AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

3 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Oh I didn't see those.  Is burning head good?  I saw it on the side of the box and was tempted to paint it up.

Yeah, re-rolls hits of 1 for all units wholly within 9". It can do some damage to you but gives your opponent an option to either move it away and not hurt you or do some MW but give you a buff. 

Assuming it’s true that Concussors and Knight-Incantor got 20pts cheaper, they seem even better options now. So I couldn’t resist trying out a list. 

Any thoughts on this:

Leaders:
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
Spell: Lifesurge

Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
Artefact: Spear of the Hunt

Freeguild General (General) (100)
Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan

Knight-Incantor (General's Adjutant) (120)
Spell: Cage of Thorns

Battleline:
Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
Quantity: 30

Freeguild Handgunners (Retinue) 100)
Quantity: 10

Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Other Units:
Concussors (440)
Quantity: 4

Freeguild Outriders (100)
Quantity: 5

Shadow Warriors (110)

Extra command point (50)

Total: 2000pts

Edited by KydbrookP
Typo

19 hours ago, Grimmlock619 said:

Yeah, re-rolls hits of 1 for all units wholly within 9". It can do some damage to you but gives your opponent an option to either move it away and not hurt you or do some MW but give you a buff. 

Hmm yeah not bad, and good value.  YOu can get rrs on 1s cheaper than a Knight of Azyros but could be tricky to get the spell off moving forward vs Seraphon and Lumineth.  

Assuming the leaked points changes are real (and that's a big if for the stuff that isn't actually showing photos of pages from the GHB) I was pretty sad about the Scourgerunner Chariot changes. Gyrocopters are a decent sub for my purposes with extra offensive potential, but they don't fill the defensive role as well.

Then I realized Aetherwings are going down to 40. That is some real potential for shenanigans right there. What I really wanted out of my scourgerunners was to be as cheap as possible to allow me to deepstrike more units and to get in the opponent's way/force them to waste time. Aetherwings might actually be better at both of those roles.

30 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Assuming the leaked points changes are real (and that's a big if for the stuff that isn't actually showing photos of pages from the GHB) I was pretty sad about the Scourgerunner Chariot changes. Gyrocopters are a decent sub for my purposes with extra offensive potential, but they don't fill the defensive role as well.

Then I realized Aetherwings are going down to 40. That is some real potential for shenanigans right there. What I really wanted out of my scourgerunners was to be as cheap as possible to allow me to deepstrike more units and to get in the opponent's way/force them to waste time. Aetherwings might actually be better at both of those roles.

I think this was the crux of the problem.  As a chaff unit they exceeded in many areas.  Cheap, board control, MW output, healing, descent save, good mobility, boosted the army regarding ambushing.  I think a lot of people saw the points change coming.  They were from the get go really obviously great. 

2 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I think this was the crux of the problem.  As a chaff unit they exceeded in many areas.  Cheap, board control, MW output, healing, descent save, good mobility, boosted the army regarding ambushing.  I think a lot of people saw the points change coming.  They were from the get go really obviously great. 

Ohh yeah, for sure. I was expecting a points bump but was figuring it'd more likely be 10 than 20. I think the change is really justified. For me the order of importance was:

1. Cheap wounds
  2. Board control
  3. Damage (distant third)

So I'm pretty excited that Aetherwings might be able to do an even better job at #1 and #2 even though they give away #3.

I guess they are actually dead even on defensive efficiency (40pt Aetherwings vs 60pt Scourgerunner Chariot) but being cheaper in absolute terms is a big advantage. Part of what I wanted to accomplish with lone chariots was to get my deepstrike tax as low as possible and also to force my opponent to spend an activation getting as little as possible out of it, and Aetherwings do both of those even better than Scourgerunners did.

On board control it's a bit of a wash. Being able to double move scourges was nice but not all that practical when running them as single entities (particularly if you are deepstriking most of your heroes). The big bases were also nice. But 3 Aetherwings has reasonable coverage too and their ability to fly is HUGE. Their charge blocking ability might even make a single unit of raptors worth considering.

3 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

So I'm pretty excited that Aetherwings might be able to do an even better job at #1 and #2 even though they give away #3.

I guess they are actually dead even on defensive efficiency (40pt Aetherwings vs 60pt Scourgerunner Chariot) but being cheaper in absolute terms is a big advantage. Part of what I wanted to accomplish with lone chariots was to get my deepstrike tax as low as possible and also to force my opponent to spend an activation getting as little as possible out of it, and Aetherwings do both of those even better than Scourgerunners did.

On board control it's a bit of a wash. Being able to double move scourges was nice but not all that practical when running them as single entities (particularly if you are deepstriking most of your heroes). The big bases were also nice. But 3 Aetherwings has reasonable coverage too and their ability to fly is HUGE. Their charge blocking ability might even make a single unit of raptors worth considering.

I am intrigued with this Aetherwing proposal.  I am fairly ignorant to SCE stuff.  Looks like birds on 32 mm bases?  Do you have to buy the Stormcast raptor guys?  Can you buy single unit drops of an Aetherwing?   I wish we could still buy Gryphhounds as singles.  Even a unit, I have some old 1980s Wood Elf beastmaster models, I could proxy those but I don't have enough for 6 models.

10 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I am intrigued with this Aetherwing proposal.  I am fairly ignorant to SCE stuff.  Looks like birds on 32 mm bases?  Do you have to buy the Stormcast raptor guys?  Can you buy single unit drops of an Aetherwing?   I wish we could still buy Gryphhounds as singles.  Even a unit, I have some old 1980s Wood Elf beastmaster models, I could proxy those but I don't have enough for 6 models.

Yeah, they only come packaged with the raptors. Min unit size is 3 models for 40 points it looks like. You don't have to take them alongside raptors. Base size is 32mm, so 3x spaced maximum distance is 172.2mm across. So their total footprint is approximately 324.6mm in one direction and approximately 184.4mm in the other if you string them in a line. If you place them in a triangle you'll get a different shape, clearly. I don't really feel like taking the time to figure out the dimensions there though! Scourgerunner has a footprint of 272.4mm one way and 242.4 the other. So yeah, roughly comparable..

• Like 1

Hey all, Sylvaneth player here looking to convert to Living City until we see changes to  the treefolk. I'm in love with the strike and melt away shenanigans that this city can do so I wrote up a list trying to capitalize on that command ability. 

LEADERS
Nomad Prince (120) - General - Command Trait : Ironoak Artisan - Artefact : Wardroth Horn
Battlemage (90) - Lore of Leaves : Ironoak Skin - City Role : General's Adjutant - Mortal Realm : Ghyran
Knight-Azyros (100)

UNITS
10 x Eternal Guard (130) - City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
4 x Fulminators (440)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380) - Scythes

BEHEMOTHS
Celestial Hurricanum (220)

Extra Command Point (50)
1980/2000

So the idea is to deploy a bubble of eternal guard + general/adjutant on the home objective. The Kurnoths will deploy in own territory as well and walk up to another objective. Meanwhile the Knight-Azyros/Hurricanum/Fulminators/Sisters will set up hidden. Fulminators will deep strike with Knight-Azyros and Hurricanum buffs, with the Sisters optionally deep striking with this group if a screen needs to be removed before the Fulminators can do their shoot+move+charge into a key target. The plan is that this gives the Kurnoths time to bunker up on an objective while the enemy has to walk up to the Fulminators to deal with them as Fulminators can't really be killed by shooting.

Any feedback is welcome, I'm writing this list with an upcoming tournament in mind and I really want to try the Fulminators+Knight-Azyros combo as I have those painted up/converted in a Sylvaneth/Living City theme and absolutely love those models. It's mostly the battleline choices I'm uncertain about and unfamiliar with as I haven't played other cities before.

Cheers,

Edited by Kiekeboe
  • Like 1

@Kiekeboe keep in mind that Knight-Azyros needs to be close to the target, not the attacker in order to trigger his buff. He doesn't have a shooting attack, so he can't be double moved. Thus I don't think he's a great candidate for deep striking. If you deep strike him, your rr1's to hit will only be able to reach something that is <16" away from the board edge that you are coming in from. If you deploy him on the table he can move up 12" plus run which should get him at or past the middle of the table in most battleplans. There may be some situations where you want to deep strike him but I think you will want to keep him on the table pretty often.

Things may change when the cities points drop, but here's a draft based on what we know so far:

Spoiler

Nomad Prince (120)

Knight-Azyros (100)

Celestial Hurricanum with battlemage (280)

2x10 Sisters of the Watch (320)

1x20 Sisters of the Watch (320)

2x3 Aetherwings (120)

1x3 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

4x1 Gyrocopters (280)

2x10 Shadow Warriors (220)

1x5 Freeguild Pistoliers (100)

TOTAL: 1990

The idea here is to have an extremely flexible army that can operate in several different configurations depending on the battleplan and opponent. Coming in at 16 drops  this army will almost never have the choice of turn, but I've built with that in mind and don't particularly mind being forced to play either first or second.  I do think that this list is going to be very difficult to play and will require really good target prioritization and situational adaptation. It's definitely not point and click. I'll also freely concede that it may have a hard time with certain matchups and battleplans. For example, I know that Idoneth eel spam is going to be a real problem.

Most of the time I suspect that I'll be setting up the 4 Gyrocopters, 5 pistoliers, Knight-Azyros, and 3 Aetherwings on the table to start (only 520 points!) with the rest off table. These units will mostly be trying to harass objectives, get in damage where possible. I can then drop the rest either together or in two clusters. Although nothing in the list can melee, my goal is to make my core shooting bunker as difficult to attack as possible through prioritized targeting, stand and shoot, and Aetherwing interference. I can then drop Shadow Warriors to contest objectives cleared by shooting.

Another version:

Spoiler

Freeguild General (100)

Celestial Hurricanum with battlemage (280)

Knight-Azyros (100)

30 Freeguild Crossbows (300)

4x10 Freeguild Handgunners (400)

10 Shadow Warriors (110)

2x3 Aetherwings (80)

2x1 Gyrocopters (140)

3 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

3x5 Freeguild Pistoliers (300)

Total: 1980

I can imagine replacing 1 or 2 units of pistoliers with either handgunners, another Knight-Azyros, or possibly a second unit of Shadow Warriors. Same basic concept, just a different configuration. This one starts a bit heavier on the board.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

@Kiekeboe keep in mind that Knight-Azyros needs to be close to the target, not the attacker in order to trigger his buff. He doesn't have a shooting attack, so he can't be double moved. Thus I don't think he's a great candidate for deep striking. If you deep strike him, your rr1's to hit will only be able to reach something that is <16" away from the board edge that you are coming in from. If you deploy him on the table he can move up 12" plus run which should get him at or past the middle of the table in most battleplans. There may be some situations where you want to deep strike him but I think you will want to keep him on the table pretty often.

Thanks, yeah I figured he would only be in range for the first round of shooting but I also thought that would be the most important one. I'd set him up shining his lantern on 1, hopefully 2 units and deploy the fulminators and possibly sisters behind/next to him to make sure their shooting goes well. If the table allows it I could indeed deploy during deployment and run him up into a better position, good suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Another variation on the same theme:

Spoiler

Anointed on Frostheart (320)

Celestial Hurricanum (280)

Freeguild General (100)

3x1 Gyrocopter (210)

2x10 Handgunner (200)

30 Crossbows (300)

10 Shadow Warriors (110)

3 Longstrikes (170)

2x3 Aetherwings (80)

5 Sisters of the Thorn (130)

Soulscream Bridge (100)

Not sure if this brings enough ranged firepower to get the job done, tbh.

I have decided that I will try and make Viridian Pathfinders work and I will do it whilst avoiding the usual copy/paste lists 😅 (ok, it's probably going to suck, but it's getting really stale watching the same style lists play over and over).

Here's the list, the "back of a cigarette packet" plan follows after.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Druid of the Everspring - Ironoak Skin
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Leaves: Lifesurge
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Lord-Aquilor (170)
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt

Battleline
20 x Wildwood Rangers (260)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (130)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Lore of Leaves: Cage of Thorns
10 x Darkshards (100)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)
6 x Aetherwings (80)

Behemoths
Treelord (180)

Battalions
Viridian Pathfinders (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Plan -

The 3 Ranger units and Prince stay off board to use the Viridian Pathfinders ability. The Treelord stays hidden and the Shadow Warriors do their thing.

That leaves the Sorceress and her Darkshard sacrifice unit, the Thorns, Aetherwings, Raptors and Aquilor on the table at the start.

The Sorceress gets Cogs out ASAP, the Rangers and Prince pop up, as does the Treelord. The Aquilor uses his command ability and redeploys along with the Raptors (and their 54 shots). The Thorns, Aetherwings and Shadow Warriors can be wherever I need them the most, using their speed or deployment options to move as needed. Those birds are actually quite useful at supporting the Raptors, I didn't realize their protection ability kicked in at such a distance! 

If the dice gods are about, I should get the Rangers, Prince, Aquilor and Treelord into combat, and almost everything else up there shooting, spell casting or just getting in the way. The Sorceress and Darkshards can just hang back on an objective or in cover.

One thing I still have to decide is which magic item to take as my second. Our magic items really do suck.

So yeah, that's what I'm trying next.

Edited by SentinelGuy
Spelling
  • Like 2

Well one thing is for certain - I need a hurricanum in the list. That +1 to hit is too good to give up. But it's where to shave the list back to get the points.

The treelord could go I suppose. His stomp is useful and he can take a few blows but he isn't critical to the list and the mortal wounds from the hurricanum will make up for some of the lost damage. Cutting back the aetherwings to 3 would then provide the rest I require.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to run the hurricanum without a wizard :/

Only problem with that is it would mean swapping out the sorceress for the wizard rider and with a force that can be so spread out, I don't really have the option to leave the hurricanum back to babysit the cogs. And I can't use our city deployment with the hurricanum and get cogs out on turn 1, which is probably when they will be needed most.

Hmm

Edited by SentinelGuy
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried either of the stardrakes in living cities? The easy access 2+ save seems solid, casting boost is good, and the Drakesworn can even shoot to move if needed. The biggest problem is surely the cost for damage output though....

I'm also wondering about outriders. They seem solid to pop up and shoot from a flank with a nearby general. Or maybe that doesn't work since lists are too light on CPs to both move shoot move and still have a command point for the free guild general?

Edit- also why the fulminators? Desolations seem better to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Frowny
Add more

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Has anyone tried either of the stardrakes in living cities? The easy access 2+ save seems solid, casting boost is good, and the Drakesworn can even shoot to move if needed. The biggest problem is surely the cost for damage output though....

Stardrakes are... ok.  However, if you look at the only competitive usage of them, you are looking at a "starcast" list which is looking to run a stardrake, a second stardrake or Celestant prime, and a caster with the comet.  The problem with trying to do that in a living city list is that you can't bring 3 stormcast units (especially when they are as expensive as stardrakes), and the living city lacks good mortal wound output to replicate the effect otherwise - especially at range.  However, without trying to use the rain of stars to eliminate support hero's leaves you with a giant pillow as the centerpiece of your army.

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

I'm also wondering about outriders. They seem solid to pop up and shoot from a flank with a nearby general. Or maybe that doesn't work since lists are too light on CPs to both move shoot move and still have a command point for the free guild general?

Outriders are kind of underwhelming.  If you want damage, you are going to want to bring an infantry unit.  If you want mobility, you are better off bringing scourgerunner chariots (where a unit of 3 will deal over 2x as much damage as a 10 man squad of outriders for only 10 more points).  And if you want something that can shoot and then command point move, you are generally going to want to bring something that can effectively use that to charge into melee.  Yes, you can get a good number of bonuses onto outriders, making them a 3+/2+ profile between a general and a hurricanum, but to do so you are forcing them to stand still.  Basically, they just aren't efficient enough for their points, so you don't see them.

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

Edit- also why the fulminators? Desolations seem better to me but maybe I'm missing something.

This is easy to see if you run the numbers.  On the charge, an equal number of fulminators will always do the most damage (6 damage/model), followed by desolators in groups of 6+ (5.5 damage/model), and then finally concussors (5.33 damage/model).  However, if the number of models drops below 6, concussors outdamage the desolators, though both units will always outdamage fulminators that aren't charging.

However, this is half the story.  The other half is that it is extremely easy to get charges off with your dracothian guard unit because you can deploy them on the board edge, shoot, scoot in to 3" range, and then get the charge off.  Lastly, there is the question of how many points you can push into the unit.  Having to take a 6 man unit of desolators is VERY expensive, and it is hard to justify pushing 570 points into that rather than other available units.  However, dumping 480 points into a pack of 4 fulminators/concussors leaves you with that unit and enough points for another battleline unit, or a hero, while still having enough punch to be worth bringing.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, readercolin said:

This is easy to see if you run the numbers.  On the charge, an equal number of fulminators will always do the most damage (6 damage/model), followed by desolators in groups of 6+ (5.5 damage/model), and then finally concussors (5.33 damage/model).  However, if the number of models drops below 6, concussors outdamage the desolators, though both units will always outdamage fulminators that aren't charging.

However, this is half the story.  The other half is that it is extremely easy to get charges off with your dracothian guard unit because you can deploy them on the board edge, shoot, scoot in to 3" range, and then get the charge off.  Lastly, there is the question of how many points you can push into the unit.  Having to take a 6 man unit of desolators is VERY expensive, and it is hard to justify pushing 570 points into that rather than other available units.  However, dumping 480 points into a pack of 4 fulminators/concussors leaves you with that unit and enough points for another battleline unit, or a hero, while still having enough punch to be worth bringing.

Thanks for this summary.  Comparing Concussors to Fulminators for the first time today, I completely get your argument that you’re almost guaranteed the first turn charge but beyond that are the Fulminators going to deal more damage over the course of the game?  Concussors do a flat 2 damage and Fulminators 3 on the charge, 1 otherwise.  

Let’s assume they are going to be in combat for 4 turns.  Further they are *probably* only going to get the charge on T1 because they are likely to be right up amongst the opponent’s army and will be counter charged/bogged down.  Well that means each Fulminator hit is going to do 3+1+1+1 = 6 damage over the course of the game.  Concussors on the other hand are 2+2+2+2=8 AND have the added bonus of doing mortals in addition on hits of 6.

Even if we end up getting two charges in with the fulminators, each hit is still only doing 8 damage over the course of the game and zero mortals so it seems like from a pure damage perspective they are likely to be worse in the long run.

In their favour they are slightly more favourable vs missile attacks and you stand a better chance of wiping out a key target on turn 1 which could make the difference.

Given all of that I feel like Concussors are still the best choice.  Appreciate any more thoughts or corrections because like I said, it’s my first time looking at these units today!

Your math for the different dracoths ignores their cost. Desolators are as damaging per point against big squads and since they are cheaper, they are sturdier per point. Obviously worse against single targets but still better when charged, even against single targets. 

8 hours ago, Lebenski said:

Thanks for this summary.  Comparing Concussors to Fulminators for the first time today, I completely get your argument that you’re almost guaranteed the first turn charge but beyond that are the Fulminators going to deal more damage over the course of the game?  Concussors do a flat 2 damage and Fulminators 3 on the charge, 1 otherwise.  

Let’s assume they are going to be in combat for 4 turns.  Further they are *probably* only going to get the charge on T1 because they are likely to be right up amongst the opponent’s army and will be counter charged/bogged down.  Well that means each Fulminator hit is going to do 3+1+1+1 = 6 damage over the course of the game.  Concussors on the other hand are 2+2+2+2=8 AND have the added bonus of doing mortals in addition on hits of 6.

Even if we end up getting two charges in with the fulminators, each hit is still only doing 8 damage over the course of the game and zero mortals so it seems like from a pure damage perspective they are likely to be worse in the long run.

In their favour they are slightly more favourable vs missile attacks and you stand a better chance of wiping out a key target on turn 1 which could make the difference.

Given all of that I feel like Concussors are still the best choice.  Appreciate any more thoughts or corrections because like I said, it’s my first time looking at these units today!

I agree that concussors are strong choices.  And as you can see from the numbers, it isn't like fulminators are head and shoulders above everything else.  If you are planning to use the units as a "I'm coming in and sticking around", then concussors are definitely better.  If however you think you can free the unit up, or if you bring along a knight-heraldor to give you retreat+run+charge, then fulminators become a lot more appealing.  Do keep in mind though that earlier damage is more impactful than later, simply because you can expect to lose models.  In general though, the damage difference is low enough that you can pretty easily get away with whichever looks cooler.

6 hours ago, Frowny said:

Your math for the different dracoths ignores their cost. Desolators are as damaging per point against big squads and since they are cheaper, they are sturdier per point. Obviously worse against single targets but still better when charged, even against single targets. 

Sure, in a squad of 6, you save 90 points by going with desolators rather than fulminators/concussors.  Considering that you can do that and bring another squad of cheap units, this is an argument in favor of the desolators.  However, then you have to decide whether or not you want to bring a squad of 6 rather than squads of 2 or 4.  Then you also need to decide whether it is still worth it if you are expecting to lose models each turn.  Overall, if you are willing to run them in a big unit, then sure.  For smaller units... not so much.

On 7/26/2020 at 1:43 PM, SentinelGuy said:

I have decided that I will try and make Viridian Pathfinders work and I will do it whilst avoiding the usual copy/paste lists 

Leaders
Nomad Prince (120)
- General

Battleline
10 x Darkshards (100)

Good for you.  

Make the Darkswords your retinue.  And your sorceress adjutant.  Just keep them behind the 20-man RAngers.  

I wish WWR would have gotten a points drop or they FAQed the battalion to be Rangers or EG.  

Also consider the NP with the spear.  He's not shabby and will surprise you.  He also heals well.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:28 AM, SentinelGuy said:

Well one thing is for certain - I need a hurricanum in the list.

The treelord could go I suppose. His stomp is useful and he can take a few blows but he isn't critical to the list and the mortal wounds from the hurricanum will make up for some of the lost damage. Cutting back the aetherwings to 3 would then provide the rest I require.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to run the hurricanum without a wizard :/

Yes. 

I agree, you want the wizard.

The thing about CoS that surprises people is it ain't cheap and plentiful building a list.  You really have to focus on what you have.  In the case you don't face monsters you really want to make sure you are hitting and wounding as much as you can.  So the NP and Hurricanum help

• Like 1

Hello, I am new to sigmar cities and I would like to play with a mixture of troops, but without being the laughter of the battlefield.
The units that I like and would like to add to my list of 2000 points are:
Drycha (300)
hurricarrum with magician (280)
10x crossbowmen (100)
10x crossbowmen (100)
10x handgunners (100)
4x Concussors (440)

total 1320

And from here it would be a reinforcement, Durthu seems to me an incredible monster.
Also put on a Shadow Warrior Unit and Scourgerunner Chariot.
I have no experience of what the shortcomings are on this list.
In my area it is played hard and I wish I could live up to it. What units do you recommend reinforcing?
Maybe some heroes to get more out of the rules?
Thank you very much.

Edited by Nezgor

49 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Good for you.  

Make the Darkswords your retinue.  And your sorceress adjutant.  Just keep them behind the 20-man RAngers.  

I wish WWR would have gotten a points drop or they FAQed the battalion to be Rangers or EG.  

Also consider the NP with the spear.  He's not shabby and will surprise you.  He also heals well.

Yes. 

I agree, you want the wizard.

The thing about CoS that surprises people is it ain't cheap and plentiful building a list.  You really have to focus on what you have.  In the case you don't face monsters you really want to make sure you are hitting and wounding as much as you can.  So the NP and Hurricanum help

What about this?

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Sorceress (90)
- Artefact: Deepmire Cloak
- Lore of Leaves: Cage of Thorns
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Leaves: Lifesurge
Lord-Aquilor (170)

Battleline
10 x Darkshards (100)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
1 x Gyrocopters (70)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Battalions
Viridian Pathfinders (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

I dropped the sisters of the Thorn and upgraded to the wizard on the hurricanum. Used the last points to pick up a gyrocopter for more blocking and objective play. 

Thoughts on this list?

Leaders

Anointed [100pts]: General

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage [280pts]

Sorceress [90pts]: General's Adjunct

Sorceress [90pts]

Battleline

10 Darkshards [100pts]

10 Darkshards [100pts]

30 Phoenix Guard [420pts]

Other

4  Desolators [380pts]

20 Sisters of the Watch [320pts]

Gyrocopter [70pts]

Endless Spells

Emerald Lifeswarm [50pts]

Total: 2000 pts

Basic strategy points:

- Anointed, Phoenix Guard, Sorceress, 10x Darkshards and Gyrocopter deployed on the battlefield

- First deepstriking group: Hurricanum + Desolators.  Doing their thing with Strike then Melt Away.

- Second deepstriking group: 20x Sisters, 10xDarkshards, Sorceress.  Deployed with the shards screening the sisters.  Assuming they get charged, the sisters will hopefully get two rounds of Stand and Shoot.

- Spell casters in all 3 blobs can cast Emerald Lifeswarm and return D6 wounds-worth of models where it is most needed , either on Desolators, Sisters or Phoenix Guard.

- Adjutant is absolutely necessary given the amount of CP we'll need.

- Gyrocopter just rounds out the last 70 points and is a 5th drop on the table allowing 5 in the Hidden Paths.  Could be something else, but he is a decent threat vs hordes.

- I'd love the Desolators to be Fulminators or Concussors but just can't get there points wise.

Feedback and thoughts much appreciated.

Edited by Lebenski
spacing

@Lebenski pretty close to some lists that we've seen success from already so I imagine it'll work. I don't love the double sorceress and I'm not a fan of the Anointed on foot. I'd much rather take a Nomad Prince to make the sisters battleline than make the PG battleline, but maybe my instinct on that is wrong.

Here's another list I've worked out that is rather the opposite of most of my other lists:

Anointed on Frostie (general, ironoak artisan, probably spear of the hunt as there probably isn't a better option)

Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage (Lifesurge)

30 Phoenix Guard

30 Freeguild Crossbowmen

30 Freeguild Handgunners

4 Desolators

The point here is to get the drops as low as possible. I'd love to expand the drop count a bit, but I don't know what the typical Kroak and IDK lists are coming in at. Basically I'd like to be able to choose first turn against opponents where that will be advantageous. Usually the hurricanum, crossbows and desolators will start off the board with the rest on the board. Sometimes though I can imagine using a different configuration, possible with the melee starting on the board and the ranged all off it.