AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

18 minutes ago, KydbrookP said:

That would be great - thanks so much! My one's wings are quite low and extend beyond the base, so I'm thinking of sticking it on a rock so it's not impending enemies piling on - or prevented from landing somewhere the base fits...

image.jpg.96d1c523caeae2252c145497a49459a5.jpg

image.jpg.7eb136f7758af6f63a9d5cdfede3a4ef.jpg

there you go

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Soxall said:

Is it better to use scourgerunners for their mortal wounds on shooting? Are the chariots not best suited for the deep strike charge combo?

I think when GHB 2020 comes out Drakespawn and Scourgerunner points will swap.  So I wouldn't rush into buying chariots just yet.  It could end up coming out within a couple months.  Sorry to be a downer.

9 hours ago, Soxall said:

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster on this forum.

I’m mid building my list for living city and have read a lot of this forum which is full of great breakdowns and analysis of the different units. I had a specific question though:

I’ve seen a few lists using scourgerunner chariots but none using the drake spawn equivalent - I had intended to use drake spawn as I thought the mortal wounds on charge would be good if they were deep striked and used the command ability for a charge. 

Is it better to use scourgerunners for their mortal wounds on shooting? Are the chariots not best suited for the deep strike charge combo?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

The drakespawn chariots aren't effective enough (or durable enough) in combat. The mortal wounds on the charge are nice but after that they don't really do anything, and will die to pretty much any combat unit's return attacks. 

The scourgerunner puts out quality shooting for its cost and can drive around the board peppering units without any real concern for retaliation.

Also the cost difference becomes increasingly apparent when you take units of 3.

Hello Guys and Gals,

First things first: english is not my native language, so I'm sorry if I'm butchering every sentence I write. 😉

I'm very new to the hobby in general but the Living City has caught my eye. I'm a big fan of the Kurnoth Hunters, Stormcast Cavalry and the Aesthetics of both in general, but pure Sylvaneth or Stormcast seems a bit boring to me (too much of the same wood or golden armour)... Moreover I like the style and fantasy of a big, nice... well... Living City. THERE IS SOOO MUCH STUFF!!! :D

So this is the list i was thinking of. We are trying to play 1750 points.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- Stronghold: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Freeguild General (100)
- General
Battlemage (90)
- Adjutant

10 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (100)
- Retinue
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
4 x Fulminators (480)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)

Total: 1630 / 1750

So, in the case this is not a total desaster, this list leaves me with 120 points open. Not decided on any Artefacts yet...

General ideas:

The General should be in the back, supporting the three ranged units. Maybe this block as a gradually advancing "shooting wall". The Crossbowmen are there to plink at the enemy to maybe goad them into the range of the gunners. Don't know how realistic that is. :D

I guess it would make sense to have a support hero to help the deepstriking Fulminators and Evocators (I know, they are not optimal because they cannot shoot), but which one?

I had my eye on a Knight-Venator, but he is not allowed as I already have 2 Stormcast units...

Or should I forego the support hero for the deep strike and take a unit of Longbeards as retinue to the general? Or maybe the Kurnoth? Or maybe split the Kurnoth into two units and take a Arch-Revenant as hero to buff them? :D

You see, I have many questions and hopefully you have some answers for me. All criticism and tips will of course be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CmdrStryker said:

Or should I forego the support hero for the deep strike and take a unit of Longbeards as retinue to the general? Or maybe the Kurnoth? Or maybe split the Kurnoth into two units and take a Arch-Revenant as hero to buff them? :D

The Arch-Rev can only buff one unit if you take them in two as far as i know (no book on hand).  If you were taking two units of 3 take them as Swords and don't take the Arch Rev..  If you were looking for a hammer unit take them as Scythes.  Also keep in mind they are always within range of a Sylvaneth hero so the Arch Rev can hide while they get the +1A command ability buff. 

- City: Living City

Leaders
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Leaves: Cage of Thorns
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Lance of Spite & Repeater Crossbow
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt

Battleline
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Lore of Leaves: Lifesurge
20 x Darkshards (200)
20 x Eternal Guard (260)

Units
4 x Concussors (480)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

My current list idea for Living City.

Prince has the Druid command trait and Ironoak Skin for his spell.
+2 to cast from the sorceress is huge with all the big boi casters running around lately

SotT can buff the eternal guard screen or run up to heal and support the drake deepstrike detachment

Dragon and Concussors are in the hidden path deepstrike threat/distraction.

Feeling starved for command points but a lot of tricks and options available to be implemented as needed.

Any obvious ideas for improvements? I really want to use my old dark elves as much as possible but seems like they are a better fit in the other cities.

Many Thanks

Here's a list I'm working on that sounds fun:

I'm playing a Stormcast army on Saturday (Anvils of the Heldenhammer) with 9 Longstrikes. We are also trying to play WYSIWYG so I can't really change toooo much haha.

Leaders
Sorceress (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Lore of Leaves: Ironoak Skin
Freeguild General (100)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Drycha Hamadreth (320)

Battleline
30 x Freeguild Guard (240)
- Halberds and Shields
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Darkshards (200)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 133

The idea would be to start Drycha, Durthu, Hurricanum, and of course Shadow Warriors off the board. Bring in Drycha and Hurricanum on one side turn 1 so she gets a buff in her shooting and Durthu Turn 2, depending on where he lands or places his Longstrikes. How does it look?

On 6/24/2020 at 10:11 AM, Slave2Chaos said:

+2 to cast from the sorceress is huge with all the big boi casters running around lately

who are you stabbing for the +2 with the Sorceress?  I assume the Darkshards?  Are they your retinue also?  

I like the list a lot.  

@Popisdead Indeed, the sorceress will be shanking the darkshards for the casting bonus. I am not 100% settled on who will be the retinue but I am leaning towards the darkshards for this as well. I don't want to tax the eternal guard more as they will be holding the line, and the 10 sisters are too fragile for that purpose.
An empowered lifeswarm at +2 to cast should allow me to keep the Eternal guard in the fight or replenish my casting bonus as needed.

Looking forward to getting it on the table and giving it a go.

@schwabbele it really depends on the rest of your list and what your overall goal will be. I've found both to be extremely useful in very different ways but tend not to use shadow warriors in my Living City lists. But in an attempt to be more helpful ....
I have never fielded Shadow warriors in units greater than 10. Finding them much more useful as distraction and objective grabbers. Multiple units create more targets and split your opponents attention/recourses.
Sisters on the other hand can be fielded in multiple units (and Hidden Path allows them to function similarly to shadow warriors) OR in larger bricks to take more advantage of their outstanding shooting. 
Keep in mind that leaning too heavily into either can be a trap. Id say 20 of each is the safest and most flexible of options unless you have a very specific list/tactic in mind.

Edited by Slave2Chaos

@CmdrStryker

I think that is a solid list, though I have never heard of a 1750pt event before lol. The only obvious improvement I would suggest would be to drop the Freeguild General and take your leftoever points to take a Hurricanum.

Note that a Hurricanum can buff all three shooty units without having to burn a CP while also contributing its own (excellent) shooting attack as well. 

@Slave2Chaos I would drop your 10 Darkshards and the Lifeswarm to increase one of your Sisters of the Watch units to 20. 

You really only need 10 to buff your sorceress and you don't have any good units to use the Lifeswarm on. You have Lifesurge if you need a quick heal on monsters.

Darkshards are great for filling in battleline slots, but once they start hitting 200pts+ there are better options. 

@Grimmlock619

I think your list is going to struggle. Your Halberds are your only combat block. Drycha is good and all but she can't carry the combat phase herself, and the vanguards will snipe her as soon as possible. 

This is a debated issue on this forum but personally I don't think Durthu is good oustside of Sylvaneth armies.   3 Attacks is just too unreliable, even on 2+/2+. And as soon as he takes 3 wounds he essentially just becomes a worse Dragon or Griffin. If you need to use the mode just field it as a Vanilla treelord and save yourself 120pts, an artefact and a whole lot of hearbreak haha.. 

Sorry if I sound negative. I have played a lot of games in Sylvaneth with Durthu and Drycha and so I have seen what they can/can't do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

@Slave2Chaos Thanks for your suggestions, I will go the 20 20 route, make the most sense :) . Issue is I have no list in my mind, more or less started a CoS project flying blind buying stuff I liked 😆

Exactly how my cities of Sigmar army came into being. It all started with some Dark Elves I had leftover from WHFB, started picking up a few more elves that i liked the looks of then one thing leads to another and now I have a bunch of elves, dwarves, stomrcast, and did you know you can include  Sylvaneth and KO thanks to TE and Living City .... buy buy buy ...

no humans though ... that's boring lol .. although I am being more and more  tempted to use "counts as" ad-mech conversions (inspired by a lot of others) . And now with the new 40k, even more of a reason to do so. 

Cities is a slippery slope my friend. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Sorry if I sound negative. I have played a lot of games in Sylvaneth with Durthu and Drycha and so I have seen what they can/can't do. 

No need for the sorry! Haha yeah I play Sylvaneth as well. Especially the idea of not being able to declare her emotions while shes off the board (I've seen both sides, some say yes, others say no) that initial attack wont be as potent, even with Hurricanum buffing her. And yeah, I love Durthu but not having a wood near him definitely hurts a bit. Hopefully I can knock out those Vanguard before they do too much damage. We shall see though. First game with CoS. Thanks for the imput!

4 minutes ago, Grimmlock619 said:

No need for the sorry! Haha yeah I play Sylvaneth as well. Especially the idea of not being able to declare her emotions while shes off the board (I've seen both sides, some say yes, others say no) that initial attack wont be as potent, even with Hurricanum buffing her. And yeah, I love Durthu but not having a wood near him definitely hurts a bit. Hopefully I can knock out those Vanguard before they do too much damage. We shall see though. First game with CoS. Thanks for the imput!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

In order to keep her emotion buff (and avoid rule arguments) you may just wanna keep her on the board and just move/shoot/move her. Thats 18" of movement plus a charge so its still pretty fast. 

30 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

I would drop your 10 Darkshards and the Lifeswarm to increase one of your Sisters of the Watch units to 20. 

You really only need 10 to buff your sorceress and you don't have any good units to use the Lifeswarm on. You have Lifesurge if you need a quick heal on monsters.

Darkshards are great for filling in battleline slots, but once they start hitting 200pts+ there are better options. 

1. I have 20 Darkshards, might as well use them.

2. Secondary screen to Eternal Guard

3. With the Sorceress stabbing them every turn, and being ablative wounds for my general they will be dying plenty. 20 keeps them around to perform both functions with the added benefit of keeping their +1 to hit while above 10 models.

4. Lifeswarm is primarily used to keep the eternal guard on the table and replenish sisters as needed. D6 models being returned. If for some reason the Eternal Guard are destroyed, the Dark Shards will be my next line of defense. Keeps the sisters firing longer, especially if I can pull off the 3' Loose Until the Last by keeping them just behind the Eternal Guard or Dark Shards.

5. Phoenix guard would be another route but I am trying to maximize the Wanderer synergies and give Eternal Guard a go.

Edited by Slave2Chaos

8 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

1. I have 20 Darkshards, might as well use them.

2. Secondary screen to Eternal Guard

3. With the Sorceress stabbing them every turn, and being ablative wounds for my general they will be dying plenty. 20 keeps them around to perform both functions with the added benefit of keeping their +1 to hit while above 10 models.

4. Lifeswarm is primarily used to keep the eternal guard on the table and replenish sisters as needed. D6 models being returned. If for some reason the Eternal Guard are destroyed, the Dark Shards will be my next line of defense. Keeps the sisters firing longer, especially if I can pull off the 3' Loose Until the Last by keeping them just behind the Eternal Guard or Dark Shards.

5. Phoenix guard would be another route but I am trying to maximize the Wanderer synergies and give Eternal Guard a go.

Fair point on the lifeswarm+eternal guard. That is a solid combo and I forget just how durable Eternal guard can be.

If the darkshards are just going to be a screen then 10 work just as well as 20, since they are going to die to anything that touches them.  Also 10 sisters will always outperform 10 extra darkshards, even at +1 to hit.

However if you are like me, you may not actually have a bajillion SotW models to field (or a bajillion dollars to buy them) and in that case I can totally respect the use of Darkshards haha. 

Phoenix Guard are kind of the clutch unit but I also like to try and theme my Cities armies to a certain faction like Dispossessed or Wanderers. Blending multiple factions just to maximize cheese just doesn't feel right haha. 

4 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

In order to keep her emotion buff (and avoid rule arguments) you may just wanna keep her on the board and just move/shoot/move her. Thats 18" of movement plus a charge so its still pretty fast. 

Thanks! What would your thoughts on lowering the Darks Shards to 10 and adding a unit of 10 Executioners? I know they aren't as good as Greatswords but I love the model. 

Yeah. Alarielle and Drycha really don’t need to be deployed off the board via hidden path with how fast they are. It will also avoid cumbersome rules arguments.

@Grimmlock619 it would give you another fast threat besides Durthu and Drycha (sort of lol). How limited are you on models and is there anything that’s a must have?

If this is still in regard to the 9 longstrikes I’m afraid your in for an uphill battle if so as they can reliably snipe off Durthu and Drycha a phase. Maybe try and get lifesurge in there somehow to top off their health in case he has a poor round of shooting.

I would actually recommend a tree lord ancient In this situation. He can summon trees to block LoS on those longstrikes. And if Durthu just so happens to be in said trees while swinging his sword then bonus. Give the ancient life surge and he will be best bro’s with Durthu.

I wouldn’t bother with hidden path in this case as those trees will make a decent LoS blocker right in the middle of the board.

32 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Yeah. Alarielle and Drycha really don’t need to be deployed off the board via hidden path with how fast they are. It will also avoid cumbersome rules arguments.

@Grimmlock619 it would give you another fast threat besides Durthu and Drycha (sort of lol). How limited are you on models and is there anything that’s a must have?

I dont really have that much more. The idea of a TLA with Durthu is pretty nice, especially with the 2 stomps. I'm still gonna give it a run with Drycha. I revised the list a little. Brought down the Guard and Shards by 10 and fit in a unit of Executioners and the Prismatic Palisade for some LoS blocking.

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan
Sorceress (90)
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Drycha Hamadreth (320)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Spears and Shields
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
10 x Executioners (130)

Prismatic Palisade (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 123

I feel this has a bit more potential. We shall hope. What I'm hoping for is baiting out the Longstrikes with Durthu and then HOPEFULLY flanking them with Drycha/Hurricanum. I'm loving all these tips. 

@Grimmlock619 so they only thing I really don’t like about your list is the 10 dreadspears.

Maybe switch them out for more free guild or another unit of 10 dark shards? Or more shadow warriors ... sisters of the watch or thorn ... dunno ... I just don’t much like 10 spears by themselves.  It will net you 130 points to play around with.

I've officially joined the side of Durthu NOT being the best choice to put in a list. Man, getting him bracketed hurts a lot. Drycha is definitely great inclusion though. I've realized that I needed more options in the combat phase. And a bit more sustainable list. Hopefully this works a bit more. 

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Druid of the Everspring - Ironoak Skin
- Artefact: Wardroth Horn
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Leaves: Cage of Thorns
Drycha Hamadreth (320)

Battleline
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
30 x Freeguild Handgunners (300)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 131

I actually like the feel of this list and giving adding a few extra attacks for the Kurnoth sounds nice. I'm trying to make room for an Emerald Lifeswarm. Any advise would be much appreciated. 

Also, what's the general consensus of Alarielle in a list?

Thanks!