Age of sigmar video game ideas.

MMORPG with gameplay similar to Planetside 2 with the different GAs fighting an endless control campaign over a section of a realm. Territories change based upon who controls it. Game starts with one realm (perhaps Fire or Life) and could do expansions into other realms based on the popularity of the game. 

Edited by Ironbreaker
  • Like 3

Total War Age of Sigmar! We have Old World now bring that fantastic engine and game to the new world! Don't really think I have to sell this one - and if you've not tried it then totally check out TW Warhammer! 

Cities Realmskies - City builder focused around the Stormcast, but expanding likely with expansion packs for different races/grand alliances. Allowing you to build the super epic skyscraper magical cities of the realms. A one of a kind fantasy city building sim game that puts you in charge of where the walls go; where the bastions are; the food; the roadways. Manage issues such as congestion of transport beasts on the main networks; balance magical influx so that your mage universities can research; ensure the KO have enough skyports to trade and transport goods; setup intricate road networks both through the city and into the surrounding countryside. 
Tackle issues such as chaos invasions; policies to avoid chaos corruption; choose if you pay the Tithe or not! 

Action RPG game where you are the Stormcast. Adventuring through a series of epic battles. Fighting through hoards of chaos; swarms of skaven; mighty orruks and even up against vast godbeasts. Fight on the moving cities built atop the backs of roaming wurms, the huge skyscrapers swaying too and fro and teaming with skaven. A epic story woven into it showing you the tormented mind of a once man now stormcast as he fights to purge the land of chaos; whilst also dealing with the demons of his half forgotten past. See the struggles as he witnesses the ruins of his past; the surviving vestiges of his people; see him war with the internal conflict as he must put down the corrupted. 

Shadow of the Mythic Age - you are Sigmar and its the Age of Myth. Nay even the time just before. Travel over the vast open plains of the Realms; jump through raw magic realmgates and do battle with the gigantic godbeasts of myth and legend. Each one a mysterious puzzle to work out how to defeat. You are a GOD, no base warriors or champions would even stand in your way; nay your focus is purely on these godbeasts. (yes this is Shadow of the Colossus in AoS form)

• Like 5

Might see some in the warhammer TV licensing show tomorrow, but there was some evidence pointing to a studio of the old chaps behind the company of heroes games working on the AoS IP, and seeing something like DoW 2 in the AoS setting would make me very happy.

An age of reckoning style RvR game would also be sweet but a mighty undertaking to create, maybe starting less ambitious like previous projects could keep it from spreading itself too thin to begin with.

Lastly a Witcher 3 style RPG, I would even live with a Stormcast which would probably be the protagonist just to travel and explore the lands and really get to explore some of the cities of the realms, with meaningful interactions with different characters and races in the AoS setting.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Overread said:

Cities Realmskies - City builder focused around the Stormcast, but expanding likely with expansion packs for different races/grand alliances. Allowing you to build the super epic skyscraper magical cities of the realms. A one of a kind fantasy city building sim game that puts you in charge of where the walls go; where the bastions are; the food; the roadways. Manage issues such as congestion of transport beasts on the main networks; balance magical influx so that your mage universities can research; ensure the KO have enough skyports to trade and transport goods; setup intricate road networks both through the city and into the surrounding countryside. 
Tackle issues such as chaos invasions; policies to avoid chaos corruption; choose if you pay the Tithe or not! 

Now this is a game I can get behind. Still behind in my list though (TW Warhammer has been on my game wishlist for ages, and now it's a sweet sweet reality). Cities Altdorf is still my first pick.

But Paradox has published a fantastic game, Tyranny, a narrative game where you choose the path your malign overlord takes in his way to total domination. I'd like a similar approach, but from both the points of view of a Darkoath warqueen and a Stormcast Celestant. Mix this with XCOM, and you'd get what, to me, is the perfect AoS game, for three reasons:

1- Flesh out the workings of each Realm. (I can imagine realm-based DLCs. Week 1, Chamon, Third month: Ghur, Fifth month: Hyish and Ulgu... help).

2- Give us a perspective on Chaos that's not a) I'M AN EVIL MONSTER OF MURDER AND RAPE, or b) I'm such an ignorant barbarian. Chaos, capital C, is supposed to be the goal of the anarchist and the freedom fighter as well. Not born of ignorance, but of a corruption of noble archetypes where, contrary to Coltrane, it's not giant steps, but small ones which lead one astray, and Gandalf may become Saruman if he is not wary. The official lore rarely portrays Chaos this way.

3- Turn based strategy, like the game you play, inside a meaningful campaign, like the game you can never play. What more publicity you want?

There would be heroes, battles (turn based xcom-like, but with units intead of individuals), land development, founding of free cities, rebuilding of infrastructure, standing within your own Stormhost, and with Sigmar back in Azys, sending you supplies or admonishing you, and maybe even dealing with other Stormhosts, who are probably not always in good terms with one another.

I like that Sigmar's Tempest came first, and then things got quieter and the building began. Initial bonus to conquest, followed by a surge in colonists, etc etc.

GW has been worried for decades that, if computer games were to come out and be successful (like Total War Warhammer has done), less people would buy their toys because more people would be keyboard, and not brush, in hand. This has been proven wrong, first with Dawn of War, and then with TWW.

• Like 2

I would like a TW style game, based on Path to Glory perhaps.

I would not buy a first person game where you play a Stormcast, or even a Freeguild Guard. In Fantasy Battle (if I am correct, never played it), units would gain experience and leaders could get a whole lot of different upgrades, in AoS this is not the case.

Starting with a small force, say 100 points or the equivalent to an Underworlds warband, and gaining more and more (through Warcry and ME equivalents) until you are fielding a 3000 points force in the final phases of the game sounds epic. You could make or break alliances through choices, and have a base where you can make sure your army is stocked. Those allies and that base also need help, of course, which you'll need to provide.

• Like 1

Speaking for the German Community: A Farmland Simulator in which you play a regular citizen of the mortal realms who tries to defend his crops and family against famines, war and so on. We germans love our simulator games!

And now for real: A neat MMORPG could really draw a lot from the AoS Lore, but would also imply a lot of new "canon" to be written into it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a theory that a Total War: AoS is actually quite likely, after Total Warhammer 3 the developer has no more announced plans for Warhammer games, but given the success of Total Warhammer I think they'd be very keen to continue making warhammer games, with the old world being so well explored the 4th one taking place in the age of sigmar seems like an easy decision to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Storm said:

I have a theory that a Total War: AoS is actually quite likely, after Total Warhammer 3 the developer has no more announced plans for Warhammer games, but given the success of Total Warhammer I think they'd be very keen to continue making warhammer games, with the old world being so well explored the 4th one taking place in the age of sigmar seems like an easy decision to me.

Their internal campaign story to the TW Warhammer games is also leading up very nicely to a massive chaos invasion of races in the last game and the likely "End Times" of their own. Plus they've honestly done a huge amount of Warhammer in this trilogy of games already. Once the 3rd game is out the likely only big area they could update them on would be doing a fully fledged sea battle system - however with the nature of warhammer that would be as big as what they'd just made just on sea rather than land. Otherwise they'd eventually hit a point where there were no more units to add and the only factions would be ever more "theoretical" ones like Cathay and Nippon. 

Plus from the licence side of things if I were GW I'd want to encourage/push CA to making Age of Sigmar in their engine and game - link up the marketing system. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Storm said:

CA seems to make money hand over fist on it, and the recent Huntsman and the Beast shows they have not run out of good writers as well.

The issue I see, is that they will have to solidify a large swathe of the Mortal Realms to make it work. There is no map, and if you limit yourself to one realm, you're selling yourself short.

• Like 1

I'm massively in favour of a dragon age style rpg. Play an agent of the order of azyr and travel with a party of acolytes. Would be a great way to explore the society of the free cities and so long as your party was adequately diverse each character could offer a glimpse into their associated faction. For example you could have a darkling covens sorceress, an old free-guild veteran, a fyreslayer each providing more insight into how that faction lives.

Other than that I reckon a third person action game where you play a knight questor would be great and still provide plenty of opportunity to flesh out a faction or a bit of the realms. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

I'm massively in favour of a dragon age style rpg. Play an agent of the order of azyr and travel with a party of acolytes. Would be a great way to explore the society of the free cities and so long as your party was adequately diverse each character could offer a glimpse into their associated faction. For example you could have a darkling covens sorceress, an old free-guild veteran, a fyreslayer each providing more insight into how that faction lives.

Other than that I reckon a third person action game where you play a knight questor would be great and still provide plenty of opportunity to flesh out a faction or a bit of the realms. 

The issue with playing from a single point of view, is that, as much as GW tried, there is not as overwhelming a standard protagonist as in 40k, and the way you play would change massively for the different races.

I am not the market for a Stormcast, Idoneth or Skaven game, though I could be for Freeguild, Tzeench, DoK, Fyreslayers or Kharadron (to name a few of just Order and Chaos).

A Nurgle or Gitz player might not feel anything for any of those factions.

If the IP is not what's going to bind 90% of the players, the game needs to stand up as itself, and by that point, why should the developer use that expensive IP?

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

The issue with playing from a single point of view, is that, as much as GW tried, there is not as overwhelming a standard protagonist as in 40k, and the way you play would change massively for the different races.

I am not the market for a Stormcast, Idoneth or Skaven game, though I could be for Freeguild, Tzeench, DoK, Fyreslayers or Kharadron (to name a few of just Order and Chaos).

A Nurgle or Gitz player might not feel anything for any of those factions.

If the IP is not what's going to bind 90% of the players, the game needs to stand up as itself, and by that point, why should the developer use that expensive IP?

I mean I'm a lifelong destruction devotee with a little death and chaos on the side and I suggested it so... I mean perhaps its just me but I kinda expect my factions to show up as adversaries because even when they're bad guys you can still learn interesting stuff about them and get inspired by their portrayal. With the rpg idea you'd control a party of characters obviously they'd mostly be from the same allegiance (though I will always champion the inclusion of an ogor maneater for variety) but within that you can have plenty of faction variation and then the enemies you face would also be from a variety of factions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Definitely an AoS game in the style of Dawn of War 1 and 2. I prefer this kind of strategy games over Total War, as you can have skirmishes/ambushes etc and explore the various maps in real time.

Battle for Middle Earth 2 is still my favorite strategy game for pc.

BfME2 remains an amazing game. Lots of great moments with the units levelling up, the summoning of the heroes and the special abilities... it was really good. AoS could definitely use it, and it would circumvent the need for a "solid map", as was discussed before. Althoug, again, it's essentiallt the same formula as Down of War. A solid RTS. Arguably DoW began the introduction of Space Marines and 40k in general to a wider audience. "Heresy!" posts, Space Marine images and the name Warhammer are much more prevalent now than 10 years ago in the mainstream (although it was really popular here in Spain among kids my age back 15 years ago, I don't know anyone who hasn't heard about it). AoS needs a bit of that. Things that can become as classic as the bolter fire sound effect. Lines of dialogue which essentially set the stage for what AoS should sound like. Space Marines speak like they speak mostly because of DoW.

But BfME2 and DoW were resting on a very solid bedrock: seeing Rohan or Gondor in danger or the Elves ride to battle with the music and sound effects from the movies was one of the best experiences I've had with any RTS (aside maybe from the first forays into the genre with Age of Empires 2, unforgettable, and from the hero ships firing their abilities in Sins of a Solar Empire). AoS doesn't have this yet, and would need to make up for it with... well, a very good game.

Which I hope they do. 

• Like 2