AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

Now with Alarielle's new scroll out, even though she is 740pt which is a bit of a stretch, do you think she has a place in Living Cities? She now has access to the full spell lore, and has a pretty reliable D6 dmg spear. Her spell can now do so great dmg. And She can potentially now heal 3D6 on your turn and D6 on the opponents. I can see some interesting play with her in LC.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Grimmlock619 said:

Now with Alarielle's new scroll out, even though she is 740pt which is a bit of a stretch, do you think she has a place in Living Cities? She now has access to the full spell lore, and has a pretty reliable D6 dmg spear. Her spell can now do so great dmg. And She can potentially now heal 3D6 on your turn and D6 on the opponents. I can see some interesting play with her in LC.

Thoughts?

I think she's gonna depend on what changes they said are coming for monsters in 3.0 honestly the deepwood spell lore is not that impressive sadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

I think she's gonna depend on what changes they said are coming for monsters in 3.0 honestly the deepwood spell lore is not that impressive sadly.

Not to mention you can get it from the Warsong Revenant, as well.

As it stands, I would not take Alarielle. I think she does not quite offer enough synergy and her damage output is decidedly sub-par for 700 points (although she does summon a bunch of free stuff, of course). Given the recent trend of overcosting big monster heroes, I expect some impactful changes in AoS 3, though.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:10 AM, Grimmlock619 said:

Now with Alarielle's new scroll out, even though she is 740pt which is a bit of a stretch, do you think she has a place in Living Cities? 

GW seems completely clueless on to-hit in Fantasy since 2nd ed?  The fact heroes don't hit on 2+ is pretty dumb.  40k gets blanket 2+ on heroes and Alarielle was forever 4+.  Just,.. so baffling.. Granted they changed the beetle to not need to fight 5+ (or 10?) models to get +1.  So have her move twice, ambush a Hurricanum and she's hitting on 2s.  But the points cost is still crazy for lacking a Damage Prevention Roll of any kind.  

On 5/31/2021 at 5:06 AM, The Red King said:

I noticed that last night when I found out the Song Revenant has access to the whole lore. "oh,.. well I guess he can cast Throne and a heal,.."  He does have a 4+ DPR though.

Saw some guy posting an effective t-shape repeating pattern with cavalry regarding new Unit Coherancy rules.  

As a wanderer player this was a tactic I used on them to benefit the reach alternating side to side of horizontal and vertical for Wild Riders.

I think also Rangers and EG get a boost (honestly no clue what other units have outside Wanderers) with 2" reach.  Having a tight smallish (20-man) unit gets full attacks.

With the Warsong Revenant, Alarielle scroll change, predatory spells being more viable, I'm fairly excited for LC in AoS 3.

So far I'm excited about the Battalion changes for Wanderers.  With a Nomad Prince as general (not an impressive choice) we can unlock having Rangers, EG up to 30 as Reinforced.  Also taking a few smaller SotW to ambush and the Rangers and EG to deploy should give us some deployment shenanigans with Battle Regiment.

Man did this thread just die?  No LC players out there? :(

I'm thinking Nomad Prince general for 30 elf blocks of sisters "unleashing hell". Im also legitimately considering bring Cleona with the generic prayer "curse" so that's 60 shots with 6's to hit deal MW in addition followed by 6's to wound deal MW in addition. The range and needing LoS obviously keeps them off Sentinels level but it feels like it could be pretty competitive to ambush big blocks of sisters with small screens of spears. The unit is going to be getting its points worth of shooting whether it makes its points back is up to the dice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KydbrookP said:

I’ve been wondering too how people think Living City will adapt. Are there are good counters to unleash hell? Could Pistoliers be useful as a sacrifice - finding a gap in between screens to engage the shooting unit behind?

I think our best answer is going to have to be shooting (sadly). We could jump through a hundred hoops to stop our valuable targets getting unleashed all to hell, but the easiest answer feels like it will be "deepstriking" another shooting unit to blast theirs out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm thinking Nomad Prince general for 30 elf blocks of sisters "unleashing hell". Im also legitimately considering bring Cleona with the generic prayer "curse" so that's 60 shots with 6's to hit deal MW in addition followed by 6's to wound deal MW in addition. The range and needing LoS obviously keeps them off Sentinels level but it feels like it could be pretty competitive to ambush big blocks of sisters with small screens of spears. The unit is going to be getting its points worth of shooting whether it makes its points back is up to the dice.

Getting Cleona within 9" of the target unit in your hero phase to cast a prayer with a 50/50 chance of success that you need to spend an enhancement on... doesn't seem very efficient?

3 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Getting Cleona within 9" of the target unit in your hero phase to cast a prayer with a 50/50 chance of success that you need to spend an enhancement on... doesn't seem very efficient?

Valid criticism but it doesnt cost an enhancement does it? You get one of each category automatically and she won't have any prayers to choose from our book so she takes a generic one.

It would probably only work in the double turn or if they charged something nearby and either didn't kill it or it wasnt the sisters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Valid criticism but it doesnt cost an enhancement does it? You get one of each category automatically and she won't have any prayers to choose from our book so she takes a generic one.

It would probably only work in the double turn or if they charged something nearby and either didn't kill it or it wasnt the sisters.

Good point on the prayers!

21 hours ago, The Red King said:

I'm thinking Nomad Prince general for 30 elf blocks of sisters "unleashing hell". Im also legitimately considering bring Cleona with the generic prayer "curse" so that's 60 shots with 6's to hit deal MW in addition followed by 6's to wound deal MW in addition. 

Who is Cleona?  She's Cursed City only?  I'm thinking about converting her form a battle sister.  neat find thanks.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Who is Cleona?  She's Cursed City only?  I'm thinking about converting her form a battle sister.  neat find thanks.

Yeah cursed city only.

We have runelords too but I have a great conversion to be Cleona (plus I have the actual model) so to each their own. 

On further inspection the Runelord might be better. 10 points less (currently), has +2 to dispel rolls, and sure his prayers arent as good if you dont bring dwarves but on the topic of casting curse they're equal (admittedly her ability to throw mortal wounds or heals on turns she doesnt curse is actually pretty good) not to mention the 4+ save instead of a 6+. Just a thought I suppose.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yeah cursed city only.

We have runelords too but I have a great conversion to be Cleona (plus I have the actual model) so to each their own. 

On further inspection the Runelord might be better. 10 points less (currently), has +2 to dispel rolls, and sure his prayers arent as good if you dont bring dwarves but on the topic of casting curse they're equal (admittedly her ability to throw mortal wounds or heals on turns she doesnt curse is actually pretty good) not to mention the 4+ save instead of a 6+. Just a thought I suppose.

I was thinking about picking up a Runelord.  I gave both my last two dwarf heroes to my nephew who is playing D&D with his dad.  He lost one and so,. yeah.. 

Wish I had anything still to use as a RuneLord.  I feel having a priest on hand to dispel will be handy.  

Easy access to +1 hit is nice but it's unfortunate that he isn't a wizard to get flaming weapon. Finest hour and monster abilities will be nice for him though. 

They made all forests wyldwoods but not AWAKENED wyldwoods so thats a missed opportunity. It's worth noting that if you like to play on forest themed tables you have to expect you'll have tons of LoS blocking which is relevant for our shooting armies.

23 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Easy access to +1 hit is nice but it's unfortunate that he isn't a wizard to get flaming weapon. Finest hour and monster abilities will be nice for him though. 

They made all forests wyldwoods but not AWAKENED wyldwoods so thats a missed opportunity. It's worth noting that if you like to play on forest themed tables you have to expect you'll have tons of LoS blocking which is relevant for our shooting armies.

Isn't there a generic artefact that makes a hero a wizard? Or is that a Warlord trait? Would mean giving up the LC weapon though :/

Edited by SentinelGuy

On 6/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, SentinelGuy said:

If only they had added in the Silver Tower priest with the gryph. That would have given CoS another useful priest.

Any thoughts on Durthu in the new edition? Seems like he could be a real winner.

They could go back and fix those warscrolls for us,.. but GW is a moving forward company, not a looking back these days.

All character/hero monsters got better.  Access and whatnot has opened up so he hasn't gotten worse.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, SentinelGuy said:

Isn't there a generic artefact that makes a hero a wizard? Or is that a Warlord trait? Would mean giving up the LC weapon though :/

If he is not a wizard he can cast one spell from the Lore of Leaves.  Doesn't make him a wizard unless there is a BRB item that does it.

9 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

They could go back and fix those warscrolls for us,.. but GW is a moving forward company, not a looking back these days.

All character/hero monsters got better.  Access and whatnot has opened up so he hasn't gotten worse.

If he is not a wizard he can cast one spell from the Lore of Leaves.  Doesn't make him a wizard unless there is a BRB item that does it.

The generic artefact does seem to make him a wizard:

Arcane Tome: The pages of this ancient grimoire grant the bearer arcane power.
The bearer becomes a Wizard that knows the Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield spells. They can attempt to cast 1 spell in your hero phase and attempt to unbind 1 spell in the enemy hero phase. If the bearer is already a Wizard, they can attempt to cast 1 additional spell instead.

1 minute ago, KydbrookP said:

The generic artefact does seem to make him a wizard:

Arcane Tome: The pages of this ancient grimoire grant the bearer arcane power.
The bearer becomes a Wizard that knows the Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield spells. They can attempt to cast 1 spell in your hero phase and attempt to unbind 1 spell in the enemy hero phase. If the bearer is already a Wizard, they can attempt to cast 1 additional spell instead.

It's a command trait, not artifact.

9 minutes ago, KydbrookP said:

It’s an artefact in my pdf: 27.5.2, page 36.

Ah, damn, I misread, sorry. I though you were still talking about Living City. Living City has a command trait for casting a spell, not an artifact, but new generic artefact is much better for that.

By the way, Deepmire Cloak on a Nomad Prince in cover while being in melee with a ranged unit can be hilariously trollish. Imagine an Ironclad that HAS to fire on Nomad prince, because he is the only thing within 3, but he CAN'T. Just gotta survive Unleash Hell, because you can't be "in cover" in the turn you are charging.

Edited by Zeblasky

4 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

Ah, damn, I misread, sorry. I though you were still talking about Living City. Living City has a command trait for casting a spell, not an artifact, but new generic artefact is much better for that.

By the way, Deepmire Cloak on a Nomad Prince in cover, while being in melee with a ranged unit is hilariously trollish. Imagine an Ironclad that HAS to fire on Nomad prince, because he is the only thing within 3, but he CAN'T.

Yeah, artefact does seem better than the Druid trait. Feel like maybe some interesting uses.

Trolling with Deepmire Cloak is a great idea