Cities of Sigmar: Unhappy about news updates

Matador

I still hold the view that high elves lost out because of a far future release of "light aelves". Though one might then say how come Dark Elve didn't lose out as we are getting "dark aelves" too though I'd wager it might simply be design ethos. From what we know of the dark ones they are going to be shadow aelves more like the mistweaver and monster units more like chaos and dragons - so not really what Dark elves share aside from coldones and the hydra. 

16 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

*keeps quiet in mawtribes* 😂😢

I think Ogre players would be more upset if they removed all the nonplastic models from Gutbusters and Beastclaw raiders along with leadbelchers then didn't say anything about the Mawtribes battletome other than its "coming... eventually".

Likewise I think the reason we haven't heard much comparatively from the Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz players is that Ironjawz have a very playable army right now and non of there model line has been retired recently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I think Ogre players would be more upset if they removed all the nonplastic models from Gutbusters and Beastclaw raiders along with leadbelchers then didn't say anything about the Mawtribes battletome other than its "coming... eventually".

Likewise I think the reason we haven't heard much comparatively from the Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz players is that Ironjawz have a very playable army right now and non of there model line has been retired recently.

I haven't seen much excitement from Bonesplitta players (all 15 of them) about the announcement, which is understandable. The odds of ever getting new Savage Ork models or even plastic heroes is looking pretty grim right now, especially with Ironjawz confirmed (again) for Underworlds and the Warcry Expansion only including one Bonesplitta hero.

Slaves to Darkness fans meanwhile are totally in the dark and could lose everything; get fragmented, get bolstered up or anything so they are totally lost without a paddle save for Warcry's awesome models. 

As for new models that's just the luck of the dice right now. Look at 40K. Eldar - a major old army with lots of finecast in core models - got a new Farseer and that was IT for their edition update and Codex. However they are now looking at new Banshees and the possibilities of even more new models - this all after a massive Chaos and Space Marine update. GW can't release models for all at once; so the yahve to tease things out as and when they can in a schedule many years in the making. 

Orruks might pull a short straw today but you can bet GW will revisit them. 

Edited by Overread

At some point every group will have some degree of dissatisfaction. As we’ve progressed those groups have become smaller as more armies have got 2.0 times, but you really can’t satisfy everyone. 

Over the last two weeks alone, I’ve seen CoS, Orruk and STD fans all complain about no releases and cuts. I’ve seen Gloomspite fans complaining about rules and Idoneth fans complaining about versatility, Seraphon players complaining about being forgotten and half a dozen about how much they hate Stormcast. There were people complaining about how much they hate the Bonereapers and they’re not even out yet. People complaining about no releases, then complaining about the releases. 

I think that just goes to show nothings going to be perfect, and GW definitely aren’t and will never be. It doesn’t do anyone any good to constantly focus on the negative. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they have external things going on putting them in a bad space. I’m sure that hobbying could and should be an escape from that.

Try focus on the positives and what you can gain, as no ones going to be completely satisfied. Instead of looking at how things aren’t, look at what they are and enjoy that. CoS will be here soon and it will have many many options for exciting new builds and armies. Yes it’s taken a bit of time, but it will come and what’s waiting really done? 

To those players who received cuts to their armies, it’s unfortunate and could have been handled a number of ways. It was handled how it was and players will just have to accept that. Those factions that were cut have been at risk, at least in my opinion, for a long time. The best thing to do is to decide how you want to move forward so you can ENJOY this hobby as much as possible. 

Will you try and run your units as counts as? There are many many options available if you go down that route. You can run an exclusive Legends army if you were so inclined. Starting a new army is also there as an option. You can keep your old models as keepsakes, as they are more than just their game value. Or you could trade/sell them, though I think you should always be careful with that option. 

At the end of the day, people should focus on enjoying this hobby and letting it make them happy. Don’t caught in negativity over a game, it’s not meant for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

At the end of the day, people should focus on enjoying this hobby and letting it make them happy. Don’t caught in negativity over a game, it’s not meant for that. 

While i see the wisdow in your words, i think the wound will only start to heal when the book comes out.  I belive if it had been released the flames would have be lower by now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thiagoma said:

While i see the wisdow in your words, i think the wound will only start to heal when the book comes out.  I belive if it had been released the flames would have be lower by now.

This is basically it - this wound won't heal until the book is out - even then there will be some ups and downs before it settles. Sadly until it comes out even those who have managed to move on and are ready for it and want to use the newly constructed armies from the ashes of the old can't because; well, they don't know how the new book will work. 

Still rest assured - 4 weeks should mark the period of time in which the book shall arrive. 

47 minutes ago, Overread said:

I still hold the view that high elves lost out because of a far future release of "light aelves". Though one might then say how come Dark Elve didn't lose out as we are getting "dark aelves" too though I'd wager it might simply be design ethos. From what we know of the dark ones they are going to be shadow aelves more like the mistweaver and monster units more like chaos and dragons - so not really what Dark elves share aside from coldones and the hydra. 

High Elves lost out because when AoS armies were segregated. Dark Elves kept most of their "Core" with Darkling Covens. High Elves lost Spearmen, Archers, and Silver Helms (Old Kits), the reprint of Island of Blood with Spire of Dawn was too short lived. Most everything else for HE was one-box/one-kit (Phoenix Guard, White Lions, and Dragon Princes) and these made up the core of their three armies.

Nothing wrong with Dark Aelves, but there's a distinct Evil theme to their figures that I dislike because I want my "Good" Elves to look like "Good" guys (Even if they were wrong about Malekith the whole time).

11 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Some potential bad news for us. There have been a bunch of 40k leaks recently which may have resulted in gw moving their releases forward. If this is the case we may see the AOS books moved back.

Not true, they already said that we're going to see only one miniature from Jain Zar vs Drazhar. If they wanted to move the release forward they would show both. Nothing has changed.

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

just because GW hasn't put out recent news 

If you think that’s the actual reason most people are upset, you haven’t been reading all of these posts. GW purposely allowed people to be strung along into thinking that armies they sold in AoS boxes would get properly supported by -guess- AoS.  They instead waited years with them being in a sorry state only to abruptly axe everything with very little said.  That’s why people feel like they are at least owed a better explanation, but, tbh, no explanation would make up for their lack of organization skills and communication that led people to waste money on their half-baked product support.  New players now have learned their lesson to only play this game if they are willing to always only buy the newest shinies- but even then I personally don’t trust them anymore. Even with newer releases you have to be ready for them to go back on what they’ve previously provided.

Ppl will hate on me for this one but->Every1 please buy gotrek now cause he totally breaks all Ally rules we have established up until now! NOT ENOUGH ALLY POINTS? DONT MATTER.  Don’t play a dwarf faction? DONT MATTER! Buy your way into relevance! (If they actually supported the AoS models they’ve sold up until now, I wouldn’t roll my eyes so hard at them pushing Gotrek)

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

High Elves lost out because when AoS armies were segregated. Dark Elves kept most of their "Core" with Darkling Covens. High Elves lost Spearmen, Archers, and Silver Helms (Old Kits), the reprint of Island of Blood with Spire of Dawn was too short lived. Most everything else for HE was one-box/one-kit (Phoenix Guard, White Lions, and Dragon Princes) and these made up the core of their three armies.

Nothing wrong with Dark Aelves, but there's a distinct Evil theme to their figures that I dislike because I want my "Good" Elves to look like "Good" guys (Even if they were wrong about Malekith the whole time).

Yeah, the bunch of skull and spike  things on dark elves makes it tricky to look "not evil".

You are also correct about the Battlelines, it made really hard to make an army, while the Dark elves could make it and fit in allies from their smaller factions. It is a shame, because kits like the ones in Order Draconis look great and some other High Elves had a lot of customization options. Archmage and Dragon Noble come to mind with their tons of weapons and acessory parts.

Gw could have kept: Order Draconis, and Archmage kit. The Dragon had 3 warscrolls, the archmage could have 2 (the on foot receiving the Loremaster spell) ,Dragon Noble with 2 diferent profiles and The Blades to keep the aestetics and the gameplay style of alpha strike.

The rest of the High Elves  like Loremaster, White lions, Charriot, Swordmasters, Anointed in finecast, reavers, High Warden and Skycutter  going the way of the Dodo.

That would removed 6 kits that were in production and the 4 i suggested would allow the whole line to be playable.

Using the High elves as Dark ones proxy leaves a lot of gaps. The sorceress have no customization (archmage had tons), the Serpentis lacks the Noble equivalent and the Dragonlords Horn and no Loremaster.

Of course the warscrolls can change a lot and reduce the gap, and we got no idea of GW future plans so...

6 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

If you think that’s the actual reason most people are upset, you haven’t been reading all of these posts. GW purposely allowed people to be strung along into thinking that armies they sold in AoS boxes would get properly supported by -guess- AoS.  They instead waited years with them being in a sorry state only to abruptly axe everything with very little said.  That’s why people feel like they are at least owed a better explanation, but, tbh, no explanation would make up for their lack of organization skills and communication that led people to waste money on their half-baked product support.  New players now have learned their lesson to only play this game if they are willing to always only buy the newest shinies- but even then I personally don’t trust them anymore. Even with newer releases you have to be ready for them to go back on what they’ve previously provided.

Losing trust is a huge chunk of the problem.  I started with Spire of Dawn and with the Skaven BT i was sure all i had to do was wait to get my place in the Sun.

Unfortunelly the place was too close to the Sun and all it did was burn my money 😐

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

If you think that’s the actual reason most people are upset, you haven’t been reading all of these posts. 

I was saying that’s why folks have ginned up frenzied Alex Jones style conspiracies (seriously, if we’re going to go gamergate on this, why not have a YouTube video titled “Freeguilds didn’t die... it was murdered!!!”), not the general dissatisfaction about poor release/promotional strategies. That, I do get, even if I find the sheer feverish nature of the reaction offputting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Sorry, but it's hard to get over losing hundreds of dollars and time spent painting and modeling after GW guts my army.

Most of models can still be used a count-ins. I already made the list once. IIRC you play dispossessed - use the warriors as Longbeards (if the rumour is true they will be renamed Clanshields and become regular duardin infantry) or slightly shorter Freeguild Guards with sword and shield. Cannons can still be used as Mercenary Companies. Unforged is a Grimwrath Berzerker (or even GOTREK!!).

With Aelves it depends on the unit: Swordmasters as Greatswords (or *gasp* Executioners), Dragon Blades as Drakespawn, Reavers as Pistoliers, High Elf Dragons as their Dark Elf counterparts, if you have Skycutter chariot on the flying stand just put him down and use it as regular or drakespawn chariot.

Freeguild: regular priests were promoted to Excelsiors, just add Gryph-hound. Only mounted General was lost.

See? When you think calmly about it everything can be fixed and there is no reason to panic. You haven't lost that much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michu said:

Most of models can still be used a count-ins. I already made the list once. IIRC you play dispossessed - use the warriors as Longbeards (if the rumour is true they will be renamed Clanshields and become regular duardin infantry) or slightly shorter Freeguild Guards with sword and shield. Cannons can still be used as Mercenary Companies. Unforged is a Grimwrath Berzerker (or even GOTREK!!).

With Aelves it depends on the unit: Swordmasters as Greatswords (or *gasp* Executioners), Dragon Blades as Drakespawn, Reavers as Pistoliers, High Elf Dragons as their Dark Elf counterparts, if you have Skycutter chariot on the flying stand just put him down and use it as regular or drakespawn chariot.

Freeguild: regular priests were promoted to Excelsiors, just add Gryph-hound. Only mounted General was lost.

See? When you think calmly about it everything can be fixed and there is no reason to panic. You haven't lost that much.

I don't want to play count-as. I play for the "immersion". I want what is shown on the table to reflect the army and battle. Warriors were also my favorite model tbh, they looked quite cute. I'd rather just kill my Dispossessed army and call it a day then find out how I can beat GW and "fix" my army to fit their new "Sigmar's Super Pals" battletome. I have not touched my Dispossessed since the cull besides moving them into storage and I am very thankful I never got around to doing the Warrior horde spam list I had been planning on running. I'm playing Kharadron Overlords now and I am never looking back.  

Edited by Ironbreaker
Missing word
  • Thanks 1

I recently posted the below in the Wanderers thread. I feel it's relevant here.

Unfortunately I think I'm giving up on Wanderers. I love them, but I don't want to run them as part of Cities and the Kurnothi as a potential future direction don't do it for me in terms of scratching the wood elf itch. (Note that I don't mind either the Kurnothi nor Cities of Sigmar. I just don't feel either captures what I want out of Wanderers. ) I've built and been painting a Nurgle army as my primary army for now while I've waited on Wanderers, but I think it would do me good to move on from Wanderers emotionally. I think my plan for now is to sell off my unpainted and some of my painted Wanderers (which is a lot of unpainted ones and a few painted ones), keep the few pained ones I just really like (like the Wild Riders from my sig), and wait to see what happens with the Light and Shadow Aelves as a potential replacement down the road.

If, in the future, the Wanderers return in some incarnation that I really like, I will be able to go back in and build the army from scratch. But in the meantime, or if they never truly return in a form that works for me (which ultimately I think will be the case now), it will remove an emotional weight from my hobby-world shoulders.

I hope people don't take this as me being a downer or a quitter as I actually see this as a positive step. I'm not angry at GW or upset with this turn of events. I think AoS in general has moved in a very positive direction and I want to move with it, not hold on to an old army that doesn't really fit anymore. I think this is a good and healthy decision to make and ultimately I will enjoy my hobby more for having made it. 

So basically, yeah, Cities of Sigmar is probably the final nail in the coffin for me with regards to Wanderers. But I've really come to appreciate AoS as a new thing, and I want to approach it positively while looking to the future of the game. I don't think Wanderers are the future.

The frustration comes when you try to hold on to your old army as it used to be, and I understand why people are attached to them (especially if you've spent a lot of money and worked hard painting and/or kitbashing). But for me it's just time to embrace the new stuff in AoS and not pine for the old. A part of me wishes they would have killed off the old armies earlier instead of dragging this whole thing out. If the wanderers, high elves, dark elves, dispossessed and free peoples weren't going to be supported fully, then kill them off and let people move on to new things.

I'm happy and content with my decision. I will play Nurgle for now and I eagerly await the light and shadow aelf releases.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yeled said:

But I've really come to appreciate AoS as a new thing, and I want to approach it positively while looking to the future of the game. I don't think Wanderers are the future.

The frustration comes when you try to hold on to your old army as it used to be, and I understand why people are attached to them (especially if you've spent a lot of money and worked hard painting and/or kitbashing). But for me it's just time to embrace the new stuff in AoS and not pine for the old.

Understandable, but many of us are new to the game WITH AoS.  When we bought in, there were no warning labels on these products indicating that they were “too old”, they were simply models for AoS. To us, it was not pining for the old, they were all valid new things for us to purchase to get into for AoS.  Only as time went on did it become clear that GW never had that intention.  Hence why many of us feel baited and switched.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Understandable, but many of us are new to the game WITH AoS.  When we bought in, there were no warning labels on these products indicating that they were “too old”, they were simply models for AoS. To us, it was not pining for the old, they were all valid new things for us to purchase to get into for AoS.  Only as time went on did it become clear that GW never had that intention.  Hence why many of us feel baited and switched.

This. There is no GW in my country but i read about Warhammer since childhood. High Elves were iconic to me and i couldnt imagine they would be squatted.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Overread said:

Eh anyone (casual or competitive) who was a high elf player or collector one of the several msaller subfactions won't have forgotten the cull; it will be right at the fore of their mind.

Apologies, what I meant by "casual" was the folks who don't follow all of the rumours and announcements, rather than any side of the Casual-Competitive dichotomy.

Clearly any one who was actively collecitng one or more of those armies will very keenly feel the loss (I know I do! I've got Dwarves, and all three of the original elf factions!)

If you don't obsessively keep up with the rumours and the hype train like we do, and are not actively collecting one of those factions, then you might not even realise that stuff has been discontinued yet.

I think that was the main reason they didn't announce it. If they did so then it would draw attention to it, and get even more people annoyed. This way, a lot of the casual fans might not know that anything is going on, until the new book turns up in their store. At that point they will see the range for what it is there and then, and won't know what was discontinued a month ago, what's been lost since the start of AoS. Newer players might not even know that some of the older stuff ever existed in the first place! They then come into the faction fresh, and don't have to immediately be made aware that some stuff is vanishing from the store while trying to figure out what's in their army.

Edited by EccentricCircle

Just my two cents from a longtime Beastmen fanboy and player.

Back in the day, the Beastmen were THE underdog. The sh*ttiest faction with the worst book and most broken (not in the good way) rules that were obsolete after half a year and 2 more releases were done.

I was this close to sell all of them when the End Times started, everyone in Chaos but us got new shiny cool toys, and after all of that WFB went puff.

Just like that, my sh*tty weak sauce army, whom I still loved the hell out of despite loosing more than winning and having more fun assembling and kitbashing all sorts of goats and bulls then playing, was ready to be sold.

Then 9Age came along and I tried that for a while. The nostalgia feel was nice, and they were better in that rule set than before in WFB so for a while I was happy. But then again, few years passed over and that feeling came and I was this close to take the pics and list them on Ebay.

As anyone, I despised AoS 1 for killing of WFB and didnt want anything to do with it.... but as time heals all wounds so did mine, and when AoS 2 came around and cool stuff like Melusai, Khinerai and the Big Morathi came out, with which I instantly fell in love.... I mean snake ladies and harpies.... thats as Beastmen as it gets! :D Starting a DoK army gave me a break of fresh air.... and before I finished putting my DoK togather we got.... Beast of Chaos surprise release !

BAM !  I was overjoyed.  And nobody saw that coming !

Sure all the named characters ? Gone, no new models, EndSpells being the exception. The book could use a bit more fleshing out, especially the 3 Herds, are imbalanced, some units are still obsolete as all hell (looking at you Gors, staple boy of all Beastmen....makes my fur covered heart weep with sadness)

But to be honest...after almost loosing hope and then the battletome came out....Ima gonna be honest here. I`ve never had this much fun with my Beastmen back in the day as I have now with BoC in AoS 2. The game sits well with me, and the army is so much fun. Right now the army is in better shape then ever (though it could use a lot of polish on the internal balance of some units). We even got Chimeras and Dragon Ogors back to the fold...and even Tzaangors ! BAAAAH! Love those Birdgoats! No actual BoC exclusive toys to play with, true (was really hoping to get Slaan/Khorne and PestiGors as well but ah well, that ship has sailed with Khoren and Slaanesh releases over with and nothing of that sorts being announced), but overall ?
Since BoC came out I`ve not only hold off from selling my good old Beastmen, but actually more than doubled my collection with bunch of cool old-new stuff that we did not have access to before.

Now the point of this little rant was to say > I get it, I really do. But as seen from my story above, I wanna say that dont expect much and you might yet be pleasantly surprised. Granted to those people whose armies have been squatted, this is gonna sound meaningless, but to other who like me, merely wait with clenched fists unsure what is gonna happen (I DO have an Empire army as well just to be clear here). Stay positive, hope for the best and dont get anxious and stressed out over this. Rather than trying your best to find all the faults you can, try finding the positives.

If nothing else there will be SOMETHING that allows us to bring some of the old toys back in the game, even if its just a half as*ed concoction of a sort. Sure I didnt want a Dwarfs/Elves/SCE/Humans book either. I wanted to see the glorious Empire of old in new colors. But I`ll certainly take it over nothing. 

So just wait it out for a little bit longer and stop all the negativity. Its fine if you wanna went, but other than that its not gonna help you. On the contrary its only gonna make you more anxious, angry and hateful. And thats really not what hobbies are for.

But hey, thats just my two cents. I am not preaching to anyone, just sharing my little story, hoping to show things can also get better when least expected. Take it or leave it for what its worth :)

• Like 5