AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

4 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

Yeah I'm already looking at getting some sisters of the watch, as I like the models a lot. What other units are decent?

I'm listening to this while working.

Which if you can, while working away is worth it.  Just to hear or catch other tidbits.  Also now I want to read The Children of Hurin :S

Also this could maybe help you https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Malign_Sorcery#Ghyran cause it shows you realm artifacts you may not be aware of.

8 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

The whole point of the Branchwych Bomb is to stack Thrones, because the spell does damage based on how many dice you roll. So ideally you would be casting Unleash Spites with like a +8 to cast eventually. So its really only feasible in a Sylvaneth Army.

But the Spellportal is a new idea. And if you could get that combo up and running it would be pretty powerful. 

valid point.  It doesn't look like you can move the portals after cast?  But does look like you can launch Endless spells through them.  Might be (surprise) utility there.

Edited by Popisdead
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm listening to this while working.

Which if you can, while working away is worth it.  Just to hear or catch other tidbits.  Also now I want to read The Children of Hurin :S

Also this could maybe help you https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Malign_Sorcery#Ghyran cause it shows you realm artifacts you may not be aware of.

valid point.  It doesn't look like you can move the portals after cast?  But does look like you can launch Endless spells through them.  Might be (surprise) utility there.

Those guys in the podcast are mistaken. You cannot throw endless spells through the portal like they are describing.

1) can't throw endless spells through portals like a normal spell
2) you CAN move a predetory endless spell close to the portal, which will teleport it to the other side. But it will finish its move on the first portal, thus it's ability will effect that area, and not where it teleports afterwards.

• Like 1

Well I’m at the point in my AoS journey where fielding a Living City army is feasible for me after the release of LRL combining what I’m planning on buying and what I already have.  

I’m thinking of just proxying the Lumineth Auralan Wardens as Phoenix Guard for this list.  

320 - Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix

100 Anointed

80 - Battlemage
140 - Knight-Incantor

300 Spirit of Durthu

160 Phoenix Guard (10)
160 Phoenix Guard (10)

160 Phoenix Guard (10)

400 Kurnoth Hunters (6) Scythes

I’m kind of at a loss of who to make the General and such.  This list weighs in at 1830 points.  What can I add in to get to 2k?  This isn’t meant to be a tournament winning list, but just a chance to field awesome models together.  I also don’t have the Flamesypre Phoenix kit yet so I’m not sure if I’m sold on the Frostheart over the Flamespyre either.  

PG are a pretty sturdy anvil.  There are a couple hammers in the list and being to deep strike with the allegiance ability on Durthu, plus the threat of bringing in 6 Kurnoth Hunters from a table edge is pretty nice. 

this is the formative stage of the list as I don’t own all the models, but will have them once LRL get released.  Looking for any and all advice on who take as General, who to give artifacts/Command Traits to and which spells to use from the Lore of Leaves.  

thanks!!!

@Rhetoric

Have you played many games with Phoenix Guard in 10s as opposed to the common 30-guy block? I regularly play someone whose main list includes a 30 block of PG and it's hell to deal with. I would imagine 10 mans would be much less so since they don't take buffs so well and can't all hit at once at the start of the combat phase.

4 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Well I’m at the point in my AoS journey where fielding a Living City army is feasible for me after the release of LRL combining what I’m planning on buying and what I already have.  

I’m thinking of just proxying the Lumineth Auralan Wardens as Phoenix Guard for this list.  

100 Anointed
80 - Battlemage
140 - Knight-Incantor
300 Spirit of Durthu

160 Phoenix Guard (10)
160 Phoenix Guard (10)
160 Phoenix Guard (10)

I’m kind of at a loss of who to make the General and such.  This list weighs in at 1830 points.  What can I add in to get to 2k?  This isn’t meant to be a tournament winning list, but just a chance to field awesome models together.  I also don’t have the Flamesypre Phoenix kit yet so I’m not sure if I’m sold on the Frostheart over the Flamespyre either.  

PG are a pretty sturdy anvil.  There are a couple hammers in the list and being to deep strike with the allegiance ability on Durthu, plus the threat of bringing in 6 Kurnoth Hunters from a table edge is pretty nice. 

this is the formative stage of the list as I don’t own all the models, but will have them once LRL get released.  Looking for any and all advice on who take as General, who to give artifacts/Command Traits to and which spells to use from the Lore of Leaves.  

thanks!!!

While I understand wanting to use the best infantry available, and not really wanting to buy a whole lot, the Lumineth Wardens don't really make a good proxy.  Having spears and shields, could make them reasonable proxies for Eternal Guard, or Dreadspears, but phoenix guard having halberds and no shields makes the proxy rather poor, unless you are planning to do a good bit of converting. 

Speaking for myself, if this is something that you were repeatedly doing, I wouldn't really want to play against that army because of how far away from WYSIWYG.  Trying the proxy a time or two before buying them?  Sure.  But I would rather play against unpainted grey plastic halberd models than something that looks so different from what they are trying to represent.  And yes, this is something that has come up in my local gaming circle (someone was playing eternal guard as phoenix guard, and it caused a few issues with people not remembering what they were going against, simply because they didn't look at all like what the model was representing).

As for the list itself, there are a few other concerns.  First, you are very melee heavy, and there are a lot of armies out there right now that have important to remove hero's that they can screen well against melee, and are better in melee than cities is.  Second, you are bringing the Spirit of Durthu, and no way of generating sylvaneth wyldwoods.  3 attacks with a chance of doing 6 damage is... mediocre, especially when he is relatively easy to bracket and immediately drops for 6 to d6 damage at the first bracketing.  5 attacks (which is what he gets when near a wyldwood) is MUCH better.  I just don't really feel that he is worth 300 points without the wyldwoods or without better healing to more consistently keep him in his top bracket.

As a whole, the list doesn't really do anything particularly well.  It is trying to be a melee beatstick army in a format where there are much better melee beatsticks around.  It isn't really playing towards the strengths that Cities can bring to the table.  However, the sheer warscroll power available from the Phoenix Guard and the Kurnoth Hunters are going to be enough to win you some games, and occaisonally you'll get a few good swings in with the spirit of durthu and he'll eliminate a big threat from your opponent and everyone will think that he is such an OP warscroll and how is he allowed to exist.  Most of the time he'll be MUCH worse, but those occasional games will make you think you are a star for bringing him.

Realistically, if you are determined to buy the Lumineth Realm Lords, you could more easily proxy their archers as Sisters of the Watch, and swap the Annointed for a Nomad Prince to make your general and get your necessary battleline.  It still isn't as nice as a decent conversion or just the models themselves, but it is at least an elf with a bow in place of an elf with a bow.  Additionally, this gets you a few powerful shooting threats.  For extra points, you can bring in the Wardens as Eternal Guard (an elf with spear+shield representing an elf with spear+shield) and use them to screen your sisters, and that also helps to fill out your points some more.

18 minutes ago, readercolin said:

While I understand wanting to use the best infantry available, and not really wanting to buy a whole lot, the Lumineth Wardens don't really make a good proxy...

Do we actually know for sure that Lumineth are on 25s? Because that to me would present a much bigger issue than the proxy accuracy factor, as it has a tangible game effect. Most "shields" don't do anything but adjust your save and PGs already have a 4+ which is in line with the vast majority of units with shields, and they have 2" weapons meaning they actually behave more like spears than halberds (most halberds are 1"). If you have no other spear-wielding proxies this isn't going to confuse anyone.

Ultimately though any specific advice anyone here gives you about what's 'okay to proxy' is kind of rubbish anyway, because nobody on this forum is (I assume) playing with you, so any opinion you get here might not reflect the environment at your local tables. If there's any ambiguity you'll need to ask them, not us - where I play you could easily proxy just about any elfy unit with a polearm as a Phoenix Guard, but some clubs and local tourneys have strict WYSIWYG rules.

10 hours ago, readercolin said:

While I understand wanting to use the best infantry available, and not really wanting to buy a whole lot, the Lumineth Wardens don't really make a good proxy.  Having spears and shields, could make them reasonable proxies for Eternal Guard, or Dreadspears, but phoenix guard having halberds and no shields makes the proxy rather poor, unless you are planning to do a good bit of converting. 

Speaking for myself, if this is something that you were repeatedly doing, I wouldn't really want to play against that army because of how far away from WYSIWYG.  Trying the proxy a time or two before buying them?  Sure.  But I would rather play against unpainted grey plastic halberd models than something that looks so different from what they are trying to represent.  And yes, this is something that has come up in my local gaming circle (someone was playing eternal guard as phoenix guard, and it caused a few issues with people not remembering what they were going against, simply because they didn't look at all like what the model was representing).

As for the list itself, there are a few other concerns.  First, you are very melee heavy, and there are a lot of armies out there right now that have important to remove hero's that they can screen well against melee, and are better in melee than cities is.  Second, you are bringing the Spirit of Durthu, and no way of generating sylvaneth wyldwoods.  3 attacks with a chance of doing 6 damage is... mediocre, especially when he is relatively easy to bracket and immediately drops for 6 to d6 damage at the first bracketing.  5 attacks (which is what he gets when near a wyldwood) is MUCH better.  I just don't really feel that he is worth 300 points without the wyldwoods or without better healing to more consistently keep him in his top bracket.

As a whole, the list doesn't really do anything particularly well.  It is trying to be a melee beatstick army in a format where there are much better melee beatsticks around.  It isn't really playing towards the strengths that Cities can bring to the table.  However, the sheer warscroll power available from the Phoenix Guard and the Kurnoth Hunters are going to be enough to win you some games, and occaisonally you'll get a few good swings in with the spirit of durthu and he'll eliminate a big threat from your opponent and everyone will think that he is such an OP warscroll and how is he allowed to exist.  Most of the time he'll be MUCH worse, but those occasional games will make you think you are a star for bringing him.

Realistically, if you are determined to buy the Lumineth Realm Lords, you could more easily proxy their archers as Sisters of the Watch, and swap the Annointed for a Nomad Prince to make your general and get your necessary battleline.  It still isn't as nice as a decent conversion or just the models themselves, but it is at least an elf with a bow in place of an elf with a bow.  Additionally, this gets you a few powerful shooting threats.  For extra points, you can bring in the Wardens as Eternal Guard (an elf with spear+shield representing an elf with spear+shield) and use them to screen your sisters, and that also helps to fill out your points some more.

Thanks for the help?  Like I said, this isn’t a tournament winning list I was looking to make here.  I was asking for to help to fill it out and looking to field my collection of what I think are cool models.  

The only thing I didn’t consider was base size which is the only point that really matters, which you didn’t even mention. .  I’ve played two day tournaments where the proxies were pushing the limits of a proxy, but what you’re saying here is a little ridiculous.  I’ll still play someone who put a lot of time into their army, you can always ask what unit the proxy represents at any time in the game.  

I’ll just take my fun little list and have something to play when I’m not playing Idoneth and Sylvaneth.  

10 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

Do we actually know for sure that Lumineth are on 25s? Because that to me would present a much bigger issue than the proxy accuracy factor, as it has a tangible game effect. Most "shields" don't do anything but adjust your save and PGs already have a 4+ which is in line with the vast majority of units with shields, and they have 2" weapons meaning they actually behave more like spears than halberds (most halberds are 1"). If you have no other spear-wielding proxies this isn't going to confuse anyone.

Ultimately though any specific advice anyone here gives you about what's 'okay to proxy' is kind of rubbish anyway, because nobody on this forum is (I assume) playing with you, so any opinion you get here might not reflect the environment at your local tables. If there's any ambiguity you'll need to ask them, not us - where I play you could easily proxy just about any elfy unit with a polearm as a Phoenix Guard, but some clubs and local tourneys have strict WYSIWYG rules.

That’s true, I glanced over base size, that’s going to be an issue running the Wardens as PG.  I thought PG were on 32s. 

And yeah, I hear you, my club is very lenient with proxies, and so am I, if someone put a lot of time into their army I’m not going to make a fuss.  You can always ask what the unit is they are proxying at any time.   

On 5/23/2020 at 8:44 AM, Rune said:

Those guys in the podcast are mistaken. You cannot throw endless spells through the portal like they are describing.

1) can't throw endless spells through portals like a normal spell
2) you CAN move a predetory endless spell close to the portal, which will teleport it to the other side. But it will finish its move on the first portal, thus it's ability will effect that area, and not where it teleports afterwards.

Ah okay thanks for pointing that out.  much appreciated.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, Rhetoric said:

100 Anointed

80 - Battlemage
140 - Knight-Incantor

300 Spirit of Durthu

160 Phoenix Guard (10)
160 Phoenix Guard (10)

160 Phoenix Guard (10)

thanks!!!

Just some thoughts on the list. 

-I think Phoenix guard should be taken in larger units. Their strength lies in their durability and their ability to grind down scary units. Ten guys won't last long enough to do their job. I would recommend units of at least 20 but preferably 30. Use some of your remaining points to buy some cheap battleline  units to fill their vacancies.

-I don't think the second annointed is necessary. If you are worried that the Phoenix will be too far away to buff your Phoenix Guard then he doesn't really need to be mounted to begin with. Personally I would drop the guy on foot and just try to keep the mounted frosty nearby. Its also a great choice to for the Druid warlord trait since he then becomes a wizard and can buff his own save. 

-I think it was said before but Spirit of Durthu is not a warscroll that functions well outside of Sylvaneth armies. He needs multiple wyldwood forests and access to glades and specific Sylvaneth traits/items to be powerful. If you want a heavy Sylvaneth hitter that can move/shoot/move then I recommend Drycha or even just a vanilla Treelord. The vanilla Treelord is only 180pts now and is a decent value.

-I would actually prefer a Sorceress over a Battlemage in this list. Word of Pain + Ironoak Skin + Frost Phoenix is insanely powerful. Especially on Phoenix Guard and Kurnoth Hunters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

-I think Phoenix guard should be taken in larger units. ...

. Personally I would drop the guy on foot and just try to keep the mounted frosty nearby. Its also a great choice to for the Druid warlord trait since he then becomes a wizard and can buff his own save. 

-I think it was said before but Spirit of Durthu is not a warscroll that functions well outside of Sylvaneth armies. He needs multiple wyldwood forests and access to glades and specific Sylvaneth traits/items to be powerful. If you want a heavy Sylvaneth hitter that can move/shoot/move then I recommend Drycha or even just a vanilla Treelord. The vanilla Treelord is only 180pts now and is a decent value.

-I would actually prefer a Sorceress over a Battlemage in this list. Word of Pain + Ironoak Skin + Frost Phoenix is insanely powerful. Especially on Phoenix Guard and Kurnoth Hunters. 

Do you think EG need to also be 30-man units or 20 minimum?  I only own 30 (2005 metal ones) and I'm waffling on 3 x10 or 30.  The 3x10 mean I don't need a Nomad Prince (I really only own Wanderers).

Oh man casting phoenix annointed.  thanks kindly for that tip!  Is the Witness to Destiny a save roll regarding the buff from Ironoak Artisan?  Also if the Sisters of the Thorn cast their spell on the Phoenix does it count as being in cover and get the +1 to save (if it didn't charge)?  I recall something about large models (could be 40k) not being in cover unless 50% is blocked by LoS.

I think Durthu also needs a buff from the sylvaneth like um Harvestboon? Silent Sickle is it? or attack twice Winterleaf.  

Something i discovered was Bow Hunters in LC is probably a descent choice as they good choices to heal, and will benefit from the Hurricanum that people likely take. 

One last question, the Knight of Azyros grants rr 1s, Nomad Prince +1 to hit for Wanderers, Hurricanum +1 to hit.  Is there anything else in Stormcast or LC allies that grant +1 to hit?  I know it is rare in some cases.

Edited by Popisdead

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Do you think EG need to also be 30-man units or 20 minimum?  I only own 30 (2005 metal ones) and I'm waffling on 3 x10 or 30.  The 3x10 mean I don't need a Nomad Prince

Both PG and EG have range 2 and 25mm bases which means they can attack from 3 rows.

Both units are solid anvils, in order to fulfill their role they need to last long enough

Both these points are maximised with unit of 30 - but i get the battleline issue. I think at least 20 would be reccomended.

Alternatively theres A thing i want to try in my next game - having 2 units of 10 really close to each other. Since only one model from unit need to be "touching" base of enemy, rest of them can form third line as long as you keep koherency .This bring some issues like with charge rolls, but EG does not want to charge anyways.

• Like 1

Do you think EG need to also be 30-man units or 20 minimum?  I only own 30 (2005 metal ones) and I'm waffling on 3 x10 or 30.  The 3x10 mean I don't need a Nomad Prince (I really only own Wanderers).

Oh man casting phoenix annointed.  thanks kindly for that tip!  Is the Witness to Destiny a save roll regarding the buff from Ironoak Artisan?  Also if the Sisters of the Thorn cast their spell on the Phoenix does it count as being in cover and get the +1 to save (if it didn't charge)?  I recall something about large models (could be 40k) not being in cover unless 50% is blocked by LoS.

I think Durthu also needs a buff from the sylvaneth like um Harvestboon? Silent Sickle is it? or attack twice Winterleaf.  

Something i discovered was Bow Hunters in LC is probably a descent choice as they good choices to heal, and will benefit from the Hurricanum that people likely take. 

One last question, the Knight of Azyros grants rr 1s, Nomad Prince +1 to hit for Wanderers, Hurricanum +1 to hit.  Is there anything else in Stormcast or LC allies that grant +1 to hit?  I know it is rare in some cases.

With EG's new warscroll, I would field them in units of 20. They tend to function better while immobile so you don't necessary want to over-invest in them since they will likely be camping near an objective.

Behemoths and Warmachines with wounds greater than 8 can never get cover. Also I am pretty sure the Sisters spell can only target Wanderers. 

Yea Durthu needs the wyldwoods for +2 attacks. The ideal weapon is Ghyrstrike so he hits and wounds on 2+. But without the +2 attacks he just isn't worth his points, regardless of how much you buff him.

I'm not a huge fan of Kurnoth Bow Hunters. They are awesome models but they just don't hold up to other cities units. Buff a unit of Sisters of the Watch or Irondrakes with a hurricanum and you get much more reliable results. If you need long range damage then take Celestar Ballistas or Rocket Batteries. 

The only other universal +1 to hit that I know if is the Lord Ordinator, which only affects warmachines. Though do note that there is a universal command ability that allows any unit to reroll 1s. So the Lord Azyros isn't as useful as he use to be. (though he is still solid)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rahatlin said:

Alternatively theres A thing i want to try in my next game - having 2 units of 10 really close to each other. Since only one model from unit need to be "touching" base of enemy, rest of them can form third line as long as you keep koherency .This bring some issues like with charge rolls, but EG does not want to charge anyways.

Yea I do this with Darkshards to screen my wildwood rangers. Let the darkshards eat a charge so that the rangers can clean up. Though it works well on any unit with a 2"range weapon.  (Black Guard, Phoenix Guard, Eternal Guard, etc)

Sometimes I wonder how Phoenix Guard warscroll made it past playtesters. Its literally better than every other elite elven infantry. 

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

Yea I do this with Darkshards to screen my wildwood rangers. Let the darkshards eat a charge so that the rangers can clean up. Though it works well on any unit with a 2"range weapon.  (Black Guard, Phoenix Guard, Eternal Guard, etc)

Sometimes I wonder how Phoenix Guard warscroll made it past playtesters. Its literally better than every other elite elven infantry. 

Thanks guys for the info in the responses.  

I've used to do that with Rangers behind GG about 4 ish years ago.   just after the first GHB anyway,  2 x 20 GG, 2 x 10 Rangers and the Prince in the middle.  

6 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Its also a great choice to for the Druid warlord trait since he then becomes a wizard and can buff his own save. 

Unfortunately, it does not grant the Wizard keyword which means he is not a Wizard, just a hero that can cast a spell.  Thus he would not trigger the +1 save ability.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Unfortunately, it does not grant the Wizard keyword which means he is not a Wizard, just a hero that can cast a spell.  Thus he would not trigger the +1 save ability.

Oh my god I did not realise that was the wording on the Frosthearts warscroll. You just ruined my Phonecium list. Thanks though

13 hours ago, Rune said:

Oh my god I did not realise that was the wording on the Frosthearts warscroll. You just ruined my Phonecium list. Thanks though

If your general rides frosty,  Ironoak Artisian will grant model +1 permanent save, not relaying on sucessfull cast, which can be very not reliable leaving your phoenix with +4 save. Instead you can have wizard around that if cast will bring down his Save to +2. 

If you need something to keep up with your phoenix Sisters of The Thorn are great - but i ussually have phoenix following my anvil within aura range so movement of wizard was never an issue

9 minutes ago, Rahatlin said:

If your general rides frosty,  Ironoak Artisian will grant model +1 permanent save, not relaying on sucessfull cast, which can be very not reliable leaving your phoenix with +4 save. Instead you can have wizard around that if cast will bring down his Save to +2. 

If you need something to keep up with your phoenix Sisters of The Thorn are great - but i ussually have phoenix following my anvil within aura range so movement of wizard was never an issue

I much agree, and cheers! The comment was in regards to my Phonecium list that plays a bit differently. But I agree in most settings it'll be no issue. 

17 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Dang good catch. I am sure a lot of Living City players are sad now. That also has importance in some of the scenarios that give priority to wizards. :S

I think a decent option could be the Jade Diadem.  With a spell cast on the Phoenix it would heal on every 5+ save.  Vs no rend half your saves heal your model, and you would still get a 6+ vs Rend -1.  

Diadem has been FAQed, only heals on unmodifed 6 save. Still very good for frost Phoenix, just not longer that stackable.

21 hours ago, Popisdead said:

ah lame, and also makes sense given AoS 2.0.  I would probably take something else then.

So artefacts in Living City is actually something that needs some discussion. Ours are pretty weak so the Ghyran Realm artefacts become quite appealing. Here are some of my personal favorite options available to us. 

1) Wardroth Horn. If you are taking Kurnoth Hunters then this item is the default choice. +1 Attack on those guys at just the right time is insanely good.

2) Spear of the Hunt is decent, at it basically gives you the ability to fight with two units first in the combat phase. This needs to be on a particularly strong melee character to be worth anything tho. (Dreadlord, mounted Phoenix, etc)

3) Ghyrstrike is always solid if you have a unit with a few high powered attacks. 

4) Wand of Restoration - This is fun on any tanky character. Stacks well with our free heal for 2 wounds per turn (or 2D3+2 on Stank commanders!)

5) Greenglade Flask - A surprise 1d6 heal on a mounted Fire Phoenix or Hurricanum can be useful.

6) Entangling Blade - Seems pretty meh at first glance but anything that can reliably produce -1 to hit is useful.  This can be particularly scary on Nomad Princes since you can potentially give a major character -2 to hit.

• Like 1