AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

49 minutes ago, amsoly said:

any suggestions for a “counts as” for glade guard?  Love those old sculpts and the theme.  

Well, I have re-designated my 30 GG as Shadow Warriors.  They're both Aelves with bows and mine are in greens and browns, which is camouflagy enough.  I've replaced the 3 Banner Bearers with my 3 Waywatchers - I'll just keep the musicians in even though their music does nothing rules-wise.  I already have 20 SotW so feel it would look confusing on the table to have different models representing the same warscroll.

I really enjoy the shadow warrior models as well. Too confusing if I fielded both as shadow warriors I’m guessing. 

yeah I miss the waywatchers or a waywatchers hero. I first enjoyed waywatchers in 4th edition (?) army book with ridiculous trap rules and whatnot. Never played but sounded amazing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amsoly said:

any suggestions for a “counts as” for glade guard?  Love those old sculpts and the theme. 

My plan is to buy some sisters/shadow warriors boxes to replace the Guard bows with the sisters flaming bows. And then I also get a bunch of shadow warriors.  I feel icky simply using them as “counts as” without some kind of conversion. 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:21 AM, Rekkiem said:

Gotcha! That makes sense - I'm sure I knew that but somehow got a bit too carried away when sorting out the last couple of hundred points!

Are EG still decent? I only remember being able to abuse their save roll with the SotT spell for those defensive mortal wounds. Otherwise, I quite like the look of the SotW rules as a decent source of mortal wounds.

EG are incredible, but only if you use them correctly. They are more expensive now but they are probably the most point efficient unit in all of AoS for their role. If you need a unit to sit still and ignore basically everything other than Mortal Wounds, EG are great. They will punch way higher than they should for their points too. If you want a unit that is almost as tanky, but without having to stay still, go Phoenix Guard instead. They're also better against Mortal Wounds obviously. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, amsoly said:

I use them interchangeably as Sisters of the Watch, Darkshards, or Crossbows depending on the list I'm building. They are generic archers and no one has ever had an issue with it, since my army is very heavily themed with several converted units. 

Here's a shot of my army from today's tournament!

TournyBoard.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

6 hours ago, Tidings said:

I use them interchangeably as Sisters of the Watch, Darkshards, or Crossbows depending on the list I'm building. They are generic archers and no one has ever had an issue with it, since my army is very heavily themed with several converted units. 

TournyBoard.jpg

Good lord that looks fantastic. 

I wish i could base half that well

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tidings said:

TournyBoard.jpg

Love this. 

I only play with my friends so I’m sure I could push it. I’ve  considered using some creative living city “counts as” that probably isn’t original.

glade guard as crossbowmen 

glade lord with greatsword as freeguild general

wardancers or swordmasters as greatswords

(I got nothing for handgunners)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kore5022 said:

Good lord that looks fantastic. 

I wish i could base half that well

Thank you!! I like basing more than painting haha :P

1 hour ago, amsoly said:

Love this. 

I only play with my friends so I’m sure I could push it. I’ve  considered using some creative living city “counts as” that probably isn’t original.

glade guard as crossbowmen 

glade lord with greatsword as freeguild general

wardancers or swordmasters as greatswords

My GG were crossbowmen here haha. I also have a Glade Lord that I use as a General, but I really want mine on the Nomad Prince's 32mm base and the General is on a 25mm  :/

I dunno what to use my wardancers as yet either. I use my Wildwood Rangers as Greatswords already, and the Wardancers aren't using great weapons or wearing armor. 

• Like 1

Hi all

Here is my latest variation on LIving City , I have some hammer and anvil units , and some movement shenanigans .

I can decide if I want Geminids or Lifeswarm ,  I doubt I'll get too many spells off , so I might drop the Battlemage for an Anointed on foot to keep the Phoenix guard from running away , if I keep the Anointed with them , it will save me command points for battleshock to keep them fighting. The anointed on foot can dispel as well.

I think it will be fun to play with , any suggestions ?

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Repeater Crossbow
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Ironoak Skin (Living City Wizard)
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Lifesurge (Living City Wizard)

Battleline
3 x Drakespawn Chariots (210)
10 x Dreadspears (90)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
4 x Concussors (480)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

So after years of thinking Alarielle looked amazing  and recently getting into cities (living city to be exact), then playing a game against her and seeing her all painted in person and I needed a big monster to run alongside my cities and wouldn't you know it they had one just sitting on the shelf after all this time...

Well a few weeks of quibbling and fretting about whether or not I could risk putting paint on her with my... average at best skill level I finally broke down and did it.

I'm not sure about her spear (painted to represent the 4 seasons) and could maybe stand to touch up the bone in places, and of course I still need to add the wings, but all in all I'm actually pretty darn happy with how she turned out. I've never stressed so hard in my life as I did when I dumped super glue on the face of a $100+ dollar model to glue a skull mask on (to match my swampy sylvaneth). She's very golgari inspired for any MTG fans.

20191111_221913.jpg

20191111_221826_010.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 11/10/2019 at 1:32 AM, Tidings said:

TournyBoard.jpg

What are the larger based model on the bottom left, the poses look amazing (well everything looks amazing!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

What are the larger based model on the bottom left, the poses look amazing (well everything looks amazing!)

I think they are supposed to be Wardancers. Not sure what miniatures they are based on ( would love to know!) , but they would work great as Evocators (ruleswise) :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

They are Hordes models from Privateer Press, Nyss Legionnaires if I remember right. Did weapon swaps and gave them Eternal Guard Shields to make them fit the army better. I use them as my Wood Elf Liberators! 

• Like 1

Here's my WIP fire phoenix. Finished the base last week, working on the bird now! The model is from Coolminiornot but I'm not sure if they still sell it. The rider is just a kitbash from Wild Riders and Glade Guard, the hard part was getting his legs just right and greenstuffing in between. 

Eaglebase.jpg.40a7039a1d705dab4e4a62395629c76c.jpgEagle1.jpg.f2416fe2ec0ab3b7d63e204117c5bcac.jpg

And here's a test for the fire effect on the wings. Lemme know how it could be better!

Eaglewingtest.jpg.200d5e73503fac8642952c8f5e6b7337.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

What's your scheme here?

Cloak - Goregrunta contrast, cleaned up with Mournfang Brown and highlighted with Skrag brown
Armor - Two coats of Goregrunta contrast
Cloth - Eshin grey with Dawnstone highlights, washed with Nuln Oil
Light wood, cloth strips, etc - Goregrunta layered with Zandri Dust
Fletching - some layers of reds washed with Nuln Oil. I might repaint these black though.
Skin- White base with Riekland Fleshshade wash, cleaned up with Eldar Flesh

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, finally got a game in last night against mawtribes. My list

Nomad prince with ironoak skin

Nomad prince

Battlemage with cage of Thorns

Black dragon with crossbow and spear of the Hunt

20 eternal guard

20 sisters of the watch

20 sisters of the watch

5 sisters of the thorn

5 wild riders

10 Shadow Warriors

Emerald life swarm

Extra cp.

His list

Guy on stonehorn (General)

Huskard on thundertusk

Huskard on thundertusk

4 mournfang

4 mournfang

Butcher with cauldron

3 ogors on foot

3 ogors on foot.

Played the mission that was hammer and anvil deployment with 3 objectives in each zone, you can burn them but you get more points if you hold them for longer.

Gave him the first turn (we roll off for first turn rather then who drops first chooses) so he moved up and didn't do much at all.

My first turn, shadow warriors pop up and take an objective off a ogor unit, dragon appears with them.

Sisters kill 5 mournfangs (3 from one unit, 2 from the other), shadow warriors do 5 wounds to ogor unit (enough to kill 1 and hurt a second), dragon kills the second ogor with its crossbow and moves to engage the single mournfang.

Wild riders kill two mournfang on the charge, dragon wiffs.

His turn two, his general moves up to engage my sisters and my eternal guard (with all the buffs I can put on them, on them). His huskards move up to put some snowballs into my gun line.

His charges almost wipe out my eternal guard, hurt the dragon and do nothing to the wild riders (1 wound I think) and the lone ogor engages the shadow warriors. My shooting from sisters take 5 wounds off his general.

His attacks kill the dragon (second turn of wiffs), kill a single shadow warrior, kill 3 wild riders, kill almost all the sisters of the watch.

Shadow warriors kill the ogor. Wild riders do 4 wounds to huskard.

Battleshock removes a sister unit and pulls the eternal guard out of combat.

My turn, with shooting I kill the last mournfang (Love shadow warriors, holding an objective and a flank by themselves) and the general (sisters are sooooo good)

I have run away with points at this stage, something I never thought wanderers could do.....

The next couple of turns see the huskard push up into my gunline, but I do manage to kill another before the game ends.

Really fun game, but my first turn shooting really blunted his charge, so he didn't really threaten my home base

20191115_211146.jpg

20191115_213555.jpg

20191115_221436.jpg

20191115_223133.jpg

20191115_223403.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1