The Painting Contract - October 2019

TheOtherJosh

Bought a bunch of bonesplitterz I need to paint. Gonna contrast the lot.

To do as much as possible:

- 2 Wurrgogg Prophets

- 1 Savage Big Boss (done)

- 1 Maniak Weirdnob (done)

- 10 Maniak Boarboys

- 40 arrow boys (20 down, 20 to go)

- 6 big stabbas (2 down, 4 to go)

I'll post pics when I'm spent. Gotta keep going!!!

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, miguel_fernan said:

Hi everyone!

This is my first time participating in this iniciative and honestly Im really excited, Im gonna try post pics about my progress to get motivation to continue my work, even though my painting lvl is pretty noob as I just started into this part of the hobby.

In anticipation of Ossiarch Bonesplitters release, where Im gonna be heavy invested, I figured Im not gonna have time to anything else in the next couple of months other than building, priming and painting this army. So im gonna challenge myself to finish my 1.5k list of Gloomspite Gitz, and finish my models for my Ossiarch army to a more advanced lvl than tabletop.

Im gonna do my contract for:

1 arkhan and mount. They are tabletop lvl now, im gonna do layers and give my first try at highlights. It would be one of the centerpieces of my army, and I want him to be the best I can do.

2 morghast. Same, layers and highlights. They are now tabletop lvl.

3 Rockgut trogoths. Going for tabletop lvl, they are right now only primed.

6 rockgut trogoths. Going for tabletop lvl, but they are pretty much finished now, only missing a couple of details (they have tons xD)

2 Dankhold trogoths (one regular and one trogboss). Tabletop lvl, now only primed.

2 wizards from goobalpalooza to use as fungoid chamans, tabletop lvl, now only primed.

10 boingrot bounderz, tabletop lvl, now I have 5 missing only a couple of details, the other 5 only primed.

The bad moon scenery, tabletop lvl, now only primed.

I think is a good list for my first month with a painting contract and I will for sure need motivation as I dont have really much time to paint with my current job. Lets see how it ends.

Im rooting for all of you, keep the good work!

Hi there and good afternoon!

Since it is the 10th and I just finished my Dankhold Troggoth (ended going with full paint following the Warhammer TV video) I figured out it is a good time to post an how Im doing post and to receive feedback and motivation. Sorry for the potato photos, all were taken with my phone.

I ended up not touching morghast and Arkhan (yet) as I wanted to be optimal with the use of my paintings, and that werent going to be used in other models yet. So progress 0%

And as for the gloomspite, lets go to show them! Family picture

20191010_174126.jpg.f82231f74c6147e640e5e1559afd5873.jpg

3 rockgut trogoths (tabletop). Skin almost finished, base finished. So around 25/30% completed.

6 rockgut trogoths  (tabletop), unless im missing small details, finished. A little bittersweet because Im xtremely proud of my bases (first time trying to do something special and I think I nailed the rock efect with the cardboard) but really dissapointed with the faces, as Im pretty sure the colors I choice dont go well together.

20191010_174302-croped.jpg.211b1d2911319848cf8dc33b57f7cdb2.jpg

2 Dankhold troggoths (tabletop). I would call this 80% completed. Once is fully finished (with the warhammer video) and the other has layers on the skin (but not really like it, is a technique I definetely need to polish) and rest of detailes have base colors and shade pretty much all of them. So with a couple of more days of work, and finishing the base, it will be over.

Completed (and pretty) one

20191010_172444-croped.png.1d3dfba857b876e67aa41ee67e9f663a.png

Not so pretty one

20191010_174415-croped.jpg.ffde9d4415a5e5b0d18f65e15a6a4a1f.jpg

2 gobbapalozza wizards to use as fungoid (tabletop). I would say 70% finished one, 20% the other. The almost finished is because I love the model, and put much effort that on the other one. But honestly Im gonna have to fight the urge to finish it at a better lvl because I love it, and that would made me not finish the contract xD

20191010_174242-croped.png.adc03f45c7d07e6fb13623adac0166b9.png

the other one

20191010_174434-croped.png.1543a1e916a52f4a1954ebd50dee7c1e.png

the 10 boingrot (tabletop). I honestly dont know what to say xD I would call them finished, but I dont like the ropes as black and Im thinking of doing test in some of the bits of the rockguts (the gobling hanging). That would put them at 70% and again I wont have time to finish everything on time for the Ossiarchs to arrive. So dont know what to do. Somewhat happy with the end result.

And last the moon (tabletop) only advanced in the bigger parts, so 20% completed.

Overall pretty happy with my work this first full third, and my games are looking more awesome now with less grey. But my confidence on ending everything prior to receiving my first Ossiarch to build are going down xD. Im loving the contract this far though because is the boost of confidence I need to pick up the brushes and just get the work done, and overall Im learning tons looking for new techniques and asking for feedback.

Speaking of that, anything goes and pretty much say wherever you want, im fairly new to painting but I love learning and any comments are welcome.

You all keep the good work, there is still plenty of time and you can do it!! And thanks for reading!!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Looks good @miguel_fernan, although If I were you I would try to thin down your paint with water, and paint your miniatures with 1-2Thin coats of paint rather than 1thick coat.

although if you’re painting with contrast 1thick coat will usually be enough.

Thanks! I already do it, or at least try to thin down the paints, I would add more water and go for 2 coats :) thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

So... completed building the Grymwatch and the Sepulchral Guard (... they’ve been biding time in their box quietly since season 1 ... minus the universal cards ...)

Grabbed a small spray tent to do priming in (so I don’t get overspray on stuff and need to keep around a cardboard box for it.) 

Turns out that the Beastgrave terrain that I thought was “modular” isn’t so much ... but I’ll get it built anyway... maybe even get it primed ... B|

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

Night shift productivity helped me reach my goal of 1 model :D

Interesting warrior unit you have ... they must be from the Realm of Chaos ... I hear they get all wonky like that ;) something about time being relative or something!

And to think I’m Still trying to get stuff primed .... 

Edited by TheOtherJosh

On 10/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

Hey ... don’t worry about where you paint ... any table you paint at is a painting table. (And the magnets look like a great idea!)

Hi Josh, 

Sorry for the late response! Thanks about the magnets, they were a bit pricey, but man they're worth it! Will eventually transition most of my eels to this.

I bought the magnet + bases + supplies from Magnet Baron, if anyone is interested. I know they do customer orders on top of the stuff they already sell.

Got the rest of my army primed. 

I should wait on the rest of my paints to come in... but I might paint something this weekend with what I have lol.

0v1WapQ.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

C

Nice! They appear to be word bearers, though their shoulderpads say deathguard... Correct me if i'm wrong?

Word bearese with iconography of all the gods, so our mate in front has a khornate axe, a plague marine bolter and the marks of slaanesh and tzeentch on his armour

Knight of shrouds done, depending on how much time I have this weekend I may also finish one more.

Not so sure about the sword,. Quiet happy what you can do with one layer of Warp lightning, but for this it might look better with a "normal" steell/rust kind look. Any thoughts?

635043957_ChainRasp-full(1).jpg.9133cbf7ca67165c8e8602a514353771.jpg

987041811_ChainRasp-full(2).jpg.52804ea3e886fff588349633cd4f72fb.jpg

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2