too.

What do people think?

Well, I am one of the big fans of Sisters here, but I will give you a fresh breakdown due to point changes.
Crossbowmen are point wise more tanky than Sisters (worse save, but quite more wounds) and have 6 more range (which is big). You will howerer need to use more Reinforcements on them due to their unit size. Sisters meanwhile have +2 to their Bravery, +1 to move and of course an inbuild overwatch. They also do not lose their +1 attack bonus below 10 models But let's break their damage a bit better.
Below are the stats for 10 Sisters of the Watch (180 points) and 17 Crossbowmen (as 17 Crosbowmen theoretical cost would be 178.5 points). First is their basic shooting damage, second is their damage with a Unleash Hell on a unit more than 3 inches away.

Save Crossbows    Sisters     Crossbows long range overwatch    Sisters long range overwatch
2+ 1.93 3.89 1.3 2.92
3+ 3.85 5.44 2.59 4.08
4+ 5.78 7 3.89 5.25
5+ 7.7 8.56 5.19 6.42
6+ 9.63 10.11 6.48 7.58
- 11.56 11.67 7.78 8.75

As you can see, points wise Sisters win with their damage everywhere, especially versus low saves. Although versus 5+ saves and lower their damage potential is very close. But what about overwatch when enemy is within 3?

Save Crossbows close range overwatch     Sisters close range overwatch
2+ 0.65 3.56
3+ 1.3 4.99
4+ 1.94 6.42
5+ 2.59 7.84
6+ 3.24 9.27
- 3.89 10.69

As you can see, Crossbows do pitiful damage, when they use Unleash Hell with the enemy within 3. While Sisted shoot twice, once with warscroll overwatch, and second time with Unleash hell. And due to their leader getting an extra attack each time, they get 1 more attack overall, slightly mitigating -1 to hit on Unleash hell and basically almost having a second round of shooting in the opponent charging phase. And yea, Sisters fight a bit better in melee as well.

Now, which one is better? Totally depends on what you want. If you need range to reach targets behind screens and your targets have 4+ or lower armour, Crossbows are a better choice. But you will have to protect and babysit them, as on their own they are dead if something charges them directly. While Sisters can effectively fight both armoured and unarmoured targets, while being a big pain for your enemy to charge, giving them a much bigger degree of independance.

Edited by Zeblasky

14 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

Now, which one is better? Totally depends on what you want.

Thanks so much for this analysis. Lots to think about. Reckon I’ll end up buying sisters, proxying old archers as crossbows (if opponents allow) and trying out both.

So, I've started to modifiying my list for the AoS 3.0, and here what I currently have. Not much have changed honestly, besides losing extra CP and SotT for an Annointed.

Nomad Prince (General, Druid of the Everspring , Deepmire Cloak) - 110pts

Anointed (General Adjutant) - 110 pts

Dreadlord on a Black Dragon (Crossbow, Lance, Spear of the Hunt) - 290pts.

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix - 315pts

Treelord - 190 pts

20 Sisters of the Watch - 360pts

20 Sisters of the Watch - 360pts

5 Sisters of the Thorn - 130pts

5 Sisters of the Thorn - 130pts

---------------

1995pts total

Battalions:
Battle Regiment (Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix, 5 Sisters of the Thorn, 5 Sisters of the Thorn, 20 Sisters of the Watch, Treelord)
Warlord (Dreadlord on a Black Dragon, Nomad Prince, Anointed, 20 Sisters of the Watch)
Grand strategy: Hold the Line.

So, it's a 5 drop build, which would seem to be a new meta number. I could may be instead go for Command Entourage and make it a 4 drop, but an extra CP at any turn is too nice not to pass up I guess. So, 4 heroes, 4 battleline units, and a lone Treelord total. Here I've got plenty of damage, speed, as well as magical support (3 casts and 3 dispels and unbinds, no bonuses to them though). I also have 7 potential Attuned to Nature targets, so LC passive healing can potentially generate a lot of value.

SotWs with Dreadlord and Treelord would go into reserve most of the time, while immune to ranged Nomad Prince general can tag along with tanky Annointed from cover to cover for objective contesting and general mayhem. I am still thinking, that even with Deepmire Cloak and constantly being in cover an Ironoak Artisan trait could be worth it for +1 to wound and for +2 to save, so my general would be not only immune to shooting, but better protected from rend in melee as well. Not sure here.

As my double Strike then Melt Away tactic is no longer possible, I could also replace Treelord with 2x Dryads instead (or instead of Treelord and Annointed I could take Dryads, Eternal Guard and a Sorceress). But with new Rampages having 3 monsters is just the right ammount, so I am hesitant to leave him out if this, as Treelord points wise is still quite a strong monster. And now, counting as 5, he can actually cap objectives!

So, guys, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Zeblasky

@Zeblasky The list does a good job of making use of lots of hero/monsters and the city command ability, but you're basically roasted if any melee gets to you, since you're relying utterly on ranged dps and, i'd assume, ambushing from the table edges. You're also going to have to kill off anything on objectives rather than contesting them with bodies, but you're in a good position to do that. I do think bringing some dryads in instead of the treelord might be prudent, just so you have units to contest objectives, chaff, speedbump, or even hold your own side of the field while the rest of your army rushes their side.

I'd say if you have the models on hand to run such a list, you might as well try it out and see how it goes!

I personally like revenants over dryads. They aren't as good at taking/holding objectives but they are phenomenal at making your opponent leave things on objectives so you dont steal them and can also be useful in picking off lone artillery or casters or teleporting to form a screen for your shooters.

10 hours ago, overtninja said:

@Zeblasky The list does a good job of making use of lots of hero/monsters and the city command ability, but you're basically roasted if any melee gets to you, since you're relying utterly on ranged dps and, i'd assume, ambushing from the table edges. You're also going to have to kill off anything on objectives rather than contesting them with bodies, but you're in a good position to do that. I do think bringing some dryads in instead of the treelord might be prudent, just so you have units to contest objectives, chaff, speedbump, or even hold your own side of the field while the rest of your army rushes their side.

I'd say if you have the models on hand to run such a list, you might as well try it out and see how it goes!

Well, the only ranged units here are Sisters of the Watch (granted, they do cost 720 points). Sisters of the Thorn are hybrid casters, while the rest of my army is melee. And getting to my SotW will be quite costly if I would have a CP for Unleash Hell to spare (and I most certainly will), giving me almost a full powered shooting attack if they get charged solo (inbuild overwatch + Unleash Hell). So even if they get deployed, shot, and then get charged next turn, most of the time they will still do enough damage to almost pay for themselfs right there, especially if they deploy together, covering each other with Unleash Hell. Give them 2 unpunished shooting phases, and enemy army will start to crumble. So their actual counters are ranged units, which I have to shut down as efficiently as possible.

About holding my side of the board though... that's a tricky one for sure. SotT can screen very well, Phoenix can be an unkillable roadblock... but I guess it will all be about balancing pressure on the opponent and defending my own half of the board ( I can deepstrike defensively as well). It's all very situational.

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

I personally like revenants over dryads. They aren't as good at taking/holding objectives but they are phenomenal at making your opponent leave things on objectives so you dont steal them and can also be useful in picking off lone artillery or casters or teleporting to form a screen for your shooters.

True, but when you have half of your army deepstriking, as well as a lot of fast units AND Strike them melt away, your opponent simply cannot leave objectives unguarded anyway. More than that, he has to leave objectives guarded with something strong or with a lot of bodies, otherwise Dreadlord will come from the edge and uncap objective within a turn. Or you can make a 24 inch move with SotT by Strike them melt awaying to the empty backfield objective as well. Even Sisters of the Watch can probably cap with a 6x2 inch move as well and then good luck taking it back.

Btw, for some reason before I was not sure if I could only control an objective with a unit near it at all times, but new rules state pretty clearly, that only enemy models can flip the objective. So, unless battleplan requires it, you only need to take control and then you can move on.

Also, a fresh idea - any hero general with 5 wounds, Druid of the Everspring and Deepmire Cloak is a great caster to summon a controllable endless spell. So I'm thinking about may be adding a pet Emerald Lifeswarm for my general, but I'm not sure though it would not get denied or dispelled by my opponent anyway. Without bonuses to cast Endless Spells are quite a risky endeavour.

Edited by Zeblasky

What are people's thoughts on this? 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City

Leaders
Nomad Prince (110)
- General
- Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Wardroth Horn
Runelord (100)
Doralia van Denst (115)
Yndrasta (300)
Branchwych (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
- Spell lore: Lifesurge
Arch-Revenant (105)
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (125)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)

Units
10 x Irondrakes (160)
10 x Phoenix Guard (175)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
5 x Vindictors (140)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (215)
- Scythes

Total: 1995 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

I'd fit in the warlord core battalion for the extra enhancement and then maybe go for the one drop one or the hunters one on my Frontline guys to protect against monsters. I could possibly even get a second warlord one in for more enhancements. I really want a good mix of all 3 available factions to LC. 

Reserve a unit of Sisters, Yndrasta, the runelord, irondrakes, and vindictors. 

Eternal guard, arch-revenant, and kurnoth are a roaming band, saving wardroth horn to get them a ton of attacks in when needed with the arch revenants CA. 

Cluster the general, Phoenix guard, branchwych and a unit of Sisters together. 

It's low on casting but has potential to really benefit from the wound healing each round. Doralia is for taking out enemy casters/endless spells, so that's kind of the answer to stopping enemy casting. 

43 minutes ago, vicar1492 said:

What are people's thoughts on this? 

Leaders
Nomad Prince (110)
- General
Runelord (100)
Doralia van Denst (115)
Yndrasta (300)
Branchwych (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
- Spell lore: Lifesurge
Arch-Revenant (105)
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (125)

Units
10 x Irondrakes (160)
10 x Phoenix Guard (175)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
5 x Vindictors (140)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (215)
- Scythes

Total: 1995 / 2000
Wounds: 108

I'd fit in the warlord core battalion for the extra enhancement and then maybe go for the one drop one or the hunters one on my Frontline guys to protect against monsters. I could possibly even get a second warlord one in for more enhancements. I really want a good mix of all 3 available factions to LC. 

Reserve a unit of Sisters, Yndrasta, the runelord, irondrakes, and vindictors. 

Eternal guard, arch-revenant, and kurnoth are a roaming band, saving wardroth horn to get them a ton of attacks in when needed with the arch revenants CA. 

Cluster the general, Phoenix guard, branchwych and a unit of Sisters together. 

It's low on casting but has potential to really benefit from the wound healing each round. Doralia is for taking out enemy casters/endless spells, so that's kind of the answer to stopping enemy casting. 

I find Eternal Guard to be great as static defenders, but they aren't as good if you want a roving band. Have you considered swapping them for a unit of Wild Riders? They're similar points, hit much harder and move a lot faster. I have never run Kurnoth Hunters so cannot say for certain how good they are. I will say that I've never seen the Horn get much use as an artefact - usually the Spear is better.

Edited by SentinelGuy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

I find Eternal Guard to be great as static defenders, but they aren't as good if you want a roving band. Have you considered swapping them for a unit of Wild Riders? They're similar points, hit much harder and move a lot faster. I have never run Kurnoth Hunters so cannot say for certain how good they are. I will say that I've never seen the Horn get much use as an artefact - usually the Spear is better.

I recognize the value of spear which is what I would normally take. My consideration with the horn is that it stacks with the arch revenants command ability. So those kurnoth in one turn could go from 3 attacks to 5 attacks a piece for a single CP and using the horn. 

The eternal guard point is well taken though. I'll look at wild riders. 

17 minutes ago, vicar1492 said:

I recognize the value of spear which is what I would normally take. My consideration with the horn is that it stacks with the arch revenants command ability. So those kurnoth in one turn could go from 3 attacks to 5 attacks a piece for a single CP and using the horn. 

The eternal guard point is well taken though. I'll look at wild riders. 

I've just had a look at the revenant and yes, that does seem quite cool. I would try and lean more into Sylvaneth if you want to maximize the ability.

Right now you have a lot of points in heroes that aren't offering you much, so it kind of feels a bit disjointed, like you're trying to cram in so much interesting stuff that it ends up lacking a central focus and doesn't have much supporting synergy.

I don't see what the Branchwych adds - a Sorceress is similarly priced, has a much better spell and doesn't use up 1 of your Sylvaneth slots. If you're just after a cheap spellcaster then perhaps just give another hero the new generic arcane tome item.

I'm also not certain about mixing Irondrakes and Sisters, I have found it's usually better to focus on one or the other, and Sisters work much better in larger numbers where they can get more mortal wounds. 

If it were me and I wanted to really get the most out of the Sylvaneth with the horn and Revenant, I'd look into expanding them and fitting in another Sylvaneth combat unit or increasing the size of the current one. 

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you break down what you're using, it's not working as a well oiled machine.

You have a Runelord who is excellent. He's worth it even if you don't have Irondrakes, but with them he's the icing on the cake. If you're planning to have the drakes pop up with him then really you want more Irondrakes to really get the most out of that surprise shooting, otherwise they'll do a little damage and then get overrun. Smaller squads can work, but you need more of them.

Nomad Prince can buff the Sisters and Eternals. He also makes them battle line, which is useful but these are all static units which are quite costly. Again, the Sisters work better in larger squads where the command abilities affect more of them.

We've already discussed the Revenant and horn combo, which is interesting, but you only have 1 small unit of Hunters and the Revenant himself that really benefit. The Branchwych shouldn't be anywhere near combat , so she's not going to be using it.

Phoenix Guard are tough to kill and can handle a fight, but a small unit isn't great at either really, and making them your retinue just means you're sacrificing expensive models. You want to be using cheaper Freeguild, Covens or Privateer units as meat shields.

Yndrasta looks good - battle shock immunity, hits hard with a nice debuff for monsters.

I'm not sure what the other Stormcast unit is adding. Is it just combat punch? Wouldn't it be better to take more Sylvaneth?

Doralia is ok, but that's so many points wrapped up in average heroes.

I would at least consider dropping Doralia, the Vindicators and Branchwych for some cheaper battle line and more Hunters. If you need cheap units to fill out the slots so you can use the Living City deployment, then what about Aetherwings? They're cheap and fast objective grabbers and chaff.

Right now you're trying to pull off too many combinations. It would probably be somewhat possible, but with Yndrasta being expensive and the other heroes increasing that even more, it's looking difficult. I would pick 2 or 3 and focus on them - Sisters shooting and Sylvaneth combat, or Irondrakes shooting and Sylvaneth combat. Add in Yndrasta and then work your remaining points around that.

Sorry for the wall of text there.

1 hour ago, SentinelGuy said:

I've just had a look at the revenant and yes, that does seem quite cool. I would try and lean more into Sylvaneth if you want to maximize the ability.

Right now you have a lot of points in heroes that aren't offering you much, so it kind of feels a bit disjointed, like you're trying to cram in so much interesting stuff that it ends up lacking a central focus and doesn't have much supporting synergy.

I don't see what the Branchwych adds - a Sorceress is similarly priced, has a much better spell and doesn't use up 1 of your Sylvaneth slots. If you're just after a cheap spellcaster then perhaps just give another hero the new generic arcane tome item.

I'm also not certain about mixing Irondrakes and Sisters, I have found it's usually better to focus on one or the other, and Sisters work much better in larger numbers where they can get more mortal wounds. 

If it were me and I wanted to really get the most out of the Sylvaneth with the horn and Revenant, I'd look into expanding them and fitting in another Sylvaneth combat unit or increasing the size of the current one. 

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you break down what you're using, it's not working as a well oiled machine.

You have a Runelord who is excellent. He's worth it even if you don't have Irondrakes, but with them he's the icing on the cake. If you're planning to have the drakes pop up with him then really you want more Irondrakes to really get the most out of that surprise shooting, otherwise they'll do a little damage and then get overrun. Smaller squads can work, but you need more of them.

Nomad Prince can buff the Sisters and Eternals. He also makes them battle line, which is useful but these are all static units which are quite costly. Again, the Sisters work better in larger squads where the command abilities affect more of them.

We've already discussed the Revenant and horn combo, which is interesting, but you only have 1 small unit of Hunters and the Revenant himself that really benefit. The Branchwych shouldn't be anywhere near combat , so she's not going to be using it.

Phoenix Guard are tough to kill and can handle a fight, but a small unit isn't great at either really, and making them your retinue just means you're sacrificing expensive models. You want to be using cheaper Freeguild, Covens or Privateer units as meat shields.

Yndrasta looks good - battle shock immunity, hits hard with a nice debuff for monsters.

I'm not sure what the other Stormcast unit is adding. Is it just combat punch? Wouldn't it be better to take more Sylvaneth?

Doralia is ok, but that's so many points wrapped up in average heroes.

I would at least consider dropping Doralia, the Vindicators and Branchwych for some cheaper battle line and more Hunters. If you need cheap units to fill out the slots so you can use the Living City deployment, then what about Aetherwings? They're cheap and fast objective grabbers and chaff.

Right now you're trying to pull off too many combinations. It would probably be somewhat possible, but with Yndrasta being expensive and the other heroes increasing that even more, it's looking difficult. I would pick 2 or 3 and focus on them - Sisters shooting and Sylvaneth combat, or Irondrakes shooting and Sylvaneth combat. Add in Yndrasta and then work your remaining points around that.

Sorry for the wall of text there.

How about this? 

Leaders
Nomad Prince (110)
- General
Sorceress (95)
- Lore of Leaves: Lifesurge
Arch-Revenant (105)
Yndrasta (300)

Battleline
20 x Sisters of the Watch (360)
10 x Eternal Guard (125)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (430)
- Scythes
10 x Vindictors(280)

Total: 1985 / 2000
Wounds: 113
I could change around the artefacts and core battalions and such. I want vindictors to accompany Yndrasta since she can bring back a model to them every turn. But this puts a larger block of hunters to benefit from the CA and the horn. Which means that block can get 30 attacks in a round where I use the CA and the horn. I envision yndrasta, the vindictors and the 20xsisters to be the block I drop in where needed. Vindictors screen for the sisters and yndrasta can charge in with strike and melt away. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:48 AM, The Red King said:

Dryads got a bit of a boost with 10 vs 10, and reach.  Getting 21 attacks is pretty nice vs fewer.  Granted Tree Revenants hit nicely and I think they have good combat and in an MSU setting their stock should go up.  Pop around and disrupt plus battalion changes made Spite Revs not as appealing.  

I guess I still like Dryads a fair bit (especially 20) but I see Tree Revs still valid.  However... summoning in Dryads into LC got better.  Just hoping for those casting buffs somehow for reliability.  

3 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Dryads got a bit of a boost with 10 vs 10, and reach.  Getting 21 attacks is pretty nice vs fewer.  Granted Tree Revenants hit nicely and I think they have good combat and in an MSU setting their stock should go up.  Pop around and disrupt plus battalion changes made Spite Revs not as appealing.  

I guess I still like Dryads a fair bit (especially 20) but I see Tree Revs still valid.  However... summoning in Dryads into LC got better.  Just hoping for those casting buffs somehow for reliability.  

All good points, except the summoning one. Both Branchwraith and Ancient Treelord have gotten up in price, while dryads went down. And while AT has a good potential for a pet Lifeswarm, this summoning strategy is not that great even in Sylvaneth, where it benefits from a lot more synergies (more Wyldwoods, teleportation, great cast bonuses stacking, AT command ability actually being very useful). So it was hard to make Dryad summoning effective in LC before, it will be slightly harder to do it now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

All good points, except the summoning one. Both Branchwraith and Ancient Treelord have gotten up in price, while dryads went down. And while AT has a good potential for a pet Lifeswarm, this summoning strategy is not that great even in Sylvaneth, where it benefits from a lot more synergies (more Wyldwoods, teleportation, great cast bonuses stacking, AT command ability actually being very useful). So it was hard to make Dryad summoning effective in LC before, it will be slightly harder to do it now.

Yeah but the Branchwraith didn't go up much,..  And you can hide her well enough.  And even getting one unit of Dryads that acts as a solid bump or road block could count her points equal.  I suspect her summoning ability is on par with the Dryads.  

I just don't think she's bad.  I think she's good since Dryads got better.  Maybe time will prove me wrong.  all good :)

So, after realisation, that instead of Spear of the Hunt you can give your Dreadlord Amulet of Destiny for that sweet 5+ wardsave, I will be doing exactly that. It hugely boosts both his tankiness and healing on him. Damn, if only I could make him a general as well (for Ironoak Artisan) and take him with shield, then he would become close to Annointed Phoenix levels of tankiness.

Now, the big question, how to equip my Nomad Prince general? Druid of the Everspring and Deepmire Cloak give me an immune to ranged caster, while Ironoak Artisan with Spear of the Hunt give 2+ save and 3+/2+/ -2 rend 2 damage weapon with Fights First on the charge. First variant is more support oriented and amazing versus shooting, but limits me to sitting in cover and does not protect on the charge. Second variant is more universal, as it gives protection both from shooting and melee (and you still have Look out Sir), while also giving my Prince some good teeth to strike at my opponent units as well.

Both of those loadouts are good, but the question is, which would be better? Quite a hard choice..

54 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

So, after realisation, that instead of Spear of the Hunt you can give your Dreadlord Amulet of Destiny for that sweet 5+ wardsave, I will be doing exactly that. It hugely boosts both his tankiness and healing on him. Damn, if only I could make him a general as well (for Ironoak Artisan) and take him with shield, then he would become close to Annointed Phoenix levels of tankiness.

Now, the big question, how to equip my Nomad Prince general? Druid of the Everspring and Deepmire Cloak give me an immune to ranged caster, while Ironoak Artisan with Spear of the Hunt give 2+ save and 3+/2+/ -2 rend 2 damage weapon with Fights First on the charge. First variant is more support oriented and amazing versus shooting, but limits me to sitting in cover and does not protect on the charge. Second variant is more universal, as it gives protection both from shooting and melee (and you still have Look out Sir), while also giving my Prince some good teeth to strike at my opponent units as well.

Both of those loadouts are good, but the question is, which would be better? Quite a hard choice..

For me it's a no brainer to give him druid of the ever spring and the basic artifact to cast twice. It's a little uncertain of the order because he gets in some combination:

1. Gets book making him a wizard

2. Gets druid of the everpspring giving him every spell from our lore because hes a wizard.

3. Every wizard in our army gets a universal spell giving him... idk levitate?

Mostly I want him to cast shackles and ironoak skin in front of/on my blob of sisters of the watch but it wont hurt to also have cage of thorns and life surge if that's how the rules pan out. 

Bringing a runelord cause I had the points means I have a supercharged dispel if I need to reposition the chains.

5 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. I’ve got handgunners and crossbows as battleline, so thinking of making him general: with IA, shield and all out defence he gets a 3+ save even on -2 rend, then a 5+ ward. He still might not kill that much, but he could get into opponent’s territory and pin down some units for a while.

On 6/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, SentinelGuy said:

I find Eternal Guard to be great as static defenders, but they aren't as good if you want a roving band. Have you considered swapping them for a unit of Wild Riders? They're similar points, hit much harder and move a lot faster.

I'm always surprised people dismiss them.  -2 Rend and 2 DMG is really good particularly in a meta where paying for -1 rend in a warscroll is a drag cause people can stack on +1 so easily.  

When i used them they did great things taking down monsters in the past.  My opponent used to joke I should just paint and use 30.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm always surprised people dismiss them.  -2 Rend and 2 DMG is really good particularly in a meta where paying for -1 rend in a warscroll is a drag cause people can stack on +1 so easily.  

When i used them they did great things taking down monsters in the past.  My opponent used to joke I should just paint and use 30.  

I think they'll really shine in Hallowheart when accompanied by an Anointed on phoenix. Give him the arcane tome and choose ignite weapons and flaming weapon. Cast ignite weapons on the Wild Riders and flaming weapon on himself. Or skip flaming weapon and go for geminids to try and prevent CAs.

22 hours ago, The Red King said:

For me it's a no brainer to give him druid of the ever spring and the basic artifact to cast twice. It's a little uncertain of the order because he gets in some combination:

Order is not important here. Druid trait does not make Nomad Prince a Wizard, so he becomes a Wizard when he takes Arcane tome. The moment Nomad prince becomes a Wizard, command trait starts working differently, so he can only cast one spell. In short, taking both traits on Nomad Prince, when he has only a single cast, is quite redundant.

17 hours ago, KydbrookP said:

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. I’ve got handgunners and crossbows as battleline, so thinking of making him general: with IA, shield and all out defence he gets a 3+ save even on -2 rend, then a 5+ ward. He still might not kill that much, but he could get into opponent’s territory and pin down some units for a while.

Don't underestimate how our good Dreadlord pal is. Even if you consider that he can take serious damage, within your and enemy turns in combat versus 5+ save or stronger Dreadlord can do as much damage as 20 Sisters of the Watch can do with 1 volley. Add a decent breath attack, and he will outdamage them. Now, a lot of it depends on if he does not get crippled by damage or even killed, buffs-debuffs, the fact the Sisters can cause more alpha -> more battleshock damage. But overall, his damage is very good. Especially in your build, where he has +1 to wound. Not as great as +1 to hit on him, but hey, you always have All Out Attack to turn him into a great blender.

4 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

I think they'll really shine in Hallowheart when accompanied by an Anointed on phoenix. Give him the arcane tome and choose ignite weapons and flaming weapon. Cast ignite weapons on the Wild Riders and flaming weapon on himself. Or skip flaming weapon and go for geminids to try and prevent CAs.

Wild Riders right now are most effective in units of 5 due to coherency. And flaming weapons on such a small unit is not that impactul, as on average it gives them an extra attack going through, aka extra rend 2 damage 2. It's decent, sure, but there can be better targets for this buff.

Edited by Zeblasky