AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

12 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Regarding painting Eternal Guard, should i skip the shields and superglue later or plastic glue right ahead? 
Looks kinda fiddly to be honest when the shields are on but i fear the superglued shields might snap of easily? 

With the angle those models hold their shields, you'd have to be trying real hard to get them to snap off. Make sure you use good quality (i.e. non-GW) superglue and you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Paksennarrion said:

Why superglue later and not just plastic glue later? (Hope this isn't a silly question  - in fairly new to this!)

The obvious one with how eternal guard look is so you can prime and paint the minis and shields before gluing without needing to maintain a sufficiently large patch of clean plastic.

Cleaner and quicker too imo, I've found if you use a good superglue there's basically zero advantages to using plastic cement.

2 hours ago, Alessio said:

Question about hidden paths: If i have 8 units which 4 are shadow warriors. I deploy 2 units on the battlefield, 2 units as reserve(hidden paths) and all the 4 units of shadows warriors as reserves too. Am I right?

As far as I can see you are correct.  Shadow Warriors are set up "in the shadows" not "on the Hidden Paths".  You only need to have as many units on the board as you do on Hidden Paths.  Take some Khinerai as allies and you could get most of your army deployed off the table.

3 hours ago, Alessio said:

Question about hidden paths: If i have 8 units which 4 are shadow warriors. I deploy 2 units on the battlefield, 2 units as reserve(hidden paths) and all the 4 units of shadows warriors as reserves too. Am I right?

Yes.  Also, to clarify a bit more:

If you have 1 normal unit, and 5 units of shadow warriors, that 1 unit has to be deployed on the table.  All the shadow warriors can be deployed in the shadows and come down later.  This is not a hidden paths deployment, but it is functionally identical as far as putting them off the board goes.

If you have 5 normal units, and then shadow warriors, 2 of the normal units can be deployed on the hidden paths.

Lastly, the only place where how it is deployed off the table matters.  An assassin could be deployed via hidden paths.  Or he can be deployed off the board to later pop out in a unit.  Note, popping out later in a unit is a different method of deployment, and he comes onto the board at a different timing.  This means that if you have an assassin, you will have to state how he is deployed, and then you are restricted on how he can enter the board.

Hey guys! I was recently brainstorming builds for 1000 points and came up with 2 things for me:

Wanderers 1000
Grand Alliance: Order | Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar Stronghold: Living City Realm of Battle: GHYRAN, The Realm of LIFE

Leader:

Nomad Prince 120pts General, Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan

Dreadlord on Black Dragon, 300pts.

Artefact: Jade Diadem, Weapons: Repeater Crossbow, Lance of Spite

Battleline:

Sisters of the Watch, Quantity: 10, 160pts

Sisters of the Thorn, Quantity: 5, 130pts, Spell: Lifesurge

Total: 1000/1000pts

Dreadlord 1000
Grand Alliance: Order | Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar Stronghold: Living City Realm of Battle: GHYRAN, The Realm of LIFE

Leader:
Dreadlord on Black Dragon, 300pts, General, Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan, Artefact: Jade Diadem, Weapon: Repeater Crossbow, Lance of Spite

Battleline:
Dryads, Quantity: 10, 100pts

Drakespawn Knights, Quantity: 5, 150pts

Other:

Total: 1000/1000pts

First one feel quite well rounded, while the second one is a bit more about powering up Dreadlord with Ironoak Artisan. Honestly, at that point I'm thinking that giving him shield would be better for 2+ save. No first turn charge, but whatever I guess. And yea, those are drakespawns you see there, I had no idea how to make battleline fit better with the remaining points. I guess I can ditch Sisters of thorn and get a cheaper mage.

Any thoughts, feedback, ideas?

On 2/5/2020 at 2:10 AM, swarmofseals said:

Personally I think that Irondrakes aren't a great call for Living City. Check up thread where I do an extensive review of ranged units for my logic. I'm sure they are fine if it's not competitive though.

I think the list is good. 

And yes, I prefer SoW instead of Drakes in LC. Plus I will change general trait with +1 TS  on the phoenix and spear to fight at start of the combat (or you can put it on durthu if you keep him). Remove Emerald as you don't use large size units and remove 1 between durthu and fulminators as long as your "charge" will be calculated and you can't spend more then 1 cp for that. 

Better to have the battlemage on the luminarch, for the cost difference it worth.

I've done a big tournament with LC with this list ending 3 - 2. Tournament was before Tzeench FAQ.  Won against Ossiark, FeC, Skaven; lost against Tzeench and Deepkin.

Prince 120
Heraldor 100
Anoited  100
Bmage 90

Evo 440
Tree Revenants 80
Phoenix Guards 320
Sisters of Watch 160
Sisters of Watch 160
Sisters of Watch 160
Sisters of Thorn 130
Sequitors 130

Total 1990

What I've missed was Anoited on Frost for sure, and maybe 30 PG. Prince is totally useless as Bmage (for their cost). Plus I think that 20 SoW can still do their job. 

Edited by Raffonerd

I don't know if this is a silly question but is it ever worthwhile to have Druid of the Everspring Circle on, say, a Nomad Prince?

I ask because it seems a little sad that the hero of one of the main archer subfactions apparently hasn't figured out how bows work. At least with Cage of Thorns he'd have a sort of pseudo-ranged attack.

1 hour ago, Vipoid said:

I don't know if this is a silly question but is it ever worthwhile to have Druid of the Everspring Circle on, say, a Nomad Prince?

I ask because it seems a little sad that the hero of one of the main archer subfactions apparently hasn't figured out how bows work. At least with Cage of Thorns he'd have a sort of pseudo-ranged attack.

If you're low on casting otherwise, especially in low-points games, I'd consider it for your Nomad Prince. He can take Ironoak Skin to bolster his personal guard (or himself!), or Cage of Thorns as you say, since he'll likely be close to combat.

edit - Also, don't forget that instead of a bow, the Nomad Prince carries his Annoying Bird to really mess with enemy heroes. It's a really strong support ability! Casters hate him!

Edited by overtninja

7 hours ago, Vipoid said:

Yeah, I'd say so. Farstrider is pretty pointless as you don't really want him getting stuck in, and Ironoak Artisan is only moderately useful -- you want to avoid combat with him, and the save bonus is nice but not enough to save him if he is getting targeted. Druid isn't great either, but I think it's probably the best choice just by process of elimination. 

Hey folks,

I'm trying to decide what to do for my next army, and one of the things I want to sketch together is a Living City list suitable for tournaments. I'm thinking of Spirits of Durthu (one of which has the Fight First relic) jumping out of the sides of the board, plus Shadow Warriors shooting out of cover. Previously I've played Khorne and LoN so I'm hoping for something with lots of shooting and healing.

My first draft is as below:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
Battlemage (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Battlemage (90)
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Spirit of Durthu (300)

Battleline
20 x Wildwood Rangers (260)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (130)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (130)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Battalions
Viridian Pathfinders (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

However nothing in the Viridian Pathfinders batallion really does it for me: I like the extra command point and relic but ultimately its not necessary for this list (unless i'm desperate to get both Durthus in turn one AND I fail my Adjudant roll.) If I take that out, I need a general and battleline (and enough units to take the Sylvaneth) but I have 790pts to play with. What would people suggest? I could take an Assassin to make the shadow warriors Battleline, which would deal with one issue, but I suspect what I'm missing here is more bodies on the table. so I might as well have a non-ridiculous general and some less specific Battleline.

Any suggestions?

On 2/15/2020 at 3:02 PM, readercolin said:

Yes.  Also, to clarify a bit more:

If you have 1 normal unit, and 5 units of shadow warriors, that 1 unit has to be deployed on the table.  All the shadow warriors can be deployed in the shadows and come down later.  This is not a hidden paths deployment, but it is functionally identical as far as putting them off the board goes.

If you have 5 normal units, and then shadow warriors, 2 of the normal units can be deployed on the hidden paths.

Lastly, the only place where how it is deployed off the table matters.  An assassin could be deployed via hidden paths.  Or he can be deployed off the board to later pop out in a unit.  Note, popping out later in a unit is a different method of deployment, and he comes onto the board at a different timing.  This means that if you have an assassin, you will have to state how he is deployed, and then you are restricted on how he can enter the board.

Mmm...I'm not sure about that. Hidden Path says that you can deploy 1 unit for any unit deployed into the BATTLEFIELD.

And if you deploy Shadow Warriors into the shadow, you're not deploying them into the Battlefield.

29 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Mmm...I'm not sure about that. Hidden Path says that you can deploy 1 unit for any unit deployed into the BATTLEFIELD.

And if you deploy Shadow Warriors into the shadow, you're not deploying them into the Battlefield.

In which case are you quoting?

1 normal unit and X shadow warriors?  In this case I stated that the 1 unit has to be deployed to the table, which doesn't contradict hidden paths.

5 Normal units and X shadow warriors?  In this case I stated that 2 of the units can be deployed on the hidden paths (5 / 2, rounded down is 2), which doesn't contradict hidden paths. 

2 hours ago, readercolin said:

In which case are you quoting?

1 normal unit and X shadow warriors?  In this case I stated that the 1 unit has to be deployed to the table, which doesn't contradict hidden paths.

5 Normal units and X shadow warriors?  In this case I stated that 2 of the units can be deployed on the hidden paths (5 / 2, rounded down is 2), which doesn't contradict hidden paths. 

Oh sorry, my mistake! I got that you can keep (let's say) 3 SW in Shadows and 3 on Hidden Path (considering 6 units).

My bad

Which one of the Big Boss Sylvaneth characters would you go with if you had to choose just one ?

Go for powerful 6dmg combat tree monster of terror, slap on some nice artifact and hope you get a 9" charge after deploying, or instead run all Guns&Roses, firing wildly and then getting almost guaranteed charge due to being able to move after shooting with Drycha ?

So far I though that Drycha is the better choice just due to the nature of her being to move and then charge if she gets her ranged attack off after deploying, but facing against Ogors and their insanely powerful Hero on a Mammoth combo I am starting to think that being able to dish out 3 attacks,  6dmg each might be the better choice in cutting them down. 

Edited by Myrdin

29 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Which one of the Big Boss Sylvaneth characters would you go with if you had to choose just one ?

Go for powerful 6dmg combat tree monster of terror, slap on some nice artifact and hope you get a 9" charge after deploying, or instead run all Guns&Roses, firing wildly and then getting almost guaranteed charge due to being able to move after shooting with Drycha ?

So far I though that Drycha is the better choice just due to the nature of her being to move and then charge if she gets her ranged attack off after deploying, but facing against Ogors and their insanely powerful Hero on a Mammoth combo I am starting to think that being able to dish out 3 attacks,  6dmg each might be the better choice in cutting them down. 

Well 20 Hammerers, Greatswords, or even 30 of the elven soldiers known as black guard , Phoenix guard or even the Wood elve axe Infanterie, which are extremely good against monster, will all do a good job against such beasts.

I just wouldn’t forget you screen

If you face beastclaw riders and you really need a character who can use the CA on him/herself, then Durthu is probably the better option, since the BCR wont be able to screen against him. On the other hand they don't care about a little pew pew by Drychas missile attacks and her hero phase is wasted as well, the BCR is just going to smash her in your combat phase and heal up later, that's less likely to happen with Durthu.

However, keep in mind that the price for Durthu is calculated with all the Sylvaneth buffs which increases his damage output. Durthu with 8 attacks costs exactly the same as a Durthu with 3 attacks.

Treelord is in my experience the best "big" sylvaneth guy. The work he does for a mere 180 points is ridicilous. He is so cheap, you don't care if he dies. Drycha has no stomp which is a huge minus. Her warscroll is 50% neutered in the enemy turn. Durthu on the other hand is super strong but very expensive. If he doesn't kill the right target then you are in trouble. He loses 3 wounds and his damage output is reduced by 50%, which forces you to go first with him. The Treelord doesn't care if he loses a couple of wounds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thalandor said:

Treelord is in my experience the best "big" sylvaneth guy. The work he does for a mere 180 points is ridicilous. He is so cheap, you don't care if he dies. Drycha has no stomp which is a huge minus. Her warscroll is 50% neutered in the enemy turn. Durthu on the other hand is super strong but very expensive. If he doesn't kill the right target then you are in trouble. He loses 3 wounds and his damage output is reduced by 50%, which forces you to go first with him. The Treelord doesn't care if he loses a couple of wounds.

I mostly agree with this.  I don't think Durthu is really that strong outside Sylvaneth as you need to kinda stack the odds for him in the glades/etc.  

9 hours ago, Thalandor said:

But then you need a hero to accompany him in order to make use of the allegience command ability.  Which hero do you bring on with him?

I've just painted up a Treelord Ancient to try out, but need to get a wood next.  Wondering if you've tried that option and, if so, what your thoughts are.