Battleforce 2019 speculations

Minis by Night

Ladies and gentlemen, it's almost that time of the year again where Papa Nurgle GW bless us with their huge boxes of plastic at a  pretty interesting discount.  You will drool, your wallet will cry, your significant other will face-palm and some people will be salty. If you've been around for the last few years, you know the drill.

But right now is the time for speculations, wild guesses and crazy gambles. I think we can be fairly sure that there *will* be Battleforce boxes, since we have had no rumours indicating otherwise, and they added two more last year. So what armies do you think/wish/hope will be in those boxes? How many boxes will we get this time? Will there be boxes that are not armies (paints, terrain or models)? Which one of these box will stay on the shelves until next summer?

Unless it upsets the admins,  feel free to also speculate on the 40k boxes if you feel so inclined.

As a point of reference, here are the boxes we got in the last 3 years:

AoS:
  • Idoneth Deepkin
  • Slaves to Darkness
  • Daughters of Khaine
  • Seraphon
40k:
  • Craftworld
  • Death Guard
  • Necron
  • Imperial Fists
  • Primaris Space Marine
  • Adeptus Mechanicus
AoS:
  • Stormcast Vanguards
  • Grand Alliance Death(LoN)
  • Tzeentch Arcanites
  • Kharadron Overlords
40k:
  • Orks
  • Genestealer Cults
  • Astra Militarum
  • T'au Empire
AoS:
  • Stormcasts
  • Ironjawz
  • Sylvaneth
  • Khorne Bloodbound
40k:
  • Space Wolves
  • T'au Empire
  • Adeptus Mechanicus
  • Deathwatch
Edited by Minis by Night
  • Like 3

Nighthaunt would be cool. But they are still available in the starter set, so it would have to be some of the non easy to build kits.

gloomspite seems like a safe bet. Maybe a troll focused selection to complement looncurse and a more squiggly selection left for the eventual start collecting set.

has there ever been a Fyreslayers battle force? N not sure if its likely but I'd certainly like a cheap way to get some of their core kits.

My guesses:
-Fyreslayers (Never had a VS. box like many of the releases this year)
-Gloomspite Gitz (New faction released at the beginning of the year, no SC box)
-Bonesplitterz (No SC box, lots of hype for orruks right now, never sold particularly well before)
-Skaven non-pestilens (No SC box for standard Skaven)

They like getting the year's new stuff into battleforce boxes, since they don't have SC boxes yet and are still popular and fresh. Though I don't think Ossiarchs will make it into the list due to their close proximity to Christmas. If Bonesplitterz end up being in some kind of dual box with Ogors, I expect Hedonites in their place instead.

I could see Nighthaunt getting a boxed set. 

Gloomspite seems to be a popular bet and I can see why - a strong selling army that began way at the start of the year so ample time between then and a christmas boxed set.

Slaanesh or Nurgle for chaos who seem to get one a year. Hard pick as Slaanesh is new, though a box for them really cries out for throwing in a keeper and that eats up a big chunk of money for a Christmas box. Meanwhile Nurgle are quite popular and have quite a wide variety of choices 

Also it strikes me that Tyranids could get a box for Christmas this year for 40K

I'm not so sure on Slaanesh - I don't know if they have the models available to differentiate between this and the Start Collecting, and Wrath and Rapture. A Keeper is likely too big to stick in the box, a chariot is already in the SC, Syll'eske and the Masque are named characters so they are unlikely to be put in the box, and that just leaves the Contorted Epitome. Other than that, Slaanesh have two models that have not already been in a set before - the finecast herald, and hellstriders. Neither are new, and neither would really sell the set.  

3 minutes ago, Banshee1978 said:

I dont think we will see fyreslayers. Most of the stuff is in the start collecting too. Just not enough kits to really make a difference with a BF

From memory they tend to get previewed around the stat of December and get released during that month. They are produced in large numbers, but once the stock is gone its gone. A Gloomspite I'd wager could sell out really fast; whilst Slaves to Darkness (army with no battletome) still has theirs from last christmas on sale. Note if you're intersted in that expect it to vanish from sale come November/December (GW generally clears them out)

Well a keeper-less slaanesh box would be pretty handy for fleshing out models to summon. Maybe three chariot kits, 20 daemonettes, 5 seekers, 3 fiends? Actually, nah. That'd be too good of a deal. Forchaos I'd lean towards beasts of chaos since they've been out for a while and would be pretty easy to put together. 

With them curiously not releasing an actual Free Peoples box, it definitely feels like there is a Battleforce opportunity there, or maybe an upcoming vs Box.

Previous Battleforce Boxes include Beastclaw Raiders getting a box that had Yhettis, Kitties, and the Resin Hunter, so I don't think model quality is a major obstacle.

Fyreslayers have never gotten a box, but what would they put in it? The only thing not in the SC box is the Hearthguard kit and a couple of heroes. Slaanesh has a similar problem, and they just got a big vs box last Christmas.

Stormcast are also pretty much out, their whole range has been pretty covered by prior Battleforce/Starter boxes.

Aside from Gloomspite, I feel there's going to be some real surprise choices this year.

• Like 1

My guesses:

AoS

• Stormcasts (Sancrosanct)
  • Skaven (This time a mix of different clans)
  • Gloomspites or Sylvaneth...althrough I can rather imagine GG as their Model range offers more
  • Ossiarch Bonereapers if GW goes heavy into seducing players to buy them

Memorable but rather not likely to happen in my opinion: CoS could be a great way for GW to sell a mixed bag. Tempest Eye or Living City could be especially interesting as both can lure players into another faction over time.

• Black Legion/ CSM
  • Space Marines, don´t know how many different boxes this time. Maybe a Vanguard Heavy for Ravenguard? Ans something with the new Tanks for Ironhands. Uh, and Ultramarines.
  • Aeldari, maybe with 1-2 of the new kits. Althrough I could really imagine both, Drukhari and Craftworlds getting a box
  • Adeptus Custodes could be a very shiny and interesting one. A Unit of Guards, a unit of terminators, a unit of bikes and a landraider or Contemptor Dread and call it a day
  • Adeptus Sororitas, if GW goes nuts with OBR for AoS, why not Soros for 40k?

I belive AoS may get more focus this year than the last one, and GW may try to increase sales by bundeling some of the newer kits.