Battleforce 2019 speculations

Minis by Night

My guesses...

Gloomspite

Skaven

Fyreslayers

Sylvaneth

Free Cities

With so many battletomes in the past year there's plenty of guesses though 2 of the boxes last year didn't have tomes. The fact that there's still the Slaves to Darkness one on shelves though I think shows they didn't sell well (not sure on Seraphon) so I think GW will be more hesitant to put one for bookless armies out.  If FEC got one I could see Fyreslayers getting one, they have become far more popular since their new battletome. I didn't want to put Free Cities or Warclans in here but I feel like GW isn't quite putting the effort behind them they have other tomes due to the lack of terrain and sharing a release date though I know there's plenty of other explanations. BUT I really want one, it could let them clear out inventory, and I could very much be wrong about GW perception of Free Cities. I went with 5 battletomes since they did more than 4 for 40k last year and I feel AoS has been growing.

Edited by Forrix

10 hours ago, FallenSerf said:

I hope that they resurrect the "Warriors of the Great Cites" battle force boxes from the Firestorm campaign. (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/17/the-season-of-war-continues-in-firestorm-aug17gw-homepage-post-2/) for at least some of the Xmas boxes. Maybe this year AoS gets 6 boxes like 40K did last year.

Well two of them have more or less been turned into the new start collecting set, sans stormcast and with a few less troops.

Speculation? 

Bonereapers/Skaven/Slaanesh/Khorne/Gitz

Skavens popularity makes them top contender for one of the battleforces IMO.

Not enough newer models to fill out a battleforce (would be extremely troop heavy which would be fantastic for the consumer but I just do not believe GW will spring for something so cost effective when it hurts their bottom line) for any of the orruk factions. Ogres are potentially too far off for the christmas release. 

Cities of sigmar has too many distinct subfactions to make a truly useful generic battleforce box. It would also end up troop heavy like the orruks and GW doesn't often offer savings for battlelines (seraphon box being one of the rare value exceptions exceeding 80 USD)

Stormcast - Just hoping GW gives them a break. They have a bloated line that if anything needs to be cut back. They have also had a battleforce and multiple starters but this is just a wish from me as poster boys often show up repeatedly. 

Excluded: Kharadron/STD/Lizards/tzeentch/LoN/DoK/Iodoneth as they have already had battleforce boxes and some (like slaves) did very poorly.

Edited by TheCovenLord

It is not unusual for GW to put out battle forces that are basically a start collecting, see the Idoneth last year that was basically a start collecting with a different hero and 2 sharks or the vanguard that was almost 2 start collecting. I can therefore see Fyreslayers getting one this year.

Cities and Orruks could be an interesting choice but they suffer the same problem as Skaven that you may not offer enough interesting choices. This did not stop GW in the past however, apart the discount not all battleforces releases were great options for the tabletop.

Nighthaunt has almost everything on already existing sets AND will be the focus of the upcoming subscription service, I don’t think they are gonna get anything. If they are on the table, Sacrosant would be too.

My bets: Flesh-Eater, Gloomspite, Fyreslayers, Khorne

I wouldn't count Nighthaunt as out just because they're in Soul Wars. Both Primaris and Death Guard received a box last year despite the raft of support, including Conquest.

It's not impossible we might see a Fyreslayers box, but I do think it's unlikely.  Most likely it would be Start Collecting(!) with a Battlesmith or Auric Runemaster and a box of Hearthguard, maybe two.  Slaves to Darkness' 2018 box was essentially the Start Collecting(!) with another box of Knights, a Manticore and Warshine. Of course, those were all older kits. On the other hand, Fyreslayers don't exactly shift boxes quickly compared to pretty much any other AoS-only army.

We've had city boxsets with Firestorm, so I could see Empire Free Peoples getting a box too. StD certainly set up the precedent of older WHFB collections getting one and they don't even have a Battletome.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

Since Cities of Sigmar got one SC! box for dwarves and one for elves (or Greywater Fastness and Avilgard) it wouldn't surprise me if humans got a battleforce instead, possibly marked Hammerhal. They might even throw in some stormcast so they can get the golden boys in without having to give them another dedicated battleforce.

1 hour ago, Not-not-kenny said:

Since Cities of Sigmar got one SC! box for dwarves and one for elves (or Greywater Fastness and Avilgard) it wouldn't surprise me if humans got a battleforce instead, possibly marked Hammerhal. They might even throw in some stormcast so they can get the golden boys in without having to give them another dedicated battleforce.

Hammerhal, Anvilgard, and Tempest’s Eye got boxes during the Firestorm campaign.

Spikeybits Link

7 hours ago, prochuvi said:

Not related to what faction gonna be released but, with the brexxi and how the new eldar box have a cost of 180€.

Maybe next battleforces have a increase to 180€ also?

I hope not or i wont buy more if it isnt 100% warranted every unit on it

Maybe, but compared to things like Shadowspear/Carrion Empire, the Christmas Battleforces aren't guaranteed sellers. Genestealer Cults and StD took over a year to finally go out of stock and several of the non-Imperial/Stormcast ones took nearly as long. They may be wary of putting the price up too much. At most, I could see them go to £125 but £110 seems more likely to me.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

I think based on the tomes which got released over 2019 and were not in battle boxes then I could see the following

Beasts of chaos

Fyreslayers

Gitz

Stormcast as they always get one/sell

Maybe Slaanesh to cash in on success, but no keeper will be inside

I can’t see cities getting one as they have 2 start collecting coming out soon and the army is too varied. I think it will be too soon for orruks and  Bonereapers.

Khorne wont as we had one a few years back and I would be surprised if there is stock around to make one with all the other goodness released this year. 

Edited by Praecautus
Updated reasoning