Objective control

Dolio

Question

Hi,

I am struggling to find a clear answer anywhere about this. Do I retain control of an objective if I move away from it? Move battle reports I watch on youtube, everyone seems to keep units on objectives even if they are not in danger of being stolen. The rules state:

"At the end of each player’s turn, you must check to see if either player has gained control of any objectives. To do so, you and your opponent must count up the number of models you have within 6" of the centre of each objective; you gain control of an objective where your count is higher than your opponent’s count. Once you gain control of an objective, it remains under your control until the enemy is able to gain control of it. A model can only be counted towards gaining control of one objective per turn. If one of your models could be counted towards gaining more than one objective, you must pick which one they are counted towards that turn."

To me this sounds like once I have taken an objective, even if I move away from it I still control it for the whole game, unless the enemy takes it.

What is correct here?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Remembering that some armies have summoning abilities which could mess with where their army is; or a teleporting or otherwise fast moving spell/ability. So if you abandon an objective and leave it uncontested and unprotected then an opponent might well strike out fast with what they can to reach it. If you are very smart you could do this to bait your opponent - capturing an objective early yourself and then appearing to abandon it; tempting them to focus in on it whilst you go for a second and third objective at the same time leaving you ahead even if they manage to take the one you left. 

Of course some will get the idea that they have to camp the objective (sit on it) without realising that they can leave it when the opponent is known to have no tools that could get them within range fast and thus the objective is safe (as much as it can be). 

Thanks for the quick answers! I assumed it was that way but I never saw any hard evidence of it in battle reports so wasn't completely sure. Makes sense to me now that you say it why you might not want to completely abandon it - and I had not thought about that baiting idea, thanks.

Dolio