AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

Also remember that there are 2 turns in each battleround.  So you can run your eternal guard up on your turn. Then on your opponent's turn they will get the bonuses for not moving (as long as they don't pile in).

Also, don't sleep on drycha instead of Durthu.  She's a monster and can throw out a bucket of mortal wounds.  I think she will be better than Durthu as he doesn't get the wyldwood bonus.  Even with the 1 heal a turn, it's still really easy to knock off his 6 damage a swing.

• Like 1

This looks to be the most broken city. Definitely needs the no-charge after the extra move.

Also, anyone here not thinking about the ridiculous alpha striking double shoot units? XBowmen and Irondrakes being dropped within range deleting whole units? I immediately saw the same kind of power levels when LoN got their book and gravesites and Skaven got their rules. I feel like this is easily the new aspiring level of optimise hammer.

8 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

You taking them as a group of 30? I worry about being able to fit them all into cover with a group that big.

Oh, I'll be taking them in groups of 10, and putting them in like every piece of terrain that I can turn 2 or 3, not as one big unit. at 110 for a group I can afford at least that many, and it forces my opponent to guard objectives rather than being too aggressive, or they'll lose them. If they hold the objectives heavily, it blunts their offensive force, and I deploy them closer to their offensive line and shoot the ****** out of their units in combat, which should help me break them. And I maintain the option of reading the field and deciding on turn 1 that I need them, too.

Shadow Warriors are such versatile units, I'm honestly surprised at how little they cost for what they allow you to do, and force your opponent to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emissary said:

Also, don't sleep on drycha instead of Durthu.  She's a monster and can throw out a bucket of mortal wounds.  I think she will be better than Durthu as he doesn't get the wyldwood bonus.  Even with the 1 heal a turn, it's still really easy to knock off his 6 damage a swing.

This. I play sylvaneth and she is excellent. much more mobile than durthu, much more forgiving on the wounds due to so much of her damage being on 6s. And she is a caster. I think she will be much easier to make work and more consistent. She also doesn't require an artifact where durthu really wants one, which leaves you with another threat.

A freeguild general with griffon or a frostheart pheonix also seem excellent with either the command trait and or the relic. 2+ save +1 to wound and maybe striking first is pretty deadly, healing 1 wound per turn and excellent to take hits back.....

1 minute ago, Frowny said:

This. I play sylvaneth and she is excellent. much more mobile than durthu, much more forgiving on the wounds due to so much of her damage being on 6s. And she is a caster. I think she will be much easier to make work and more consistent. She also doesn't require an artifact where durthu really wants one, which leaves you with another threat.

A freeguild general with griffon or a frostheart pheonix also seem excellent with either the command trait and or the relic. 2+ save +1 to wound and maybe striking first is pretty deadly, healing 1 wound per turn and excellent to take hits back.....

I'd agree, initially I was going to use Durthu but I think Drycha is worth using over him - she's a wizard too, which will be nice to throw her sig spell or an endless spell around after she does her surprise burglarizing.

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

I'd agree, initially I was going to use Durthu but I think Drycha is worth using over him - she's a wizard too, which will be nice to throw her sig spell or an endless spell around after she does her surprise burglarizing.

You can't cast the turn you show up from a table edge since you show up in the movement phase.

55 minutes ago, Emissary said:

You can't cast the turn you show up from a table edge since you show up in the movement phase.

Well yeah, but assuming she doesn't just off and die, she'd be able to  the next turn! Durthu would just be sad and limp around with all his wounds on him after his ambush.

I'm also looking forward to trying out Drycha in a LC army, and of course I'll convert her to look like a life mage wearing a tree mech suit beacuse how cool wouldn't that be? I might even make her the general and give her the "knows all spells from the lore"-trait, or is that a bit much considering she can still only cast one spell per turn?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

I'm also looking forward to trying out Drycha in a LC army, and of course I'll convert her to look like a life mage wearing a tree mech suit beacuse how cool wouldn't that be? I might even make her the general and give her the "knows all spells from the lore"-trait, or is that a bit much considering she can still only cast one spell per turn?

She's a special character and so can't have command traits or magic items.

7 minutes ago, Emissary said:

She's a special character and so can't have command traits or magic items.

Gah I knew I missed something (also, maybe too many eggs in one basket, eh?)... can she still be given the spells from the lore though?

Never had to worry about stuff like this while playing free peeps But it is rather exciting to have so many new thing to keep track of.

Edited by Not-not-kenny

24 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

Gah I knew I missed something (also, maybe too many eggs in one basket, eh?)... can she still be given the spells from the lore though?

Never had to worry about stuff like this while playing free peeps But it is rather exciting to have so many new thing to keep track of.

Yeah, she can have spells from the lore.  The command trait restriction is one of the reason why you rarely see special characters that should be the warlord as the warlord.   It's kind of stupid.  

CP seem hard to get in Living City.  Beside the Adjutant, the Battalion and buying one for 50 pts, are there any other options for getting them? Any ideas welcome - we have some great ways to spend them but few ways to generate them.  It seems that the other cities all have more options, such as items or traits or spells.

CP are key to formulating strategy and tactics and with so few there doesn't feel like much wiggle room.

Am I missing something?

Anyone else finding points alittle restrictive. I'm mainly got free guild stuff as I had a good amount from whfb. Spent the last week rebasing. Plus I love the idea of just basic humans in a last ditch effort against all these fantastic monsters and crazy stuff. I'm just finding I can never get a list with everything I want in 😢

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

I think this is definitely one of the stronger cities. Anvilgard and Phoenicium look like the weaker options, I can't see a reason to choose either of them.

Anvilguard: Vitriolic Spray through a Spell portal or secetive warlock on a charging general, and 60 crossbowmen/darkshards. There will be no survivors except Morathi.

Phoenicium: Golden Mist has the potential to heal a LOT of damage, and can be used in the thick of it with "one with fire and ice". Especially useful with 2w+ units like cav or stormcast.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

CP seem hard to get in Living City.  Beside the Adjutant, the Battalion and buying one for 50 pts, are there any other options for getting them? Any ideas welcome - we have some great ways to spend them but few ways to generate them.  It seems that the other cities all have more options, such as items or traits or spells.

CP are key to formulating strategy and tactics and with so few there doesn't feel like much wiggle room.

Am I missing something?

Yeah I find this too, didn't manage to generate any CP with the Adjutant as I deep struck them and then lost the battlemage start of turn 2. It's a real issue as I have command abilities I want to use, but also kinda need to save a few for battleshock tests. Next game I think I need to keep the general and adjutant back at least for a turn or 2 to try and build up a bank of points.

18 hours ago, Moogoodoo said:

Im thinking of having a dragon and Durthu I'm my list as they both shoot they should be able to charge most things when they want, this is how list I'm thinking847188288_Screenshot_20191006-173516_WHAoS.jpg.d0c1476a1f501fbcd0d8aeb60e7133d1.jpg688320299_Screenshot_20191006-173525_WHAoS.jpg.b779b09355efa6b5c4f9b8cda6b64cd9.jpg

So I didn't want to just ignore your post but I don't really know what to suggest because your list is a bit all over the place and I don't know which direction you wanted to focus to offer advice.

A prince that's only buffing EG seems unnecessary. Having both a dragon AND Durthu seems excessive. The Hurricanum is a lot of points to be buffing only 200 points of Darkshards etc. So what do you most want this list to do because it could with alterations morph into a few different things.

• Like 1

New Living CIty List, 2k Points, 1 extra CP-

Leaders

Drycha Hamadreth

Lifesurge

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage

Ironoak Skin

Drakesworn Templar (General)

Ironoak Artisan, Spear of the Hunt, Stormlance

Lord- Castellant

Battlemage of Hysh,

Cage of Thorns, Pha's Protection

Battleline

20 Freeguild Handgunners

20 Freeguild Handgunners

20 Bleakswords

Endless Spells

Gemenids, Balewind Vortex

This list is basically meant to be a monster mash list focusing primarily on the stardrake with it's buffs, and using the drycha as a backup monster/dristraction-fex. While I *could* use the adjuntant rule by making the castellant my general, I'm pretty sure giving the templar ironoak artisan is a better plan- I really only need to use cp on the living city comand ability for the Templar and Drycha, along with perhaps the hurricanum if I need to get it into position  to buff more easily. Outside of that, I'm not too worried about battleshock- I expect losing battleshock won't be a major issue for this list, and I likely won't need help charging. Though I might end up being wrong and it is better to get those potential extra cp.

Other then that, I can't think of anything major I need to explain, but if you have any questions please ask! (i'd type up a full rundown, but kinda worn out atm ;>.<, so maybe later).

Edited by Drake Arron
Needed to reassess the list posted

While we are putting up lists:

Nomad Prince with General, Druid of the Everspring, Ironoak Skin

Sorceress with General's Adjunct, Cage of Thorns

Dreadlord on Black Dragon with Exile Blade and Repeater Crossbow, Spear of the Hunt

Drycha Hamadreth with Lifesurge

30 Eternal Guard

10 Sisters of the Watch

10 Sisters of the Watch

10 Shadow Warriors

10 Shadow Warriors

3 Kurnoth Hunters with Greatswords

Emerald Lifeswarm

Extra Command Point

Idea is that the list is flexible to adapt to the mission or opponent.  If the mission warrants it, I can bring in Drycha and the Dreadlord on their table edge, both can shoot, then use the 2 first turn command points to move both and then choice targets.  Both will get to fight before anyone else (except for guys like Slaanesh)  Drycha also has Lifesurge to help heal if they survive.  The Shadow Warriors will also deep strike onto terrain to get better first turn shooting.  Either or both sets of Sisters can start in my deployment zone or can come on from a table edge depending on the mission.  Then have the Eternal Guard, Kurnoth Hunters, Sorceress and Nomad Prince  make their way up the table and grab the objectives and hold them while the rest of the army is causing chaos in their deployment zone. 

Also, it's important to know that the Nomad Prince is not a wizard, so cannot cast the Lifeswarm even though he can cast Ironoak Skin.  Hence, why he gets that spell which he can use every turn.

Edited by Emissary

What are people's thoughts on Battleline options in the Living City?

Eternal Guard seem like a very solid choice, though pretty spendy now. I'm liking the look of Freeguild Crossbowmen with their 24" range and double shots for being stationary. Sisters of the Watch are similarly tempting, but damn they're expensive.

It's probably also worth looking at a block of 20 Dryads, which wont get their bonus from Wyldwoods, but might still be a solid choice.

Edited by thediceabide

You battleline is all over the place.... I'd pick one race for your battleline and go from their. Either freeguild or dwarves.

If dwarves,  Drop the liberators and freeguild guard and 10 longbeards. Their best feature is their buff anyway, so not much lost there going to minimum size. Use all the points you've freed up to get some ironbreakers or irondrakes. Done. Now everybody buffs everyone.  

If freeguild, drop the longbeards and liberators and runesmith and get   some freeguild guard, a general and/or a 2nd unit of handgunners. 

Also 2 endless spells with only 2 wizards is too much. 

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

You battleline is all over the place.... I'd pick one race for your battleline and go from their. Either freeguild or dwarves.

If dwarves,  Drop the liberators and freeguild guard and 10 longbeards. Their best feature is their buff anyway, so not much lost there going to minimum size. Use all the points you've freed up to get some ironbreakers or irondrakes. Done. Now everybody buffs everyone.  

If freeguild, drop the longbeards and liberators and runesmith and get   some freeguild guard, a general and/or a 2nd unit of handgunners. 

Also 2 endless spells with only 2 wizards is too much. 

If talking to me, I've already modified the post based on similar advice given elsewhere ;p. I could repost it I suppose but I didn't want to spam.

So I think I've figured the list I want to run for Living City.

Nomad Prince; Ironoak artisan, spear of the hunt

Battlemage; cage of thorns, not sure which base spell. Adjutant.

Arch-regent

Eternal guard×20; honored retinue

Sisters of the watch×20

Sisters of the thorn×5; ironoak skin

Wildwood rangers×20

Wild riders×5

Wild riders×5

Kurnoth Hunters w/ sword×3

Emerald lifeswarm

Extra cp.

That's 2000 on the nose. However I'm considering dropping the extra CP (as you can see I'm not using the turn one monster ambush command ability) and bringing either Soulsnare shackles with their massive 27" reach OR Shards of Valgharr for consistency and I cant decide which one if either is worth taking. Basically the list wants to bunker up the sisters and guard while using the spells to slow his army and break up its approach.

The 300 points of sylvaneth are open for debate as I'm sure there are other things I could spend the points on including shadow warriors or even tree revanant for more mobility. Also considering taking the druid command trait and gyrstrike instead of ironoak/spear just to have s 3rd caster as I kind of want to be casting shield/cage of thorns almost every turn and would still like to try to use ironoak or one of the endless spells sometime.

Thoughts?

• Like 2