AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

6 hours ago, Malcivus said:

Has anyone used Skaeth's Wild Hunt in a Living City list? For reference:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos_skaeths_wild_hunt_en.pdf

I'm new to AoS so it may be hot garbage, but I love the models, especially Skaeth. It's a shame Nomad Princes can't have a mount, would be such a cool general.

just did some calculation in Stathammer

+10 points Sister of the thorn is a better choice.  (same 5 models, Wizard)

better movement, better (shooting+melee) damage stat

and easier for dice rolling.

Unless you have strong melee Sylvaneth units you want to buff

1 hour ago, rockmanko said:

just did some calculation in Stathammer

+10 points Sister of the thorn is a better choice.  (same 5 models, Wizard)

better movement, better (shooting+melee) damage stat

and easier for dice rolling.

Unless you have strong melee Sylvaneth units you want to buff

I fail to see how Sisters are any good. The spell affects only Wanderers and the target must be immobile. Meaning you cant move, run or even pile in. If their spell wasnt restricted by either movement or Wanderers keyword I could see them being somewhat decent. As they are now I just dont see how they would help, since any Sylvaneth ally would lack the required Wanderers keyword in the first place. Am I missing something ?

Skaeth's Wild Hunt actually works for Sylvaneth and you get some low output damage out of them if needed (though these warbands are usually taken just for their leaders and their abilities. Same with Grashrak despoilers who you take just because of his spell has so much utility in a BoC army.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation guys. I have a model nicely fitting for Drycha so I was hoping to get some mileage out of it, but looking at the Treeman, it seems as the better cheaper choice for what I need him for. So thats back to the drawing board for me I guess.

Edited by Myrdin

On 2/28/2020 at 1:44 AM, Aelfric said:

But then you need a hero to accompany him in order to make use of the allegience command ability.  Which hero do you bring on with him?

I've just painted up a Treelord Ancient to try out, but need to get a wood next.  Wondering if you've tried that option and, if so, what your thoughts are.

I'm using a Dreadlord with Crossbow and Lance. Mostly because I have the old Forest Dragon modell which fits nicely in Living City. He fulfills most requirements for an accompanying hero. He has a missile weapon with 10" range or more, he makes good use of both the Ironoak Artisan and the Spear of the Hunt and he can afford to skip his hero phase. He loses out on an adjutant and honored retinue. But I find that the second heavy hitter is usually deployed far away from any of your starting units, so he wouldn't benefit from it anyway.

Alternatively, you use a fast moving hero and deploy him as usual in your deployment zone. However, you restrict your deepstriking units to the flanks, as the CA wont reach them at the opposite end of the map. This frees up the need for a missile weapon and a command point for the hero and you can make use of your hero phase. Annointed on Phoenix, General on Griffon or maybe even a Lord Arcanum on Tauralon/Gryph Charger/Dracoline (probably not competative but cool AF) come to mind. 

I've thought about using a TLA, but I never ended up using him. I'm not convinced that you can afford to waste his first hero phase and he is too slow to deploy in your deployment zone. I'm sure he has uses in a Living City (+Branchwraith for much needed Dryad summoning maybe?), but not as the accompanying hero to a deepstriking, melding away, charging, heavy hitting combat,  not hero unit.

Edited by Thalandor
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, Myrdin said:

I fail to see how Sisters are any good. The spell affects only Wanderers and the target must be immobile. Meaning you cant move, run or even pile in. If their spell wasnt restricted by either movement or Wanderers keyword I could see them being somewhat decent. As they are now I just dont see how they would help, since any Sylvaneth ally would lack the required Wanderers keyword in the first place. Am I missing something ?

Skaeth's Wild Hunt actually works for Sylvaneth and you get some low output damage out of them if needed (though these warbands are usually taken just for their leaders and their abilities. Same with Grashrak despoilers who you take just because of his spell has so much utility in a BoC army.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation guys. I have a model nicely fitting for Drycha so I was hoping to get some mileage out of it, but looking at the Treeman, it seems as the better cheaper choice for what I need him for. So thats back to the drawing board for me I guess.

well I did state "unless you have strong melee Sylvaneth units you want to buff"

otherwise both Skaeth's Wild Hunt & Sister of the Thorn is just a Wizard crew of 5 (with 5+ save)

so I compare their mobility and damage output, Skaeth even got only 6 wounds...

8 hours ago, Aelfric said:

They will get one spell from the city spell lore to use and all of them are good.

Oh, THIS is interesting! Thank you!

Yes this makes them actually a viable option. I didnt know this because I always thought that for a WIZARD, to get to choose a Lore spell they must also have HERO Keyword. This makes them actually much more interesting. 

With that I can see them being very good in Hollowheart! Heck maybe even in Anvilguard with that armor negating spell.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

Hey all, been struggling to find an army I enjoy playing recently, so I've decided to revisit and update my old mixed Order army from a couple of years ago. Based on what was in it, and how it plays, Living City seems the best fit. 

Here's the list I'm thinking of running:

The Goode Folk of Saint Martha's Vale
Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
Stronghold: Living City
Realm: Ghyran

Leaders:
Sorceress

- General
- Druid of the Everspring Circle
- Deepmire Cloak

Battlemage
- General's Adjutant
- Cage of Thorns

Knight-Incantor
- Lifesurge

Neave Blacktalon

Battleline:
Dryads x30

Dreadspears x10
- General's Retinue

Darkshards x10

Other:
Aetherwings x3

Freeguild Outriders x5

Skaeth's Wild Hunt
- Lifesurge

Tree-Revenants x5

Wild Riders x5

Allies:
Gotrek Gurnisson

Endless Spells:
Everblaze Comet

Trying to get a decent mix of casting (4 wizards), mobility (the mounted units), combat punch (Gotrek), and ability to play objectives (Dryads, Aetherwings, mounted units), and then Neave is there to take advantage of the flanking ability of Living City combined with the Command Ability, so she can come on and head straight for a backfield support character (8 attacks on the charge, 3+/3+/-1/2 against heroes should be able to dispatch any pesky minor heroes.)

What do people think? I'm not expecting to go 5-0, but it would be nice to have a decent chance in most games.

that list needs some work.

You have no movement increasing synergy for your only damage dealer. Gotrek will never be where you need him to be.
You have exactly one good target for lifesurge, no one else has really use for it. You need emerald lifeswarm, not 3x lifesurge.
Neave Blacktalon can't deepstrike and use the CA, as she doesnt have the required 10" or more range with her missile weapon.

Both the deepmire cloak and the Command Trait is  kind of wasted. Between Look-Out-Sir and Honored Retinue, no one is going to focus her with missile weapons, she simply isn't important enough with one cast and no important spells. Actually if I think about it, she is so unimportant that you shouldn't even mind it yourself if she gets killed. Maybe put everything on the Knight-Incantor as she is your most important wizard by far. Or pick up one combat hero to make use of Ironoak artisan and Spear of the Hunt/Ghyrstrike.

You have good objective grabbers, but I dont see how you want to hold them for more than a turn as they are so weak that they can be shifted by most other objective grabbing units out there. Your dryads are your only amboss unit. If they collapse, then your mapcontrol is gone the next battleround.

You should buy a command point in case the opponent goes first and focuses your dryads. Maybe in exchange for the Aetherwings?
The Knight Incantor + Everblaze Comet is really good in a Living City, since most opponents tend to put their important units in the centre to avoid deepstrikes. You should keep those two. Maybe even put the Battlemage on a Balewind Vortex and use Chain Lightning to increase your first turn damage output, in case your opponent forces you to go first (which will happen a lot).

Edited by Thalandor
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Korvak said:

Hey all, been struggling to find an army I enjoy playing recently, so I've decided to revisit and update my old mixed Order army from a couple of years ago. Based on what was in it, and how it plays, Living City seems the best fit. 

Here's the list I'm thinking of running:

The Goode Folk of Saint Martha's Vale
Stronghold: Living City
Realm: Ghyran

Leaders:
Sorceress

- General
- Druid of the Everspring Circle
- Deepmire Cloak

Battlemage
- General's Adjutant
- Cage of Thorns

Knight-Incantor
- Lifesurge

Neave Blacktalon

Battleline:
Dryads x30

Dreadspears x10
- General's Retinue

Darkshards x10

Other:
Aetherwings x3

Freeguild Outriders x5

Skaeth's Wild Hunt
- Lifesurge

Tree-Revenants x5

Wild Riders x5

Allies:
Gotrek Gurnisson

Endless Spells:
Everblaze Comet

Trying to get a decent mix of casting (4 wizards), mobility (the mounted units), combat punch (Gotrek), and ability to play objectives (Dryads, Aetherwings, mounted units), and then Neave is there to take advantage of the flanking ability of Living City combined with the Command Ability, so she can come on and head straight for a backfield support character (8 attacks on the charge, 3+/3+/-1/2 against heroes should be able to dispatch any pesky minor heroes.)

What do people think? I'm not expecting to go 5-0, but it would be nice to have a decent chance in most games.

Spell & Magic isnt that strong in Living City.

I dont really see Skaeth's Wild Hunt can do anything

I would suggest a tanky combat unit - Spirit of Durthu

Who can also ambush > shoot and move & charge again

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 12:40 AM, Myrdin said:

I fail to see how Sisters are any good.

They can keep up with a Phoenix and cast a City or Endless spell then the Phoenix gets the armour buff (they can even cast their spell backwards at EG holding an objective).  Plus I think it's while they have 2 models they are still a caster?  So that is an effective 7W caster with movement, shooting and can be healed back significantly with the LC ability and Endless Lifeswarm (which they can cast on themselves to get the Phoenix the buff).  They aren't super amazing but they aren't useless.  

If you take SotW you may want some WRs screening (or just,.. cause they are really good) and a Knight of Azyros paired with 10 WRs will also allow the Treelord to shoot and move with the LC ability.  Plus if that TL ability of ASL goes off that's handy and the KoA has descent utility.   A TL, KoA and 10 WRs up a flank could deal some damage (HA just kidding the TL will never do more than 1W offensively... O_o )

• Like 1

Remember that Living City has a few core strengths that you want to focus on.  If you'd like to focus on different aspects of the game, then consider using a different city better suited to the task.  In my mind, the reasons to play Living City are as follows:

1.  You have a lot of monsters and/or multi-wound models that would benefit from the passive heals.
2.  You have strong shooting options that you'd like to drop in next to your opponent.  Bonus points for then being able to use the CP and also have an effective combat phase.
3.  You have other naturally good charging units for the hidden paths ambush.
4.  You have roles that could best be filled by Sylvaneth units.
5.  You have a limited movement range which can be helped out by the hidden paths ability (though in many cases Tempest's Eye will fix that even more effectively).

I'm sure I've neglected to mention other reasons to take Living City, but I usually try to make sure my list ticks at least 2 or 3 of those boxes before I call it good.  Otherwise, I start thinking about a different city.

@Korvak It looks to me like you've mainly chosen Living City to try and use Sylvaneth, maybe also for a few extra ways to heal Gotrek.  The problem is it seems like you've actually built more of a Hallowheart list (once you remove the Sylvaneth anyway).  Hallowheart could allow you to heal Gotrek with a very reliable Lifeswarm and it would also facilitate casting the Comet. 

I would also recommend taking another hard-hitting unit or two in place of a few other picks.  You have Gotrek, sure, but he'll only realistically contribute to 1 area of the battlefield.  I would perhaps drop Neave and the Aetherwings for more Wild Riders or something similar that can hit hard but is still mobile.  The dryads are nice, but if you do swap to Hallowheart (or something else) you'll need a new "anvil" unit.  Eternal Guard, Ironbreakers, or massed Freeguild Guard with swords and shields could all do the job.  Also, I would drop the 10 dreadspears for 10 more darkshards.  That way you'll have 20 darkshards that the Sorceress can still use to sacrifice, they'll get their 15 model bonus, and they can still be the retinue if you'd like.

All of this is assuming you can swap out units on a whim.  If you don't have certain units that I've mentioned, then just try to fill those with similar units that you do have.  One of the nice things about CoS is that we have 2-3 units for almost every role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

They can keep up with a Phoenix and cast a City or Endless spell then the Phoenix gets the armour buff (they can even cast their spell backwards at EG holding an objective).  Plus I think it's while they have 2 models they are still a caster?  So that is an effective 7W caster with movement, shooting and can be healed back significantly with the LC ability and Endless Lifeswarm (which they can cast on themselves to get the Phoenix the buff).  They aren't super amazing but they aren't useless.  

If you take SotW you may want some WRs screening (or just,.. cause they are really good) and a Knight of Azyros paired with 10 WRs will also allow the Treelord to shoot and move with the LC ability.  Plus if that TL ability of ASL goes off that's handy and the KoA has descent utility.   A TL, KoA and 10 WRs up a flank could deal some damage (HA just kidding the TL will never do more than 1W offensively... O_o )

First paragraph: Very interesting take on it. I have experimented with Phoenix but this is actually quite an interesting synergy. Honestly ater I found out that they can take City spells, I dont think they are subpar any longer. Sure not great due to the restriction on their native spell, but not horrible either. Also great point about them being a 130pts 10w Wizard "character" with a very good speed.

Second Paragraph: Not sure I would use WR for screening. Honestly I`ve been considering Outriders as a possible screen lately, especially after I went unprepared against an Ogre player and got my a*s completely handed over to me (admittedly there was an extremely lucky long distance charge on his side, a double turn and the sheer fact my list was absolutely not suited for it, which wasnt helped by me doing a stupid thing during movement phase and exposing myself either). Possibly Dark Riders, since they are faster by a slight margin and can still act as chaff/chaff hunters.

A second draft of the army I was looking at before:

- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Halberds and Shields

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)

Behemoths
Celestial Hurricanum (220)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

Durthu and Drycha hop out of the forests to kick ass - or I can send the handgunners in instead to do a lot of shooting and move onto a vacated objective. The Hurricanum buffs the other group of handgunners - or I can swap it for some Kurnoth Hunters if i split one of the handgunners units up. I've got fifty points left to do one of a few things with - upgrade one of the battlemages to more sisters of the thorn (or swap one and the freeguild guard for another twenty handgunners or crossbows, which seems smart if not terribly interesting.)

On 3/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, Myrdin said:

First paragraph: Very interesting take on it. I have experimented with Phoenix but this is actually quite an interesting synergy. Honestly ater I found out that they can take City spells, I dont think they are subpar any longer. Sure not great due to the restriction on their native spell, but not horrible either. Also great point about them being a 130pts 10w Wizard "character" with a very good speed.

Second Paragraph: Not sure I would use WR for screening. Honestly I`ve been considering Outriders as a possible screen lately, especially after I went unprepared against an Ogre player and got my a*s completely handed over to me (admittedly there was an extremely lucky long distance charge on his side, a double turn and the sheer fact my list was absolutely not suited for it, which wasnt helped by me doing a stupid thing during movement phase and exposing myself either). Possibly Dark Riders, since they are faster by a slight margin and can still act as chaff/chaff hunters.

Well make sure you are aware when they can cast spells and when they cannot.  I think they need 2 models meaning you can take 7 Wounds and still cast.  ... I think... ugh. kids ruined my memory :P

fair point on WRs as screening.  they are a hammer.  and pretty good.  I was just thinking all WAnderer.  :)

Hello there! Im new to Living City and i've been thinking about my list. I came up with this - should be quite control list with a lot of deesptriking harass, super tanky guard (especially in forest) and alfastrinking Durthu with tons of heal. What you guys think, could this work?

Výstřižek.JPG

6 hours ago, Orzo said:

Hello there! Im new to Living City and i've been thinking about my list. I came up with this - should be quite control list with a lot of deesptriking harass, super tanky guard (especially in forest) and alfastrinking Durthu with tons of heal. What you guys think, could this work?

Výstřižek.JPG

It actually looks like a great army with a good synergies, A LOT of alpha strike and good chaff for objectives. AT can summon Wyldwood for Durthu extra 2 attacks, while Branchwraith can summon Dryads from it(although you can count yourself lucky if you get at least 1 summon). Having a lot of healing helps as well. The bad thing is that 1) Trees are pretty slow unless you have a CP to spare, 2) you have to deepstrike AT and Durthu together, 3) you will have Wyldwood only in the next turn after AT deployment, 4) you don't want to go too far from your only Wyldwood. So the most optimap way to use them would be to throw them both into the stronges enemy position to tarpit and fight to the death, so you woudn't have to move them much.  You have a lot of pressure versus exposed soft targets anyway.

I also would have taken Ghurstrike on Durthu instead of the Spear, but both artefacts are good here.

Edited by Zeblasky

• 1 month later...

So I have been list building with some of my old 8th ed WHF models and I think I found some pretty cool synergy in a strange place. Dwarfs!

So some of the Dwarf units have pretty impressive statlines. But they remain mediocre due to their 4 inch movement and lack of access to magic/movement shenanigans. But Living City overcomes those weaknesses.

Consider this as a basis for a list. Runelord as your warlord with the Druid command trait and as many Hammerers as you can afford!

The Runelord unlocks Hammerers as Battleline. He also has a +2 Unbind. But now he is a wizard that can cast-1 to Wound on the Hammerers. Additionally Hammerers get immunity to Battleshock while they are within 12" of the Runelord. And the runelord can pray on a 2+ to give the Hammerers +1 Rend. Thats a lot of mileage out of a 90pt character without an Artefact and without the need for CP.

So the runelord and Hammerers deepstrike and declare a charge at +1 (rerollable with your spare CP). 

Here are some additional units that synnergize well.

-Frost Phoenix for a potential -2 to wound

-Chronomantic Cogs so your Hammerers get +3 to their charge

-Gyrocopters so they can move/shoot/move/drop bombs

-Warden King for +1 attack on the Hammerers

Just thought I would share!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just indulging in a thought experiment, but is the following list something that has been done already, is it viable/competitive? I'm just really missing Wood Elves.

Living City using Eternal Guard anvils, Sisters of the Watch for sniping, shadow warriors maybe for Waywatcher nostalgia, plus some Wild Riders to summon in with the Allegiance ability. Alarielle as the general, a Nomad Prince adjutant, and possibly a Treelord for more nostalgia. Then have Alarielle drop her free summon of Kurnoths. To me, it seems like a versatile list, but I'd be interested in some opinion/experience of the theme.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Hey guys,

Just indulging in a thought experiment, but is the following list something that has been done already, is it viable/competitive? I'm just really missing Wood Elves.

Living City using Eternal Guard anvils, Sisters of the Watch for sniping, shadow warriors maybe for Waywatcher nostalgia, plus some Wild Riders to summon in with the Allegiance ability. Alarielle as the general, a Nomad Prince adjutant, and possibly a Treelord for more nostalgia. Then have Alarielle drop her free summon of Kurnoths. To me, it seems like a versatile list, but I'd be interested in some opinion/experience of the theme.

Thanks

Eternal guard anvils?  Sure, go for it.  Sisters of the Watch/shadow warriors?  Great.  Wild riders... ehh, I'm not a huge fan, but if you like them, then go for them.

Alarielle as general?  No.  Why?  Named characters can't get command traits, which means making her your general is basically just throwing away a nice bonus.  Have in your army though?  Go for it.  Also with that, you are going to want to make the Nomad Prince your general so that you can get sisters/wild riders as battleline.  Additionally, make sure you re-read what allows you to have an Adjutant - your general needs 6 wounds or less to be able to have one, and the Adjutant also needs 6 wounds or less too.  Lastly, if you plan to take Alarielle, you can't have her deploy off the board because there isn't enough room for her to enter - you must deploy within 6" of the table edge, and her base is a 6.5" diameter circle, which means that she wouldn't fit. Some opponents may let you do so anyways (personally, I think it is perfectly all right), but if you read back a number of pages you can see where there was an argument about that, and it is probably best to just avoid that altogether.

Also, if you are looking to bring Alarielle + treelord, be aware that you need a minimum of 6 other non-sylvaneth units in your army to do so - and sisters aren't cheap.  Considering that Alarielle is already 660 points of your force, I would highly consider trying to build out the rest of the force without other sylvaneth, and then decide if you want to grab one after you have a good idea of what the rest of your army looks like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Hey guys,

Thanks

What readercolin said ^^^

But yea the most critical part is to make sure you have a Nomad Prince as your general. He will unlock pretty much the entire Wanderer line as battleline. Otherwise you will need to breakout your Eternal guard into three separate units to meet battleline requirements which will eliminate their potential for tanking. 

So I love using Alarielle, but I don't field her in my Living City army. Her abilities only buff Sylvaneth units and her base is too big to deepstrike. If you want some  truly competitive Sylvaneth then consider swapping her out  for Drycha or more Kurnoth Hunters. Drycha is can really exploit the Living City command ability. 

Also don't forget about Wildwood Rangers. They make fantastic deepstrikers! 

Thanks for those responses guys, much appreciated. I was hoping to stay competitive but fluffy, so I've now got the following list:

Leaders:

Alarielle (600)

Nomad Prince (general, 120) - I'd give him the Wardroth Horn to make the Treelord/Kurnoths/Alarielle very scary for one turn. Plus Druid command trait so he can cast Ironoak Skin on the Eternal Guard. 

Assassin (80)

Battleline:

30 Eternal Guard (330) - also the general's retinue

20 Wildwood Rangers (260) - possibly fielding 2 units of 10

10 Wild Riders (260) - possibly fielding 2 units of 5

10 Sisters of the Watch (160)

Other:

Treelord (180)

Total: 1990 points

My plan would be to start with Alarielle on the table, then deep strike the Rangers and possibly the Riders depending on table size/opponent etc. The Eternal Guard and the Treelord form an anvil, with the Nomad Prince behind for CA's and bodyguard. Alarielle and her summoned Kurnoth's terrify one side of the board while the anvil denies the other side, my hammers come in from deep strike and the Sisters soften up any behemoths. I know the synergies aren't the best (no way to use the Living City CA) but it still seems fairly  robust. Feel free to tear it to shreds!!

16 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Thanks for those responses guys, much appreciated. I was hoping to stay competitive but fluffy, so I've now got the following list:

Leaders:

Alarielle (600)

Nomad Prince (general, 120) - I'd give him the Wardroth Horn to make the Treelord/Kurnoths/Alarielle very scary for one turn. Plus Druid command trait so he can cast Ironoak Skin on the Eternal Guard. 

Assassin (80)

Battleline:

30 Eternal Guard (330) - also the general's retinue

20 Wildwood Rangers (260) - possibly fielding 2 units of 10

10 Wild Riders (260) - possibly fielding 2 units of 5

10 Sisters of the Watch (160)

Other:

Treelord (180)

Total: 1990 points

My plan would be to start with Alarielle on the table, then deep strike the Rangers and possibly the Riders depending on table size/opponent etc. The Eternal Guard and the Treelord form an anvil, with the Nomad Prince behind for CA's and bodyguard. Alarielle and her summoned Kurnoth's terrify one side of the board while the anvil denies the other side, my hammers come in from deep strike and the Sisters soften up any behemoths. I know the synergies aren't the best (no way to use the Living City CA) but it still seems fairly  robust. Feel free to tear it to shreds!!

That looks fine actually! A couple of quick notes tho.

-Alarielle can use the command ability since she can shoot. So enjoy that 32 inch double move. 

-I would merge your Wildwood Rangers into a single unit. Their biggest selling point is their 2 inch range, meaning they can attack in 3 ranks. Also, they are great monster hunters, but note that 10 can't be expected to kill a monster, while 20 can kill 95% of the monsters in the game. Big difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Looking for ways to excited about my old dark elves so I will finally rebase. 
stumbled through all the cities and this actually might make a casual and fun to play list. 
This would be for beer and pretzel games, that usually are semi competitive as far as I can judge and should mostly be fun to play at 1,5K.
Am I missing some cool things that fit the theme? (Or can be converted to do so?)

9514DF2B-2B28-439D-AEAA-3765B570634E.png.38c5ec9d2dac48f999019d3289e63a31.png

some explaining thoughts:

- ballista’s will be old repeater bolt throwers. 
- dark riders to shoot and gain extra movement for objective grabbing. 
- really struggled with making the dreadlord the general. Adjutant thing is so cool. But the traits is pretty good on him. Setting him up last to threaten ambushing with him. 
- spears to screen, dark shards to shoot, executioners to execute. 

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hi all. Looking for ways to excited about my old dark elves so I will finally rebase. 
stumbled through all the cities and this actually might make a casual and fun to play list. 
This would be for beer and pretzel games, that usually are semi competitive as far as I can judge and should mostly be fun to play at 1,5K.
Am I missing some cool things that fit the theme? (Or can be converted to do so?)

9514DF2B-2B28-439D-AEAA-3765B570634E.png.38c5ec9d2dac48f999019d3289e63a31.png

some explaining thoughts:

- ballista’s will be old repeater bolt throwers. 
- dark riders to shoot and gain extra movement for objective grabbing. 
- really struggled with making the dreadlord the general. Adjutant thing is so cool. But the traits is pretty good on him. Setting him up last to threaten ambushing with him. 
- spears to screen, dark shards to shoot, executioners to execute. 

I actually really like your idea of proxying repeater bolt throwers as ballistas. I have a bunch of those old models painted and I would love an excuse to put them back on the table!

Regarding your list, I think it is fine for 1500pt casual games, so you are good to go. But if you really wanted to push your list to the next level competitively, consider the following changes:

-Add 10 more Executioners. One of the biggest advantages of Executioners is their huge 30 man discount. It will also allow them to eat quite a few casualties without losing much combat output.

-Drop dreadspears. Unfortunately spears don't have much of a role anymore. Cheap screens and objective defenders are always useful but I have found Darkshards to be just flat out better at the job. If you really want to take spears, then consider merging them into single unit. Right now they are really inflating your drop count which may actually be hurt you more than help you.

-Swap Lifesurge for Ironoak skin. Lifesurge has limited use in your army since it can't restore dead models, so it can only heal your characters or ballistas. However stacking Ironoak Skin + Word of Pain is an insanely powerful combo. Also your sorceress are much more likely to be close to infantry rather than close to a Dragon or Ballista.