AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

10 hours ago, Rogue Sun said:

I'm not sure I'd go full all in on SotW. Hard to fit that many all within 12" of the Nomad prince. But something like this could likely have merit (I think): 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
Nomad Prince (120)
Sorceress (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (480)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (480)
30 x Eternal Guard (330)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
1 x Scourgerunner Chariots (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

One Nomad Prince and SotW deepstrike along with 2 Scourge Runners to annoy/run interference. The rest of the army advances behind the EG who get buffed up by the SotT. The non-deepstruck Scourge Runners stay at the flanks providing some sniping and harrassment. 

Its funny that you grabbed a sorceress because she will probably be an auto-include in my cities lists. There is a lot of hype around the battlemages, but the Sorceress warscroll spell insanely good. The potential casting bonus and decent command ability are just icing on the cake. 

I don't think the Sisters of the Thorn are necessary in this list, since you already have batteline filled out. I would probably also try to squeeze in some darkling coven infantry so that the sorceress could boost her casting if necessary. 

Quick Question: If my general is a Lord-Arcanum for a Living Cities army and I have enough other units for the 1/4 rule on Stormcasts, can Sequitors be battleline in Cities of Sigmar? Or is this just a rule for Stormcast Eternals armies?

Also, can I use the Cleansing Phalanx in Cities of Sigmar if I meet the requirements for the units or are battalions only for the armies of their related books?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, lucasok said:

Quick Question: If my general is a Lord-Arcanum for a Living Cities army and I have enough other units for the 1/4 rule on Stormcasts, can Sequitors be battleline in Cities of Sigmar? Or is this just a rule for Stormcast Eternals armies?

You cannot - they are Battle Line in a Stormcast Eternals army with the correct general. Since you'd be playing a Cities of Sigmar list they still won't fill your battle line requirement. 

15 hours ago, lucasok said:

Also, can I use the Cleansing Phalanx in Cities of Sigmar if I meet the requirements for the units or are battalions only for the armies of their related books?

Thanks!

You can use the Cleansing Phalanx as an allied selection (thus subject to all usual requirements) and the units that make up the battalion would also be allies. I've attached the relevant FAQ section as to the 'why' of this. 

image.png.45b457594acde338cf3760330f80bfa1.png

42 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

You can use the Cleansing Phalanx as an allied selection (thus subject to all usual requirements) and the units that make up the battalion would also be allies. I've attached the relevant FAQ section as to the 'why' of this. 

There is a question mark over using certain allied battalions, precisely because of that FAQ entry.

Cleansing Phalanx has an allegiance of "Stormcast Eternals" (this is specifically mentioned a couple of questions later)

Q: Some warscroll battalions included in battletomes do not have a faction listed above their title. How do I determine which faction they belong to for the purposes of allegiance abilities?
A: The battalion belongs to all of the factions in that battletome. For example, the warscroll battalions in Battletome: Stormcast Eternals are part of the Stormcast Eternals faction.

So, the 2nd part of the FAQ applies, as a Cities of Sigmar army is a different Allegiance to Stormcast Eternals.

Specifically,

An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

Cities of Sigmar can't take Stormcast Eternals as Allies as they're not on the Allies list; same as Tempest's Eye can't take Kharadron Allies, and Living City can't take Sylvaneth Allies. Instead of course, we have our custom rules. e.g.

"1 in every 4 units in a Cities of Sigmar army can be a STORMCAST ETERNALS unit. Those units gain the CITIES OF SIGMAR keyword and the city keyword chosen for your army."

This is somewhat akin to the behemoth or artillery restrictions, where we can have X amount of those units but not a separate points section as allies do - and of course, they get the CoS keywords, which allies don't. 

So going by the Core Rulebook Designer's Commentary as written; if we're using a battalion from a different book we have to count the points for those stormcast units and the battalion itself in the allies section - which we can't use for Stormcast, even though we can take the units themselves by another mechanism.

I had hoped this would get resolved one way of the other in the CoS Errata, but no joy so far.

5 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

*Snip*

You're 100% correct, I totally forgot about the actual allies restriction given that SCE aren't a CoS ally. I was answering purely based off the fact that if you were able to it would be an ally but SCE aren't a legal CoS ally at all. 

Edited by SwampHeart

Hey all,

++NOOB WARNING++

Boychick has been warhammering me into the ground for about six months now, and now only communicates in dice rolls. Beat em / Join em, I've given in and reckon that CoS and Living City interest me enough to jump in. Currently corralling an army out of assorted D&D figures, toy soldiers, matchstickmen etc. until payday kicks in.

I've got the germ of an idea from this: namely, an upstart offshoot of the LC setting up in a Wyldwood, deep in jungle on the edge of the Vindpool and occupied by a ragtag band of misfit humans and a few WWR, with some kind of dryad component. Backstory is that the General (human, female) was the lover of a SCE general - based on Neave Whatsername - and, through some unfortunate Thing in Her Past, had to take up the 'offer' of starting a colony and leaving the City.

Further misfortune means that the chosen spot has, of course, been chosen before, and the colonists disturb a necropolis and thus find themselves fighting off a bunch of Undead (kiddo plays Nagash, see).

Thus far can imagination take me. I need to know:

- if my human female general can have any sylvaneth-like traits? I see her as a retired badass with new skills,  growing a settlement in the woods and somewhat grumpily taking up arms again.

- what are my artillery options? I seem to have formed the idea that a lot of the archery units have been squatted, which is upsetting.

- I want a bunch of females,  too. Are there any human women in AoS? Secondly, the relief force (lead by General's ex-lover,obvs) are going to be all female. Which might be tricky.

-  Is my idea bollocks?

Oh yeah. And hi.

B

• LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, bilbo said:

Hey all,

++NOOB WARNING++

Boychick has been warhammering me into the ground for about six months now, and now only communicates in dice rolls. Beat em / Join em, I've given in and reckon that CoS and Living City interest me enough to jump in. Currently corralling an army out of assorted D&D figures, toy soldiers, matchstickmen etc. until payday kicks in.

I've got the germ of an idea from this: namely, an upstart offshoot of the LC setting up in a Wyldwood, deep in jungle on the edge of the Vindpool and occupied by a ragtag band of misfit humans and a few WWR, with some kind of dryad component. Backstory is that the General (human, female) was the lover of a SCE general - based on Neave Whatsername - and, through some unfortunate Thing in Her Past, had to take up the 'offer' of starting a colony and leaving the City.

Further misfortune means that the chosen spot has, of course, been chosen before, and the colonists disturb a necropolis and thus find themselves fighting off a bunch of Undead (kiddo plays Nagash, see).

- if my human female general can have any sylvaneth-like traits? I see her as a retired badass with new skills,  growing a settlement in the woods and somewhat grumpily taking up arms again.

- what are my artillery options? I seem to have formed the idea that a lot of the archery units have been squatted, which is upsetting.

- I want a bunch of females,  too. Are there any human women in AoS? Secondly, the relief force (lead by General's ex-lover,obvs) are going to be all female. Which might be tricky.

-  Is my idea bollocks?

Oh yeah. And hi.

B

Hi,

Welcome to AOS and the Cities.  I think your background lore is great and fits in nicely with plenty of ways for it to develop over time.  

There are plenty of human women in the lore, it's the model range that is sadly lacking in that regard.  The Aelven models are the most gender diverse, with obviously Sisters (both Watch and Thorn) being all female sculpts, but many other Aelven kits have female sculpts in them.  I have even used 40k wyches for kitbashing in my armies as 6 of the 10 bodies are female( no prizes for guessing I like Aelves :) ).  I would suggest a bit of kitbashing with female Aelf bodies, but  I have no idea from where you would get human female heads.  New plastic Sisters of Battle for 40k will be released soon, which could provide a source (at a price!)

For your general, you could run a human version of a Nomad Princess (just kitbashed one myself) - use a human model with the NP rules, as the Wanderers are closely linked to the Sylvaneth.  After all, folk tales abound of humans being raised by Faerie folk.  In terms of models, the Godsworn Hunt warband for Underworlds has a couple of female characters that would fit the wilderness LC look, or maybe the Darkoath Warqueen (in the Chaos section under Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness).

If you want an all-female relief force, the simplest way is Aelves

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I hope this will be of some use.  Have fun!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bilbo said:

Hey all,

++NOOB WARNING++

-  Is my idea bollocks?

Oh yeah. And hi.

B

Ello :)

There's a lot of scope for your own background in Cities, and a bunch of us are doing 'counts as' cities already, so no issues on that front - the more the merrier!

Cities is also one of the most conversion-friendly armies, both because of the relatively 'low fantasy' models, and the scope for your own backstory.

In terms of female models the aelves have by far the best range, as Aelfric lays out; either already female units, or since they share much the same bodies in dual-kits, you can swap in the existing plastic female aelf heads on pretty much any aelf and have it work.

The next best is stormcast eternals - Sequitor and Evocator multipart kits come with 2 in 5 female bodies, with helmet or bare headed, and they're not radically different from the male models in the set; if you can live with the slightly stockier chests, you can just add human female heads to all of them and they look fine. To avoid too many duplicates, you can get the forgeworld stormcast eternals female heads.

There are also some other female stormcast; most of the the easy to build stormcast sets have 1 in 3 female models, one of the ballista crew is female and there's also naeve blacktalon. Most of the older kits pre soul wars (liberators, cavalry, heroes) are male only though. That said, the armour is so big compared to the heads it wouldn't look super out of place to put female heads on them too.

statuesque 'heroic scale' female heads are designed to convert larger male-sized GW models, while the heroic scale narrow female heads work better on slighter or originally female models.

e.g. heroic

Heroic1.jpg

vs heroic narrow

narrowgw3s.jpg

For normal sized slighter human models, e.g. freeguild, the narrow-scale also looks a better fit, especially if you keep some of the original male heads. All the freeguild models are male, but sufficiently clothed (and usually with breastplates) so you could get away with just smaller head swaps, e.g. the statueque heroic narrow options - but I'll come back to this with an even better option in a minute.

For more heavily armoured women, 'borrowing' 40k sisters of silence definitely works - Sisters of Silence vigilators are a perfect stand-in for greatswords, and would also work great for a female freeguild general, with statuesque heroic narrow head-swaps optional (obviously you wouldn't use the gun versions)

narrowGWbobs.jpg

Another great source of bits for female human models is anvil industries - the range is biased towards 40k imperial guard, but they have several bits that you could convert freeguild units with some carving/chopping, particularly some of the torsos combined with statuesque female head swaps; hussars for cavalry, cuirass for freeguild guard and crossbelts for crossbows/handgunners, for example.

F-Hussar-F-400x400.jpg.8c8d7cea51d7c4fa28b97c4526d86051.jpgF-Cuirass-F-400x400.jpg.5d65060a5686b67c4b3573387f7dc957.jpgF-Cross-Belt-F-400x400.jpg.92d97b401fb9742c1c112895b2ef663b.jpg

Most of the rest of the female models out there don't fit GW scale; the frostgrave soldiers II box would be great, but they're a head shorter than GW's 'heroic' scale, and the hands are noticeable smaller - they're 'pulp' or 'true' 28mm scale rather than GW's effective 32mm scale these days. If you weren't mixing and matching though, it could work as the basis for an entirely female unit.

North-Star-Frostgrave-Soldiers-II-0.png?

One exception is reaper minatures; they have a bunch of single-pose female models, that would work fine for characters or the odd female model and blend right into GW size.

Lastly, merely for completeness, if you can live with very exaggerated ******, there's *some* raging heroes models that fit in freeguild, but their range is mostly near-naked (or completely naked) dark elves or chaos in 'joints don't work that way' poses so not to my taste personally.

Edited by Arkhanist
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

You cannot - they are Battle Line in a Stormcast Eternals army with the correct general. Since you'd be playing a Cities of Sigmar list they still won't fill your battle line requirement. 

Thanks for clarifying all that!

• Like 1

I'm just about to finish off my Eldar army and I'm thinking of getting stuck into my old Wood Elf/Sylvaneth collection around Christmas.

Right now, I have Eternal Guard, SotT, Shadow Warriors (converted 'waywatchers' with eternal guard bodies and shadow warrior weapons), Durthu, Treelord Ancient, some Dryads, and a Glade Lord.Wanderers.jpg.0511d060f4cca0a875059ded57e4faf1.jpg

Does the following seem like an ok, fluffy list? It comes in at 1,990 right now.

LEADERS

• Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
  • Nomad Prince (120) - General
  • Spirit of Durthu (340)
  • Treelord Ancient (300)

UNITS

• 10 x Eternal Guard (130)
  • 5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
  • 10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
  • 5 x Wild Riders (130)
  • 10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
  • 3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatbows

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

• Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
Edited by Rekkiem
  • LOVE IT! 2

Hi all! 

I've written this list keeping in mind models I already possess. 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Assassin (80)
- General
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Lance of Spite & Repeater Crossbow
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Ironoak Skin (Living City Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Lore of Leaves: Cage of Thorns

Battleline
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
30 x Eternal Guard (330)

Units
20 x Executioners (260)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Let me know if you like It. 

p.s. Sorry if i made some mistakes but english isn't my native language 

3 hours ago, Rekkiem said:

I'm just about to finish off my Eldar army and I'm thinking of getting stuck into my old Wood Elf/Sylvaneth collection around Christmas.

Right now, I have Eternal Guard, SotT, Shadow Warriors (converted 'waywatchers' with eternal guard bodies and shadow warrior weapons), Durthu, Treelord Ancient, some Dryads, and a Glade Lord.Wanderers.jpg.0511d060f4cca0a875059ded57e4faf1.jpg

Does the following seem like an ok, fluffy list? It comes in at 1,990 right now.

LEADERS

• Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
  • Nomad Prince (120) - General
  • Spirit of Durthu (340)
  • Treelord Ancient (300)

UNITS

• 10 x Eternal Guard (130)
  • 5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
  • 10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
  • 5 x Wild Riders (130)
  • 10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
  • 3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatbows

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

• Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Welcome back Wanderer! The only problem with your list is that you have 1 unit too many of Sylvaneth. Only 1 in 4 can be Sylvaneth, you currently have 3/10.

I'd suggest building out that Eternal Guard unit, you need 30! Kurnoth Hunters are amazing, but are usually better when using scythes or swords. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tidings said:

Welcome back Wanderer! The only problem with your list is that you have 1 unit too many of Sylvaneth. Only 1 in 4 can be Sylvaneth, you currently have 3/10.

I'd suggest building out that Eternal Guard unit, you need 30! Kurnoth Hunters are amazing, but are usually better when using scythes or swords. 

Gotcha! That makes sense - I'm sure I knew that but somehow got a bit too carried away when sorting out the last couple of hundred points!

Are EG still decent? I only remember being able to abuse their save roll with the SotT spell for those defensive mortal wounds. Otherwise, I quite like the look of the SotW rules as a decent source of mortal wounds.