The Great Company & Wholly Within

Rune

Question

Hi all,

I reached out to a Facebook group in hopes for an answer. I got one, but I would like to have your input too. People playing tournaments with Free Peoples must know this I assume.

This weekend was my first game. I played Free People, and I had a Great Company of 40 guards, 30 handgunners and another 10 handgunners.

There were different interpretations of the great company rules. Will I be able to do both 1) and 2) in the image below?

70378192_10157529087386649_7869377162929766400_o.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/7I2x6ef

My understanding was that the unit as a whole had to be fully within 12" of the entire other unit. Not on a individual model level. That would mean that 2 lines could support eachother way further than 12'', as long as they were lined up as pictures in 2).

Others understood it as all models in the unit had to be covered by 12'' of all models in the other unit. So only supporting 1)

Just a FYI I have browsed the forums. There was a question on this in the AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion but that post was locked before the person got an answer.

Edited by Rune

2 answers to this question

After the rules say "wholly within of the  unit"  the entire unit creates a fieldbubble like said in Fieldcontrol:

A unit that covers 12"x1" would have a bubble of 36"x25" where the unit could be fit in. So 1 and 2 are possible.

Edited by EMMachine
Missed out to add the 1" to the bubble itself but corrected it now.
  • Like 2

DISTANCES
Q: Sometimes a rule will specify that a model or unit needs to be ‘wholly within’ a certain distance. What exactly does ‘wholly within’ mean?
A: A model is wholly within a certain distance if every part of its base is within the stated distance. A unit is wholly within a certain distance if every part of the bases of all of the models in the unit is within the stated distance.

I don't think you need to measure the distances between the blue unit and the individual models in the red unit from the same blue model.

In OPs example, each part of the base of each model in the red unit is within 12" of one or more models in the blue unit. As far as I can determine, this satisfies the "unit wholly within" condition.

-T10