Warband expansions with full decks

Pickle The Hutt

The new info posted about Beastgrave says that all new faction expansions will come with a full playable deck of faction cards (i.e. 10 ploys, 10 upgrades, 12 objectives). This is what many people (myself included) have always wanted as I only play the game casually and don't want to deck build for everyone coming over for game night.

I hope they rerelease the older factions with new boxes that also have full objective decks as I stopped collecting in season 1 once I had enough factions I liked for 4 player games.

• Like 3

Even if you’ve never touched Warhammer Underworlds, the new Core Set has enough cards to give you everything you need to start playing. In the set, you’ll find two pre-made decks for the warbands inside that you can learn the game with, plus a selection of additional cards for when you want to start deckbuilding.

Sorry - you're still going to be deckbuilding. All of the warbands will come with their core deck, as well as the universal cards, just like the previous seasons.

Edited by portablezombie

Yes, there will be universals for deck building as always. The difference is that warband expansions going forward will have full playable faction decks in addition to the neutrals. Before this, warbands only had 9 faction objectives so using neutrals was required. The new info posted today about Beastgrave says warbands will come with 12 faction objectives as well as full faction power decks.

I can just throw all universals in the trash and play with faction cards only with friends with no deck building needed.

Edited by Pickle The Hutt
  • Like 2

You could already do this with existing sets, however. Previous sets came with 10 Faction Upgrades, 10 Faction Gambits, 9 Faction Objectives, 10 Universal Upgrades, 10 Universal Gambits, and 11 Universal Objectives. You could purchase, say, Mollog's Mob, take all the faction cards, pick 3 Universal Objectives from the box, and have a legal setup. The only change is now you can have a full set of Faction-Specific Objectives instead of a mix.

For me, having 12 faction objectives is a big deal. That way I don't have to share objectives between decks, build specific decks for each faction, or have my friends choose 3 objectives from a common pool before each game. They can just grab the warband they like, I can toss them a full deck ready to go, and we can start playing.

It may not seem like much, but I hate deck construction for competitive games (I always supply everything to the group) as we only play casually. Having ready to go warbands out of the box solves my only issue with the game. While I won't actually throw universals in the trash, I won't ever use them.

• Like 1

The availability of universal cards in the warband decks hasn’t been identified. (IE how do we get more universal cards?)

These decks sound similar to the decks in Warhammer Underworlds: Dreadfane

Those decks have two complete decks, and all the cards are flagged for a specific warband.

from the Beastgrave Core Set Unboxing

“In the set, you’ll find two pre-made decks for the warbands inside that you can learn the game with, plus a selection of additional cards for when you want to start deckbuilding.

A small but significant change in Warhammer Underworlds: Beastgrave is how faction-specific cards work. Starting with the Core Set, every Warhammer Underworlds warband will have a minimum-sized deck’s worth of cards – that’s 10 Upgrades, 10 Gambits and 12 Objectives. This means that building your first deck is super easy, just grab everything that’s specific to your warband and you’re good to go!”

So, unraveling this seems to be that you’ll have your 2 core decks, and a selection of additional cards.

The warband decks will have a full minimum deck (so pull it out and play immediately) but there is no clarification about additional universal cards in a season (other than the cards from the core set).

It also will make it easier for them to just keep the warband boxes around because the warband and the cards for that warband will always be viable ... “Warbands will be exempt from cycling, along with any cards printed with a warband symbol.” ( Warbands and Competetive Play Article )

That wasn’t done with Seasons one and two. Universal cards were in the Warband packs ... along with warband specific cards.

So... where will we get more universal cards?

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Pickle The Hutt said:

Yes, there will be universals for deck building as always. The difference is that warband expansions going forward will have full playable faction decks in addition to the neutrals. Before this, warbands only had 9 faction objectives so using neutrals was required. The new info posted today about Beastgrave says warbands will come with 12 faction objectives as well as full faction power decks.

I can just throw all universals in the trash and play with faction cards only with friends with no deck building needed.

Gotcha - I misunderstood your post.

15 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

It also will make it easier for them to just keep the warband boxes around because the warband and the cards for that warband will always be viable ... “Warbands will be exempt from cycling, along with any cards printed with a warband symbol.” ( Warbands and Competetive Play Article )

That wasn’t done with Seasons one and two. Universal cards were in the Warband packs ... along with warband specific cards.

So... where will we get more universal cards?

This doesn't say that Universals won't be available with the warbands. I'm sure they're going to carry on the way it's been done previously - Universals will be in the expansions just like they always have been.

4 hours ago, portablezombie said:

This doesn't say that Universals won't be available with the warbands. I'm sure they're going to carry on the way it's been done previously - Universals will be in the expansions just like they always have been.

“Being sure” and having GeeDub come out and tell us are two different things.

Right now the magic 8 ball says “Reply hazy, check back later”

So, we wait until they clarify universal cards in warband boxes. :) 

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

“Being sure” and having GeeDub come out and tell us are two different things.

Right now the magic 8 ball says “Reply hazy, check back later”

So, we wait until they clarify universal cards in warband boxes. :) 

In the set, you’ll find two pre-made decks for the warbands inside that you can learn the game with, plus a selection of additional cards for when you want to start deckbuilding.

It says it in the description of the core set and shows photos of some of the Universals, like Snare and Confustion, on the Unboxing page, I'm not sure what additional clarification might be required.

3 hours ago, portablezombie said:

It says it in the description of the core set and shows photos of some of the Universals, like Snare and Confustion, on the Unboxing page, I'm not sure what additional clarification might be required.

Outside of the Core Set ... which provides additional cards for deck building will we still see additional universal cards in the warband boxes?

I am optimistic and hopeful that there will be additional universal cards in the warband boxes. But those traits don’t pay the bills. ;) 

IE other than getting a new warband, and the warband specific cards that come in that set, how much of a benefit will there be to getting the new warband boxes (other than the core set)? Will they still be a “must buy” because they include coveted universal cards? Or only needed if the warband strikes your fancy because there are no universal cards in the individual warband boxes?

And, If there aren’t any universal cards in the warband boxes, will we be seeing them all come out in boxes like the Leaders box from season 1 or Power Unbound from season 2?

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1

Lets look at the math, Beastgrave contains 437 cards. The previous expansion packs each had their own numbering, so it's unlikely they're going to sell us core set material in expansions.

The Core Set has 83 cards that I can see, and it looks like 8 Warbands in there from the artwork, and this is an assumption, so working back from there being 6 additional Warbands with each having its own unique deck of 32 cards (12 objectives + 10 gambits + 10 upgrades).

Each of the individual 6 Warbands x 32 cards = 192 cards, add that to the 83 cards we already know about = 275 cards, leaves us with 162 speculative cards, which divides nicely by 6 giving us about 27 universal cards per warband expansion and making each warband expansion about 59 cards each, which would more or less match the current packaging of 60 cards per expansion.

Edited by froo
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, froo said:

Each of the individual 6 Warbands x 32 cards = 192 cards, add that to the 83 cards we already know about = 275 cards, leaves us with 162 speculative cards, which divides nicely by 6 giving us about 27 universal cards per warband expansion and making each warband expansion about 59 cards each, which would more or less match the current packaging of 60 cards per expansion.

That sounds pretty darn reasonable from a back of the napkin math and available data! :)